05-21-08 06:41 PM
55 123
tools
    I downloaded GoogleMaps to my BB Curve with no problems. It even showed me where I am. I haven't had a lot of the issues everyone else is having except PocketMac not working. I need to fiddle with that some more when I get home. I also got the Bluetooth to transfer my address book to my Mac which was weird why that workedm. I just learned how to make my own ringtones and that was pretty cool. I've been having fun learning how BB work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-08 08:24 PM
    Yeah, I just altered my "signature" a few minutes ago through BIS. Worked fine. Can make it say whatever you want.

GPS, however, is definitely locked down. As for receiving mms, I don't know yet. Guess I'm going to have to find out.
    05-15-08 08:46 PM
    Thanks for the new link, that was very helpful!! Where did you find that if I might ask? I spent hours trying to find a way in, not even the (so-called) tech guy at my local VZW shop could figure it out.

Ya, I did run into a USB driver problem but all I had to do was uninstall it then plug the phone back in.

Still can't get PC connectivity with Bluetooth though. They find each other but I can't access the storage space on the handset and it won't sync my contacts.
    Why does it surprise you that I know more then your local tech guy at the VZW store? :lol: That's funny.

As for your Bluetooth, after pairing via the BT stack in Windows, go into Desktop Manager under Options/Connections and enable Bluetooth and configure it. If the Bluetooth options are greyed out in DM then the BT stack you're using on your PC is not supported. Can happen if you're not using a Broadcom BT chipset/stack or the native Windows BT stack.
    05-15-08 08:52 PM
    I downloaded GoogleMaps to my BB Curve with no problems. It even showed me where I am. I haven't had a lot of the issues everyone else is having except PocketMac not working. I need to fiddle with that some more when I get home. I also got the Bluetooth to transfer my address book to my Mac which was weird why that workedm. I just learned how to make my own ringtones and that was pretty cool. I've been having fun learning how BB work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah I just got the address book to transfer from the phone to the computer this afternoon, I was surprised.Thanks for the input!
    05-15-08 09:37 PM
    Hey edavis...only been following the thread loosely for the past while, but your problem is likely due to the fact that VZW blocks the OBEX and OPP bluetooth profiles on all of their phones. I'm pretty sure that the 8330 is no exception...sorry :-(
    That is also gay about VZW, I don't get why they are so anal??
    05-15-08 09:52 PM
    I am connected to my Dell Latitude D630 laptop via Bluetooth to my Verizon Curve. I successfully connected with my 8830 as well.

At first, the bluetooth option was greyed out. I had to uninstall the bluetooth stack and reinstall a stack that was supported. It has nothing to do with Verizon. As I stated, I have successfully connected with my 8830 and my 8330.
    05-15-08 10:30 PM
    Why does it surprise you that I know more then your local tech guy at the VZW store? :lol: That's funny.

As for your Bluetooth, after pairing via the BT stack in Windows, go into Desktop Manager under Options/Connections and enable Bluetooth and configure it. If the Bluetooth options are greyed out in DM then the BT stack you're using on your PC is not supported. Can happen if you're not using a Broadcom BT chipset/stack or the native Windows BT stack.
    It doesn't surprise me at all.

I have a Broadcom chipset on my Thinkpad T60. Like I said, pairing is no problem, it just doesn't get me anywhere. The Thinkpad utility says it's connected, the Windows utility says it's connected, but BB DM says that it isn't.

Haven't had the time to deal with Verizon tech support yet...which would probably just waste my time anyway.
    05-16-08 04:38 AM
    They must have UN-stopped it, because it works fine for me:
    (Let's see if this thing lets me post URLs yet).

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en
    This is what I see when I try to create an account via a web browser. Inaccessible via a web browser.

(Doesn't bother me much as I just use the Gmail program for my BB email needs. Just showing that, unfortunately, the link you guys are providing doesn't seem to allow EVERYONE in via the Web.)

Last edited by butcherbird; 05-16-08 at 05:35 AM.
    05-16-08 05:22 AM
    Butcherbird:

I get that periodically on Firefox. I either attempt to log in later or I have to play with cookies, including removing all verizon/bis cookies and then accepting them again. I have cookies enabled for that site but something must go boom!!!!!
    05-16-08 11:03 AM
    This is what I see when I try to create an account via a web browser. Inaccessible via a web browser.

(Doesn't bother me much as I just use the Gmail program for my BB email needs. Just showing that, unfortunately, the link you guys are providing doesn't seem to allow EVERYONE in via the Web.)

I posted on the first page of this thread on what to do to fix this. I guess you didn't bother to read it.

Go and read this entire thread here... http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-u...ant-fix-11588/

Do what it says and you should be good to go.
    05-16-08 11:21 AM
    It doesn't surprise me at all.

I have a Broadcom chipset on my Thinkpad T60. Like I said, pairing is no problem, it just doesn't get me anywhere. The Thinkpad utility says it's connected, the Windows utility says it's connected, but BB DM says that it isn't.

Haven't had the time to deal with Verizon tech support yet...which would probably just waste my time anyway.
    Then the problem is with the BT stack that IBM included with the laptop. Go here and try the one from Broadcom themselves. Broadcom Corporation - Bluetooth Software Download
    05-16-08 11:22 AM
    Thanks JR, I'll try it on Monday.
    05-16-08 11:59 AM
    Yea, thanks F2 and JR. Will work on it on Sunday afternoon.
    05-16-08 03:12 PM
    Has anybody had any problems with 3rd party apps? Things such as Jivetalk, google maps, facebook, or any other typical progs?
    05-19-08 04:24 AM
    Has anybody had any problems with 3rd party apps? Things such as Jivetalk, google maps, facebook, or any other typical progs?
    I experienced lots of instability with 3rd party apps on the Treos. On the BB, though....none so far. Although, I've only installed the Google Mobile package, GridMagic (spreadsheets) and the CB desktop icon.

BB = very stable OS (w00t!)
    05-19-08 04:30 AM
    It's more so Verizons interference that I am wondering about, I know the BB OS is fine, but if Verizon somehow puts limits or things that make progs that would work on other networks non-compatiable for whatever reason(s)
    05-19-08 06:52 PM
    Just the GPS as far as I know. Verizon locks it out so you can only use VZ Navigator.
    05-19-08 07:33 PM
    I noticed that Google Synch, which is supposed to synch the BB calendar with my Google calendar, does not work. The program says it has synched up, but I don't see my entries when I look at the calendar on the Web.

I've heard other people say that Google Synch does work on their BB's. I don't always know what wireless carriers they're using, but I'm kind of wondering if the problem is specific to VZW phones. Dunno yet, really.
    05-19-08 09:49 PM
    I noticed that Google Synch, which is supposed to synch the BB calendar with my Google calendar, does not work. The program says it has synched up, but I don't see my entries when I look at the calendar on the Web.

I've heard other people say that Google Synch does work on their BB's. I don't always know what wireless carriers they're using, but I'm kind of wondering if the problem is specific to VZW phones. Dunno yet, really.
    That's probably more along the lines of new OS (4.3) and a Google compatability issue. Others with the old OSs haven't complained.

GPS is the only lockdown they do on a BB. They don't even load any other of their crap on any BB they sell. So none of that Get It Now crap.
    05-19-08 11:02 PM
    That's probably more along the lines of new OS (4.3) and a Google compatability issue. Others with the old OSs haven't complained.

GPS is the only lockdown they do on a BB. They don't even load any other of their crap on any BB they sell. So none of that Get It Now crap.

Oh really? So the internet, ringtones, and all that is not the VZW bull****????
    05-19-08 11:07 PM
    Oh really? So the internet, ringtones, and all that is not the VZW bull****????
    No, it's RIM bull****. What internet? The homepage? LOL, change the ******** setting in the browser. The ringtones... yep, all the same on the Sprint Blackberries.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement above, but I sure hope you don't think that VZW locked your browser homepage down, because if you are... I'm laughing really hard at you right now.

BTW, if you don't like the stock background or ringtones, just learn how to delete them off the phone. ****, you can even get rid of the Verizon Zen Theme if you don't like it.
    05-19-08 11:14 PM
    no no no what im saying is you know lets say on an LG enV which I have currently, the VZW Software basically controls the entire phone, to get new ringers you must go through VZW, it uses a VZW controlled web browser, all tools and games are downloaded throught VZW. That type of thing.
    05-20-08 01:05 AM
    no no no what im saying is you know lets say on an LG enV which I have currently, the VZW Software basically controls the entire phone, to get new ringers you must go through VZW, it uses a VZW controlled web browser, all tools and games are downloaded throught VZW. That type of thing.
    Yeah, no then. You can do whatever the heck you want to the BB. I use my own ringtones that I put on a memory card in the BB (just cuz it's easier then the internal phone memory and it doesn't take up room that I need for apps), use whatever theme I want, and wallpapers galore. Load whatever BB apps I want too. Only thing I can't do is use the GPS in the phone.
    05-20-08 01:22 AM
    myxertones.com works on verizon. So i dont know WHAT your saying about ringtones. Verizon charges for kilobyte usage when you use get it now. But blackberries dont have get it now, so yeah.
    05-20-08 10:22 AM
    oh i didn't know NONE of the get it now bullcrap was on the BB's, so technically nothing besides GPS should be effected by VZW?? If that is the case I might stay with VZW instead of switching to T-mobile.
    05-20-08 04:08 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD