I know that any smartphone released after Nov last year MUST have a BB data plan. OK.

What I guess I don't get is are there any smartphones (and can you list which ones??) released before that date that CAN be activated with no data plan? Or is it anything activated after the date must have data plan.

Reason I am asking is because alot of older Berries can be had cheap. I need a cheap phone for my kid and I thinkk he would think a Blackberry (even an old one) was cool (11 yr old). Can they be used for texting with no data plan?

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I still am unclear on the answers to my questions.

Thank you for your patience!!!!
    12-20-09 03:43 AM
    No. There are a few Windows phones that this can be done with, but no Blackberries. Just get him an Envy and be done with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 05:18 AM
    It's not every BlackBerry released after Nov, it's every BlackBerry activated after Nov must have a data plan. The age of the BlackBerry is irrelevant.

12-20-09 05:55 AM
    Blackberry devices have always required a data plan on Verizon. The change last November came for Smartphones/PDAs requiring a data plan.
    12-20-09 09:03 AM
    Ok I a.m getting it. So just for the record what smartphoned can be used without the data plan and can they be used for texting?

12-20-09 09:07 AM
    Moto Q, Palm Centro, VX6800(?)
    12-20-09 09:12 AM
    Just get him an Envy and be done with it.No.
    I have an Env3 as my backup and my daughter loves her's - she is a big time texter.
    12-20-09 08:43 PM
    Env touch requires some sort of a data plan

12-20-09 08:58 PM
    ...And Env3 does not. Nor does an Envy or Envy2

12-21-09 09:28 AM
    +1 for Env3 not requiring data. It just needs a texting plan, assuming you're going to permit your son to text.
    12-21-09 09:32 AM
    Env touch requires some sort of a data plan

You sure? i have an enV touch under my account start nov. 6th and it doesnt have a data plan on it.
    12-21-09 09:36 AM
    You sure? i have an enV touch under my account start nov. 6th and it doesnt have a data plan on it.
    Any new purchase of any advanced device requires a data plan of 9.99 or higher (Samsung Rogue, Envy Touch) and any smartphone that was released after Nov 15th requires a data plan. Blackberry's have always needed data, however phones like the Palm Centro, Audiovox 6900, 6800 do not require data. There are many more smartphones that do not require the plan, you just need to make sure they were released to the public after Nov 15th.
    12-21-09 12:45 PM
    I just know, when I ordered the Env Touch for my mom on the Veizon site about a month ago, I had to choose from 1 of 2 data packages that was required, no other way around it...
    12-21-09 02:27 PM
    Titled edited to give a better impression of the topic contained within.
    12-21-09 04:39 PM

The Env Touch when first released didn't require a data plan, it has since been reclassified as an Enhanced Multimedia Device requiring either a $9.99, $19.99, Connect or Premium Plan for data usage. Any of the original purchases that were active when it was reclassified do not require the data package and can stay on the current option of pay per use, data block, or Vcast Vpak feeature which is also no longer offered but same thing can be grandfathered onto the account till removed or changed.

00smurf
    12-21-09 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD