05-28-09 06:19 AM
705 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    On the way home from work this evening my thoughts were locked on tweaking the analogy in order to clarify how the situation looked from my perspective.

What if the BB (beef bourguignon -- I swear I just caught the parallel alliteration) were not undercooked, but was ruined when you or a dinner partner knocked it to the floor. Your original order was #10 on the "Buy ten get one @ half price" card issued by the restaurant, so you use the card to get a second BB @ 1/2 price. You enjoy the wine with sides while waiting for the new meal. A second wine flight unexpectedly arrives with the second BB and you are charged the full price for glasses and uncorking of the first.

Still some gaps in the analogy, but it tightens things up a bit without undue complexification.

"Enjoy!"
    03-15-09 05:39 AM
    I switched to Sprint a month ago ang got their simply everything plan. So far no problems at all and I save $40/mo and it is unlimited.
    03-15-09 07:28 AM
    I switched to Sprint a month ago ang got their simply everything plan. So far no problems at all and I save $40/mo and it is unlimited.
    As long as it works in area great! Enjoy your new carrier
    03-15-09 09:27 AM
    I personally love Verizon because of there service. There rates are high but so is AT&T which is the only real competition for what I am looking for in a mobile phone. My advice is look for a employee discount. My company's affiliation with Verizon give me a 19% discount on the primary lines voice plan plus 20% discount on email and data plans. I also don't have to pay activation fees or wait for a mail in rebate.

As for the lower new every two they did lower the discount but they also lowered the price they charge for phones. So I count that as a wash.
    03-15-09 09:46 AM
    you people are real smart take a look at what your signing. And if you pay attention vzw is comparable to at&t and blows sprint and t mobile out of the water the data services are the same as at&t 30.00 but their coverage beats the **** out of any carrier out there and like other people have said you get what you pay not to mention vzw customer service and retention is better than at&t tmobike and sprint but i guess when you pay 40.00 dollars a month your your getting 40 dollars worth of service. so quit ******** and enjoy your good seervice and be glad your not with the other carriers!!!
    03-15-09 10:06 PM
    Welcome to CB few.
    03-15-09 10:09 PM
    Welcome to CB few.
    Ditto!!
    03-15-09 10:11 PM
    Welcome to CB few.
    Tritto!

And either that post ranks right up there in longest sentence runons or we should rename you "FewPeriodsNcommas".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 10:29 PM
    Tritto!

And either that post ranks right up there in longest sentence runons or we should rename you "FewPeriodsNcommas".

Dang DAD we love a good FET ( Future English Teacher) This is why I personally do not throw rock in my glass house, I can't well.
    03-15-09 10:31 PM
    I see two periods and an exclamation marks.
    03-15-09 11:05 PM
    Dang DAD we love a good FET ( Future English Teacher) This is why I personally do not throw rock in my glass house, I can't well.
    And to think I always just assumed it was your keyboard!

Guess we don't need to pass the hat around to buy you a new one after all.

For the record, I didn't pick on spelling or grammar - just commas & periods.

I remember in school (yeah I know, ancient history), a few of us would write to see who could create the longest runon that made sense. Then we'd read them to each other, trying to not take a breath. This was from a group that hated writing.

I know - boring stuff now, but remember that we didn't have things like BlackBerrys, Wii consoles, cellphones or computers. We only had beer & women. Listening to so many today, its a wonder we survived.

03-15-09 11:07 PM
    Now we don't have to listen to the women thanks to our wii's and bb's.

Oops. I didn't say that.
    03-15-09 11:09 PM
    And to think I always just assumed it was your keyboard!

Guess we don't need to pass the hat around to buy you a new one after all.

For the record, I didn't pick on spelling or grammar - just commas & periods.

I remember in school (yeah I know, ancient history), a few of us would write to see who could create the longest runon that made sense. Then we'd read them to each other, trying to not take a breath. This was from a group that hated writing.

I know - boring stuff now, but remember that we didn't have things like BlackBerrys, Wii consoles, cellphones or computers. We only had beer & women. Listening to so many today, its a wonder we survived.

WOW you had all that? I was a bus boy at the last supper and was elated when the abacus was invented, beat rocks
    03-15-09 11:12 PM
    WOW you had all that? I was a bus boy at the last supper and was elated when the abacus was invented, beat rocks
    No beer or women? How did the human race ever reproduce?

03-15-09 11:37 PM
    Wanted to answer to a question by Weekendbum from a while back -- why is 50% not acceptable...

Because blame is shared equitably, @ 50/50. My degree of blame is "the same as" Verizon's. The blame on both sides is that of negligence. But the actual solution is not equitable -- It is a win-lose situation at best. Though negligent, the company still earns %1100 more than they would have as a result of their role; on the other hand, my family pays more -- we pay less than we could absent any credit, for sure, but still our negligence results in an expense %1100 greater than we were expecting. In other words, positive-but-lower earnings is not "the same as" lower expenses. I'm not sure I'm doing a good job explaining -- just seems most people here would opt for being on the side of the equation that winds up pulling in %1100 greater
    revenue.

An interesting question that this raises is -- what is the true cost to Verizon for providing the data that got used? Maybe if that cost and that cost alone were split the resolution would be more equitable. I'd still feel upset, because when all is said and done Verizon wound up providing on average no extra services to me -- while the plan was discontinued the rate of data usage was not significantly different from what it had been before nor was it significantly different from what it has been since. I'd be left wondering what the real cost to Verizon would have been if they'd agreed to look the other way/write off the lapse in coverage. If both parties were negligent/irresponsible, the current solution is unacceptable.

If the solution stands as is, I've decided I will not cancel the contract, but I will tell Verizon to cancel the data plan, the texting, the insurance and the ringbacks (a savings of $52/month) for at least six months. That would recoup most of the $336 extra expense, and suddenly the situation is no longer win-lose. I would want to know -- is it still worth it to Verizon to insist I pay 50% of the data charge? Where would be the net gain to Verizon in pegging me to the losing side of the equation?

Thus the 50% solution does not hold Verizon accountable to the same extent it holds me accountable. It is less than optimal -- it will result in negligible net gain for Verizon and leave them with damaged customer relations in this account at least. There must be something closer to a win-win, or at least one where the true cost is more equitably distributed.
    03-16-09 06:01 AM
    The problem is you used over 450 MB of data on a device you knew had no data plan. I am barely over 200 for a whole month with heavy browsing and moderate youtube and slacker use. If you don't want to pay for it, why were you using it?

03-16-09 01:01 PM
    If you got what you paid for, AT&T would not currently be ranked as the worst all-around service.

Look at Verizon and T-Mobile coverage charts, they are almost identical. Verizon DOES have more service in more locations in the US, but that really benefits those in really rural areas. In city locations, no matter what carrier you have, it should be boomin'. If it's not, you are simply getting ripped off.

According to Consumer Reports, Verizon and T-Mobile offer the BEST service coverage nation-wide. So close, that neither one was claimed to actually be better. In my personal experience with both companies, Verizon has a stronger service in the VERY rural locations that I travel to about once every two or three years. Whereas, T-Mobile offers more affordable services, stronger signals overall (my experience, depends where you live), and great customer service.
    I'm not sure what consumer reports you read but the latest in January had Verizon ranked #1 again, followed by Alltel, then tmobile. In all of the cities tested verizon or alltel came out on top everytime. Tmobile ranked 3rd or worse in all of them. Saying tmobile has the same coverage is just not true. If it where youd think they would have 80 million people not half that or whatever there current # is. Tmobile is cheaper, but like everyone has said, you get what you pay for!
    03-16-09 01:27 PM
    The problem is you used over 450 MB of data on a device you knew had no data plan. I am barely over 200 for a whole month with heavy browsing and moderate youtube and slacker use. If you don't want to pay for it, why were you using it?

Seems you may not have read through many of the posts in this thread on this topic, or perhaps you simply don't believe me. The answers to your questions appear earlier in this thread.

As to your assertion -- You cannot tell me what I knew or didn't know. I will tell you. I did not know the device had no data plan. It may show I'm slow as "isht" but I did not figure it out until speaking with customer service, and even then -- until the supervisor told me otherwise I assumed they must have dropped my data plan by accident.

So the problem was not that I knew the device had no data -- the problem is I assumed it did.

Perhaps I am showing bias typical of someone in my career as a mental health therapist in a medical setting. In my field of employment, one of the first lessons a rookie learns is to not assume he or she knows what the client is thinking or feeling. Correlatively, informed consent is one of the cornerstones of ethical service (along with "do no harm," confidentiality, etc.).

Contrary to what TwinsX2Dad suggested earlier in this thread -- taking the time to get informed consent actually saves time and hassle over the long run and bolsters the culture of personal accountability. Telling clients about their civil rights, or side effects from medications, or treatment options, consequences for dangerous or inappropriate behavior, for example, is taken by some of my contemporaries to be just so much jumping through hoops of red tape. But if we fail to do it we are opening ourselves up to serious consequences ourselves. Mind you the consequences I'm talking about are not simply or even typically legal or financial consequences. Often the most lasting consequence is the damage to the therapeutic relationship that may take many months of session work to overcome, if it can ever truly be.
    03-16-09 01:36 PM
    As an update -- Last night I followed TwinsX2Dad's advice and used the "Contact Us" tab on the VZW web site to send a message regarding this situation and request a call back.

It generated no "auto reply," which was sort of disconcerting.
    03-16-09 01:50 PM
    It doesn't generate an auto-reply. I work next to that department, they're bogged down right now. Expect a response in 48-72 hours.
    03-16-09 03:47 PM
    I don't care how much you try to justify it, you should pay for your use. You chose to use a device that was being returned defective. You didn't choose to call VZW and check on what was active before doing so. Why WOULDN'T you assume data be deactivated on a device you were returning and as such shouldn't have been using? I don't know about anyone else, but common sense dictates that a when they have gone so far as to reactivate an old ESN they DEACTIVATE THE SERVICES on the damaged ESN.

You used the device knowing it was deactivated due to damage. Pay up. Sorry, I am sick of people blaming the carrier for their own stupidity.
    03-16-09 08:07 PM
    A liberal that believes in personal responsibility? Amazing.
    03-16-09 08:34 PM

So the problem was not that I knew the device had no data -- the problem is I assumed it did.
    Yep, that would be the problem. Don't you know the adage When you assume, you make an @ss out of you and me? Assumptions, are usually what lead to problems like overages. But then again, nobody at Verizon can really tell you what data overages cost.
    03-16-09 09:38 PM
    I don't care how much you try to justify it, you should pay for your use. You chose to use a device that was being returned defective. You didn't choose to call VZW and check on what was active before doing so. Why WOULDN'T you assume data be deactivated on a device you were returning and as such shouldn't have been using? I don't know about anyone else, but common sense dictates that a when they have gone so far as to reactivate an old ESN they DEACTIVATE THE SERVICES on the damaged ESN.

You used the device knowing it was deactivated due to damage. Pay up. Sorry, I am sick of people blaming the carrier for their own stupidity.
    Again -- you seem to have either not read my and others' posts on the matter of why I proceeded as I have openly said I did, or simply disbelieve what I wrote about this matter. I'll spare you the effort of searching this thread for the these points (though I think they may be as far as one page back, and it's somewhat ironic that you are critical of me for not having done my homework ) --

I have suggested that if there was duty to inform on Verizon's part (in other words -- if it was not alright to simply assume customers will be able to invoke their supposedly innate common sense in order to completely fathom all the changes in what is a very complex service), then there is a more optimal solution waiting to be formulated here.

You seem to think none of this applies and I should pay the full $660+. Maybe you think I should "pay up" at the 50% rate. I don't really know which you are saying. Maybe neither. I think I've proposed other solutions in good faith, e.g. -- splitting the true cost to Verizon for the data. Maybe that's never going to happen, but it strikes me as more creative and just than -- "You're an irresponsible *****. Pay up."
    03-16-09 10:54 PM
    It doesn't generate an auto-reply. I work next to that department, they're bogged down right now. Expect a response in 48-72 hours.
    Cool -- thanks for the heads up, bum. (hmmm... "heads up bum." funnystuff, that)
    03-16-09 10:57 PM
705 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD