If so I have a question.

Are you able to see the ESN number on a previous phone that was returned as defective?

If they can see the serial number when tracking to see if the phone was returned, can they see that ESN number as well?

thanks

denny
    08-08-09 09:40 AM
    If so I have a question.

Are you able to see the ESN number on a previous phone that was returned as defective?

If they can see the serial number when tracking to see if the phone was returned, can they see that ESN number as well?

thanks

denny
    Care to expand on why you would need to know this info?

Is VZW saying the device was not returned? or are you trying to return a different device ?
    08-08-09 09:44 AM
    They are saying it was not returned, when in fact it was according to the tracking info I had BACK IN DECEMBER

Once I saw that it was delivered I threw away the tracking info(yes I know bad move) but to charge me $499 6 months later is crazy.

I have a thread about the issue already as it's being "investigated" right now by VZW.

I just wondered if they can see if the phone is being used elsewhere or something?
    Last edited by fiveonethird; 08-08-09 at 09:51 AM.
    08-08-09 09:48 AM
    They are saying it was not returned, when in fact it was according to the tracking info I had BACK IN DECEMBER

Once I saw that it was delivered I threw away the tracking info(yes I know bad move) but to charge me $499 6 months later is crazy.

I have a thread about the issue already as it's being "investigated" right now by VZW.

I just wondered if they can see if the phone is being used elsewhere or something?
    At a rep level this hard to see. ESN number can be recycled after time and can end up in another device, so this would prove nothing. If a rep - enters this number into the system and it does pull an account, they maybe putting their job on the line for accessing an account without reason to.

If VZW is investigating, I would let it run its course and see what happens.

Good luck
    08-08-09 10:11 AM
    I wish I could understand why these charges are showing up sixmo later. the OP isnt the first I've seen who dont see the charges till mo's later. I'm confused because I've seen the charges show up w/in weeks of the 10 day deadline.
    I would like to take the OPs word that he did send the device back w/in the 10 day period and that something is fishy. At this point I do... the only thing to do is what he did by puting an inquiry in. Keeping the return slip would have been a better idea. I keep mine for the duration of the 2yr contract on file just in case.
    As for tracking the ESN to see if it was put on someone elses acct. Probobly not something a customer care rep or tech support could or would do. Thats what the case research peeps would prolly do. I might look it up but I wouldnt be able to disclose anything to you regarding.
    I dont think this is very informative... I'm just confused on why these charges arent appearing for 4-6mos after the exchange.
    Last edited by heather.law; 08-08-09 at 11:10 AM.
    08-08-09 10:19 AM
    As lastraid said, the ESN can be recycled on another phone, which would make the whole point moot..

I'm w/ Heather though.. Why is this being addressed now, 8 months after the fact?

I once had a guy call in to track an ESN.. Said his phone was stolen and he thought it was a "friend" who did it.. Wanted me to track and give him the info of the person that had it..

I politley told him, "Well sir, do you know we do have the option to report a device lost or stolen, and it can be placed on deny list immediately? Unfortunately, I am unable to give you the information that you requested. Is there anything I can assist you with today?".

That was an interesting call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 10:59 AM
    LOL... I love those calls where you are just so matter of fact and then you just get dead silence on the other line and you imagine the guy standing there with his jaw on the floor... LMAO...

I could give example of this... but that should be left for the appropriate thread... *snickers*
    08-08-09 11:31 AM
    Whether reps can do it or not is irrelevant. 6 months later? They should be able to fill out a form and get it refunded
    08-08-09 02:38 PM
    At a rep level this hard to see. ESN number can be recycled after time and can end up in another device, so this would prove nothing. If a rep - enters this number into the system and it does pull an account, they maybe putting their job on the line for accessing an account without reason to.

If VZW is investigating, I would let it run its course and see what happens.

Good luck
    Hmmm, not sure on this one. I think as long as the account is remarked, and you're not giving out information on other accounts an ESN appears on, you *can* research an ESN for a customer. And as long as you're not giving any information about the other accounts its been on, and as long as you leave remarks, you can look to see if the ESN was received as FRU or not. This means we definitely can't go spying on accounts to see if stolen ESNs are there, but we definitely can look for duplicates or to "prove" that our side did receive it. If nothing else, it might be worth mentioning on a return refund form.

It's moot in this case, though, since it sounds like the return refund form has already been filled out. I'm also fairly certain they would not reuse an ESN unless the phone was reported destroyed to Asurion or something.

And we can't do this kinda stuff over crackberry forums anyway.
    08-08-09 03:03 PM
    I wish I could understand why these charges are showing up sixmo later. the OP isnt the first I've seen who dont see the charges till mo's later. I'm confused because I've seen the charges show up w/in weeks of the 10 day deadline.
    I would like to take the OPs word that he did send the device back w/in the 10 day period and that something is fishy. At this point I do... the only thing to do is what he did by puting an inquiry in. Keeping the return slip would have been a better idea. I keep mine for the duration of the 2yr contract on file just in case.
    As for tracking the ESN to see if it was put on someone elses acct. Probobly not something a customer care rep or tech support could or would do. Thats what the case research peeps would prolly do. I might look it up but I wouldnt be able to disclose anything to you regarding.
    I dont think this is very informative... I'm just confused on why these charges arent appearing for 4-6mos after the exchange.
    I was told that VZW is NOW enforcing the 10 day period where as in December I guess they weren't either way I sent the phone back the next day.This is the first of two phones I sent back, I sent one back in March and they received that one. I had them check that one out because I didn't want to have that conversation again 6 months later.

I just wish this would get resolved, I don't want this hanging over my head any longer.

Thanks for all of the insight so far!
    08-08-09 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD