05-28-09 05:19 AM
705 ... 45678 ...
tools
    To make a long story short my GF and I were contemplating leaving our respective family plans, with VZW, and initiating our own plan together, and also upgrading to BBs. I called customer service, and also went to the store and got the same answer. We could do it, but had to pay an early termintaion fee of $175 each, then we weren't eligible for phone upgrades, so we'd have to pay full price for our BBs (we wanted Storms), even though Verizon is currently having a buy one get one free sale. The total they wanted for us to switch... just under $1500. We've been customers of Verizon for about 9 years each, and we were told that was only to attract new customers. In the store, after hearing this from both the salesman and customer service I was just a little jaked. I threatened to go to Sprint. The salesman quite bluntly told me to go ahead. He didn't care. We went three doors down in the mall, and each got a Curve, and a plan that is at least $50 cheaper a month. The total up front was less than $400, and we have yet to mail in for our rebates. We do have to pay the early termination fees, but they are pro rated, and cost a total of $150 for both phones, which we will save back in the first three months with Sprint. What of dropped calls and coverage? I haven't dropped a call yet, and can drive right past the "Verizon Pull Off" that is right up from my house, and never lose a call. My personal feelings are Screw Verizon. If they wanted my money the salesman wouldn't have been so quick to tell me to go somewhere else.
    02-16-09 06:32 PM
    great stuff, very informative, but i need to know where everyone that has verizon lives because (whiting, in) a burb of chicago btw has horrible reception but i am going to try to stick it out with the new storm after being with sprint/nextel for 10 years. and at&t is absurd with there pricing but as one said, you get what u pay for.
    02-16-09 06:46 PM
    great stuff, very informative, but i need to know where everyone that has verizon lives because (whiting, in) a burb of chicago btw has horrible reception but i am going to try to stick it out with the new storm after being with sprint/nextel for 10 years. and at&t is absurd with there pricing but as one said, you get what u pay for.
    Go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless and do a search network extender. This might be up your alley for reception. If you have any questions PM me or search this forum area for femtocell
    02-16-09 07:01 PM
    To make a long story short my GF and I were contemplating leaving our respective family plans, with VZW, and initiating our own plan together, and also upgrading to BBs. I called customer service, and also went to the store and got the same answer. We could do it, but had to pay an early termintaion fee of $175 each, then we weren't eligible for phone upgrades, so we'd have to pay full price for our BBs (we wanted Storms), even though Verizon is currently having a buy one get one free sale. The total they wanted for us to switch... just under $1500. We've been customers of Verizon for about 9 years each, and we were told that was only to attract new customers. In the store, after hearing this from both the salesman and customer service I was just a little jaked. I threatened to go to Sprint. The salesman quite bluntly told me to go ahead. He didn't care. We went three doors down in the mall, and each got a Curve, and a plan that is at least $50 cheaper a month. The total up front was less than $400, and we have yet to mail in for our rebates. We do have to pay the early termination fees, but they are pro rated, and cost a total of $150 for both phones, which we will save back in the first three months with Sprint. What of dropped calls and coverage? I haven't dropped a call yet, and can drive right past the "Verizon Pull Off" that is right up from my house, and never lose a call. My personal feelings are Screw Verizon. If they wanted my money the salesman wouldn't have been so quick to tell me to go somewhere else.
    Ok, so you weren't eligible to upgrade.....Instead of them just saying "No" they gave you other options.

The BB BOGO is for new customers AND for existing customers that ARE eligible to upgrade.

Also, the most it would have cost you is $1000 to buy 2 full retail...Idk where you got $1500 from but incorrect sir.
    02-16-09 07:55 PM
    I love Verizon. I don't ever plan to switch. I like having the BEST, no matter the cost.
    02-16-09 08:27 PM
    I love Verizon. I don't ever plan to switch. I like having the BEST, no matter the cost.
    Me too. There are some folks who loved their Yugo & their Packard Bell computers. As for me, I want something that works well all the time.

As for the "VZW wouldn't break their policies for me" crowd, it is simply the new entitlement mode. There are too many who think if they whine enough or complain more or create enough of a stink, they will get something they don't deserve or didn't earn.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 08:51 PM
    people that want a porche for the price of a fiat crack me up.
    02-16-09 11:43 PM
    And people who want that Porsche for free are even worse!

02-17-09 08:13 AM
    to compare verizon with a porche and the rest of the competition with a fiat is a joke! I agree verizon is better... but lets keep it in the realm of comparing a toyota verse lets say.... GM (if u wanna make a sensible comparison without ODing on the coolaid!)
    02-17-09 04:54 PM
    1. No problems with service at all.
    2. Not the best/newest/cool factor devices but they work.
    3. Best customer service IMO. If you still have issues ask to speak with higher up, In the end they will take care of you. Unlike other companies that turn their shoulder.
    4. People that rant about problems are either user error w/ the device, or account setup problems(user changes something) blame any company they are with. With more then 80 million customers and growing. The small percentage of problem people are the ones causing the problem or don't want to accept Verizon's answer.
    5. Customer is always right and Verizon rightly accepts that. They TAKE care of you.
    6. With the best cell service cost comes with it. You can compare cars, stoves, computer, etc. But the best comes with a cost. You signed the dotted line. You can always cancel. But you will be back.
    02-17-09 06:56 PM
    me and my wife just switched last week and both got a storm. Our bill will be about 10-15 bucks a month more compared to our alltel bill and we didn't have any smartphones on our alltel account.

Here is the breakdown of what we had with alltel and what we have now with verizon:

Alltel:
    900 mins/month
    1st line- 700 text messages and "internet" (the non-smart phone version)
    2nd line- 250 text messages
    3rd line- tethering for internet
    total monthly $140-$150 after taxes and after my 15% discount (on just the original plan)

Verizon:
    700 mins/month
    1st line- unlimited text, BIS, tethering
    2nd line- unlimited text, BIS
    total monthly $152 before taxes (haven't got our 1st bill yet so don't know actual amount) and after my discount of 20% of the plan, 20% of both BIS, and 20% of tethering

So we're pretty happy to not be paying that much more and essentially getting more bang for our buck.
    Also chk into the friends and family addition that started sunday. with your plan, you should get 10 folks that you all share that are not vzw to be considered in-network. Check online by registering with myverizon or call customer service.
    02-17-09 07:09 PM
    Verizon - does not have a All-Inclusive Unlimited Everything you have to stack and once you have Unlimited Mins - BIS - Text - Gps - VCAST TV You're looking at paying 180$ a month vs 99$ with Sprint....

I'm sorry in this economy I'm not dying to pay MORE!
    LOL...LOL...LOL... OMG.... are you serious???

Those items are luxuries, options... If you want them, then fine, you pay for them. If not, make sure they are blocked on the line.

To clarify something, Vcast Mobile TV does not go with BB so you don't have to worry about paying extra for that. What carrier has a BB with TV? Be serious...

BB plans with minutes included start at $79.99 - $99.99 with unlim messages. Many employers offer a employee discount. Check with your employer to see if they offer one. All you have to do is take your ID or a check stub to get it added on your account.

Another savings is to do everything on your bill cycle date. Please look at your bills to see when your bill cycle date is. Any change made within the bill cycle will result in a prorate of EVERYTHING.

Also, with the implementation of Friends and Family, customers can choose landline numbers and people with other service providers to have unlimited calls with. This may also save money to those who call a home phone more often than most, or even their office.

Its been my experience while working for VZW that may of the customers don't do, or remember to do, the following:

• Pay attention when things are being explained. They are too busy playing with their phone or fussing at their kids in the store.
    • ASK QUESTIONS
    • Read the receipts BEFORE they leave the store
    • Read everything on the little electronic box BEFORE they put their signature on it because THAT IS THE CONTRACT...
    • Pay attention to their features
    • Take advantage of free trials - and inquire when it ends to cancel the service
    • Not have all their information ready when they call into the call centers.
    • Get services changed in mid bill cycle then get mad at the high bill
    • Feature and Price Plan changes are not Contract Extenders.
    • Check for employee discounts
    • Register for My Verizon
    • Prorates are NOTHING NEW... If you have any other utility, you paid a prorate for them too.

Customers can always call Customer Service to ask about things prior to going to the store. This may be a better thing to do so you can ask for what you want.

Customers can choose their plan based on the usage. I used to instruct my customers to always look at their usage. How can one expect to be on a 450 min plan when they clearly use 900 mins and then, miraculously, forget how they used them all.... HELLO!!!! Anytime minutes were used prior to 9:00pm. Another thing that I try to prevent is having a customer get or retain a plan that is too large for their usage. This usually prevents the complaining about the high bill. A customer can ALWAYS go up in price plan. Paying a $20.00 difference is a much better option than paying too much in plan or in overages.

Please, don't get me started with customers who has kids who run up their bills, and don't want to take responsibility for the charges. BLOCK, BLOCK, BLOCK!!! If the kid ain't paying bills, then they shouldn'e be able to access the web or VCast on their phones... If a parent wants their kid to have that, either set limits, or block stuff, but do not expect VZW to be responsible for a kid who downloads $250.00 worth of stuff. We don't raise kids, and we don't babysit.

I really didn't mean to start stuff, but it really boils down to personal responsibility. Read and examine everything prior to signing. All companies have a period of time that you can return everything before you are officially in the contract. And, we have one and two year contracts.

Finally, before anyone says that I am biased, I was a Tmobile, Sprint, AT&T and Nextel customer prior to going to VZW - this was before I was employed. I have yet to have had a bad experience with them, and I was a customer for three years before going to work for them.
    02-17-09 08:06 PM
    The gimmics.... thats where they lose me! All have their gimmics but as of right now, verizon has...... more! (forced data, paying for GPS, $20 extra texting on top of data plan, vzw apps that use texts to IM, paying for visual VM, extreme prices for tethering, and a few other things in their past like restricting bluetooth file sharing, restricting MP3s as ring tones, restricting transfers of purchased music from one device to another, restricting personal pictures as backgrounds, charging airtime to shop their v-cast store and then charging $15 to be able to surf the same store unlimited but then still having to purchase the stuff LMAO too funny, ringtones costing $3 for 20 seconds of a song, etc)
    I have no issues with VZW. All those things you mentioned can be irrelevant.

1. I agree, forced data can seem like bad thing on a Blackberry, but to be honest, who would want to use a Blackberry without the data? If so, why not buy a less expensive phone?

2. I pay $10/month for my texting with VZW. There may be a limit but I've never even come close to reaching it.

3. Apps that use text to IM- I don't use or need those.

4. Blue Tooth file sharing - don't need it

5. $3 for 20 seconds of a song - I edit the audio from songs I want as a ring tone and transfer them to my micro sd card myself. I have no reason to pay for any ring tone, ever.

6. I don't shop their app store.

7. I only have 450 minutes/month and 98% of my phone book in my phone are VZW customers. I use maybe 150 minutes/month that count toward my 450 and I use my phone whenever I want for whatever I want and never worry about the minutes. It's not even close.

8. I owned a Tom Tom before I owned my BB. The GPS on my BB means nothing to me.

9. I get an 18% discount from my employer.

When it's all said and done I pay $74/month for what equates to unlimted voice, texts, and data. I make phone calls at my house while I watch my roommate on Sprint argue with their customer service reps about the fact that he has dropped yet another call. He pays $99/month for unlimited everything and has the Instict touchphone. I essentially get what he gets for less and with better coverage.
    02-18-09 08:55 AM
    verizon can't rape the willing!
    02-18-09 09:01 AM
    verizon can't rape the willing!
    how dare u disagree with me Amber! grrrrr
    02-18-09 09:15 AM
    how dare u disagree with me Amber! grrrrr
    well it is the truth.
    they can rape us when we are obviously willing to let them "rape" us!
    02-18-09 09:16 AM
    I have no issues with VZW. All those things you mentioned can be irrelevant.

1. I agree, forced data can seem like bad thing on a Blackberry, but to be honest, who would want to use a Blackberry without the data? If so, why not buy a less expensive phone?

2. I pay $10/month for my texting with VZW. There may be a limit but I've never even come close to reaching it.

3. Apps that use text to IM- I don't use or need those.

4. Blue Tooth file sharing - don't need it

5. $3 for 20 seconds of a song - I edit the audio from songs I want as a ring tone and transfer them to my micro sd card myself. I have no reason to pay for any ring tone, ever.

6. I don't shop their app store.

7. I only have 450 minutes/month and 98% of my phone book in my phone are VZW customers. I use maybe 150 minutes/month that count toward my 450 and I use my phone whenever I want for whatever I want and never worry about the minutes. It's not even close.

8. I owned a Tom Tom before I owned my BB. The GPS on my BB means nothing to me.

9. I get an 18% discount from my employer.

When it's all said and done I pay $74/month for what equates to unlimted voice, texts, and data. I make phone calls at my house while I watch my roommate on Sprint argue with their customer service reps about the fact that he has dropped yet another call. He pays $99/month for unlimited everything and has the Instict touchphone. I essentially get what he gets for less and with better coverage.
    thats all 100% true.... but the practice is still bad and it creats a bad rep. Plus a lot of the alternatives were not available back then until later on (e.g. 3rd party music tones). Even tho most of those things don't affect me either (with the exception of the restricted GPS, high cost of tethering and texting), it still shows a bad pattern. And as for future dilemmas that arrise, I don't hold on to hope for a different type of business practice on their part.
    02-18-09 09:26 AM
    thats all 100% true.... but the practice is still bad and it creats a bad rep. Plus a lot of the alternatives were not available back then until later on (e.g. 3rd party music tones). Even tho most of those things don't affect me either (with the exception of the restricted GPS, high cost of tethering and texting), it still shows a bad pattern. And as for future dilemmas that arrise, I don't hold on to hope for a different type of business practice on their part.
    You make valid points. I agree. It just so happens that the negatives you mentioned don't affect me. I do agree that the tethering is expensive. If I'm paying for unlimited data, I do feel that I should be able to utilize that data any way I want, including using it as a modem for my PC. All carriers have their pros and cons. When I weigh the VZW pros and cons, it works out in my favor, by a lot. Everything you said though, is also true.
    02-18-09 01:20 PM
    Hey. Vzw could disable tethering. Then you can go to the store buy a modem, enter a 2 year contract at 60 per month or pay an extra 15 or 30 per month for the same thing. Just a thought.

02-18-09 03:34 PM
    Ricanmedic. Seriously your doing the same thing on two threads.

forums.crackberry.com/f71/vzw-copies-alltel-my-circle-157990/

If you don't like Verizon's prices its simple. Cut and Dry. Leave. No one is forcing you to stay. Its your choice. Its not about the service and what they charge. Its just the fact that YOU have to pay. I hope your employer doesn't feel the same about you.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-18-09 at 04:43 PM.
    02-18-09 04:34 PM
    I just spent 15 minutes worth of surfing & found recent posts blasting AT&T & Sprint & T-Mobile for tethering charges.

Sure there were those who claim they do it without paying, but there were also many who screamed that they suddenly got large data bills because they were in violation of their carrier's TOS.

I also saw more than a few complaining about AT&T's (gasp) 5GB limit on data.

If we want to complain about tethering charges, fine. Just stop trying to make VZW out to be the bad guy.

When I get back to my computer, I will be taking care of deleting a few duped posts of mine & may actually pull the TOS for all the carriers. We can compare to see what the real differences are.

I know there are much fewer differences than some here are willing to admit.

02-18-09 05:55 PM
    LOL...LOL...LOL... OMG.... are you serious???

Those items are luxuries, options... If you want them, then fine, you pay for them. If not, make sure they are blocked on the line.

To clarify something, Vcast Mobile TV does not go with BB so you don't have to worry about paying extra for that. What carrier has a BB with TV? Be serious...

BB plans with minutes included start at $79.99 - $99.99 with unlim messages. Many employers offer a employee discount. Check with your employer to see if they offer one. All you have to do is take your ID or a check stub to get it added on your account.

Another savings is to do everything on your bill cycle date. Please look at your bills to see when your bill cycle date is. Any change made within the bill cycle will result in a prorate of EVERYTHING.

Also, with the implementation of Friends and Family, customers can choose landline numbers and people with other service providers to have unlimited calls with. This may also save money to those who call a home phone more often than most, or even their office.

Its been my experience while working for VZW that may of the customers don't do, or remember to do, the following:

• Pay attention when things are being explained. They are too busy playing with their phone or fussing at their kids in the store.
    • ASK QUESTIONS
    • Read the receipts BEFORE they leave the store
    • Read everything on the little electronic box BEFORE they put their signature on it because THAT IS THE CONTRACT...
    • Pay attention to their features
    • Take advantage of free trials - and inquire when it ends to cancel the service
    • Not have all their information ready when they call into the call centers.
    • Get services changed in mid bill cycle then get mad at the high bill
    • Feature and Price Plan changes are not Contract Extenders.
    • Check for employee discounts
    • Register for My Verizon
    • Prorates are NOTHING NEW... If you have any other utility, you paid a prorate for them too.

Customers can always call Customer Service to ask about things prior to going to the store. This may be a better thing to do so you can ask for what you want.

Customers can choose their plan based on the usage. I used to instruct my customers to always look at their usage. How can one expect to be on a 450 min plan when they clearly use 900 mins and then, miraculously, forget how they used them all.... HELLO!!!! Anytime minutes were used prior to 9:00pm. Another thing that I try to prevent is having a customer get or retain a plan that is too large for their usage. This usually prevents the complaining about the high bill. A customer can ALWAYS go up in price plan. Paying a $20.00 difference is a much better option than paying too much in plan or in overages.

Please, don't get me started with customers who has kids who run up their bills, and don't want to take responsibility for the charges. BLOCK, BLOCK, BLOCK!!! If the kid ain't paying bills, then they shouldn'e be able to access the web or VCast on their phones... If a parent wants their kid to have that, either set limits, or block stuff, but do not expect VZW to be responsible for a kid who downloads $250.00 worth of stuff. We don't raise kids, and we don't babysit.

I really didn't mean to start stuff, but it really boils down to personal responsibility. Read and examine everything prior to signing. All companies have a period of time that you can return everything before you are officially in the contract. And, we have one and two year contracts.

Finally, before anyone says that I am biased, I was a Tmobile, Sprint, AT&T and Nextel customer prior to going to VZW - this was before I was employed. I have yet to have had a bad experience with them, and I was a customer for three years before going to work for them.
    Good advice in here. I do have a quick question. That Friends and Family is something for everyone on Verizon now?
    02-18-09 06:38 PM
    Brian,

No not at this time anyway.

TO get this option you must have a nationwide single line of 900 minutes or more to get 5 numbers or a nationwide family share plan of 1400 minutes or more. Also how VZW will expand the program no one knows yet, Well maybe the CEO
    02-18-09 07:53 PM
    Just some tidbits I came across to defang the whiners...

AT&T BlackBerry Personal + tethering (5GB Limit) $65.00
    BlackBerry Personal $35.00

$5 discount on either plan with a qualifying voice plan.

Ouch - AT&T is right there with VZW in basic & more expensive with tethering.

T-Mobile myFaves 300 $39.95

Although for $39.99, VZW gives you 450 minutes - Blackberry is $29.99 & $10 for messages.

Oh crud - what a blow to the T-Mobile crowd...

Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your device and not on any other equipment. Unless explicitly permitted by your Data Plan, other uses, including for example, tethering your device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted.

Examples of prohibited uses include but are not limited to: (a) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients, “bots” or similar routines that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others or other applications that denigrate network capacity or functionality; (b) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (c) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either T-Mobile’s services or the network-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or “denial of service” attacks; (d) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, T-Mobile’s or another entity’s network or systems; or (e) running software or other devices that maintain continuously active Internet connections when a computer’s connection would otherwise be idle, or “keep alive” functions. For example, you cannot use a Data Plan for Web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or supervisory control and data acquisition devices.
    Want to check that out? Go to T-Mobile.com then head to the bottom of the page - choose Terms & Conditions. It is down under #29 Data Plans & Conditions. You might also take note of what T-Mo will do even if you don't tether & they feel you are using too much bandwidth.

Uh oh again, this time with Sprint. A look at their Simply Everything Plan clearly tells me that "Phone as modem or tethering: not included." If I want to use my Blackberry as a modem or for tethering, I have to pay (gulp) $59.99 and I am still stuck with a 5GB limit.

Check this out at Sprint.com

Don't tell me what you think you can get away with - the TOS from each carrier allows them to come after you several years after you've switched carriers or to shut off your service mid-call. Still won't pay? Maybe that's why your credit is bad to start with.

Quit listening to the whiners & the crybabies - very little, if anything, is better at Sprint, AT&T or T-Mo. All are close in price - those who say otherwise can't seem to navigate carrier sites - and all are similar in restrictions.

If I feel like it, I may go look for some other things to toss the anti-VZW crowd under the bus. Then again, if enough people actually look instead of believing the 250 or so people who regularly post on these sites, there might be some reality inserted into these conversations.
    02-18-09 09:15 PM
    their all rediculous and expensive... its not just a verizon thing.

But if u keep making it an us verse u game, then thats on u... but thats not my game despite what ur making it out to be.......
    02-18-09 09:27 PM
705 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD