I'm already getting raped for the data plan. I don't wanna give them more money. I mean think about it..UNLIMITED DATA should include web surfing. That is data right?

I had an LG VX8300 and surfed at 14.4k modem speeds while I was traveling. Which wasn't so bad for email checking and chatting. It used voice minutes, but I used it on weekends and nights, so surfing was free.

Can I do this with the VZW Curve?

Thanks!
    05-11-08 04:50 PM
    To answer your second question about using your minutes to use you BB as a tethered modem, that would be a simple no, it can not be done.

To do it you need the tethering feature on your account so a tethered connection will authenticate & connect.
    05-11-08 05:55 PM
    How about via bluetooth?
    05-11-08 07:07 PM
    Still have to have the tethering option on the plan. It will take you to a webpage to sign up for it if you don't have it on the plan. It did that to me the other day and I have it on my plan, Verizon just made a mistake when they were troubleshooting.
    05-11-08 07:39 PM
    you didn't legally tether at dial up speeds, legally, you would have been paying $60 per month instead of minutes, unfortunately, that's the bad part of having a more data friendly phone. The hacks don't work on smartphones.
    05-11-08 07:50 PM
    Dang. I hate the idea of ponying up more for what should be included.
    05-11-08 08:02 PM
    Dang. I hate the idea of ponying up more for what should be included.

i think you meant to say what YOU think should be included. tethering is a whole different animal when it comes to bandwidth than surfing on your phone.
    05-11-08 08:37 PM
    Plus its not truly unlimited. I talked with a rep. There is a 5 gig limit per month. I am on all the time with it tethered and I have never gone over. A lot of you tube might do it but you should be ok. He told me it is because people found out how to steal cable and run it to their laptop which takes up huge amounts of memory and bandwith I assume.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 08:45 PM
    If you are on the $29.99 BB data pkg to tether (broadband access connect) it would be an addt'l $30. If you are on the $44.99 data plan than its an addt'l $15. Either way you look at it it is going to be a total of $59.99/monthly. But it is something you can add on and off the acct at any time. But from my knowledge there is no way to go around that and access the web by using your curve as a modem. You don't need to purchase any addt'l software, just add the feature.
    05-11-08 10:37 PM
    The hacks don't work on smartphones.
    They work if you know what you're doing. But since it's not "legal" you'll have to do a little bit of searching and take the risk on your own.
    05-11-08 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD