08-12-10 06:11 PM
34 12
tools
    Is Apple prepping for a Verizon iPhone?

Rumor has it that Apple is buying millions of CDMA chipsets for a Verizon iPhone launch, according to TechCrunch.

The tech blog published a story Sunday citing unnamed sources that said Apple ordered millions of CDMA chips from Qualcomm in what looks like preparation for a Verizon Wireless iPhone. TechCrunch said that the chipset order is due for December, which could mean a January launch for a Verizon iPhone.
    TechCrunch says a Verizon iPhone could have specs similar to those of the iPhone 4.

TechCrunch says a Verizon iPhone could have specs like those of the iPhone 4.
    (Credit: CNET)

AT&T and all the other carriers around the world that are selling the iPhone use a network technology called GSM. Verizon Wireless uses a competing technology called CDMA. The main supplier of CDMA chips is Qualcomm. So if Apple is indeed buying CDMA chipsets, then it would make sense that it might be developing a Verizon iPhone.

Speculation about a potential Verizon iPhone has popped up periodically since the iPhone's runaway success began in 2007. It's been reported that Verizon originally turned down the exclusive rights to offer the phone due to unappealing demands from Apple. Recently, there's been much talk about Verizon possibly offering the iPhone in January.

Whether Verizon will get an iPhone has never really been in question--rather it's been a question of when. I've said in the past that I believe such an iPhone wouldn't be available until next summer at the earliest, since a Verizon iPhone would likely support Verizon's new 4G technology, LTE.

That network is expected to be launched by the end of the year. At first it will be available in a handful of markets. Typically the way these network launches go is that data cards for laptops are developed first. And then about a year later handsets come on the market with chips supporting the new technology. So if the LTE market develops as previous wireless technologies have developed, the soonest a commercial LTE chip would be available would be summer of 2011.

But there is a chance that development of the LTE chips for smartphones has picked up momentum. A CDMA/LTE version of the iPhone giving it access to both a 3G and 4G network would be a home run for Verizon.

Of course, there is also the possibility that Apple is developing another type of product for Verizon's wireless network. At this point, it's too early to tell. Even TechCrunch is hedging its bets on the rumors.

"I can't say with 100% accuracy that an iPhone will hit Verizon store shelves in January, but all of the signals point that way," writes Steve Cheney in his TechCrunch post. "I may be proven wrong, but based on my history dealing with components and selling to Apple, a Verizon-compatible iPhone looks to be a done deal."
    How many times have we heard this....

But who knows... might really be in the works now.
    08-09-10 02:41 PM
    I hope not just so I don't have to deal with all the returns because they can't get reception
    08-09-10 02:53 PM
    Do we really need another one of these threads?
    08-09-10 02:56 PM
    Do we really need another one of these threads?
    When it's front page news on MSN.com why not? AT&T reported in its SEC filing "about reducing its dependence on any single handset.." If they fix the antenna and it has LTE bye bye BlackBerry. I came very close to upgrading my Tour to the 9650 but I'm waiting until the Fall and the LTE devices. OS6 will be out and the bugs will be worked out of it by then. The only thing I definetely need my device to do is push email with OWA and iOS and Android can both do it.
    08-09-10 04:38 PM
    I hope not just so I don't have to deal with all the returns because they can't get reception
    Come on, you should know better than that! How many iPhone owners will even admit there is a problem when there is? Yeah, almost none! They think 5 dropped calls in a week, or even a day is OK as long as they have their iPhone! Personally, if I dropped 5 calls in a year I'd be pizzed!
    08-09-10 04:49 PM
    Come on, you should know better than that! How many iPhone owners will even admit there is a problem when there is? Yeah, almost none! They think 5 dropped calls in a week, or even a day is OK as long as they have their iPhone! Personally, if I dropped 5 calls in a year I'd be pizzed!
    I browse the Apple forums sometimes and it's hilarious especially the iP4 one. ANY topic putting the iP4 in a bad light is quickly deleted. I myself posted too and it was quickly deleted. I got the following email:

Dear ******* (otacon72),

Apple removed your post on Apple Discussions titled "Consumer Reports proves it's a hardware defect NOT software issue." because it contained the following:

Speculation or Rumors

...lmao. If you ever need a good laugh go read the Apple Forums.
    08-09-10 06:14 PM
    If it does come to Verizon I will definitely buy one! But I am not holding my breath either...
    08-09-10 07:03 PM
    verizon sucks. idk what all the hype is about
    08-09-10 07:18 PM
    verizon sucks. idk what all the hype is about

And AT&T/Cingular is any better????

IMHO VZW has much better customer service and area coverage than AT&T can ever hope for. However, this is solely based on my own personal experience of having lived in many areas of the mid-west and east coast U.S. (as well as visited other countries abroad on both networks). In the end, to each their own, it’s a matter of personal preference and experience.

Not that it really matters to me at all. I just thought the MSNBC article interesting (on-topic), to say the least, as it brings up the topic of LTE/CDMA devices (Verizon iPhone). I would like to hear about other up and coming devices though.
    Last edited by Craterz; 08-09-10 at 09:14 PM.
    08-09-10 08:05 PM
    I was wondering a few things:
    1. Isn't Sprint on CDMA?
    2. Isn't Sprint 4G available is the bigger markets now?
    3. So why on earth would Apple waste it's time with a 3g VZW iphone, when it could go on 4g network immediately?
    4. Not to mention, isn't the AT&T exclusivity deal with Apple until sometime in 2012?

Just wondering......
    08-09-10 11:53 PM
    1. Isn't Sprint on CDMA?
    3. So why on earth would Apple waste it's time with a 3g VZW iphone, when it could go on 4g network immediately?
    4. Not to mention, isn't the AT&T exclusivity deal with Apple until sometime in 2012?

Just wondering......
    1. YES
    2. define Big market.. signal is still spotty in most areas.
    3. bacause iphone 4 still runs on 3G contrary to what most owners think.. they see the 4 they think 4G
    4. TRUE but isn't the exclusivity limited to a GSM device ONLY?
    08-09-10 11:57 PM
    1. YES
    2. define Big market.. signal is still spotty in most areas.
    3. bacause iphone 4 still runs on 3G contrary to what most owners think.. they see the 4 they think 4G
    4. TRUE but isn't the exclusivity limited to a GSM device ONLY?
    Ah,
    Thanks for clarifying #3. I have no idea that a loophole like that exists for #4.
    08-10-10 12:12 AM
    Verizon has over 180 million subscribers...that's a lot of potential iPhone users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 07:45 AM
    1. Isn't Sprint on CDMA?

Just wondering......
    Also, Sprint's 4G technology is wimax, where AT&T and Verizon are going to LTE. So, developing the next iphone for LTE will get them the two largest carriers in the US. If they went with Sprint, they would have to have a completely different chipset for wimax and would be stuck with their smaller base of customers.
    08-10-10 12:26 PM
    Verizon has over 180 million subscribers...that's a lot of potential iPhone users.

Verizon has 92 million subscribers, but it's 45% ownership partner Vodafone already has the iPhone, so 180 million wouldn't be correct for new potential subscribers.
    08-10-10 12:29 PM
    No issues with Verizon. Great network. Verizon iPhone...? Still would have bad reception right? Not sure if I could get away from BlackBerry. Vodafone having the iPhone is a good sign that Verizon could one day take posession. Dunno, my thoughts though.

08-10-10 02:01 PM
    Why would the iphone have bad reception on verizon?
    08-11-10 07:10 AM
    What will be interesting if/when it happens, is how many people dump/leave/pay ETF/etc to get out of their AT&T contract and then grab a Verizon iPhone with better coverage/reception .......
    08-11-10 08:40 AM
    Why would the iphone have bad reception on verizon?
    Because of the way it's built. I had never had dropped calls on AT&T and when I got the iPhone, I dropped calls left and right. The dropped call problem is definitely an iPhone issue and the idea is that it'll have the same problem on any other carrier. The other idea is that the dropped calls on the iPhone are due to AT&T's traffic. People like to say that no other carrier has iPhone issues, but that's because no other carrier has the number of iPhones on its network. Let's hope that by the iPhone going to another carrier, it'll free up traffic on all involved carriers and provide an ideal performance experience for iPhone users. Until then, AT&T iPhone users will continue to have problems. However, all of AT&T's other phones, in my experience, have not had any issues. Apple, when proposing the iPhone to carriers, wanted to maintain full control over the phone's design. No carrier was willing to do that, except AT&T, and it may be why the phone has such an issue performing/hanging onto calls reliably.
    08-11-10 08:46 AM
    Apple is less likely to build a Sprint CDMA 4G phone. Sprint uses WiMax for 4G and no other carrier has plans for WiMax. Most plan to use LTE including Verizon which is more like GSM.

The most likely scenario is a CDMA 3G/4G phone that won't have to be revved for more than a year.

Also if Apple wants more penetration in China they have to do CDMA since China's Unicom has a hybrid network that uses CDMA for data services.
    08-11-10 08:55 AM
    I don't think people understand that Droids use more data than iPhones.. so can Verizon handle the iPhone? Yes..

Verizon Smartphone/Droid Customers Use More Data than iPhoners, Says Validas - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS
    08-11-10 04:20 PM
    Verizon has outstanding coverage here. If I go into the country, that use to be Alltel. Yeah, outstanding coverage there also.

If this does happen, I will get one. Torch, please. If by chance this phone has dropped call issues I really don't care.

I want an iPhone and I hardly ever use a phone as a phone.
    08-11-10 06:44 PM
    Apple is less likely to build a Sprint CDMA 4G phone. Sprint uses WiMax for 4G and no other carrier has plans for WiMax. Most plan to use LTE including Verizon which is more like GSM.
    100% wrong. Do some research on WiMAX and LTE before spouting nonsense.
    08-11-10 06:51 PM
    100% wrong. Do some research on WiMAX and LTE before spouting nonsense.
    What is wrong about what he said?

First he speculated about Apple not building an iPhone for Sprint. We can't say whether that's true or not.

He then said Sprint uses WiMAX for 4G. That is true. He may not have mentioned that Sprint plans on trialling TD-LTE for possible future deployment. But, as of right now, his statement is true.

Then he said that "most" plan to use LTE. Depending on your definition of "most", again he's correct. If your problem is with the term "no other carrier plans on using WiMAX", that statement can be taken as incorrect. However, in the US, it currently appears that most will be deploying LTE for 4G.

Finally, he said LTE is like GSM. That's probably where he's most incorrect. It's built by the same alliance that built UMTS, which was designed from the ground up to share many of the GSM components so a GSM operator could upgrade more easily. In that sense, LTE is part of the "GSM" family, and also probably why Verizon joined the GSM Alliance now that they're deploying LTE.

So clearly he wasn't 100% wrong. What nonsense do you think he spout? Or do you just disagree with his speculation that Sprint won't get an iPhone?
    08-11-10 09:37 PM
    Um, LTE is a simple software update away from WiMAX. Speculating that Sprint won't get LTE phones because they're currently operating the only 4G network in the country over WiMAX is simply idiotic logic.
    08-11-10 10:00 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD