Hi All,

I recently came to Verizon from Sprint, about 3 months ago. Starting a week or so ago, my signal levels have dropped and I frequently have 1xev coverage or 1X coverage, but not the 1XEV that I previously had most of the time. My daughter's have also been complaining that no one can hear them on their phones downstairs.

So I emailed Verizon and they suggested that I call in to have a Trouble Ticket filed. I did so this morning, only to have them tell me that since I can make a call and did have 1X, that there was nothing else that they could do. I looked at my work phone, and it has no EV signal, just 1X. Told her that, and again, she said the same thing. She even told me that 3G was a free feature, that I don't pay for that each month! I then explained to her that with all the advertising that they do for fast speeds and big networks, that I should expect 3G speeds for my $200 a month bill.

Long story short, 3G never an issue for me up until a week or so ago, now I rarely have it. I wanted them to file a trouble ticket to have it checked out, but no one is interested. Any tips or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks!

Michael
    08-02-09 10:49 AM
    My advice is to either a.) go into a store and let them know what you're looking to do, or b.) call tech support again and hope that you get the right person who will do it for you. If there's an area trouble ticket out already, they won't do it. Standard troubleshooting will need to be done first (do *228, try a battery pull, and re-register your host routing table).

Depending on where you are, Alltel conversions could be interfering with your service, too. I'd say the first thing you should do is ask if there's a known issue in the area that is causing what is happening to your phone. They can look that up for you.
    08-02-09 12:02 PM
    We did the standard troubleshooting over the phone and she did check to see if there were any issues in my area. I am in Kansas City, so there aren't any Alltel towers native to my area.

I replied back to the email that originally told me to call in and have a trouble ticket submitted, so I will see where that gets me.

Thanks!
    08-02-09 12:06 PM
    Why do you need 3G? Its not guaranteed in all markets, which is why a trouble ticket wasn't filed. Just like someone calling because they dont have a signal inside their house, dont guarantee coverage indoors. That does seem a little much to complain about not having an icon at the top that says 3G?
    08-02-09 01:12 PM
    Why do you need 3G? Its not guaranteed in all markets, which is why a trouble ticket wasn't filed. Just like someone calling because they dont have a signal inside their house, dont guarantee coverage indoors. That does seem a little much to complain about not having an icon at the top that says 3G?
    So let me get this straight. You don't think that I should be concerned about paying $200, part of which is for a service that I am paying for, but not receiving? I have 3G coverage at my address according to coverage maps. I had 3G coverage up until about a week ago. I have a 3G phone. I choose Verizon based on the 3G speeds and coverage where I work/play/live. My daughters phones are nearly unusable in their part of the house now, even though that was not an issue a week ago.

My only complaint here that Verizon won't issue a trouble ticket, that's it! The title of the thread and my complaint is pretty clear. I don't think it's too much to ask for Verizon to check things out, is it?
    08-02-09 01:21 PM
    So let me get this straight. You don't think that I should be concerned about paying $200, part of which is for a service that I am paying for, but not receiving? I have 3G coverage at my address according to coverage maps. I had 3G coverage up until about a week ago. I have a 3G phone. I choose Verizon based on the 3G speeds and coverage where I work/play/live. My daughters phones are nearly unusable in their part of the house now, even though that was not an issue a week ago.

My only complaint here that Verizon won't issue a trouble ticket, that's it! The title of the thread and my complaint is pretty clear. I don't think it's too much to ask for Verizon to check things out, is it?
    Call Verizon CS, ask right away for them to transfer tou to tech support, and request they open a trouble ticket. Do not take no for an answer, and make sure they give you the ticket # so you can check on its status.

The fact that you had good EVDO coverage and now it is lacking indicates a problem. Becuase it is effecting multiple handsets, its probably a network problem, not an equipment problem.

If you never had good coverage in your house from the begining, i'd say you dont really have a case. But the fact that you did, and now you are having a problems, Verizon has an obligation to look into that. And they only way they will is if you get them to open a trouble ticket.

I've had problems like this in the past. I think filling out a trouble ticket takes a lot of info, and some reps might just be lazy. I've also had reps lie to me and tell me they opened a ticket, and I find out later they never did. Thats why you have to make sure they give you a ticket #.

Like I said, call back, and just be persistant.
    08-02-09 02:55 PM
    Have you checked with your neighbors? Are they experiencing the same problem?
    08-02-09 03:09 PM
    If you never had good coverage in your house from the begining, i'd say you dont really have a case. But the fact that you did, and now you are having a problems, Verizon has an obligation to look into that. And they only way they will is if you get them to open a trouble ticket.
    Thank you - that was my whole point. It was good before, now it isn't. That means something in the network changed and all I want Verizon to do is check on it.

I will wait to see what the email results are, but otherwise, I will take your advice.
    08-02-09 03:40 PM
    Just be ready to wait I know some people here have already said it takes near to 12 days to hear from anyone from verizon...
    08-03-09 07:46 AM
    Just be ready to wait I know some people here have already said it takes near to 12 days to hear from anyone from verizon...
    Received a call this morning before I went to work from Verizon. I explained the situation to the rep, she is putting notes on my account and asked me to call Tech Support when I get back home tonight and they will indeed file a trouble ticket.
    08-03-09 08:19 AM
    Received a call this morning before I went to work from Verizon. I explained the situation to the rep, she is putting notes on my account and asked me to call Tech Support when I get back home tonight and they will indeed file a trouble ticket.
    True but it will be a while untill you hear back on the status of your trouble ticket. It takes 2 minutes to get one set up.
    08-03-09 08:34 AM
    Is/Was your area a former Alltel market? If so that would cause that issue. I have been traveling with the company over the last 2-3 weeks going to former Alltel locations and you cannot imagine the network issues. If you were in a former Alltel are they are doing a lot of work on the network and could be a known issue. If im not mistaken network conversion for alltel/VZW was completed in many areas this last Sunday. I hope your issue gets resolved, since there is obviously an issue since you did have EVDO coverage. And as for the rep telling you that you do not pay for the 3G, you need 1XEV for that blackberry of yours to perform the way you pay for it to (29.99+) I am sure it will get resolved for you soon, my phone does that every now and then but not permantely like yours! Good luck, keep us posted!
    08-03-09 09:15 AM
    My concern is that you called and said "this is a new problem" or "this never used to happen" and they didn't issue you a trouble ticket.

In all honesty, you should know that you'll probably see very little difference in performance between having 1X coverage and 1XEV coverage. On smartphones it doesn't make a huge difference. Where you'll notice the difference is in tethering speeds.

However, again, if it USED to work and now it doesn't, then they should investigate. You need to use that language "all 3 of my phones used to have full bars of 1XEV and now they all have 1 bar of 1X only".
    08-03-09 03:03 PM
    The trouble ticket should have been filed on the first phone call. When I worked in data tech support, if we ever put a call off like that, there were MAJOR coaching sessions to follow. We took all calls and had to both own and resolve the issue. If we could not resolve, then time for a trouble ticket.

Not sure why you think opening a remedy ticket takes two minutes blue and bold. They generally take a little longer and you do get 10 minutes offline to do them. If you're in tech and doing trouble tickets in 2 minutes, I think the customer's issue deserves your full attention. You claim to have worked at VZW for 5 months now. I'd love to hear what dept and what your role is. Drop me a PM.

To be fair as to why sometimes tickets do not get filed has to do with some reps and their approach. I have seen some reps who make a note to open a ticket 'later' at the end of the night when the shift is almost over. Bad practice. too easy to forget. Not trying to justify their behavior, passing along an observation.
    08-03-09 06:48 PM
    And as for the rep telling you that you do not pay for the 3G, you need 1XEV for that blackberry of yours to perform the way you pay for it to (29.99+)
    Sorry, but you are not guaranteed 3G speeds and they are not needed for BB operation. You pay for a data connection. If that is 1G, 2G or 3G, it doesn't matter because it is the same price for all three.

Trouble tic should have been put in after troubleshooting other possibilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 06:59 PM
    The trouble ticket should have been filed on the first phone call. When I worked in data tech support, if we ever put a call off like that, there were MAJOR coaching sessions to follow. We took all calls and had to both own and resolve the issue. If we could not resolve, then time for a trouble ticket.

Not sure why you think opening a remedy ticket takes two minutes blue and bold. They generally take a little longer and you do get 10 minutes offline to do them. If you're in tech and doing trouble tickets in 2 minutes, I think the customer's issue deserves your full attention. You claim to have worked at VZW for 5 months now. I'd love to hear what dept and what your role is. Drop me a PM.

To be fair as to why sometimes tickets do not get filed has to do with some reps and their approach. I have seen some reps who make a note to open a ticket 'later' at the end of the night when the shift is almost over. Bad practice. too easy to forget. Not trying to justify their behavior, passing along an observation.
    "When I worked in Tech Support"..... Well you don't know do you so how about leaving your outdated information and opinions to yourseld and letting the people who still work in tech do their job. I dont come to your job and tell you what to do, do I? And that goes for all of you ungrateful whiney customers "Oh I psay $200" a month" boo hoo for you.. If you don't like the service cancel!! But quit whining about it here, so sick of customers complaining about stupid crap so that customers with real issues and outages have to wait 15 mins on hold so I can address a real problem not "my phone doesn't say EV and I pay for 3G" no you don't... Where in your contract does it say you're paying for 3G it says you're paying for Voice and/or data services. You'd rather whine than do somwthing about it because you know you're not going to find better service from any other provider so shut the f up and deal. Stop calling in and wasting my time with whining calls like "I only used my blackberry for 6 hrs before the battery died I want a free extended batter" duh your battery only lasted 6 hrs because you had your gps enabled, your bluetooth connected and you were streaming youtube for over an hour genius... When you have a real service issue ill be happy to help until then man up..

08-03-09 10:07 PM
    Sorry, but you are not guaranteed 3G speeds and they are not needed for BB operation. You pay for a data connection. If that is 1G, 2G or 3G, it doesn't matter because it is the same price for all three.

Trouble tic should have been put in after troubleshooting other possibilities.

With respect, that is dumb comment. I pay for 3G and nothing less. Otherwise I would be paying the far better rates at Tmobile! Verizon advertising a superior network and awesome 3G.

When I signed up for Verizon, I spent my 30 days ensuring that I had a good 3G signal everywhere I frequented. It did. That changed a week or so ago, which tells me that there is some sort of network change or issue. All I asked for is for Verizon to check, thats it, check on it.
    08-03-09 10:19 PM
    "When I worked in Tech Support"..... Well you don't know do you so how about leaving your outdated information and opinions to yourseld and letting the people who still work in tech do their job. I dont come to your job and tell you what to do, do I? And that goes for all of you ungrateful whiney customers "Oh I psay $200" a month" boo hoo for you.. If you don't like the service cancel!! But quit whining about it here, so sick of customers complaining about stupid crap so that customers with real issues and outages have to wait 15 mins on hold so I can address a real problem not "my phone doesn't say EV and I pay for 3G" no you don't... Where in your contract does it say you're paying for 3G it says you're paying for Voice and/or data services. You'd rather whine than do somwthing about it because you know you're not going to find better service from any other provider so shut the f up and deal. Stop calling in and wasting my time with whining calls like "I only used my blackberry for 6 hrs before the battery died I want a free extended batter" duh your battery only lasted 6 hrs because you had your gps enabled, your bluetooth connected and you were streaming youtube for over an hour genius... When you have a real service issue ill be happy to help until then man up..

Are you an angry Elf, or what? I, too, provide technical and customer support in my job. If I took your attitude to my job, I would be out of a job quick.

Poor customer support agents like you are probably the type that I talked to Sunday morning. I am the customer, you are the business. You have a basic responsibility to me, the customer who is paying your salary, to honor your end of the deal and provide me quality service. I signed 2 year contract, evaluated the service for 30 days and decided it worked for me. If things change, don't I have a reasonable request that someone look to see if there are any tower/network issues?

You say if I don't like it, then cancel. Fine, then how about I give you my phones back and you waive my termination fees and I would be happy to go elsewhere! No? Not interested? Didn't think so.
    08-03-09 10:29 PM
    Call in and lie to them the way they do us all the time. Tell them u have no service on your phone at all. I have had bad issues with Verizon for the past couple of months. Luckily it has all been resolved now, but I sure did get lied to alot before I finally got someone that helped me. But I never took NO for an answer.
    08-03-09 10:31 PM
    Deep breaths people! Serenity now, serenity now! There now didn't that feel good!

08-03-09 10:39 PM
    Deep breaths people! Serenity now, serenity now! There now didn't that feel good!

LOL! Good point :-)
    08-03-09 10:40 PM
    With respect, that is dumb comment. I pay for 3G and nothing less. Otherwise I would be paying the far better rates at Tmobile! Verizon advertising a superior network and awesome 3G.
    You show me where you're guaranteed a 3G signal on any carrier. Until you can do that, I will pointing in your direction when someone asks for a dumb comment.

You aren't even guaranteed a signal.

08-03-09 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD