I am wanting to activate a phone on my family plan that doesn't require a data package. Does such a beast exist anymore at Verizon? I want to buy a phone via ebay or Craigslist, but am having trouble finding one that Big Red doesn't require the $10 plan on.

Any body have any suggestions for an old dumb phone that doesn't require data?
    Thank you.
    02-27-11 10:45 PM
    Tons of them...Alias, Boulder, Cosmos, Intensity, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-11 12:22 AM
    He said any dumb phones!!!He's not payin that data package,and he means it!!!Lol!! :-)

02-28-11 03:52 PM
    Have a few LG Accolades in the family. Great basic phone with no data or text package required. Insane battery life.
    03-01-11 02:21 AM
    Pretty much any non smartphone. Even the old multimedia phones don't "require" the $10 package any more if you push the issue a little bit.
    03-01-11 02:52 PM
    Maybe I read that they changed it so you don't need the $10 data package? Or am I off?
    03-02-11 04:22 AM
    Maybe I read that they changed it so you don't need the $10 data package? Or am I off?
    There are a few multimedia phones that still require a $10 data plan (i.e. Samsung Rouge and EnV3). If you purchased an EnV3 before they required data, you didn't have to, but to readd or upgrade to the EnV3, you needed that data plan. I remember that is exactly what happened to my wife. We had an EnV3 before the data, she upgraded to a BB, and than decided to go back to her EnV3 a few months later, they said she would have to add the 10 plan. So she kept the BB.
    03-02-11 10:19 AM
    They did away with the 10 dollar plan, and the requirement for a dataplan on all but smart phones.
    03-02-11 11:09 AM
    They did away with the 10 dollar plan, and the requirement for a dataplan on all but smart phones.
    I thought so.
    03-03-11 12:08 AM
    correct...

I got my kid a Cosmos Touch, had them turn off all the "Multi Media" and "Web" capabilities, so there is no $10 data charge...
    03-24-11 02:12 PM
    There are a few multimedia phones that still require a $10 data plan (i.e. Samsung Rouge and EnV3). If you purchased an EnV3 before they required data, you didn't have to, but to readd or upgrade to the EnV3, you needed that data plan. I remember that is exactly what happened to my wife. We had an EnV3 before the data, she upgraded to a BB, and than decided to go back to her EnV3 a few months later, they said she would have to add the 10 plan. So she kept the BB.
    ^^ Right. It's pretty whack, but I think it also varies a little bit depending on whom you talk to. I was able to keep my "grandfathered" EnV3 with no data plan, but my EnV Touch would have required a data plan even though they're both Multimedia phones with essentially the same capabilities (and one VZW rep had told me neither would require the plan, but then another rep at another store said only the EnV3 could get by without it).

But one of the other posters was right in saying there are still a variety of phones that don't require any data plan at all.
    03-24-11 08:04 PM
    LG octane looks nice. Saw it in the store the other day. It has a good keyboard for texting and doesn't need a data plan or anything. My boyfriend will get that one.

03-25-11 12:36 PM
    Comos Touch looks cool
    03-25-11 01:04 PM
    Yea cause I just activated my old Rogue for my mom as a replacement phone and the rep told me that the $10 plan was not required. I was like cool.
    03-25-11 02:38 PM
    Yea cause I just activated my old Rogue for my mom as a replacement phone and the rep told me that the $10 plan was not required. I was like cool.
    You can optionally get a 15 dollar plan with 150MBs of data per month if she wants to do some browsing and emailing. This does NOT include text, BUT it would include IM clients like AIM & MSN. (this is MUCH more than the 25MBs that came with the 10 plan)
    Itzdatdude likes this.
    03-25-11 03:46 PM
    You can optionally get a 15 dollar plan with 150MBs of data per month if she wants to do some browsing and emailing. This does NOT include text, BUT it would include IM clients like AIM & MSN. (this is MUCH more than the 25MBs that came with the 10 plan)
    Naw she doesn't want all that on her phone, as long as she has her unlimited calling she is good lol.

Thanks for the info though.
    03-25-11 03:58 PM
    FYI - Verizon has dropped the $15/150MB data plan (unless already activated). For 'feature' phones they now have a $10/75MB data plan available for email and browsing. However this $10 plan is NOT available for smart phones
    03-27-11 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD