View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
    Will Verizon ever get the Nuvifone?
    08-25-09 12:49 AM
    My GF went to Verizon corporate store today to upgrade her old regular phone and her son's phone to BlackBerry Tours on a family plan. She was there for literally 2.5 hours, and there are still features of the phones that do not work. She had to leave because she needed to be somewhere, and considered having them connect her old phone back up and forgetting about Verizon all together. She has been a 10-year customer, and spends a lot of money each month with a family plan for herself and three other lines, but felt that she got the absolute worst in customer service during this process. The manager just said I'm sorry, and didn't offer to help out in any way.

She wants to contact someone at Verizon and relay her experience if for no other reason than to make it known that there are problems at that particular store. Not to mention the fact that she still needs to deal with a rep to get her new phones working properly.

She is extremely bitter about this experience, and it has completely killed any positive vibes about getting her first BlackBerry, and she could care less about learning how to use it right now.

Is there someone that could provide a customer relations contact that might be willing to listen to her story, and potentially make things right with an unhappy customer?
    Well, first off, I am not a VZW rep - therefore I am not a creep. If tsguy wants to be one, that is his choice.

I also don't want you to take my input as anything which may or may not reflect negatively on VZW - or any carrier, for that matter.

I am a long-time survivor of telcos & smartphones & generally have about a dozen at my disposal, on various carriers, plus many more on my company accounts for our employees.

With that all out of the way, I have a few questions to ask - not so much for you to answer me with, but more for you to grab some clarity in your situation.

1) How much technical prowess does your girlfriend have? Smartphones are not simple devices. Even the much-vaunted iPhone has a fairly steep learning curve. Of the people in my circle of family & friends, I can imagine maybe less than 20% I would recommend a smartphone to - and that includes people who are doctors, business owners, bankers, politicians, law enforcement & even telco people. Mostly smart folks. My dad is very computer savvy & has several computers in his home - he called me once with an issue multi-booting his PC/Mac/Linux machine. He carries a Samsung flip phone. His wife, 6 years my junior, carries a laptop with every toy imaginable on it - she carries a Samsung Alias. Neither has any interest in a smartphone.

2) How much research did she put into her decision to upgrade to a smartphone? Did she understand these things do so much more than a regular phone, but at a sacrifice in being a phone? Most regular phones are far better calling devices than even the best smartphone and most computers are simpler to operate.

3) Does she have a need for smartphone features or does she just want a cool phone? Going back to question 2, I must say these things are way too much for most people & most current BlackBerry users got one mainly to keep up with the Joneses. Same can be said for iPhones, Palm Pres, WM phones & G1s. Marketing & image carries a lot of weight with some folks, in this day & age.

4) Why one for her & her son? Sorry, but kids don't have a need for a smartphone. In my mind, kids don't have a need for a phone, period - it is a convenience. Smartphones are a very expensive convenience. My first mortgage payment ($134) was less than what many people spend on a single month's service these days.

5) Of the 2.5 hours, how much was spent waiting for the next available sales rep, how much on selecting the phone & how much on in-store tutoring & setup?

5a) how much hand-holding did she need in getting these devices? Sales reps cannot spend all day teaching someone how to use every feature ona phone - especially one as complex as a smartphone. They might have time to jet through a basic LG flipphone, but the manuals for a smartphone can easily exceed 100 pages. The manual for my Nokia smartphone rivaled that for my CTS-V, and that has eight cylinders & over 500HP.

I wouldn't expect the Caddy dealer to teach me how to drive and it will take more that 2.5 hours to learn to drive a smartphone. The Caddy"s sticker, with full Lingenfelter tuner package, was over $100k - quite a bit more than your average smartphone.

Now that you've honestly answered these questions for yourself, know this: the VZW stores are no different than an equally busy AT&T store, Sprint kiosk or T-Mobile booth. Unless they have overstaffed with ten salespeople at a time there are only two customers in the store, and they are completely bored, none will spend an entire day answering questions. It doesn't make good business sense.

You choose your phone & the sales rep will more than likely assist in that decision. They will perform a basic setup & programming of the device, then show you how to navigate the device & make a simple phone call. After that, you're on your own.

Think about all of this to see if it puts your complaint about her experience in a better light.

And, if saying these things makes me a creep, its okay - I've been called worse by people who claim to love me. I can take it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 01:22 AM
    I'm a Linux guy and have been for several years. To sync my phone to my calendar and contacts I use Google Sync, and it gets the job done pretty well. My question is this: are there any plans by Verizon to work with RIM to get a Linux desktop manager? I've not booted into Windows to even load the software, but might just to see what it is. There seems to be very little to help us as far as RIM and Verizon goes. Thank you.
    08-25-09 05:57 AM
    I'm a Linux guy and have been for several years. To sync my phone to my calendar and contacts I use Google Sync, and it gets the job done pretty well. My question is this: are there any plans by Verizon to work with RIM to get a Linux desktop manager? I've not booted into Windows to even load the software, but might just to see what it is. There seems to be very little to help us as far as RIM and Verizon goes. Thank you.
    Ron, I have not personally heard of any plans to offer a Linux solution. They would first need to support Mac & that hasn't happened yet & may not happen anytime soon.

The only current solutions, besides the one you're currently using, would be to multi-boot into Windows or hack Linux to your BlackBerry. The former would require maintaining your contacts in Windows & the latter would fundamentally change your BlackBerry into something it wasn't intended to be.
    08-25-09 08:55 AM
    Ron, I have not personally heard of any plans to offer a Linux solution. They would first need to support Mac & that hasn't happened yet & may not happen anytime soon.

RIM is putting out Desktop Manager for MAC it is being released next month (September)
    08-25-09 10:52 AM
    wuppy
    10 ch
    08-25-09 12:03 PM
    ....In regard to the GF sitch above.....

Im an indirect agent, I get this response in all the stores i work at from many people, its just too fricking busy at the big stores for people to even have a chance at good customer service. The one closest to me has had to turn people away they were so busy, my suggestion is this.....try to get her to calm down a bit, and see if you can find a smaller store that has someone knowledgable about BB or Smartphones, at my particular branch its very doable to spend good time with a customer to help them feel comfy. As far as verizon is concerned I in no way negative on them, but they do really need to beef up those stores more, there all too small and theres too few of them....by the way if your in/near NY state i might be able to help you find someone that will make her feel better and explain stuff...find someone that has the ability, and resources to care(when that busy it is impossible)
    08-25-09 03:41 PM
    Hello, as you can see, this is my first post, and I really hope this is the right place for it. I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or not...But anyway, I tried searching but couldnt find my precise situation. I know it's not a difficult problem, I'm sure someone can help me out. =P

I am pretty sure it is possible to use my mother's new every two upgrade for myself because when I spoke with a very helpful woman from vzw she had told me so. Now my concern came along tonight when I went to order the tour for myself, under her phone line, of course to get the discount. She is a non-blackberry user, and doesnt have a data plan. During checkout I was required to select a plan, so I selected the 29.99 one. Which is fine, assuming I will not be charged for it, if I don't use it...correct???? I already have a data plan on my line, because I have a winmo phone. So this is where it really concerns me! I know once the phone comes I will have to activate it on her line, but for how long? And then when can I cancel the data plan etc...and activate it on my line? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Also, how, and where can I get the $70 mail in rebate? Pleases and thank you's =)

Thank you again!
    Dee
    This is easy to do and is done all of the time! It is what we call an "alternate upgrade" where we renew the contract on the line that is eligible but activate the phone on a different number on the account. I am not sure HOW it will work when done online... But worst case scenario you may have to call customer service to do an "esn change" (swap the phones)... once the "basic phone" is reactivated the 29.99 blackberry data feature will automatically fall off and vice versa (when the blackberry is activated the 29.99 or 44.99 blackberry code will automatically be put back on that number).
    08-25-09 11:05 PM
    I understand that to use your global capable smartphones overseas, the global feature needs to be activated by VZN. And one would not want to leave it "on" after returning because the data plan is far more expensive, and is charged at the higher rate even when you return to the USA.

So if you have a non-smart global phone such as the Samsung Renown or the newly available Escapade, can the global SIM remain on all the time as there is no requirement to have a data plan with these phones?
    08-26-09 06:06 AM
    Try VZW Global Team 1800-711-8300
    08-26-09 08:07 AM
    ....In regard to the GF sitch above.....

Im an indirect agent, I get this response in all the stores i work at from many people, its just too fricking busy at the big stores for people to even have a chance at good customer service. The one closest to me has had to turn people away they were so busy, my suggestion is this.....try to get her to calm down a bit, and see if you can find a smaller store that has someone knowledgable about BB or Smartphones, at my particular branch its very doable to spend good time with a customer to help them feel comfy. As far as verizon is concerned I in no way negative on them, but they do really need to beef up those stores more, there all too small and theres too few of them....by the way if your in/near NY state i might be able to help you find someone that will make her feel better and explain stuff...find someone that has the ability, and resources to care(when that busy it is impossible)
    I went to a fairly large VZW store in Athens, GA to buy 2 Storms and switch my Dare to another number on my Family plan and my sister's Samsung to my mother's number (Sis got the 2nd Storm.) Even though there were about 20 people in the store, we waited only about ten minutes and the rep did all the switching, including contact and picture moving, in less than an hour. I told the rep how much I appreciated his hard work. I believe it all depends on the rep, not the store size. I will admit that I had done a lot of research on the Storm and my sister has a BB for work so we didn't need hand holding.
    I guess it really comes down to luck-of-the-draw when help is needed or if a person knows where the good help is. I hope that the GF can get to your store or finds one with good help.
    08-26-09 11:13 AM
    I understand that to use your global capable smartphones overseas, the global feature needs to be activated by VZN. And one would not want to leave it "on" after returning because the data plan is far more expensive, and is charged at the higher rate even when you return to the USA.

So if you have a non-smart global phone such as the Samsung Renown or the newly available Escapade, can the global SIM remain on all the time as there is no requirement to have a data plan with these phones?
    That is correct, Robert - since Global calling does not require a subscription plan, you may leave it active. Just remember that you may wish to call VZW to add global calling or data components if you need them prior to your next trip.

08-26-09 12:42 PM
    Hello! I need some help! I purchased a Bluetooth headset (motorola H620) to use on my blackberry pearl (operating system updated this morning). They pair fine, all the features work fine (call, disconnect, voice dial, last number redial)... except there is no AUDIO. No Voices! I can't hear people and they can't hear me! Can someone help?
    08-26-09 01:03 PM
    Hello! I need some help! I purchased a Bluetooth headset (motorola H620) to use on my blackberry pearl (operating system updated this morning). They pair fine, all the features work fine (call, disconnect, voice dial, last number redial)... except there is no AUDIO. No Voices! I can't hear people and they can't hear me! Can someone help?
    First, try removing the profile for that BT device, then re-add it. If that still doesn't work, do you have another phone you could test the BT on? It may be a defective BT set.

08-26-09 02:16 PM
    I have a pearl, my 3rd. I got this one as a replacement earlier this summer. Half of my keypad lights are going out, I am eligible for an annual upgrade now. What I am wondering is if I can go in and get another replacement under warranty and then when I am eligible for NE2 in January I will upgrade. If I get the replacement will it effect my upgrade status, I am very strapped for cash now...PM with response if you have time, or just post here. Thanks...

08-26-09 08:30 PM
    I have a pearl, my 3rd. I got this one as a replacement earlier this summer. Half of my keypad lights are going out, I am eligible for an annual upgrade now. What I am wondering is if I can go in and get another replacement under warranty and then when I am eligible for NE2 in January I will upgrade. If I get the replacement will it effect my upgrade status, I am very strapped for cash now...PM with response if you have time, or just post here. Thanks...

warranty replacements do not change upgrade dates
    08-26-09 08:32 PM
    Thanks crackalack...ill be heading in tomorrow...hopefully it gets replaced and I'm not talked into a storm for 49.99...

08-26-09 09:22 PM
    Thanks crackalack...ill be heading in tomorrow...hopefully it gets replaced and I'm not talked into a storm for 49.99...

good luck! keep in mind, if they do a multifru (give you a different type of device) it will extend the upgrade date, so if you have a silver 8130, make sure you get a silver 8130
    08-26-09 09:28 PM
    Ok, if they offer me a flip I will just keep my pearl and deal with what I got until January. Thanks.

08-26-09 09:33 PM
    can anyone shed some light on how long Verizon's current "buy one get one free" blackberry sale will last?
    08-27-09 12:02 PM
    No idea act fast.
    08-27-09 12:21 PM
    can anyone shed some light on how long Verizon's current "buy one get one free" blackberry sale will last?
    At least another hour. I too would act fast.
    08-27-09 11:21 PM
    I am the main account on a family plan. What is the upgrade interval for the main line. Have they changed the new every two? Can you still do annual upgrades at upgrade price?
    \thanks for any help
    08-28-09 08:18 AM
    I am the main account on a family plan. What is the upgrade interval for the main line. Have they changed the new every two? Can you still do annual upgrades at upgrade price?
    \thanks for any help
    As far as I know you should be able to...
    You can check online on myverizon to see what prices it shows or you can check by calling 611 from your phone.
    But I'm pretty sure they are still doing the 1 year upgrade.
    08-28-09 09:12 AM
    When I get home tonight I will be activating my 5th Blackberry Tour/second green dot Tour. 1st 3 had defective trackballs.
    My first Green dot Tour has a casing/bezel mis alignment. Top peice/ear peice is off and where the casing meets the bezel right by the head phone jack is off a lot. As well as major lag when sending any type of message. Takes a good 10 to 15 seconds to send and go back to which ever inbox I am sending from
    I have the new one and it doesn't seem to have these same casing problems.

However upon opening the battery door it looks like the inside is defintiely not from a new Tour. There are some scratches and a metal peice I can see looks like it may have rust on it.

See pic below. Look at it in full size and you can see the peice next to it looks new and clean while the peice in question does not.
    Sorry about the blurryness but you can still see the difference.

So, if I have t send this one back and I probably will I am done with the Tour.

What are my options?
    I have a Curve.
    I have a Storm.
    I don't want to get anything but a Blackberry.
    Will Verizon allow me get back my upgrade like it never happended and wait until either the new Curve 85** or Storm 2 launches or will I be stuck with swappign Tours until I finally get a good one?
    08-28-09 01:20 PM
5,111 ... 134135136137138 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD