View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
    I'm trying to use the new SongID app. When i launch it, i get this msg

"The application songid has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy.".

How do i go about fixing this problem?
    We're connected thru company enterprise.
    Okay - quick BlackBerry connection refresher.

BIS= Phone-Carrier-RIM-Data Source

BES= Phone-Carrier-BES-RIM-Data Source

Any of these points can allow/restrict data or connectivity. The one in your control is the Phone.

First check your access permissions for that application on your phone. Allow it, if needed.
    The carrier & RIM points only restrict access if the data is damaging to network - SongID is not something either would restrict.

So, if at this point, you've checked your settings and it still doesn't work, try reinstalling the app, paying special attention to any security alerts. If it still doesn't work, you know it is your BES admin that has a block on the software access. This means you will need to request that your IT folks allow it access. If they say no, you're stuck. They often will use the same or tighter policies for BlackBerry as they do for company computer and may not oblige your request.

For some, the added gateways needed for BlackBerry are worth the extra hoops to jump through. For others, they are unnecessary & just slow things down. But if your employer requires BlackBerry, you may not have much choice - it is just the way BlackBerry works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 08:24 PM
    I have a quick question please. I have a curve 8330 and the bis data plan. I have a new job which will only allow me email access through bes. They gave me a password. I went to enterprise activation and put in my email and password and the screen trys to activate but just ends up timing out. Can I have both BIS and BES on the same phone? Do I have to do something extra to add BES? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    07-02-09 08:48 PM
    I have a quick question please. I have a curve 8330 and the bis data plan. I have a new job which will only allow me email access through bes. They gave me a password. I went to enterprise activation and put in my email and password and the screen trys to activate but just ends up timing out. Can I have both BIS and BES on the same phone? Do I have to do something extra to add BES? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    No - it is one or the other. BES has all the features of BIS, plus the ability to route through a company enterprise server.

I cannot stress enough how bad an idea BES is for a personal phone. It costs more, it subjects you to the IT policies at work and it allows your employer to see, monitor and record everything you do on your phone.

Better solution would be to hold onto your current phone & get your employer to provide you a work phone - then only use that phone for work.

07-02-09 09:03 PM
    Please help i know the answer to this question is in here somewhere, is there some kind of prefered customer program from verizon?
    07-03-09 10:04 PM
    Please help i know the answer to this question is in here somewhere, is there some kind of prefered customer program from verizon?
    Verizon VIP.

07-03-09 11:38 PM
    Thanks pal that's what I neede for my search

07-04-09 01:23 AM
    my charger is broken the lil silver piece inside is lose and bad ... no connection is being made? is there a way around this besides sending it in and making a claim?
    07-04-09 01:28 AM
    my charger is broken the lil silver piece inside is lose and bad ... no connection is being made? is there a way around this besides sending it in and making a claim?
    On the phone side or the charger (wire) side?

07-04-09 01:32 AM
    I have a question. I'm not sure what is the better solution. Right now I have a 2 phone family plan for my wife and I. We have 700 minutes shared. We both upgraded our phones in Spring 08. However, I've been thinking about upgrading to a BB curve's for both of us. I am a Verizon Wireline employee (FiOS).... so I get a discount. My wife is a State employee, so she also gets a discount.

1. Do you think VZW would allow us to upgrade our phones now, even though we are about 16 months into a 24 month contract?

2. We use roughly 800 minutes a month of airtime, but we do mostly call other VZW customers. We also use about 100 or so texts each (I expect that # would decrease with the BB since most of our txts are between us, and we would use bbm). Should I consider breaking up the family plan and getting smaller airtime plans for us each, so we can both apply our discounts?

3. What should my bill be for the family plan 2 bb curves with the data plans and texting and around 700 minutes of airtime?
    1. Your primary line might be eligible for an early upgrade, but your secondary must wait until it's eligibility date.

2 and 3. Doing two seperate single line plans is almost always more expensive than a family share plan. Since you said you use about 800 minutes between the two of you, I'm going to just estimate you're on the 1400 minute plan now. Your state discount really depends on what state you're in, and I don't know the FiOS discount off the top of my head, so I'm just going to do a rough estimate that you get 20% off. 20% only comes off the access of the primary line and the cost of the BB data, so your bill (1400 minutes, 2 $30 BB plans, $5 texting on each line, and insurance on both cuz I always estimate with insurance) would be about $138 before tax. If you seperated into two 450 single lines, with the same features as prior, your bill would also be $138 before tax. I'd suggest staying on the 1400 plan, because it's more minutes between the two of you, and you get the benefit of Friends and Family.
    07-04-09 11:26 AM
    1. Your primary line might be eligible for an early upgrade, but your secondary must wait until it's eligibility date.

2 and 3. Doing two seperate single line plans is almost always more expensive than a family share plan. Since you said you use about 800 minutes between the two of you, I'm going to just estimate you're on the 1400 minute plan now. Your state discount really depends on what state you're in, and I don't know the FiOS discount off the top of my head, so I'm just going to do a rough estimate that you get 20% off. 20% only comes off the access of the primary line and the cost of the BB data, so your bill (1400 minutes, 2 $30 BB plans, $5 texting on each line, and insurance on both cuz I always estimate with insurance) would be about $138 before tax. If you seperated into two 450 single lines, with the same features as prior, your bill would also be $138 before tax. I'd suggest staying on the 1400 plan, because it's more minutes between the two of you, and you get the benefit of Friends and Family.
    Thanks so much for the reply. So I would end up having to buy one bb on ebay most likely, and bill would be around $140 either way. Thats not bad, as we are spending about $110 now anyway. I actually dont think we need 1400 minutes. We are around 800 each month total, but almost everyone we call is another vz cell phone. our out of network usage is like 100 minutes or so a month.

As for the discounts, my discount is 20% and my wife's would be20% as well, i think... she is a NJ state employee.

If they're around the same cost, wouldn't it be better to break them up since it is easier to upgrade phones on a single account?
    07-04-09 11:34 AM
    when do you think most verizon stores will begin stocking the tour? and when they get them in stock is there a waiting list?
    07-04-09 11:42 AM
    when do you think most verizon stores will begin stocking the tour? and when they get them in stock is there a waiting list?
    They will have in stock on the 12th for the release. Will there be waiting list? Who know, I am sure they will sell out. You can pre-order them at www.vzw.com.tour
    07-04-09 11:51 AM
    They will have in stock on the 12th for the release. Will there be waiting list? Who know, I am sure they will sell out. You can pre-order them at www.vzw.com.tour
    oh so they dont get them in a few days ahead of release?
    07-04-09 11:56 AM
    Thanks so much for the reply. So I would end up having to buy one bb on ebay most likely, and bill would be around $140 either way. Thats not bad, as we are spending about $110 now anyway. I actually dont think we need 1400 minutes. We are around 800 each month total, but almost everyone we call is another vz cell phone. our out of network usage is like 100 minutes or so a month.

As for the discounts, my discount is 20% and my wife's would be20% as well, i think... she is a NJ state employee.

If they're around the same cost, wouldn't it be better to break them up since it is easier to upgrade phones on a single account?
    If you only use about 100 out of network, I definitely wouldn't do two single lines. It isn't easier to upgrade on a single account because the 450 minute plans aren't eligible for early upgrades so you'd still be waiting the whole 20 months. At least on a family share, your primary line has the option of upgrading early.

I was under the impression that you were using 800 to out of carrier calls. If you go with the 700 family share with BB data, $5 text, and insurance, you'd only be looking at around $132 (by the way, the estimates before I forgot to add the seconary line on one, and the text on the other, so you'd be looking at around $148, not $138... sorry).

Don't forget, these are rough estimates and I'm attempting to do the math in my head (I can't find my stupid calculator...) and are before tax.
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-04-09 at 12:01 PM.
    07-04-09 11:57 AM
    oh so they dont get them in a few days ahead of release?
    I am sure they do, but they will not be out on the floor or availble to see one. Unless the store manager cheats
    07-04-09 11:57 AM

That prolly going to be negatory. I know it sounds like that would be nice fresh start and you would both get new equipment and discout. But the curves are I think$ 49 after a 2 year contract right now so that's$100 for the devices plus the unitsial start up months fees of about $80 per line and the ETF on the old lines of roughly $90 per line. So your talking about $460 you cavel you old lines and start new separate BlackBerry lines. I was also told by Verizon that if you cancel with ETF you have to wait 6 months before you can resign a new contract with Verizon. Anybody care to confirm or dispute these numbers?

07-04-09 12:03 PM
    That prolly going to be negatory. I know it sounds like that would be nice fresh start and you would both get new equipment and discout. But the curves are I think$ 49 after a 2 year contract right now so that's$100 for the devices plus the unitsial start up months fees of about $80 per line and the ETF on the old lines of roughly $90 per line. So your talking about $460 you cavel you old lines and start new separate BlackBerry lines. I was also told by Verizon that if you cancel with ETF you have to wait 6 months before you can resign a new contract with Verizon. Anybody care to confirm or dispute these numbers?

Yep. 6 months. It's a business policy there to prevent false-cancelations (since it is a breach of contract). Now, if you cancel and switch to another carrier or just cancel entirely and go, "OMG this was a bad idea; I want my service back please!" you can always call national customer service and they can just reinstate your old account (regardless of 6 months), but if you cancel, you have to wait the 6 months it takes for your account to drop out of the system in order to activate new phones with new numbers and service on a new account number.
    07-04-09 06:53 PM
    And the real grabber with that is that, in six months, you're beyond any shot of getting out of the other carrier's contract. So now you get to pay TWO separate ETFs.

07-04-09 08:51 PM
    When I add Blackberry Tour to my cart, I have two options:

1. Add 450 min, voice plan for $39.99 and then data plan for $29.99. Total comes to around $70.00

2. Add Blackberry Nationwide plan for $80.00

I can't see any difference in these two plans. Do you know what additional feature is included with Plan 2 for an additional $10 compared to Plan 1 above ?

Thanks
    07-05-09 02:27 AM
    When I add Blackberry Tour to my cart, I have two options:

1. Add 450 min, voice plan for $39.99 and then data plan for $29.99. Total comes to around $70.00

2. Add Blackberry Nationwide plan for $80.00

I can't see any difference in these two plans. Do you know what additional feature is included with Plan 2 for an additional $10 compared to Plan 1 above ?

Thanks
    I believe that the blackberry nationwide plan includes unlimited texting.
    07-05-09 08:48 AM
    Actually, the difference is that the blackberry nationwide plan includes BES instead of BIS, not texting.

07-05-09 09:42 AM
    I have a Verizon Curve 8330 and I am running OS v4.3.0.127 (platform 3.1.0.72) do I need to update my OS? Can I and how? Thanks...
    07-05-09 01:12 PM
    I have a Verizon Curve 8330 and I am running OS v4.3.0.127 (platform 3.1.0.72) do I need to update my OS? Can I and how? Thanks...
    You should be on OS4.5 and it is a simple upgrade. Connect to DM and follow the upgrade path. I prefer to do this very early or late in the day to minimize incoming phone calls.

During the upgrade, don't turn anything on or off and do not disconnect. Total time is usually less than an hour, but can vary dramatically based on your computer & connection speed.

07-05-09 02:33 PM
    I have a question...I am heading to London for a long weekend and having blackberry messenger working while I am there is an absolute must for work. Will it work with my normal run-of-the-mill plan I have right now? Or do I need to add something? Thanks...
    07-05-09 06:40 PM
    You might want to look into the global traveler 8830 option. The 8330 will not work at all in London. If you go with that route, you will also use of the phone and data. THe data is a bit more expensive, but for a week the proation will be worth it. Call VZW they can give all the details
    07-05-09 06:52 PM
5,111 ... 111112113114115 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD