I have a massive data charge which I've been attempting to resolve with customer service and also via the Verizon "contact us" email link. I've described the details in various other threads on this forum.

Unfortunately it's been two weeks since my original call to customer service. I've been given various estimates regarding a reasonable amount of time to wait for a call back. I was originally told, by the call center supervisor I spoke with, that I would get a follow up phone call from her superior in 24 hours. When that didn't happen and I called back, I was told that it would be more realistic to wait 72 hours and advised not to log another request for a call back since that would "reset the 72 hour clock" (so I didn't). When the first week went by without any follow up I was advised to try the "contact us" email link (so I did).

I had hoped this matter could be addressed more quickly. My bill is due 3/29, a date that is taking on increased urgency now that I will be travelling out of state at that time for several days due to a death in the family.

So I don't know what to do. I am likely to call customer service again and reset that clock if I have to (if that was even accurate information). I have not gone to a Verizon store to get this addressed in person, but that is starting to seem like a not-too-bad idea.

Though it would no doubt take much longer to push through, the only other route that seems open at this point is taking this to arbitration, per the terms of the customer agreement. Some of the best assistance I've had has come from this forum. Has anyone here taken their concern to arbitration? If so for what reason and was it worth it?
    03-23-09 02:23 PM
    I thought this was all being taken care of...

Call back - you're not resetting any times - go by the store, something.

Arbitration might be valuable, but knowing the original situation, don't be surprised if any agreements are not in you favor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 02:36 PM
    Thanks again for your feedback...

"You know who" did what he could. He's out of the picture for now. Today is the first weekday following those efforts, so it may be a bit early -- but over the weekend my own family crisis unfolded and with the out of state matters pending at the end of the week there's a whole new level of urgency on my end.

As for the arbitration option -- I realize it would be slow and there are no guarantees, but I would also likely have to pay the bill beforehand anyway at whatever rate settled is on (thanks to additional calls, visits to stores, whatever) by 3/29. So arbitration would merely look into whether additional credit could be extended, I would imagine.
    03-23-09 03:58 PM
    In addition to the above suggestions, consider writing a letter to the CEO of VZ. CEO letters get special attention in many organizations.

03-23-09 04:02 PM
    In addition to the above suggestions, consider writing a letter to the CEO of VZ. CEO letters get special attention in many organizations.
    Agreed - you may never hear from the CEO, but his staff can do things others might get canned for.

It is worth a shot.

03-23-09 04:05 PM
    Two reactions to replies thus far -- 1) i'm liking the pumped up and fiery speak truth to power idea, and believe I can draft a compelling letter. I'm on it. 2) I'm unsure whether the dearth of posts regarding previous arbitration efforts is assuring inasmuch as the company does a good job of keeping things from escalating to that level, or disconcerting for a host of paranoid-sounding possible explanations.

I would imagine customer service has some investment in diverting cases from arbitration.
    As ever thank you for your ideas and support.

03-24-09 01:57 AM
    Do some searches online for some corporate contacts! Forget the letter and make phone calls to the corporate contacts! It is much easier and quicker over the phone than by letters. I don't quite understand the situation but I know that contacting corporate will get more results!

03-25-09 12:08 AM
    If the situation is clearly your fault, then this won't work, but I had an issue with Sprint and fought with them for several months before filing two complaints with the BBB. They are forced to respond to the complaints and will generally give you what you want in order to resolve the issue and not have it sit on the books.

Arbitration is expensive and time consuming. And unless they are clearly in breach of contract, you most likely don't have a case.
    03-25-09 12:26 AM
    This is nuts. Its a billing error caused by how the system does changes.

Go by a store .. be very nice. Don't go in asking for a manager. You may end up with one, but don't demand it right away. I looked at your other thread and you are not talking about that much money. You are over the limit most stores can credit, but they can help with a route to get it solved.

As far as your phone service is concerned, they can code it as "disputed" and your service will not be disconnected. Go ahead and pay the regular charges.
    03-25-09 01:19 AM
    This got handled. Non issue now .

03-25-09 02:56 AM
    Thanks again for all the really excellent feedback. As it turns this situation was finally resolved over the phone today, with the data charge undone and simply reduced to the regular monthly unlimited rate. It didn't take a whole lot of explanation, there was no need for begging, and by the end my breathing had cleared up after a couple weeks of tightness and discomfort.

nc.breez -- I agree the situation was nutty. In my own defense, the thought of arbitration was born of desperate times... Seems doubtful a talk at the store with anyone other than a manager would have worked in my case since a call-center supervisor had already tagged a note on my account to the effect that the offer stands at 50% credit for the charges. But I get the point that it's important to respect the game and give each employee a shot at helping to the extent they are authorized to do so. Also it's surprising that stores could extend credit for what amounted to two years' worth of monthly data charges. Hopefully that's an assertion I'll never have to test.

Twinsx -- I appreciate all you do in trying to stabilize the nuttiness and squelch the ire that can erupt on this forum.

Shannonk -- I would certainly have tried your suggestion before going arbitration and was prepared to write HQ and even the CEO.

J.long -- you've educated me about the usefulness of the BBB. Nice to know and seems like that suggestion could have taken this matter exactly the way I'd imagined arbitration could. I'm not sure how expensive arbitration is -- per the terms of the customer agreement, the process is all conducted in-house, so it would seem the need for pricey representation would be less pressured.

I'm still intellectually curious about arbitration cases -- once resoved are parties sworn to refrain from further public discussion of the matter?
    03-25-09 03:20 AM
    Thanks again for all the really excellent feedback. As it turns this situation was finally resolved over the phone today, with the data charge undone and simply reduced to the regular monthly unlimited rate. It didn't take a whole lot of explanation, there was no need for begging, and by the end my breathing had cleared up after a couple weeks of tightness and discomfort.
    Good - prayers answered. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find someone who understands the unique situation and rectify it, doing the right thing instead of holding firmly to policy.

Policies are there for a reason and, in most circumstances, holding to them is a good thing for all customers. However, there are always cases where policies are insufficient and clear thinking & logic needs to be applied outside the box. My impression with VZW is that they encourage thinking outside the box, but some people are better at it than others.

As you know, my initial reaction was one you didn't want to hear, but after I thought about it, my thinking moved outside that box and I realized a reasonable persson would think as you did. After all, you had BlackBerry service & your device was defective. Someone not in telecom would assume all would work and normal activity would be covered.

I am glad resolution has finally come - as I said before, VZW usually comes through. Sometimes though, like with all large companies, a little persistence is in order.

03-25-09 01:31 PM
    J.long -- you've educated me about the usefulness of the BBB. Nice to know and seems like that suggestion could have taken this matter exactly the way I'd imagined arbitration could. I'm not sure how expensive arbitration is -- per the terms of the customer agreement, the process is all conducted in-house, so it would seem the need for pricey representation would be less pressured.

I'm still intellectually curious about arbitration cases -- once resoved are parties sworn to refrain from further public discussion of the matter?
    Unless there is an injunction from the judge that prevents you from sharing, you are free to share and discuss the information as much as you wish. For this type of case, there would be no confidentiality issues after the case is decided.

If you settled with Verizon out of court, they might have you sign a non-disclosure agreement to prevent any bad publicity, but again, this type of case is so trivial that I doubt that would happen.

As far as the litigation occurring in house, that is only if you are choosing to settle out of court.

There is no party who would have favor in determining where the trial would be held, but Verizon would likely prefer to hold the trial in a state civil court where they have their headquarters. You could probably bring the trial back to your state in a federal court, assuming you don't live in the same state as where Verizon is incorporated.

The litigation process would be expensive, far more costly than the amount you are disputing. And you would be going against Verizon's general counsel or the outside lawyers they have on retainer, who are very very experienced in handling issues like this.

So, I'm glad you got it all taken care of.
    03-25-09 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD