So i bought the curve!

OK.

I use(d) the vzw online backup to store my address book, but is there is a way to transfer this contact list to the curve? (w/o going to the verizon store and paying $20)?
    07-11-08 06:46 PM
    Are You Serious! They Are Going To Charge You For This!
    07-11-08 06:48 PM
    I know they claim to charge for this, but I've never had to pay for it. Ask nicely.
    07-11-08 06:49 PM
    If you are a Verizon Customer, transferring you address book is free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 07:02 PM
    I used to be a Verizon customer and I thought that the online backup feature was to be used so that you could transfer the data to a new phone without having to re-type the data. I thought it was free. I never had to pay for it but then again, I'm no longer with Verizon.
    07-11-08 07:14 PM
    Yes, they can charge for this service, most of the time they do not. Especially if you are upgrading devices. If this store insists on charging you, try another store.
    07-11-08 07:15 PM
    Agreed - I've never had to pay, but I've had to ask nicely (once), and had to "insist" once...mentioning that I understand Verizon's justification for charging more for the plans is you get more (network? customer service? etc.), but to pay extra for this got me riled...

The problem is the online(on-phone) CSR was very flexible in price, while the in-store rep/price was just OK. so i bought over the phone...i suspect it's easier to talk them into it if you bought in store.

My poor razr is loaded with phone numbers...no way to dump them, right?

thanks!
    07-11-08 07:15 PM
    no way to dump them, There is away to cut and paste the back up assistant contacts into Excel and then save in a certain format, that can be imported into outlook. Then again I am not excel expert. Sorry
    07-11-08 07:25 PM
    i will just have to ask nicely. and then insist. and then if all else fails...hmmm, i guess i hope all else doesn't fail

thanks!
    b
    07-11-08 07:31 PM
    worst case - is that you have put them manually. A pain, but I am sure a store will do it and waive the fees for you.
    07-11-08 08:04 PM
    I haven't ever had to pay to switch over my contacts, and I get a new phone about every three months. Be patient and friendly and I'm sure the store will waive the fee.

Ps- 20 dollars? It used to be 10! Ohhhh verizon..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 08:24 PM
    Never paid for it either.
    07-11-08 08:47 PM
    In my area it's $10 to transfer you phone book. The reasoning is that VZW doesn't do the tech support, it's outsourced, so it's another company charging you. Also, there are machines involved, software needed to update the equipment very often and head count.

Yes if you do ask nicely, we will bend for customers. Lot's of reps just do it themselves.

C

VZW employee
    07-11-08 09:03 PM
    i paid the $10, b/c it was a small independent shop (closest c-city type vzw store was 40 miles away) and i didn't buy my phone from them.

i was going to offer to buy accessories worth >$10 for the curve (skin or case) instead of the x-fer fee, but they didn't have any...

oh well.
    07-12-08 03:53 PM
    Indpenedent stores are not flexible as the corp stores. Glad to hear it was completed for you though
    07-12-08 04:55 PM
    sometimes you get the bear...
    07-12-08 10:41 PM
    When I got my Pearl (upgrading from the Moto RAZR) I called the VZW store that was located inside a Circuit City close to my house. The person there told me to bring the OLD phone along with the NEW phone and he used some machine that he had there and transferred ALL my contacts to my BB Pearl and NO CHARGE!!
    07-14-08 04:08 PM
    As a formal employee I will teach you a few tricks on Phone book transfers sales reps and cust service are supposed to charge for this. It is tracked by management as to how many phonebook transfers they sell a month. Now if you go into the store and are rude and nasty they will charge you (I always did) If you are nice and show interest in buying additional phones (new line of service) or accessories or data features they will probably not charge you. If you see the manager out front (look at nametags) wait to ask they will be more prone to charge it to not answer to him or her later as to why they didnt And last but not least if they do charge you call cust care and ask about local number portability. Tell them you are considering switching services they will transfer you to a dept that handles saving customers from leaving. Then when asked why explaign that you were charged for the phonebook transfer and think it is ridiculous that they would charge that and you are checking with competitors and want to take your phone number with you. They will 99 out of 100 time credit your bill right there for the fee
    07-28-08 07:06 PM
    As a formal employee I will teach you a few tricks on Phone book transfers sales reps and cust service are supposed to charge for this. It is tracked by management as to how many phonebook transfers they sell a month. Now if you go into the store and are rude and nasty they will charge you (I always did) If you are nice and show interest in buying additional phones (new line of service) or accessories or data features they will probably not charge you. If you see the manager out front (look at nametags) wait to ask they will be more prone to charge it to not answer to him or her later as to why they didnt And last but not least if they do charge you call cust care and ask about local number portability. Tell them you are considering switching services they will transfer you to a dept that handles saving customers from leaving. Then when asked why explaign that you were charged for the phonebook transfer and think it is ridiculous that they would charge that and you are checking with competitors and want to take your phone number with you. They will 99 out of 100 time credit your bill right there for the fee

i second that..
    07-28-08 07:15 PM
    sweet talk the service rep, compliment them, and they do it no questions asked. thats what i did with the service rep when i got my 8830. Sweet talked that girl to death, got a few things for free too.... **PLEAD THE 5th!!**
    07-28-08 08:19 PM
    its supposed to be a 10$ for phonebook transfers. however we (as employees) rarely charge it.
    07-28-08 09:01 PM
    good to know you're a former employee spreading false info.
    07-28-08 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD