Heard on the radio this morning that my area code is running out of numbers and may be split by the PUC...... If my area code is changed will my 7 digit number change too? What other implications does this have for my cellular service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 09:10 AM
    Sounds like a question for twins...
    Cuz as far as I know... they shouldn't change your number just the numbers that are new to the area would have a different area code.... dunno for sure
    08-14-09 09:13 AM
    Might get a new area code but not likely. If it did change you would keep the last 7 digits.

08-14-09 09:16 AM
    From my exerience, if you do get a new area code, there is usually an overlay for a period of time. Would program your device to pick up the number and I think both number will work for a bit of time. This will let you get the word out and of course change all business stationary, etc
    08-14-09 09:23 AM
    Just keep in mind; THIS is why you should put in the area code AND the number when you call on your cell... there might end up being prefixes and numbers that are the same but w/ diff area codes.
    Seen it happen.
    If I recall right... and i may not...
    When this happened in a few Cali communites a couple years back the people got to keep their area code until/unless they chose to do an MDN change.
    I THINK
    08-14-09 01:29 PM
    Sometimes a change of number is required, but that is the exception, rather than the rule.

How it plays out depends on negotiations between your PUC & the local telcos and there is always a buffer period for affected exchanges.

It will take a little discovery as to how the site works, but look at NANPA : North American Numbering Plan Administration for more info.

08-14-09 03:50 PM
    It will take a little discovery as to how the site works, but look at NANPA : North American Numbering Plan Administration for more info.

Great site, but a PITA to learn where things are at.
    08-14-09 04:02 PM
    Great site, but a PITA to learn where things are at.
    Read it again, Brother D - I never said it was easy.

08-14-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD