I did a battery pull earlier this afternoon, and after I powered back up I noticed the App World icon on my BB screen.
    I am absolutely 100% certain that I never installed it. I browsed the App World site from my desktop PC once or twice, but never browsed or downloaded anything from App World from my Blackberry.
    I'm wondering if the app was pushed from VZW? I have "Browser Push" enabled in Advanced Options. Would that allow VZW to push whatever apps and upgrades they wanted to my BB? Or possibly another setting? Just curious.
    Even more interesting is the fact that after this happened the available memory had increased by almost 1 MB over what it had been after previous battery pulls although the OS version remains the same (4.5.0.77).
    Thanks!
    06-10-09 01:10 PM
    It's from a service book that RIM pushed to your device. You can click on it to install App World or you can just hide it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ArmaK; 06-10-09 at 05:17 PM.
    06-10-09 02:13 PM
    OK. Thanks.
    Any idea why this would give me more memory though?
    I'm not complaining at all, but it seems odd - install more stuff, get more memory.
    06-10-09 02:31 PM
    It's from a service book that VZW pushed to your device. You can click on it to install App World or you can just hide it.

Rephrase that please. It's a service book that RIM pushed to the devices.
    06-10-09 03:04 PM
    OK. Thanks.
    I'm not complaining at all, but it seems odd - install more stuff, get more memory.
    Quite possibly coincidental, maybe? Could there have been an auto-dump of old messages which deleted some large attachments?

And, as Darth said above, VZW doesn't push anything to your device - RIM does.

06-10-09 03:20 PM
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking this must be from the carrier. Now I know better.

Only problem with your theory Twins is that I don't store messages on my BlackBerry. Oh well. It will remain a mystery for now.
    Thanks again.

06-10-09 06:47 PM

And, as Darth said above, VZW doesn't push anything to your device - RIM does.

Doesn't RIM have to get carrier permission first? To avoid conflict of interest of carrier provided services...
    06-10-09 07:21 PM
    OK. Thanks.
    The battery pull that you did would more than likely free a lot of memory.
    06-10-09 07:25 PM
    Doesn't RIM have to get carrier permission first? To avoid conflict of interest of carrier provided services...
    Doubt it, Verizon has that application program called application center, seems like it would be a conflict of interest... But, I don't know for certain.
    06-10-09 07:26 PM
    Same here. Showed up all on its own even though I don't want it

06-10-09 07:40 PM
    Same here. Showed up all on its own even though I don't want it

Delete it from your service book and it will come back. The easiest way to get rid of it is, to "hide" it, or create a folder named "junk" and put it in there, like I do.
    06-10-09 07:42 PM
    I dislike the forced icon's. yes I know about hiding them.. but I wan't something deleted I should be able to delete it

this happens with messengers as well
    06-10-09 08:58 PM
    The battery pull that you did would more than likely free a lot of memory.
    I do a battery pull fairly regularly, and I always check the memory before and after. The available memory is definitely greater than it was before the App World icon appeared.

I've been working on Twins' theory and trying to find something that has been removed. So far it looks like everything is the same as it was before, only I have the App World icon, which I did move into a folder, and there's more memory, by almost 1 MB.

Not a big deal, but I'm curious, now that I know where the icon came from, if sending service books might change or improve memory usage.

Thanks for all of the replies; this is definitely educational.
    06-11-09 09:45 AM
    I did a battery pull earlier this afternoon, and after I powered back up I noticed the App World icon on my BB screen.
    I am absolutely 100% certain that I never installed it. I browsed the App World site from my desktop PC once or twice, but never browsed or downloaded anything from App World from my Blackberry.
    I'm wondering if the app was pushed from VZW? I have "Browser Push" enabled in Advanced Options. Would that allow VZW to push whatever apps and upgrades they wanted to my BB? Or possibly another setting? Just curious.
    Even more interesting is the fact that after this happened the available memory had increased by almost 1 MB over what it had been after previous battery pulls although the OS version remains the same (4.5.0.77).
    Thanks!

I thought I had gone crazy! Thanks for confirming that I'm only 50% crazy.......LOL!
    06-11-09 01:01 PM
    Don't forget - App World is a RIM product. I don't believe VZW supports it or receives any revenue from it.

06-11-09 01:07 PM
    Don't forget - App World is a RIM product. I don't believe VZW supports it or receives any revenue from it.

That reminds me, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.
    At the time I thought this was a VZW push.
    Learn something new every day. At least on this site I do.
    06-11-09 01:13 PM
    Don't you love how RIM can do what they want and everyone blames verizon? And the sheep still baa for RIM. Its like the contractor who built your home stopping by to paint your front door fluorescent pink just because he wanted to. RIM gets to clutter your phone with their garbage and they know you will probably be ticked at the carrier.

06-11-09 06:22 PM
    Don't you love how RIM can do what they want and everyone blames verizon? And the sheep still baa for RIM. Its like the contractor who built your home stopping by to paint your front door fluorescent pink just because he wanted to. RIM gets to clutter your phone with their garbage and they know you will probably be ticked at the carrier.
    Geeze - all of this anger for a simple shortcut? I mean, that is all it is. A link to the AppWorld download.

I'd hate to see your reaction if someone really did something bad to you.

Oh wait - I have seen that from you. It is very effective, but definitely not pretty.

06-11-09 06:54 PM

I'm not blaming anyone.
    I don't feel anyone else is either in this thread.
    Just curious and seeking enlightenment.
    06-12-09 09:25 AM
    My Vzw BB downloaded that app about 3 weeks ago I think. I put it in my junk folder like suggested previously.
    06-12-09 09:53 AM
    I'm not blaming anyone.
    I don't feel anyone else is either in this thread.
    Just curious and seeking enlightenment.
    I don't think anyone in this thread has been really blaming anyone else in this thread (although Dogs broils RIM pretty well). Yet I can see Dog's point - lately we seem to have had too many who will use anything available to vent against VZW.

06-12-09 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD