05-28-09 05:19 AM
705 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    and some say that because you pay more you think you get a better service.

big business's that are arrogant go under or ask for goverment handouts

smaller individual profit per person times many more people equals greater profit.. I thought that bit was easy.

Were we are in south dakota verizon and alltell are the only two providers,, they can't merge being two so you can bet your *** they will either not sell the remaining alltels or drag it out so long that people will just sign with them.

When verizon are operating a monopoly in all but name you can see why people get pee'd off
    03-03-09 03:04 PM
    Verizon Wireless is not close to going under or asking for bailout. We ran a smart business. In fact, while Sprint/AT&T etc are laying off people in mass, freezing pay increases, and freezing benefits. Verizon Wireless is hiring, giving bonuses and giving new benefits.
    03-03-09 03:58 PM
    Verizon Wireless is not close to going under or asking for bailout. We ran a smart business. In fact, while Sprint/AT&T etc are laying off people in mass, freezing pay increases, and freezing benefits. Verizon Wireless is hiring, giving bonuses and giving new benefits.
    That's correct, for the first time, we received a short term bonus around a month ago.
    03-03-09 04:01 PM
    Are you an RSR? I heard you guys got your first bonus. Congrats!
    03-03-09 04:02 PM
    can't say much about Verizon because my company gets me a discount (not an enterprise account). but I do agree, usage charges are pretty out of control!
    03-03-09 05:04 PM
    curiousity... when you say...... "we ran a smart business" I wonder. First I take it that "you work for them"... correct?

In what capacity, I don't know. So... being as it may.... can it be safe to say that.... your opinion on verizon is tainted by self interest???
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-03-09 at 05:59 PM.
    03-03-09 05:39 PM
    I hate verizon the suck my work phone is throw them and we all ways have problems with the bill and droped calls all over the f*cking map
    03-03-09 05:53 PM
    curiousity... when you say...... "we ran a smart business" I wonder. First I take it that "you work for them"... correct?

In what capacity, I don't know. So... being as it may.... can it be safe to say that.... your opinion on verizon is tainted by self interest???
    Not necessarily. I had Verizon long before I worked for them. I defend free market economics. No matter what company.
    03-03-09 06:14 PM
    You know the guys who don't understand business or economics are going to say this is because VZW forced them to pay extra each month; that no one else is available in their area and that they desperately need cellphone service - no, they need BlackBerry service - and VZW is raping them.

For those folks, take a junior-high level economics night class. For those who already have taken one, this time pay attention.

VZW & Brand X the only ones in your area? Go to Brand X. Cellular service licensing requires two operators in any given area. For those who think VZW will try to hold onto Alltel assets that are supposed to be divested, those properties are already in process and will be in someone else's hands shortly. Want to switch to AT&T and they aren't in your area? Either pay AT&T to service your area (billions of $$$ don't come cheap, folks) or move. AT&T isn't stupid - if they can't make a business case (read, make money or profit), or cannot procure licensing for the area, they aren't going to service your area. Be thankful that the carriers you have are willing to give you coverage.

Traditionally, in a free society, risk is rewarded & failure is penalized. If you really want to tell a non-monopoly company how much they can charge, be ready to see services and quality decrease. Don't believe me? Compare your DMV with Nordstrom or Starbucks. Your DMV gets told how much to charge and you're required to pay it - you're captive. Then remember this - you have a much shakier foundation to stand on when trying to claim a luxury, like cell phone service, can be a monopoly.

No one ever thought mobile telephony was a "necessity" when mobile radio-telephones were the only game, with monthly service fees of $129 (in 1968 dollars even), a $4.99 required operator connection charge and a dollar a minute cost to you. 15 years ago, $40/month for 100 minutes of local calling was normal, but it was getting within reason. Now, if I time my calls correctly, I cal call 4000 minutes or more nationwide for under $40/month. Reduced costs caused people to start thinking this convenience was within their reach and the keeping up with the Jones' took over, replacing reason & fiscal responsibility.

Don't think cell service is a convenience? Turn it off for a month. Will you be alive in a month without it? Will you get to your job? Wait - your job requires it? Then work shpuld be paying for it - if they don't, you may be the fool for not negotiating a fair compensation package.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks cell service is a necessity and wastes time on a message board complaining about the cost of this luxury/convenience, really needs to grow up, take stock in what is really important and come down off of their "I won't accept responsibility for the things I do or agree to" pedestal.

Come on people - the world still turned, police officers still patrolled, coaches still coached, buildings built & business deals were still made before cell phones & BlackBerrys. The sad truth is the vast majority of these things are used primarily for idle chitchat, as electronic leashes, as excuses to not use a payphone or as a status symbol.

Gee, if you don't have a cellphone, you're not anyone, right? That is sad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 06:17 PM
    I hate verizon the suck my work phone is throw them and we all ways have problems with the bill and droped calls all over the f*cking map
    It is obvious your spelling/grammar is really poor, but is your vocabulary & intelligence so lacking that you must use language like that?

Allow me to add to that oversized abyss within your cranial cavity. Quit fidgeting with the pretty buttons on the phone while someone is talking to you and switch to a different service provider. I am sure there has to be a government entity which can provide you the developmental disabilities support you clearly need.

03-03-09 06:28 PM
    just because people may not "need" BB services from verizon, doesn't mean that that anything goes and these customers cannot speak for fairness in pricing!

but my problem was never "pricing." My problem ws always ... TACTICS
    03-03-09 06:41 PM
    just because people may not "need" BB services from verizon, doesn't mean that that anything goes and these customers cannot speak for fairness in pricing!

I've asked you this question before but for some reason I never get a respone. What would be a "fair" price for you to pay for unlimited use of your bb for email/web?
    03-03-09 06:44 PM
    Sorry - because WB went and quoted you, I had to do the same...

Very true - but you vote with your purchasing decisions and you should honor the agreements you sign up for.

If there is no better price in your area, then maybe you need to reassess your priorities, as the price you're paying may not be worth the stress in your life.

My point is this - too many people have convinced themselves they need cell service, yet cannot afford that service. I view and approve well over 30,000 minutes per month in mobile phone charges and it is mostly a business writeoff. Still, we could forego the cell service & go back to radio and payphones. It would be a cost savings, but we choose instead to pay for the convenience of mobile telephone service. I say this knowing that probably 75% of our mobile service minutes are unnecessary from a business perspective.

And it helps we get vendor preference from the carriers.

I have relatives in public office, in business, in public service and who work for major corporations - and not a single one needs cell service.

My sister-in-law even recently returned to work for AT&T. She still carries a VZW phone out of convenience. In her words, the AT&T "employee discount doesn't make up for the headaches."

You can whine & moan all you want - in the end, you leave the company or you stay. Ultimately, it is your decision and you and only you should have to live with your decision.

No guns or threats are employed in the sale of cell phone contracts in this country and paying the ETF to go to another carrier is far cheaper than what your self-inflicted stress will cost you in the long-run.
    03-03-09 07:25 PM
    I've asked you this question before but for some reason I never get a respone. What would be a "fair" price for you to pay for unlimited use of your bb for email/web?
    I want it all for FREE...

Seriously though, I have read this entire thread and I still don't understand when VZW FORCED any of the complainers to sign with them...

This is America...If you don't like the product or the deal...DON'T SIGN THE PAPERWORK...
    03-03-09 09:43 PM
    i've never complained about base calling plan pricing. Forced navigator for GPS is my only major complaint at the moment with verizon. Verizon has had other gimmics but they have since resolved many of themselves throughout the years which is good, yet frustrating that they were even in place in the first place. I've gone through the list before...

As for calling plans, I can say that every company, even at&t have special bonus features in place while verizon has had none. E.g. t-mobile fav 5, att roll over, sprint eveything plan and off peek starting at 7. Verizon now has included the fav 5 feature, however, it has a catch that defeats the purpose for a lot of people where as the other bonus features do not. They are just bonus features u get without strings. But regardless, I accept it for the "so called" better network and CS so I give them a pass. Plus its a free feature that was not available before, therefore I have no right to complain. So look at it more as an ... "observation" by an informed customer

Between verizon and at&t, the high cost of texting is a problem for me as well as tethering price.

Reasonable would be... unlocked GPS. Free navigator attached to BB service (in light of it being free with premium data plans anyway). So its only fair to give us BB data users the same benefit.

Tethering prices def need to be cut in half, especially if u already have a data plan in place on your device. Its not cost effective for the masses to pay so much just for the convenience of using a laptop outside of the home. Especially in an age of advanced data devices and wifi hotspots... It doesnt bother me as much since I dont really need it, however, if Verizon one day wants to capitolize on this cool feature thats been around for over a decade, they really need to make it practical where as it stands right now, it is not.

Those are my only complaints... GPS and VZ Nav monopoly being the tip of the spear of course. And I think these are all reasonable issues, agree or disagree, nothing is outragious here. No one is requesting free passes here and I will pay more for a better network. However its not black and white, and there is a place for balance despite it being premium data services (BB), or premium network, if u want to look at it as a premium network
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-03-09 at 10:00 PM.
    03-03-09 09:47 PM
    These discussions always make me chuckle. I have been with VZW for many, many, many years and they are the best as far as I am concerned. Their prices are about the same as the other major carriers, I love their customer service and, well, I own a Storm, so where else am I going to go?

This, plus the fact that they really do have the best coverage overall. I use far more voice than text, and when I've compared my plan with others, it's six of one, half dozen of another!
    03-03-09 09:47 PM
    Rican

You do not see the big picture. If you do like the price of tethering, but want to use the VZW netowork for net access cause of the superior 3g network and areas it can be used versus the competition. Then you need another line of service, 60 per month and another 1-2 year contract and another piece of equipment to carry. Also this has the 5 GB cap. Now to get this or 15 or 30 extra as it must match the cost of a modem or aircard. Now for the same service this sound like quite a savings to me. DO the math.

BB with data plan 30 for data and tethering = 60 Oh yes tethering feature can removed and added as needed.

BB with data 30 data plan and an aircard = 90 oh yes modem and aircard is contract you pay wether you use it or not
    03-03-09 09:55 PM
    its extremely expensive where people will not want to give up their land connections to have it. And with data on ur device, a home internet connection, and wifi hotspots, its hard for the masses to justify $30 a month more. If it was something where pricing was competitive enough for people to maybe... eliminate that home isp in place of tethering, that would make it practical in my view.
    03-03-09 10:16 PM
    but again, not a big issue for me since I dont need it
    03-03-09 10:18 PM
    i've never complained about base calling plan pricing. Forced navigator for GPS is my only major complaint at the moment with verizon. Verizon has had other gimmics but they have since resolved many of themselves throughout the years which is good, yet frustrating that they were even in place in the first place. I've gone through the list before...

As for calling plans, I can say that every company, even at&t have special bonus features in place while verizon has had none. E.g. t-mobile fav 5, att roll over, sprint eveything plan and off peek starting at 7. Verizon now has included the fav 5 feature, however, it has a catch that defeats the purpose for a lot of people where as the other bonus features do not. They are just bonus features u get without strings. But regardless, I accept it for the "so called" better network and CS so I give them a pass. Plus its a free feature that was not available before, therefore I have no right to complain. So look at it more as an ... "observation" by an informed customer

Between verizon and at&t, the high cost of texting is a problem for me as well as tethering price.

Reasonable would be... unlocked GPS. Free navigator attached to BB service (in light of it being free with premium data plans anyway). So its only fair to give us BB data users the same benefit.

Tethering prices def need to be cut in half, especially if u already have a data plan in place on your device. Its not cost effective for the masses to pay so much just for the convenience of using a laptop outside of the home. Especially in an age of advanced data devices and wifi hotspots... It doesnt bother me as much since I dont really need it, however, if Verizon one day wants to capitolize on this cool feature thats been around for over a decade, they really need to make it practical where as it stands right now, it is not.

Those are my only complaints... GPS and VZ Nav monopoly being the tip of the spear of course. And I think these are all reasonable issues, agree or disagree, nothing is outragious here. No one is requesting free passes here and I will pay more for a better network. However its not black and white, and there is a place for balance despite it being premium data services (BB), or premium network, if u want to look at it as a premium network
    I don't know if you noticed but the companies you mentioned who were giving away perks for cheap (tmo, at&t, sprint) are all FAILING as companies right now. VzW is the only company in the black. Sure you will pay less money but you get less overall value. I really hope Verizon doesn't start giving more away for free, I don't want to be out of a job.

Do you have any reasoning why it needs to be "cut in half" or is this just your opinion? Do you have proof we're marking prices up by 50% in order to just gouge? Do you know the actual costs to provide bandwidth over a wireless network? Or are you just talking out your ***?
    03-04-09 12:38 AM
    Let's take it a step further.

VZW does cut their rates by 50%. To accomplish this, the following would need to happen.

1) Unprofitable service areas would be cut considerably. No more service iin many small or rural areas. In fact, if you live in or travel through a lower population area, you will be up a creek. For a smaller provider to come in, without a large base to spread the costs. Rates would need to increase. Industry fact: it costs two to three times as much to provide communications service to rural areas, primarily due to reduced density. Want to reduce costs? Screw rural America. Its the way of collectivism anyway - pack everyone into an easily controlled area.

2) Kiss the promos & subsidies goodbye. You'll get your phone at the real retail price. This could be partially good, as in the long-run, you'd open up competition. In the short run, your new BlackBerry may cost you $700 or so, plus a connection/programming fee.

3) Convert to metered service plans, where everyone pays for what they use. There would be no more overages, but there would also be drastically reduced "off-peak" times. You'd pay for your basic service, then pay for each minute of service or each mb of data transfer. This would push your 450 minutes/month from $39.99 to something like $9.99+ say 5 cents per minute with little or no off peak allowance. This way, those folks using only 100 minutes per month wouldn't be subsidizing those who burn 450 minutes plus 2000 off peak.

4) Smartphones could see a dramatic cut in data access rates, but again with usage charges.

5) Drop free telephone support. Adopt a model similar to the major computer companies. First 30 days would be no charge, with any calls after the first 30 days priced on a per-call basis with time surcharges. $4.95 per call & $10.00 per 15 min or any portion thereof. Those who don't need tech/billing support shouldn't have to pay for those who need a lot of hand-holding. Why should cell service be any different than the cut-price-at-all-costs computer industry? After all, we have dopes wanting to complain about costs in all industries. For those who can wait several days for assistance, there is always online ordering & FAQs. Need a little extra help? Email a member of our support team based out of a datacenter in Indonesia. Limit two free email messages per 30 day period with a $4.95 fee for any over that amount. All chargeable to your major credit card.

Sure - I want the Internet geniuses/hacks in business & economy dictating what they think they should pay. Want to pay less? Go with carriers who don't control most of their network and whose service doesn't cover much outside of the large towns. Wait, you think you live in a large town? It costs about twice as much to provide service to the Salt Lake City or Albuquerque MSAs as it does DFW, PHX, LA or Chicago. It costs more still to provide service between Albuquerque & Amarillo or between Pittsburgh & Philadelphia - again, density is huge. If it costs the same amount (land costs are relative) to put (and operate) a tower outside of Mobile, AL as it does in Seattle, but the tower in the metro area runs at 97% capacity, where the one in the sticks runs at <10% - guess where Sprint & T-Mobile DON'T have towers. If VZW or AT&T doesn't put it out there, no one else will.

You want a lower bill? Go with the companies who will give it to you, along with their reduced coverage. Just remember that out in the fringe areas where the T-Mobiles & the Sprints may actually have some coverage, make sure you thank VZW & AT&T for trying to optimize their large investments in the risky, low-density areas by allowing roaming on portions of their networks.

And, as mentioned previously, even AT&T is losing money in far too many areas. The only A++ carrier right now is VZW. If Qwest & Alltel had been doing that well, they'd not sought a buyout of their properties.

Stockholders wanted it to happen & they got what they wanted, since it is their money on the line.

03-04-09 05:44 PM
    Beautiful and all written from the Blackberry. A+
    03-04-09 06:04 PM
    and if u lower prices, more people will think about dopping their local ISP for a tethering connection. Hense, more customers, more profit! Same works the other way around! And this is posted from a laptop and not a blackberry! How bout that?
    03-04-09 07:32 PM
    and if u lower prices, more people will think about dopping their local ISP for a tethering connection. Hense, more customers, more profit! Same works the other way around! And this is posted from a laptop and not a blackberry! How bout that?
    Not necessarily. A Tethering card should not be used a primary internet connection. I run servers for games off my ISP (Yes, I pay more) and 5GB is probably gone in a couple hours, if not a day. The tethering or card is mainly good for what it's for and for people who need business on the go it's a god send. I've spoken with lots of customers who do not mind paying $60 a month for their aircard because they can get SO MUCH more work done with it. Real estate agents for one always comes to mind, always on the go and being able to email a client on the go, or pull up a property for a client on the fly can make them thousands of dollars.

It's not for people who want to browse myspace at home.
    03-04-09 08:03 PM
    It's not for people who want to browse myspace at home.
    Very true. Bandwidth is finite.

Also, in reference to your comment on gaming, you can blow 5GB in an hour on some games. World of Warcraft & Everquest come to mind there.

To allow this type of activity would overload the network & seriously degrade service. Mobile phone service isn't fiber, it isn't cable, it isn't T1/T3. It isn't even ISDN.

Something many don't realize. The TDMA protocol that is the basis of GSM has a hard capacity limit. Reach that limit, as happens all too frequently on GSM carriers and you get a network busy intercept - in other words, try your call again later. CDMA, since it is fully digital, starts with a capacity limit far higher than GSM/TDMA, and when that limit is reached, it begins to compress the signals to allow for more traffic - a soft limit on its capacity. If the traffic reaches overload, the call quality will degrade to nearly a point where it is unusable. Before this point is reached, calls will be automatically handed off to adjacent cells. This is one reason CDMA is more reliable than GSM. Now imagine if data access were opened up - you'd not be able to make calls much of the day until the carrier put up more towers. Put up more towers without an increase in revenue & the prices go up for everyone.

Again, bandwidth is finite. Wishing for things available only through a bigger pipeline is silly.

BTW - it appears Sprint will be going WiMAX. As such, it will be cutting its lifeline with VZW. Their stock has taken a beating over this decision, as Sprint doesn't have the capital to pull it off.

Telling me what Sprint charges or promises is irrelevant. Sprint is fading quickly into the realm of being completely irrelevant, as even T-Mobile will be eating Sprint's lunch shortly.

03-04-09 08:22 PM
705 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD