08-15-09 03:12 PM
31 12
tools
    I'm in the small city of Sultan Washington. Only six miles away from the Monroe cell tower. However this is a river basin and I'm in the shadow of the winding hills. I'm also shadowed from the Index tower ten miles up river.
    The reception is horrible inside any building. Just moved to a bigger place on the first and now the reception is even horrible outside!
    I called VZW and they're performing a signal test from the local towers. i asked if they had a subsidy program for dead zones. I asked about a discount on the $250 network extender.
    The conversation sounded like it might be promising, after the signal testing.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this kind of assistance.
    08-14-09 02:39 PM
    Ive heard of a couple customers getting a network extender free. It is not something we proactively do, but depending on who you talk to you might get lucky. The few customers that ive called CS for were unable to get the network extender free of charge though. Good luck.
    08-14-09 02:41 PM
    I'm in the same situation where I live. Signal on a good day varies between -105 and -110 db.

VZW did the same analysis for me, and the only thing they would offer is to make notation in my account that I could opt out of my contract at any time without penalty or ETF.

I ended up buying a Network Extender anyway on my own, since AT&T & TMO coverage out here is even worse.
    Last edited by Antic; 08-14-09 at 03:12 PM.
    08-14-09 02:50 PM
    What about when you don't live?
    Sorry I get what you meant, did the network extender help much?
    08-14-09 02:53 PM
    Are you a vip customer? Its considered an accessory so you would get a discount. I think its like $50 off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 03:07 PM
    Nice place to live (if there's not a head-on blocking 2) but I can see where reception could be poor. Seattle, here.
    08-14-09 03:11 PM
    I miss that area. From Federal Way originally.

08-14-09 03:16 PM
    What about when you don't live?
    Sorry I get what you meant, did the network extender help much?
    Yes, it did actually. 5 bars all the time now, but it doesn't have a lot of range. I get about 30 feet or so before it starts to drop off, more so if there's walls, door, or other obstructions in the "line of sight" between the phone and it.

I have it next to the window in my office, and it works great for what I need it to do.

Battery life has improved significantly as well, (but that may be a combination of both the NE device, and my upgrading to .151 also).
    08-14-09 03:17 PM
    If your phone is constantly looking for signal that would drain your battery.

08-14-09 03:19 PM
    Good 'ol Sultan eh? Cool, I used to drive for Stevens Pass years ago, I lived in Skykomish, Gold Bar and Monroe so I know that area well. When I first lived there I was with Sprint and had nothing but roaming at the mountain. Soon after I switched to Verizon and had great coverage throughout most of the valley, of course there were areas with spotty service, like just after Gold Bar, soon after the rock quarry. You must really live deep down to not have service. I had a network extender, it will work but dont expect fast data speeds if at all.
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-14-09 at 04:44 PM.
    08-14-09 03:28 PM
    network extender's only enhance voice?
    08-14-09 04:23 PM
    They will give you 1X, just not EVDO. I read about a Sprint 3G network extender recently, I cant wait until Verizon offers one.
    08-14-09 04:36 PM
    Federal Way originally.
    The Federal Way is the bad way.

6 miles is pushing it with most towers.

-105 to -110 can render a device ineffective. On GSM, you'd have nothing, but on CDMA, you might be able to communicate - but still iffy.

08-14-09 04:41 PM
    That's correct.

You'd need something like the "soon to be released" zBoost One to get full data support as well.
    08-14-09 04:41 PM
    AT&T, Sprint and Boost work fine through out the city. I thought we had free roaming. Why can't I conect to the AT&T towers?
    I have a government discount of 17 percent, but that still doesn't get below $200.

08-14-09 05:16 PM
    You can't roam on AT&T network because they use GSM and you use CDMA.
    08-14-09 05:39 PM

Out in my neck of the woods its not uncommon at all to use towers over 20 miles away

One day when on a high hill my bb registered for a few seconds on a tower 160 miles away
    It was hunting desperately for any kinda signal lol.

I get this info from a tower location utility on my phone.

Last edited by sprke81; 08-14-09 at 05:56 PM.
    08-14-09 05:54 PM
    Out in my neck of the woods its not uncommon at all to use towers over 20 miles away

One day when on a high hill my bb registered for a few seconds on a tower 160 miles away
    It was hunting desperately for any kinda signal lol.

I get this info from a tower location utility on my phone.

I can ASSURE you - that you were not picking up signal 20 miles away muchless 160 miles.

Your tower location utility is lying to you lol..

The max range on a typical CDMA cell site would be 8-9 miles.. and that's in flat land no trees..
    Last edited by tsguy52; 08-14-09 at 06:05 PM.
    08-14-09 06:00 PM
    I can ASSURE you - that you were not picking up signal 20 miles away muchless 160 miles.

Your tower location utility is lying to you lol..

The max range on a CDMA cell site would be 8-9 miles.. and that's in flat land no trees..
    Well you've never been out in the west then. 20 miles is definitely doable but iffy.

The 160 miles I kinda doubt to. It "seen" the tower for a second or two and then switched to another tower, most of the time it was no signal. Like I said I was on a high hill/small mountain.
    This app has never been wrong yet on tower location so I dunno.

08-14-09 06:07 PM
    Well you've never been out in the west then. 20 miles is definitely doable but iffy.

The 160 miles I kinda doubt to. It "seen" the tower for a second or two and then switched to another tower, most of the time it was no signal. Like I said I was on a high hill/small mountain.
    This app has never been wrong yet on tower location so I dunno.

lol well I've looked at many many maps regarding signal and never seen a tower output that great of a signal..
    08-14-09 06:11 PM
    lol well I've looked at many many maps regarding signal and never seen a tower output that great of a signal..
    Twins will have to chime in here for accurate info but I think the distance limit on a cdma tower is between 30 and 40 miles. I high density areas this of course wouldn't be possible. I have heard of some mountain top sites ( I think they are analog ) going as far as 70 miles. These sites have very low capacity tho.
    08-14-09 06:16 PM
    Twins will have to chime in here for accurate info but I think the distance limit on a cdma tower is between 30 and 40 miles. I high density areas this of course wouldn't be possible. I have heard of some mountain top sites ( I think they are analog ) going as far as 70 miles. These sites have very low capacity tho.

Also keep in mind that the cell phone itself has its own limitations.

This is what he said earlier in this thread:

The Federal Way is the bad way.

-105 to -110 can render a device ineffective. On GSM, you'd have nothing, but on CDMA, you might be able to communicate - but still iffy.

08-14-09 06:20 PM
    Also keep in mind that the cell phone itself has its own limitations.

This is what he said earlier in this thread:
    He says "most towers". I would say there's probably more towers in the LA area then all of MT,WY and the Dakotas combined. While this is just a guess and not a fact that kinda puts it in perspective that most towers are probably in the 6 mile range. I'm not arguing that point at all
    08-14-09 06:26 PM
    @tsguy52

Here is the kinda of cell site and country that I am talking about. Keep in mind this isn't the norm This is Alltel:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Tour of a base station with pix (750kb)
    08-14-09 06:46 PM
    whats that about??
    08-14-09 06:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD