Has anyone found any new GPS apps for curve besides VZNav. Mapquest had a good (free) one when i was with nextel/sprint but being on verizon you can not get it. I say previous posts about the unlock, but did not know if there is are recently.
    11-05-08 09:32 AM
    Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Google's mobile maps has been pretty solid for me. Uses your GPS and will map trace directions and show text directions as well.

Still new to all this myself, but that's what I've got.
    11-05-08 10:13 AM
    Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Google's mobile maps has been pretty solid for me. Uses your GPS and will map trace directions and show text directions as well.

Still new to all this myself, but that's what I've got.
    Google Maps doens't use the GPS in the Verizon Blackberries, please stop spreading fud.
    11-05-08 10:17 AM
    Google Maps doens't use the GPS in the Verizon Blackberries, please stop spreading fud.
    Excuse the heck out of me. I was debating whether it would be worth my time to post here or not, not knowing much, guess this shows why. Funny, because my google maps shows me exactly where I am at all times. Even asks if I want it to access my phones GPS. Guess I am wrong and thanks for proving me correct about posting here.

**Edit: So, maybe it's not the GPS, I don't know. It's asks to access to something that pin-points my location. Works for 3 other people I know that use a BB and that Google program.
    Last edited by freative; 11-05-08 at 10:24 AM.
    11-05-08 10:20 AM
    Excuse the heck out of me. I was debating whether it would be worth my time to post here or not, not knowing much, guess this shows why. Funny, because my google maps shows me exactly where I am at all times. Even asks if I want it to access my phones GPS. Guess I am wrong and thanks for proving me correct about posting here.

**Edit: So, maybe it's not the GPS, I don't know. It's asks to access to something that pin-points my location. Works for 3 other people I know that use a BB and that Google program.
    That's the My Location Beta which uses cell tower proximity to give you a rough location. Unless the location you get is less then 3 meters, it's NOT GPS.

Also, don't get so bent out of shape there... I'm trying to make sure you know what you're talking about and that no one else comes here and reads incorrect info. Why is that so wrong? I think you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Chill out.
    11-05-08 10:29 AM
    I think you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Chill out.
    I did, is it that obvious? Honestly, I usually take things like a lot better Just read too much in to it.

Now...thank you for clearing that up for me and I will know better in the future what it is I am using.

**Edit: The tower signal would explain how I end up in the river at times while driving next to it
    Last edited by freative; 11-05-08 at 10:36 AM.
    11-05-08 10:33 AM
    Works for 3 other people I know that use a BB and that Google program.
    Their BBs are probably on T-Mobile, AT&T, or Sprint. Only Verizon has decided to lock us out of the GPS ability of the curve (except for VZNAV).
    11-05-08 12:04 PM
    How do I install this if I do not have text messaging. I tried m.google.com/maps with the phone and it has a "Visit" link but nothing to install I see.
    11-05-08 01:18 PM
    **Edit: So, maybe it's not the GPS, I don't know. It's asks to access to something that pin-points my location. Works for 3 other people I know that use a BB and that Google program.[/QUOTE]

Sorry freative i meant gsp by turn by turn i do use google which works well but my job i drive all day i like to hear someone talking to me. I could get a gsp for the car, but BB's are just so much easier.
    11-05-08 01:45 PM
    Garmin Mobile for Blackberry

If you want free turn by turn navigation just use VZNav + your own GPS puck.
    11-05-08 02:08 PM
    Verizon locks the GPS. I have a tom tom for my car. I love it. I can get calls and use the phone without missing any turns. Plus the screen is larger and I can mount it in front of me on my window.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-08 02:15 PM
    Doesn't VZNav have a monthly fee? It is not free.

11-05-08 02:17 PM
    Doesn't VZNav have a monthly fee? It is not free.

It only has a monthly fee if you want it to work with Blackberry's internal GPS.

If you use it with a Bluetooth GPS puck, it's free.

Probably not how Verizon intended it, but is a loophole in the software that you can exploit to your benefit.
    11-05-08 02:19 PM
    Hello, I'm a newbie here and with blackberry. I've had mine a while but just getting around to finding out more.

I know my phone doesn't have gps but wondered if its possible to get it from app. I am with AT&T, is the above post something I could use? If so can you explain in step by step format. Thanks so much and thanks for providing a great site.
    12-28-08 02:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD