05-21-08 05:41 PM
55 123
tools
    In other threads it isnt addressed very well, so please discuss any restrictions you have noticed by VZW or things that arent compatabile with the VZW Curve.
    This can be 3rd party apps, things like Facebook for BB, Pin, anything.

Of course we all know the GPS is disabled but aside from that!!!!
    05-09-08 03:09 AM
    There have been widespread posts of users not being able to received MMS messages; however, sending MMS messages is fine.

Some have had luck fixing the problem by deleting/updated the MMS service books.
    05-09-08 05:29 AM
    That is the issue. If you can't get mms resend your service books. There is no reason that the 8330 should not be receiving mms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-08 05:56 AM
    I was a loyal Verizon customer but the way Verizon cripples their phones, ie bluetooth, drove me to T-mobile where I picked up an 8320 and couldn't be happier. I just checked Verizon's website and saw that the 8330 does not support OBEX or OPP so the phones are STILL crippled and unable to transfer files via bluetooth. So glad I made the switch to T-Mobile.
    05-09-08 07:59 AM
    I was a loyal Verizon customer but the way Verizon cripples their phones, ie bluetooth, drove me to T-mobile where I picked up an 8320 and couldn't be happier. I just checked Verizon's website and saw that the 8330 does not support OBEX or OPP so the phones are STILL crippled and unable to transfer files via bluetooth. So glad I made the switch to T-Mobile.
    #1 reason i made this thread. If I find too much instanity with VZW I don't think the extra bar in places I don't need it is going to be worth the extra $35 a month and loss of features.
    05-09-08 03:57 PM
    One major notable advantage to CDMA Blackberries (8130, 8830, 8330) is that they are all 3G "TODAY". That makes for a nice speed increase compared to the Curves on other carriers. If you're simply comparing the Curve on Sprint vs Verizon, you probably get more bang for you buck with Sprint.... until you loose coverage or get hit for roaming, which VZW doesn't do.
    05-09-08 04:20 PM
    This is my first post on Crackberry forums from my new Blackberry 8330 on Verizon Wireless.

I had a Curve with AT&t but I switched to Verizon because of the coverage and EVDO.I also find that the sound quality is a lot better on CDMA phones.The only feature that seems to be locked down is the GPS!!! If Verizon unlocks this feature I will be a happy camper.

05-09-08 08:38 PM
    I bought a $45 16 sat bluetooth GPS receiver for my vehicle but haven't got to try it yet. VZNavigator would cost me $240 over the life of the contract vs a $45 receiver that is about the size of my phone. If enough people do this, maybe they will get the hint.

The blog "My BlackBerry Pearl 8130" had a good write up on using this on a Verizon equipped Pearl.
    05-12-08 11:20 PM
    Well one difference is that the version of BB Desktop on the Blackberry site won't work with the Verizon phone, you have to use the CD then download an update to your computer from your VZW login page once you have that working. There's already been one firmware update this week and that's the only way to get it.

Another difference is that you can't log into BIS from your computer only your phone, so you can't change the signature to lose the Verizon advert. There was a brief window in time where you could (and I did) but they quickly put a stop to that.

And of course you can't use Bluetooth to move files to your phone or sync your contacts, you gotta use USB.

What's weird about all this is that while they're spending millions of dollars to add a GSM overlay network, allowing one to activate unlocked phones from other carriers etc., they're still doing proprietary junque like this. Strange company.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-14-08 at 12:13 PM.
    05-14-08 12:10 PM
    I thought I'd be able to txt more than 160 characters and have it split the messages..but I was unhappy when I found my curve wouldn't split them for me =/

05-14-08 12:13 PM
    Well one difference is that the version of BB Desktop on the Blackberry site won't work with the Verizon phone, you have to use the CD then download an update to your computer from your VZW login page once you have that working. There's already been one firmware update this week and that's the only way to get it.

Another difference is that you can't log into BIS from your computer only your phone, so you can't change the signature to lose the Verizon advert. There was a brief window in time where you could (and I did) but they quickly put a stop to that.
    Boy, are you dead wrong on that.

I'm using DM download off of BB's website without any issues and so have others. If you have issues, then it's because of you.

Also the not being able to log into the BIS website from a PC is because you haven't setup a username and password yet. Read the following thread and do as it instructs and you should be golden. http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-u...ant-fix-11588/
    05-14-08 02:29 PM
    People are so fast to blame their own ignorance on Verizon. Wow.

05-14-08 02:56 PM
    Just an FYI - everyone says the GPS doesn't work, but in Google maps, it shows my GPS and it is pretty (frighteningly) accurate.
    05-14-08 03:10 PM
    Just an FYI - everyone says the GPS doesn't work, but in Google maps, it shows my GPS and it is pretty (frighteningly) accurate.
    Are you sure it doesn't say something like "Your location -- accurate to within nnnn meters"? If it does, then it's picking up your location from triangulation, not from GPS.

I'm with Verizon, and my GPS is still locked down.
    05-14-08 03:15 PM
    They must have UN-stopped it, because it works fine for me:
    (Let's see if this thing lets me post URLs yet).

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en
    05-14-08 03:17 PM
    Almost two weeks with my new Curve and I have had no issues. I can send and receive MMS messages, have always been able to use bluetooth (even with my previous 8830). GPS is really the only thing Verizon locks down. I am using the most up to date BB Desktop Manager.
    05-14-08 03:21 PM
    Boy, are you dead wrong on that.

I'm using DM download off of BB's website without any issues and so have others. If you have issues, then it's because of you.

Also the not being able to log into the BIS website from a PC is because you haven't setup a username and password yet. Read the following thread and do as it instructs and you should be golden...
    Thanks, I think, but I did try to install the latest version of DM from the Blackberry site per the instructional .pdf and after the install routine it told me that it couldn't recognize the phone. Tried it a few times too, just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Then I un-installed it and installed it off the CD in the box, which worked. So...I'm pretty sure it isn't a user issue (that would be me). Don't know how you got it to work but good on ya. Not sure what the difference is anyway.

I already had a login for BIS that I setup through my phone, just like the post you linked to. If I go into Email Setup through the phone it won't let me change the signature. On my PC, if I go to h t t p s://bis.na.blackberry.com/html/ I get the following error message:

"The site cannot be accessed in this manner. Please use the URL or link provided to you by your service provider."

I used that link the other day to change my sig but now it absolutely doesn't work after I was prompted to update the handset via the DM app. Sounds like those who can still login to BIS over their PC didn't run the firmware updates maybe?

Any ideas? It sure isn't working for me and I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-14-08 at 03:57 PM.
    05-14-08 03:40 PM
    I got that error too when I got my first BB. Try a different web browser. It works for me and everything is completely updated on my end.I downloaded the new DM from Verizons site and it worked fine on my curve.I accessed the BIS site earlier today.

And the bluetooth on the curve works for me. I can transfer files between my curve and the computer and my curve and other BBs. I don't have any trouble with bluetooth.
    And like DacBerry said, why pay 9.99 a month for GPS when you can just but a receiver for a one fee. Just my two cents on that.

05-14-08 04:09 PM
    I bought a $45 16 sat bluetooth GPS receiver for my vehicle but haven't got to try it yet. VZNavigator would cost me $240 over the life of the contract vs a $45 receiver that is about the size of my phone. If enough people do this, maybe they will get the hint.

The blog "My BlackBerry Pearl 8130" had a good write up on using this on a Verizon equipped Pearl.
    You have info on that sat receiver? Me interested!
    05-14-08 06:58 PM
    Thanks, I think, but I did try to install the latest version of DM from the Blackberry site per the instructional .pdf and after the install routine it told me that it couldn't recognize the phone. Tried it a few times too, just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Then I un-installed it and installed it off the CD in the box, which worked. So...I'm pretty sure it isn't a user issue (that would be me). Don't know how you got it to work but good on ya. Not sure what the difference is anyway.

I already had a login for BIS that I setup through my phone, just like the post you linked to. If I go into Email Setup through the phone it won't let me change the signature. On my PC, if I go to h t t p s://bis.na.blackberry.com/html/ I get the following error message:

"The site cannot be accessed in this manner. Please use the URL or link provided to you by your service provider."

I used that link the other day to change my sig but now it absolutely doesn't work after I was prompted to update the handset via the DM app. Sounds like those who can still login to BIS over their PC didn't run the firmware updates maybe?

Any ideas? It sure isn't working for me and I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.
    That's just it. You're not.

What you experienced with the BB connecting is a simple driver issue. Some people run into it and it's been discussed several times, just this week as a matter of fact. It's not a problem with DM, it's an issue with the way the respective PC recognizes USB devices.

As for the BIS site, use this link from a COMPUTER. https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Don't make this harder then it doesn't have to be.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-14-08 at 09:37 PM.
    05-14-08 09:34 PM
    Thanks for the new link, that was very helpful!! Where did you find that if I might ask? I spent hours trying to find a way in, not even the (so-called) tech guy at my local VZW shop could figure it out.

Ya, I did run into a USB driver problem but all I had to do was uninstall it then plug the phone back in.

Still can't get PC connectivity with Bluetooth though. They find each other but I can't access the storage space on the handset and it won't sync my contacts.
    05-15-08 01:38 AM
    Okay, just got my curve on Monday and I'm a first time blackberry owner. I love the phone, I'm obsessed with it. Issues-I don't know why I can't transfer files, etc. from my imac to the blackberry. The computer will recognize the blackberry and vice versa, but computer gives message-"Device does not have the necessary services" when trying to transfer files. Probably because its a mac, huh? Or Verizon blocked it I've heard through the grapevine. I also can't get Pocketmac to recognize the blackberry. I have read about issues people are having with this supposedly because pocketmac is working on a new version that will support the 8330 (and others i guess). Therefore, I can't add any apps that I want to the phone. I also can't sync my calendar or addresses because of pocketmac not working. I've tried adding aol IM with the blackberry and it gives an error message (plus it only gives directions for the at&t, sprint and t mobile versions). I've tried to listen to XM Radio and it says my browser isn't supported. I know everyone is going to tell me to get a PC Oh, still haven't figured out the email set up. I think it told me I would have to set it up on a computer rather than the blackberry. And... I read in here that someone's could pick up where they were on Google Maps? I can only put in directions to somewhere. Sincerely, Wanna Be Blackberry Know-it-All haha P.S. When I try to delete my recorded videos, I get a message that says "File System Error".
    Last edited by edavis0007; 05-15-08 at 02:52 PM. Reason: More issues.
    05-15-08 02:20 PM
    Hey edavis...only been following the thread loosely for the past while, but your problem is likely due to the fact that VZW blocks the OBEX and OPP bluetooth profiles on all of their phones. I'm pretty sure that the 8330 is no exception...sorry :-(
    05-15-08 02:55 PM
    I do not like that the camera makes that "click" noise when you take a pic. BOO!
    05-15-08 03:02 PM
    I downloaded GoogleMaps to my BB Curve with no problems. It even showed me where I am. I haven't had a lot of the issues everyone else is having except PocketMac not working. I need to fiddle with that some more when I get home. I also got the Bluetooth to transfer my address book to my Mac which was weird why that workedm. I just learned how to make my own ringtones and that was pretty cool. I've been having fun learning how BB work.

05-15-08 05:49 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD