On Saturday I ported one of my Verizon lines to AT&T(I have 3). Now I know I have to pay the early termination fee on that line and considering it was only opened in June I expect to pay close to $350.

So my question is that I would like to sell the Incredible I had on that line however I will not be able to do that until the ETF is paid correct? Verizon will not allow that phone to be activated by anyone else? I plan on putting this MINT condition phone with tons of extras in the marketplace and am only looking to recoup enough money to cover the ETF.

So any advice would be appreciated because the lucky person would get an HTC Incredible that has been extremely babied and will come with 4 cases(2 Seidio) and a car charger. Sorry for the shameless plug but help a girl out!
    08-01-10 06:14 PM
    You can avoid this all together if you swap the ESN out for another unused phone before you cancel, unless you have already. If not, no one can activate it until after your next bill cycle. I'm sure you'll be able to make enough, I just sold my Incredible for 400 bucks on eBay.
    08-01-10 07:26 PM
    You can avoid this all together if you swap the ESN out for another unused phone before you cancel, unless you have already. If not, no one can activate it until after your next bill cycle. I'm sure you'll be able to make enough, I just sold my Incredible for 400 bucks on eBay.

Not true at all...

...or at least not for some companies. I just finished doing two cancellations with Bell. They told me that was the case and I said - ummmmm no not going to happen. I told them all they needed to do was put a fake ESN on the file (type in a bunch of numbers). Rep refused to do so - spoke to a supervisor and told him what the deal was and that he should expect a BBB claim in the next few days as the phones were MINE and they had no right to tie them up. Supervisor quickly put the fake ESN's in the system and explained that not all reps are aware that you can do that. Sold my phones three days later on ebay and they were both activated NO PROBLEM.
    08-01-10 08:50 PM
    I suppose it won't hurt to ask Verizon. I will at least call and inquire about it. I have never ever had issues with Verizon like some of the stories I've heard about. I think they stand out when it comes to customer service. I will post back after I speak to them. After all the only thing I want to get out of this is being able to make enough to cover the fee and someone can get a great phone that looks and works like it just came out of the box.
    08-01-10 09:30 PM
    they are not going to give a fake esn on the account. you will have to pay the ETF they can block the esn on the phone till you pay it. You signed a contract to get the phone at a decent price so technically the ETF helps to recoup the loss of giving the phones at a discount price.
    08-01-10 09:39 PM
    Not true at all...

...or at least not for some companies. I just finished doing two cancellations with Bell. They told me that was the case and I said - ummmmm no not going to happen. I told them all they needed to do was put a fake ESN on the file (type in a bunch of numbers). Rep refused to do so - spoke to a supervisor and told him what the deal was and that he should expect a BBB claim in the next few days as the phones were MINE and they had no right to tie them up. Supervisor quickly put the fake ESN's in the system and explained that not all reps are aware that you can do that. Sold my phones three days later on ebay and they were both activated NO PROBLEM.
    What's not true? Your story just indicates that you had it done.
    08-01-10 09:45 PM
    If you have another phone activate it on your Incredible before you port. But since you've ported, your account is in suspension and NO changes can be made until the end of your billing cycle. So the only way to release your Incredible's ESN is to call in and see if they will move your cancellation date to be effective immediately.

I had this same problem when I ported out. But the rep on the phone was super nice and moved my cancellation date to be effective that same day and it released my phones ESN immediately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 01:13 AM
    They actually did make my cancellation date effective immediately but the charges will not show up until the next bill cycle which for me is after 8/28/10. So how can I pay a fee that isn't showing up on my bill LOL?! So I guess I will be waiting until the beginning of September.
    08-02-10 06:12 PM
    Does anyone know if Verizon will make an ETF charge appear sooner rather than after this bill cycle which is 8/28/10. I'd rather just get it over with but I hate to bug them for every little thing.
    08-04-10 06:32 PM
    No because you already agreed that when you cancel, it will take effect on your next bill cycle.

08-04-10 07:38 PM
    Yo dude you can avoid the ETF altogether usually the carrier you are going to will pay the ETF...is not known by people but usually they do that but they don't advertise this...works all the time with cable company's...try it...usually u have to pay the ETF but then the company that you went to will reimburse you
    08-06-10 05:33 PM
    Yo dude you can avoid the ETF altogether usually the carrier you are going to will pay the ETF...is not known by people but usually they do that but they don't advertise this...works all the time with cable company's...try it...usually u have to pay the ETF but then the company that you went to will reimburse you
    Do you have any sources or proof that this works? Have you personally done it?
    08-06-10 05:39 PM
    @Michikade
    Yes i have done it b4 not with AT&T but yes i have done it with another company..and i no others that have done it to
    08-06-10 05:41 PM
    @Michikade
    Yes i have done it b4 not with AT&T but yes i have done it with another company..and i no others that have done it to
    Which companies? I just think it may be of the OP's interest to see who it's been done with. And I'm really curious
    08-06-10 05:43 PM
    ok well my family has gotten it done with a big cable company up here in NY/NJ named Optimum and Optimum payed Directv and also, my friends have gotten it done with Verizon FIOS..these are the companys that payed for the ETF...and its common b/c companys want you to switch to there service....and i don't think it's to the OP's best interest b/c it doesn't matter what companies have done it b/c he should try anyway...sufficient answer for you michikade???
    08-06-10 06:12 PM
    ok well my family has gotten it done with a big cable company up here in NY/NJ named Optimum and Optimum payed Directv and also, my friends have gotten it done with Verizon FIOS..these are the companys that payed for the ETF...and its common b/c companys want you to switch to there service....and i don't think it's to the OP's best interest b/c it doesn't matter what companies have done it b/c he should try anyway...sufficient answer for you michikade???
    A local cable company and an internet service provider are not the same as a wireless phone company. The OP can call AT&T and see if they will do it, but if you haven't actually done it with a wireless company, it is not appropriate to spread inaccurate information.

Besides, I cannot find one single, solitary case where any wireless company has paid an ETF to get a customer's business. It just doesn't work that way.
    Last edited by michikade; 08-06-10 at 06:35 PM.
    08-06-10 06:27 PM
    yo read my first post...i said try it.....and if you can't get one solitary case where any wireless company has paid an ETF, do you have a solitary case with a cable company either?? just saying
    08-06-10 07:36 PM
    is there anyway that you can ask someone to take over the line for you?
    a friend? relative? or a stranger.. pay him $50-100 to tkae responsibility for that line.
    check out the websites like cellphone swap or cell trade ( please google the correct website).
    there are ways to avoid it..
    OR
    you can downgrade to the lowest plan and ride it out up to your contract..
    08-06-10 07:40 PM
    Thanks for the input everyone but I've decided to pay the ETF in 3 installments on the bill and if that is not acceptable I will put dumb phones on the other two lines & take my business elsewhere. Either way I will pay the bill in full. If only I could have paid the fee right away I had local buyers more than willing to meet me at my local verizon to purchase the phone.
    08-06-10 08:29 PM
    Wireless carriers don't do this. Occasionally they will throw you a small credit but not often. I have never seen a full credit for an ETF. It costs the new carrier 10x more to have a new customer than to keep an old customer. So if you get a rep to do this, go for it since it probably won't ever happen again.

Cable companies are different from wireless.

08-07-10 12:12 AM
    Thanks for the input everyone but I've decided to pay the ETF in 3 installments on the bill and if that is not acceptable I will put dumb phones on the other two lines & take my business elsewhere. Either way I will pay the bill in full. If only I could have paid the fee right away I had local buyers more than willing to meet me at my local verizon to purchase the phone.
    Verizon moved up my cancellation dates so I could sell the phones. The phone reps are the ones that have access into your suspended account if you ported out.

08-07-10 12:14 AM
    After a 3 way call with Verizon and my prospective buyer, Verizon verified the MEIN and told the buyer he was free to activate it. I just wonder why another rep told me that I could not sell the phone until the ETF was paid. Regardless now they will get the ETF payment in full. I'm guessing it just depends on who you speak with.
    08-07-10 05:14 PM
    Just for future reference (in case its useful to anyone), I have come across ONE carrier that will reimburse your ETF if you come from another company. I want to say Viaro or something spelled close to that (my memory is fried, sorry!)

08-09-10 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD