05-21-08 05:41 PM
55 123
tools
    oh i didn't know NONE of the get it now bullcrap was on the BB's, so technically nothing besides GPS should be effected by VZW?? If that is the case I might stay with VZW instead of switching to T-mobile.
    Correct. All other VZW cell phones, not sure about all of the smart phones, share a more or less common UI that includes BREW (Get It Now) for handling downloads and V-Cast. This is one of the reasons why it took so long for Verizon to get phones out the door before other CDMA carriers did, because they make the manufacturers write a custom UI for the whole phone.

The Blackberry is in it's own universe though. They use the RIM GUI and look and feel pretty much like any other Curve from any other carrier. Verizon pre-loads their own theme but you can get rid of that easily enough by switching to one of the RIM ones. The browser defaults to a vzw start page but that's easily changed too.

So ya, other than blocking the GPS to any app except VZ Nav, it's still a proper Blackberry. FWIW I think they should unlock the GPS to other apps but VZ Nav really is very useful and v4 looks a lot better. The BREW phones have it already so it shouldn't be too long before the Blackberry's get it.
    05-20-08 08:16 PM
    Hmm VZW is looking more and more legit but, i can get a Curve for free on T-mo and would be saving more then my cancellation fee on monthly bills with a year left on my VZW contract, meaning I could get the curve then the Bold for basically the same price I would pay for the Curve on VZW...... Any advice?
    05-20-08 10:28 PM
    Hmm VZW is looking more and more legit but, i can get a Curve for free on T-mo and would be saving more then my cancellation fee on monthly bills with a year left on my VZW contract, meaning I could get the curve then the Bold for basically the same price I would pay for the Curve on VZW...... Any advice?
    Yes...you get what you pay for. T-Mobile is great if you have coverage where you need it, but there's a reason their rates and phones are so inexpensive. They're getting better but still have a long way to go, and ATT and VZW are playing hardball with them about expanding their network.
    05-21-08 01:14 AM
    ATT blows IMO, att users are the only users who seem to just not get my calls, or complain about dropping calls. And sprint actually, most TMO users don't complain. Plus on most independent research T-mobile is 2nd best after VZW in almost all major cities.

I'm in LA and tmo does okay out here with a good phone.
    05-21-08 01:37 AM
    Some have had luck fixing the problem by deleting/updated the MMS service books.
    As someone new to blackberry (former Treo user) can you explain how to delete/update the MMS service books? I'm having the same issue (can send pic msgs but not receive).

Thanks,
    Susan
    05-21-08 05:41 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD