View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
    Question for the Verizon gods...I bought two storms one for me and one for my fiance and neither of us put the insurance on our phones. I just received my second bill and was wondering if I could still put it on our account? The phones are still in good shape and was wondering if I could add it over the phone or if I needed to go into the Verizon store. Thanks for any help you can give.
    07-22-09 08:45 AM
    I just broke my storm and have a new one being overnighted. My DM isnt working properly. If i take the old one and the new one into the verizon store what all can they transfer. Can they transfer my apps and email accounts or only my contacts?
    Contacts are the only thing that will transfer unless they use DM as well.

Question for the Verizon gods...I bought two storms one for me and one for my fiance and neither of us put the insurance on our phones. I just received my second bill and was wondering if I could still put it on our account? The phones are still in good shape and was wondering if I could add it over the phone or if I needed to go into the Verizon store. Thanks for any help you can give.
    No you must put insurance on the phones within the first 30 days of activation of the phones.
    Last edited by bs1two; 07-22-09 at 09:16 AM.
    07-22-09 09:14 AM
    I am wondering why Verizon can open their GPS for some blackberry's but not all. It seems that I read that they opened it up for the Storm to bring in more revenue and customers. I am presently a Curve 8330 owner and I feel that I have been filed under some type of 'lower class' Verizon customer. It would be fair that they open it up just as the other carriers have done. The current economy dictates it. When the economy finally does turn for the best, those companies that looked out for their 'all' customers will be the ones that will be successful.
    07-22-09 01:50 PM
    GPS DOES WORK ON YOUR CURVE. You have to use BB Maps. There are different GPS chips in the Storm and prior BB's. Please search before posting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 01:56 PM
    I'm hoping to get some information before I have to head over to VZW and figure this out.

My son's ENV2 (purchased in January) has been having problems for about 2 weeks. The phone will hold a charge for about 12 hours with texting only (not acceptable) but if he makes calls the battery drains very quickly (less than 4 hours). Also, the 7, 8, 9 and 0 keys on the face of the phone are not working - press the key and nothing in the display.

He took it to VZW last Thursday and they agreed to replace the phone under warranty. The new phone arrived today and it's a Dare instead of an ENV2. Because it's a warrantly replacement, it was shipped without a battery or charger. Of course, his ENV2 battery doesn't fit a Dare; it appears the charger is interchangeable.

I know VZW will sometimes replace phones with a different model and that's fine. I don't know if they're replacing ENV2's with Dare's or if this was just a mistake. If it was intentional, how do I get VZW to give him a new battery? Should it really be as easy as asking for one?

Thanks,

S
    07-22-09 05:19 PM
    I'm hoping to get some information before I have to head over to VZW and figure this out.

My son's ENV2 (purchased in January) has been having problems for about 2 weeks. The phone will hold a charge for about 12 hours with texting only (not acceptable) but if he makes calls the battery drains very quickly (less than 4 hours). Also, the 7, 8, 9 and 0 keys on the face of the phone are not working - press the key and nothing in the display.

He took it to VZW last Thursday and they agreed to replace the phone under warranty. The new phone arrived today and it's a Dare instead of an ENV2. Because it's a warrantly replacement, it was shipped without a battery or charger. Of course, his ENV2 battery doesn't fit a Dare; it appears the charger is interchangeable.

I know VZW will sometimes replace phones with a different model and that's fine. I don't know if they're replacing ENV2's with Dare's or if this was just a mistake. If it was intentional, how do I get VZW to give him a new battery? Should it really be as easy as asking for one?

Thanks,

S
    It sounds like a mistake - I had to reread your question to make sure it was warranty & not insurance. Asurion insurance will sub phones. VZW will not, as long as the phone is still available, which the enV2 is.

Someone miskeyed the order or packed the wrong phone. Call them and ask for a fix.

GPS DOES WORK ON YOUR CURVE. You have to use BB Maps. There are different GPS chips in the Storm and prior BB's.
    That is correct - three types, actually.

• Standalone
    • aGPS
    • Standalone with aGPS connectivity

Standalone functions just like those Garmin & TomTom units. It works without assistance from the cellular network. Carriers don't block this type of GPS. Standalone is slow at reaction, as it relies on satellite signals only and can be hampered by buildings, bridges, overpasses or weather disturbances.

aGPS uses cell carrier resources, data & PDE sources to pinpoint your location. This can be network intensive, but is much faster at responding. It reads satellites, but requires the cell network to find those satellites & also uses tower location triangulation todetermine where you are. Carriers do not block aGPS on your phone - instead, they may disallow access to some resources. This is perfectly within reason since you are not paying for those resources. To protect their network & customers, VZW allows access to their network & resources ony to approved software. Their approval testing is pretty simple & includes a killer that many software makers refused to comply with - the software cannot gather information for the profit of the software company - in other words, Google & others' major revenue source would be shut off. It seems like a minor thing, but for you to use free software compromises the privacy everyone on the network within your cell area. So far, only RIM has complied with the privacy issue.

Standalone+aGPS is a hybrid it can function on its own and uses aGPS to cover when there is no sat signal or when first finding satellites. This is dramatically lower in data & resource usage than aGPS all by itself. It also doesn't require open access to the PDE, which means you can use it without affecting me.

For VZW BlackBerrys the Storm & Tour were equipped, by RIM, with Standalone+aGPS. All previous BlackBerry models were equipped only with aGPS.

So it isn't when will VZW unlock anything - if asked, probably 3/4ths or more of customers don't want their info being mined by a developer like Google, so VZW does not allow access by those unapproved software apps. You lose, which is fine with me, because I don't lose. Your desire for a toy should not trump my desire for privacy.

07-22-09 05:56 PM
    O.K. I did a little searching and didn't find exactly what I was looking for so If my question has already been answered then flame away.

I want to find out what my PIN code is for my SIM card in my Tour so I can lock it if I want. I've had it unlocked but the Verizon Global CS reps I talked to said that there is no way to find out the PIN code and to just leave it alone. I find that to be a little strange. Any help would be appreciated
    07-22-09 07:37 PM
    O.K. I did a little searching and didn't find exactly what I was looking for so If my question has already been answered then flame away.

I want to find out what my PIN code is for my SIM card in my Tour so I can lock it if I want. I've had it unlocked but the Verizon Global CS reps I talked to said that there is no way to find out the PIN code and to just leave it alone. I find that to be a little strange. Any help would be appreciated
    I believe once you have a CDMA device unlocked it can't be brought back to the CMDA network. Do you mean you had it unlocked to be used on GSM?
    07-22-09 08:54 PM
    Question I have a store that is opening this weekend for the first time. Are they likely to have discounts on phones or offer some free accessories?
    07-22-09 08:59 PM
    I believe once you have a CDMA device unlocked it can't be brought back to the CMDA network. Do you mean you had it unlocked to be used on GSM?
    I believe pqhn is talking about the SIM not the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, it's unlocked for good.
    07-22-09 09:02 PM
    Yes. I had it unlocked for GSM. I don't think you can "unlock" a CDMA only phone.

So..... any idea about the PIN?
    07-22-09 09:04 PM
    One would never know. I doubt the phone part, but accessories might be up to the store manager and or area manager.
    07-22-09 09:04 PM
    Alright, I'll see what happens and if no deals then just buy it at Costco
    07-22-09 09:07 PM
    The BlackBerry PIN is assigned to the BlackBerry device.

The SIM PIN/PUK, or PIN Unlock Kode, is found under Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card>BlackBerry Key

The unlocking function is also within the device. Once unlocked, the device will always be unlocked - unlocking is a one-way process, but this is also separate from the SIM PIN/PUK. If I remember correctly, the PIN/PUK change codes are as follows:

Handset IMEI: *#06#

Change SIM PIN
    **04*oldPIN*newPIN*newPIN#

Change SIM PIN2
    **042*oldPIN*newPIN*newPIN#

Change SIM PUK
    **05*oldPUK*newPUK*newPUK#

Change SIM PUK2
    **052*oldPUK*newPUK*newPUK#

Remember, once changed, the SIM PIN & PUK cannot be retrieved by your provider - lose the new codes & you're up the proverbial creek.

Because of this, I won't provide any assistance beyond the above - change this data at your own risk.

And remember - I do not work for VZW, nor do I represent VZW in any manner. If you mess something up, don't cry to 611 about some VZW rep giving you the wrong info. If this doesn't work, just remember me as the AT&T guy who moonlights at Sprint with a weekend gig at Cricket & MetroPCS. If it does work, send $100 to.....

07-22-09 10:09 PM
    All right. After talking to 2 reps that were adamant about my sim card not having a pin, I finally talked to one that gave me the PIN code and my PUK1 code. However, she then proceeded to tell me that I did not have a PIN2 code and asked who told me that I did. I replied that my PHONE is telling me I have a PIN2. Well this confused her greatly, and the conversation ended with her saying she had no idea what a PIN2 and PUK2 were for and didnt understand why they were on my phone.

Any ideas?
    07-22-09 10:18 PM
    Thanks for the info, but knowing how to change the codes doesn't help If I don't know the old codes. So far I've got my PIN and PUK, now I need my
    PIN2 and PUK2, but according to Verizon they don't exist.

The BlackBerry PIN is assigned to the BlackBerry device.

The SIM PIN/PUK, or PIN Unlock Kode, is found under Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card>BlackBerry Key

The unlocking function is also within the device. Once unlocked, the device will always be unlocked - unlocking is a one-way process, but this is also separate from the SIM PIN/PUK. If I remember correctly, the PIN/PUK change codes are as follows:

Handset IMEI: *#06#

Change SIM PIN
    **04*oldPIN*newPIN*newPIN#

Change SIM PIN2
    **042*oldPIN*newPIN*newPIN#

Change SIM PUK
    **05*oldPUK*newPUK*newPUK#

Change SIM PUK2
    **052*oldPUK*newPUK*newPUK#

Remember, once changed, the SIM PIN & PUK cannot be retrieved by your provider - lose the new codes & you're up the proverbial creek.

Because of this, I won't provide any assistance beyond the above - change this data at your own risk.

And remember - I do not work for VZW, nor do I represent VZW in any manner. If you mess something up, don't cry to 611 about some VZW rep giving you the wrong info. If this doesn't work, just remember me as the AT&T guy who moonlights at Sprint with a weekend gig at Cricket & MetroPCS. If it does work, send $100 to.....

07-22-09 10:23 PM
    So I signed up for VVM, where do I get that application from you guys? Its Visual Voice Mail-VVM
    Please pm with the info/link/OTA

07-23-09 01:41 AM
    So I signed up for VVM, where do I get that application from you guys? Its Visual Voice Mail-VVM
    Please pm with the info/link/OTA

If you're on a storm or a tour go to application center if you've hidden your original home screen icon.
    07-23-09 01:49 AM
    I have a Curve 8330!

07-23-09 01:53 AM
    You can upgrade at any time by paying full price. Just because you're going to add a data plan doesn't make you eligible to upgrade with a discount any time you want.

I am in total agreement with vatothe0, you can upgrade at full retail. Or wait until you can get your discount. Sound good? ok!!
    07-23-09 02:12 AM
    I have a Curve 8330!

Last I checked 3rd party VVM apps might work but I didn't think that Verizon VVM works on a curve at this point.
    07-23-09 02:17 AM
    I have a Curve 8330!
    Last I checked 3rd party VVM apps might work but I didn't think that Verizon VVM works on a curve at this point.
    That is correct - VVM is NOT compatible with any BlackBerry released before Storm. This includes Pearl, Curve & WE.

07-23-09 08:44 AM
    I'm sorry, thread TL;DRTFT. Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered a thousand times upthread.

All i need is a quick linky to the Verizon VIP promotional thingy. I'm in the promo program, have the reminder card at home...but i'm at work.

(Specifically I'm trying to figure out if my NE2 date per my vzw.com account info is 10/07/2010, does that make my NE1 date 10/07/2009? I SO hope so)

Thanks so much in advance. It's awesome that you guys are doing this. There are provider reps who love what the do and truly know their sh*t, and then there are kids workin a retail job. And we consumers can only guess which sort we're working with when we go to a brick-and-mortar. So thank you again.
    07-23-09 10:50 AM
    It sounds like a mistake - I had to reread your question to make sure it was warranty & not insurance. Asurion insurance will sub phones. VZW will not, as long as the phone is still available, which the enV2 is.

Someone miskeyed the order or packed the wrong phone. Call them and ask for a fix.
    Thanks - it was mistake. The store replaced the ENV2 with a new one because they mis-keyed the order.
    07-23-09 11:32 AM
    I hope I'm not repeating a question that's been asked a bunch already. When is MN switching from Alltel to Verizon? I want to get a new phone and only have 2 months left of my contract with Alltel. I'm eligible to switch if they an port my number but they checked and cannot port it yet. I've heard vague dates (Mid Sept, October) but nothing more specific.
    07-23-09 12:42 PM
5,111 ... 120121122123124 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD