Let me first say, I'm not promoting this petition, nor do I condone signing it. I have not done so myself even.
    I was wondering if anyone else had come across this, and what their thoughts were. I'm afraid of getting spammed. I'm happy to support causes that might help me out in the future, but I'm also overly-wary of online scams and rarely hand out my info (this one asks for PIN and ESN). Thoughts?

Verizon Blackberry GPS Petition Petition
    09-06-08 10:35 PM
    Agreed, I would not sign anything that asks for this information. I know Palm just went though a major cloning concern and is still realing from it. With that info, very easy to clone a phone.
    09-06-08 10:38 PM
    Interesting, I've never heard of "cloning" on a phone. I've got some reading to do I guess!
    09-06-08 10:40 PM
    Although, the information that is listed in that link, does say "or nothing if you so choose", I will not be signing it either. I don't trust any of those online Petitions. I remember, a few years ago, when a petition was circulating around the Internet, to doing away with Verizon's UI menu, and nights starting at 7PM. And look, nothing has changed, other than Verizon modifying their UI menu a "little".
    09-06-08 10:45 PM
    Interesting, I've never heard of "cloning" on a phone. I've got some reading to do I guess!
    Here is some info on it:

Phone cloning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HackersCatalog.com. Cloning Cellular Phones!
    09-06-08 10:49 PM
    Well if you're interested in people's full names, PINs and some ESNs, click on the "The Undersigned" link. I personally think theses people are nuts for putting themselves out there. However, I hope it works and my GPS gets unlocked, I think I'll hold my breath in waiting....
    09-06-08 10:50 PM
    I know with the Palm issue it was resolved with a OS update. VZW actually has shut accounts down and notified the customer to update the OS. Once this is done and verfied by VZW the account is re-activated. Harsh action, but it was for the customers security.
    09-06-08 11:12 PM
    Although, the information that is listed in that link, does say "or nothing if you so choose", I will not be signing it either. I don't trust any of those online Petitions. I remember, a few years ago, when a petition was circulating around the Internet, to doing away with Verizon's UI menu, and nights starting at 7PM. And look, nothing has changed, other than Verizon modifying their UI menu a "little".
    To funny! I haven't thought of phone cloning in ages. While living in SoCAL in 1995 my 1st phone was cloned while driving down the 405. My normal $30 for 30 minute phone bill was over $400 and I freaked! Cellular One took care of everything, they were as nice as vzw csr.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 10:56 AM
    To funny! I haven't thought of phone cloning in ages. While living in SoCAL in 1995 my 1st phone was cloned while driving down the 405. My normal $30 for 30 minute phone bill was over $400 and I freaked! Cellular One took care of everything, they were as nice as vzw csr.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree, have not thought about cloning in years, since the digital age. None the less it did happen with the entire Palm 700 series and some 650's. Glas to hear the carrier helped you out though.
    09-07-08 11:00 AM
    check snopes: "inboxer rebellion" entry (I can't post URLS yet)

Online Petitions Do Not work.
    09-09-08 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD