05-28-09 05:19 AM
705 ... 34567 ...
tools
    You can't rape the willing. If you are willing to pay for the service big red offers, then how the **** are they raping you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 06:48 PM
    I won't disagree with you on your first point. complaining about something that you are not apart of or attempting to just throw fuel on a fire like that is outright trolling..
    Yet that is pretty much what you did in your post.

I could rather easily turn the "thick cranium" accusation around, right back in your direction.

02-13-09 06:58 PM
    LOL! I love this thread! Just please, don't say aything to get it closed or I'll lose my humor frm it all! LOL

and ok4a56, that statement has been argued too many times! Some ppl dont have services in certain areas that verizon covers. Also, a lot of things begin to come to light only after u test drive. Also, expensive is expensive! it has nothing to do whether u are agreeing to it or not. The argument of verizon being too expensive is still a valid argument in my book regardless if u agreed to the raping!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-13-09 at 07:29 PM.
    02-13-09 07:27 PM
    the main carrier in our area is verizon, and it has the best coverage, so verizon is my choice, by default i guess, but i really dont know any other carrier that has better coverage, some months i feel as if i have paid too much for verizon, and the next month i am happy with what i have, so i have found out that it evens out, from month to month...opt out if your unhappy, try someone else and compare...then come back and post your "findings"
    02-13-09 07:55 PM
    Just gonna throw in my two cents. I love verizon. I have had an account with then for 5 years now and have zero complaints. I looked at switching when my contract was up and what I was looking for cost the same with all the carriers. Great service, great network, and great customer relations. Again that was my two cents.

02-13-09 08:38 PM
    i'm so tempted to change and I have till December to do that. I won't risk the change for AT&T as the prices are extremely close and for that, I might as well stay with the better network. But if T-Mobile or sprint can catch up to the point where I get reliable coverage and a good 3g network, I JUST may change. Theres a long time from now to december so we'll see.

But regardless of what I do, I will always feel compelled to speak when I see things as unfair, regardless of whether I stick with them in the future. There's no rule that u have to eliminate all of ur complaints JUST because u choose their network. If that was the case, then we might as well be silent about everything we choose in life since theoretically, everything is a choice
    02-13-09 09:26 PM
    I've been a Verizon customer for 8 years now and haven't really had any complaints about the bill or service, until reading this thread. I've had my Storm for about a month now. I knew about the mandatory data fee and I was fine with it, cuz that was the main reason I bought the thing. I was also excited about the VZ Navigator, until my wife looked at the bill online and told me I was paying 10 bucks a month extra for it. Apparently that was in the fine print on the add and I just didn't see it. My bust, but no biggie. I just cancelled it as it wasn't a priority to have it. It's that easy, you don't want it, don't pay for it.

However, there are some items that have come to my attention, after reading this post, that we are required to pay extra for to use, which I don't feel we should.

First off, and please correct me if I am mistaken, it seems that if you don't pay for the VZ Navigator, then you cannot use the GPS...or does it still work with the Maps App as another member stated? I can understand Verizon charging for the Nav as it's a perk of having a GPS, but to not allow use of the GPS is wrong, IMO, considering it is a built in feature of the BB. I say this because when I was buying my BB at the VzW Store I was talking with the salesman about how much extra voice-dialing was, because back in the day it cost money to use, and he said it didn't cost anything because it was a feature of the phone. So, if that's the reason, then GPS shouldn't cost anything because it's a feature of the phone. Specialty apps like Nav I consider different.

Second, I don't agree with the tethering fee (which I just learned about). We already pay for web/data access. Now we are charged twice? Think about it, back in the dial-up days we paid our land-line fee (now cell fee) and we paid our ISP fee (current data fee). I've also used my cell, in the past, as a modem for Internet access and there never was a charge for it besides my ISP and minute usage. So, it seems, to me anyway, that we are kind of being double billed for using it. Now, I wanted to use the tethering feature next week when I went on vacation to visit my family who live in BFE, but now I will CHOOSE not to.

And last, again correct me if I'm mistaken, using the AIM/YMSG/MSN apps count against our text #'s? That's silly, considering those are FREE Internet applications and should be included in the data plan. I mean, technically you are sending the IM's to an Internet Server. Again, I don't use these apps, so really no biggie to me.

I guess these aren't really complaints, since I'm not really upset. More disappointed that these wouldn't be included in a plan that we are already paying for. The GPS feature is the one I will be most disappointed not working when my VZ Nav stops working at the end of the month. But I lived without it before, and I can live without it again.

Just my 2 cents....more like a buck! sry for the long post.
    02-13-09 10:25 PM
    I've been a Verizon customer for 8 years now and haven't really had any complaints about the bill or service, until reading this thread. I've had my Storm for about a month now. I knew about the mandatory data fee and I was fine with it, cuz that was the main reason I bought the thing. I was also excited about the VZ Navigator, until my wife looked at the bill online and told me I was paying 10 bucks a month extra for it. Apparently that was in the fine print on the add and I just didn't see it. My bust, but no biggie. I just cancelled it as it wasn't a priority to have it. It's that easy, you don't want it, don't pay for it.

However, there are some items that have come to my attention, after reading this post, that we are required to pay extra for to use, which I don't feel we should.

First off, and please correct me if I am mistaken, it seems that if you don't pay for the VZ Navigator, then you cannot use the GPS...or does it still work with the Maps App as another member stated? I can understand Verizon charging for the Nav as it's a perk of having a GPS, but to not allow use of the GPS is wrong, IMO, considering it is a built in feature of the BB. I say this because when I was buying my BB at the VzW Store I was talking with the salesman about how much extra voice-dialing was, because back in the day it cost money to use, and he said it didn't cost anything because it was a feature of the phone. So, if that's the reason, then GPS shouldn't cost anything because it's a feature of the phone. Specialty apps like Nav I consider different.

Second, I don't agree with the tethering fee (which I just learned about). We already pay for web/data access. Now we are charged twice? Think about it, back in the dial-up days we paid our land-line fee (now cell fee) and we paid our ISP fee (current data fee). I've also used my cell, in the past, as a modem for Internet access and there never was a charge for it besides my ISP and minute usage. So, it seems, to me anyway, that we are kind of being double billed for using it. Now, I wanted to use the tethering feature next week when I went on vacation to visit my family who live in BFE, but now I will CHOOSE not to.

And last, again correct me if I'm mistaken, using the AIM/YMSG/MSN apps count against our text #'s? That's silly, considering those are FREE Internet applications and should be included in the data plan. I mean, technically you are sending the IM's to an Internet Server. Again, I don't use these apps, so really no biggie to me.

I guess these aren't really complaints, since I'm not really upset. More disappointed that these wouldn't be included in a plan that we are already paying for. The GPS feature is the one I will be most disappointed not working when my VZ Nav stops working at the end of the month. But I lived without it before, and I can live without it again.

Just my 2 cents....more like a buck! sry for the long post.

these r the single and only issues that currently concern me about verizon!!!
    02-13-09 10:56 PM
    The GPS should still work without VZ Nav. I had the Voyager before moving over and had VZ Nav. When I got the storm it wouldnt work, they said I had to pay i nicely declined. But my GPS still works I use nav4all, google maps, and bb maps all three work..
    02-13-09 11:03 PM
    as for the GPS, your 100% correct! RIM created a GPS chip that is fully functional as a stand alone GPS. Then Verizon's requirement for autherizing the phone on its network calls for the GPS to be totally disabled and controled by verizon solely for the purpose of making money!

In a fair world, one would see VZ Nav as a perk and then GPS still functional for whatever you want. The problem with verizon is that if u unlock the GPS, customers might want a 3rd party app verse the VZ Nav so with this tactic, they force u and save themselves from having to compete. That to me sounds like a monopoly that has absolutely no benefit to us.

In theory, they could of just said u have to pay 9.99 to have an unlocked GPS, however, I dont think they can justify that since its fre to begin with. With VZ Nav, they can use the excuse of privacy protection for customers... and that is exactly what they've done. Now for us, we all know its bull! But it gives them an unprovable rebuttal to their argument! Although that has changed in light of the storm GPS being unlocked.

As for BB maps solely being unlocked, I can come up with a god justification for them initiating this. BB Maps is par of RIMs BB OS Software! It shows malitious intent if the very software that RIM provides is blocked by the carrier from being used. So I think in a way, they were sort of forced to unlock it since it would of been an even bigger blunder for verizon and a clear contradiction of what we should be entitled to get as far as GPS is concerned.
    02-13-09 11:09 PM
    as fo the tethering free, u are 100% right as well. I remember having a startac and using the phone for tethering way back in time! The only feesI incurred was the minute usage for the time that I was online with the phone.

In life, things get cheaper, especially in the cell industry. But 10 years has passed and the opposite affect has happened! Now we have a $30 data/blackberry plan and then we pay double again for using internet when 10 years ago, there was no fee.

The funny thing is that... I don't even think ppl complain about ....... A FEE! I never had a fee 10 years ago but if you want to add a fee, thats fine, add a fee! But $30???? On top of $30 for BB service/data???? On top of your calling plan???? On top of your $10 malitious GPS fee????

I would say that an extra $15 is reasonable! Especially when you have so many services tack'd on top of each other! Its like cell service gets cheaper in time, but really becomes more expensive because now u have separate fees for everything making customers pay double and sometimes triple fo things!

Verizon has a good network and good CS but make no mistake, its only interest is the bottom dollar, not the customers. Good CS and a good network are only a way to retain those customers and as a result, the dollar! This is y I don't praise a company of any sort! I am always critical because at the end of the day, whether its verizon or sprint, or att, its still me that looks after me! Verizon will not do that for me and I willl not defend them if they are unjust with me

Can you blame many of us for being disappointed???
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-13-09 at 11:24 PM.
    02-13-09 11:16 PM
    lastly and probably the most malicious of them all is the app for texting that verizon provides! And with the recent controversy with texting pricing and then this....

Lets just say I'm very PO'd about it! It doesnt affect me or any of us really since we have blackberries and we have unlimited data. But just the idea that this even exsist and uses regular text msgs to send IMs is criminal n my book.

After already being expensive (which I agreed to pay when I signed up), those 3 issues make it very hard to want to stay. And the more ppl who leave or complain, the more things will change.... just like unlocking bb maps changed!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-13-09 at 11:34 PM.
    02-13-09 11:30 PM
    The GPS should still work without VZ Nav. I had the Voyager before moving over and had VZ Nav. When I got the storm it wouldnt work, they said I had to pay i nicely declined. But my GPS still works I use nav4all, google maps, and bb maps all three work..
    Thanks for the good news! GPS comes in handy on trips. Don't really need it in my car, since I have a Nav system in it, but the wifeys car doesn't. All in all, I'm happy with Verizon. If I wasn't, I'd change carriers. After all, that's why I left Sprint.
    02-13-09 11:32 PM
    Somewhere along the line, I think some of us might have sentiments similar to this...

is anyone else sick of being raped by verizon?
    Not sick.

I rather enjoy it.

VZW is sooooooooo good.

Ooooh baby.

02-14-09 01:25 AM
    I just want to say. You're paying for unlimited data on your phone. Do you realize how much more data you are able transfer at a faster rate w/ your laptop? It costs a lot of money for Verizon Wireless.
    02-14-09 03:07 AM
    i'm so tempted to change and I have till December to do that. I won't risk the change for AT&T as the prices are extremely close and for that, I might as well stay with the better network. But if T-Mobile or sprint can catch up to the point where I get reliable coverage and a good 3g network, I JUST may change. Theres a long time from now to december so we'll see.

But regardless of what I do, I will always feel compelled to speak when I see things as unfair, regardless of whether I stick with them in the future. There's no rule that u have to eliminate all of ur complaints JUST because u choose their network. If that was the case, then we might as well be silent about everything we choose in life since theoretically, everything is a choice
    When T-Mobile is laying out 3G Verizon will have LTE deployed.
    02-14-09 03:07 AM
    [/B]

the problem is that people just want to gripe and complain thinking others will agree with them.
    being that I do technical support for Verizon "smartphones" and I have Sprint (being a broke 21 year old sucks) I enjoy the fact I pay 99$, however, I would trade my Sprint for Verizon in a heart-beat based on Tech Support alone (Sprint doesn't really know ANYTHING, ie: calling them day 1 for the bis site while activating phone, no idea what I was talking about) ... let alone the coverage.
    You're not really tech support, are you? If you were you'd know that we get a free concession line. But being in Port 3 you already knew that, right?

Back to the subject at hand. LTE will be amazing! Dublin and Saint Louis are the test markets, and should roll out by November. We're already laying the ground work for LTE on account levels (individul IPs for each line), and can expect some LTE devices by May (hint hint).
    As for your raping goes, enjoy it.
    Last edited by chalupacabra; 02-14-09 at 11:13 AM.
    02-14-09 11:11 AM
    I just want to say. You're paying for unlimited data on your phone. Do you realize how much more data you are able transfer at a faster rate w/ your laptop? It costs a lot of money for Verizon Wireless.
    You just supported my point with that statement. It shouldn't matter how much you do or do not use, it's unlimited. Now, I haven't used a cell phone as a gateway to the internet in a long, long time, however, I do remember that the data transfer rate was dependent upon the phone itself, not the computer. The phone is your dial-up modem/cable modem/dsl modem/sat modem. Whatever the "modem" supports regulates the speed. Computer software/hardware dictates how well the computer can support the speed, i.e. web pages loading. That's why a computer can load a normal web page faster than the blackberry. That's why they make special web pages for the blackberry. The data rate is the same whether you are using your BB browser or computer browser.

The cost to Verizon isn't my concern regarding the point of this topic. The point is, we are already paying for unlimited data, which you stated yourself. Legally, I don't see how they can charge you for the same thing twice, because that's basically what they are doing.

I personally could care less because I use a cable modem at home and my laptop is wireless so I don't require the tethering.
    02-14-09 11:16 AM
    You just supported my point with that statement. It shouldn't matter how much you do or do not use, it's unlimited. Now, I haven't used a cell phone as a gateway to the internet in a long, long time, however, I do remember that the data transfer rate was dependent upon the phone itself, not the computer. The phone is your dial-up modem/cable modem/dsl modem/sat modem. Whatever the "modem" supports regulates the speed. Computer software/hardware dictates how well the computer can support the speed, i.e. web pages loading. That's why a computer can load a normal web page faster than the blackberry. That's why they make special web pages for the blackberry. The data rate is the same whether you are using your BB browser or computer browser.

The cost to Verizon isn't my concern regarding the point of this topic. The point is, we are already paying for unlimited data, which you stated yourself. Legally, I don't see how they can charge you for the same thing twice, because that's basically what they are doing.

I personally could care less because I use a cable modem at home and my laptop is wireless so I don't require the tethering.

Legally, you're paying for unlimited use on your blackberry handheld. Not for your computer. If you want to get the internet on your computer, you have 2 choices when it comes to Verizon. Pay for the tethering ($30 per month) or pay for an aircard ($60 month).

$30 + $30 is cheaper than $30 +$60.

The GPS thing has been covered and for your other point, IM's are sent as lines of text. That's why they count against your text messages. It's like that on any carrier.
    02-14-09 11:44 AM
    Bingo. Just as the previous poster & Weekendbum mentioned, you do have UNLIMITED DATA access with your phone - NOT unlimited Internet access.

Check your local broadband connection. It probably gives you unlimited access to the Internet. Now look at your TOS. Most people cannot run an Internet server from home, serve streaming video and many cannot run a local chat service. You may also be limited to only downloading legal materials & may not violate any copyright laws. Many local providers block point-to-point connections like LimeWire or BearShare.

So the precedent is set already. Unlimited means within a proscribed set of parameters.

I have to pay considerably more money than most for Internet connections in my home & office to run local servers with the amount of bandwidth I need, yet my next-door neighbor pays Qwest less than $40/month for "unlimited" fiber-optic Internet. Should I whine because he pays less for an unlimited connection than I do?

Bandwidth costs money. There is no such thing as unlimited without restrictions, caveats & fine print when it comes to bandwidth. Your data package is priced as unlimited for phone-accessed data, not computer-accessed data.

Quit whining that some entity isn't kissing your tail & they aren't giving you services you don't want to pay for. It is people with that attitude who cost the honest, self-reliant, responsible people money.

Own up, pay up, quit whining.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 02-14-09 at 02:35 PM.
    02-14-09 02:08 PM
    Yet that is pretty much what you did in your post.

I could rather easily turn the "thick cranium" accusation around, right back in your direction.

Really? Ya think so?
    Do I use a different carrier? Did I jump in and start taking sides on the issue? Did I go on and on about how much Verizon was raping me? Did I go on and on about how wrong all the people that had a problem were? Did I start personally attacking anyone? I don't believe I did any of those things.

What did I do? I made light of the situation. I made a comment about the fact that everyone having a problem were able to change. They could change their plan or carrier at any time. I then pointed out to others that Verizon is not perfect, nothing man made can be, and that they should quit worrying about other people gripping and let people have their own opinion. I also told the Verizon reps in the thread that I respected and appreciated them.

Since you originally took the portion of my post about Verizon not being perfect out and decided to label it as "laden with BS" I will assume that that is the real problem for you. I guess I can't do anything about that really. If you choose to believe in absolute perfection in an imperfect world then that is your choice. I hope that The Network never lets you down though, that might just bring a cold harsh reality crashing in on you.

I can easily accept a hard headed comment made in my direction. My wife will agree with anyone that chooses to label me as such. I would also accept it if we had a real difference of opinion in these matters. However, I will not accept it since you appear to be upset at me or anyone for having an opinion at all.

Also, since you consider a Blackberry using Verizon customer to be a troll for making a comment in a thread about Verizon Blackberry users, then I guess I won't come back. Even though I am not supposed to have one, your opinion is very important to me and I don't want to upset you any further.
    02-14-09 03:00 PM
    You might want to reread your original post. I did - three times, even. It came across not as a VZW user making light of anything. Apologies for the fact that the mobile version of this site, with it's less than decent vBulletin software doesn't give the I'd scripts the full version does, so it was not apparent you had VZW or AT&T or anything. I can't even easily view your profile using mobile access.

What your post came across as was a shot across the bow - yet another in a string of them in this thread. That is what I was responding to.

Better yet, let someone else read your original post in light of the thread conversation & then you might understand my reaction.

02-14-09 03:39 PM
    I think you're misunderstanding what competitive means. It does not mean it has to be exact. Sprint may give you $99 for unlimited everything but there are drawbacks to sprint. Verizon gives you better speed, coverage and customer service, and yes you will pay more but it can still be competitively priced because of the extra benefits of Verizon Wireless. No one said the prices are exact. I'm curious though, you seem to love sprint and hate Verizon. Why are you still with a company you dislike?
    Well Stated. I can't agree with you more regarding the meaning of competitive. After all a company has to have a "competitive" network in order to even have a chance. I am not saying Sprint has a chance due to all of the losses in customer base, income, and even markets. I know things can change but now is what we have to go on.
    02-14-09 06:31 PM
    Yeah yeah yeah - whatever Mr. smug and self-righteous. Knock off the P.C. bullcrap - we all know what he/she meant.
    I commented on those words because I find distasteful the continuing use of rude, crude, even vulgar terms to emphasize a point that could much better be communicated with manners and respect for those who read or hear them as well as those the remarks are made about, including businesses. Using expressions such as these are simply attention getters and reflect immaturity, and in the end really does not benefit the originator. That is proved by the majority of the responses we have seen in this thread.

Of course, you also proved in your post that manners and respect are not your forte. And you contributed nothing of value with your statement.
    02-16-09 05:48 PM

If you read the feature. It says $29.99 Email & Web for Blackberry or it says $44.99 BLACKBERRY UNL DATA/WEB or something to that effect. It's unlimited data for your BLACKBERRY. Not to tether and use your BB as a gateway for something else. We could double ding you and charge the full $60 if you want to tether but we give you credit for what you've already paid. I don't think you know what you're talking about when you say "legally." Verizon has very well paid attorneys and if we were breaking the law, it would be known and changed.
    02-16-09 05:59 PM
705 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD