Yet another memory question. I have an 8330 with Verizon and using v4.5.0.77 os. Albeit I have a lot of apps on my phone, I get significant "memory leaks". After rebooting I start at about 12,000,000 free and without doing anything I drop to about 7,000,000 in no time. I have checked, and I do not have many things running. I am using a memory card and save all photos and music on it. I close the browser after using it as well.

Aside from trying to figure out where my memory is going, another disturbing observation is that I am using Memory Up Professional. The software says I only have about 33,000,000 in total memory - with about 21,000,000 free. Is there a difference between what Memory Up is measuring and what is displayed in the "status" section? I thought the total memory is like 48,000,000 or some such number.

I have used some of the software found here like Crack Mem to reduce unnecessary files (still have voice dialing and help though) but wish I could find the culprit and/or get more memory.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    05-24-09 06:40 PM
    upgrade the os to .131 or .138.
    05-24-09 07:26 PM
    The BlackBerry OS allocates memory dynamically. That's why we recommend you keep your File Free above 12 000 000 bytes. A variation of +/- 5M isn't necessarily a sign of a problem.

The problem with Memory Up (or any 3rd party memory manager) is that it has to run in the memory it is trying to manage. So any memory it frees up has to be greater than the memory it uses itself for you to see any net gain. The device memory is also being managed by the OS. You can't turn off the OS memory management, and you can't prevent it from conflicting with Memory Up. Conflicting memory management schemes may be causing the results you're getting.
    05-24-09 09:57 PM
    Hi Jeff:

Thanks for your response. What you said makes sense, but I do not see much difference in the numbers even when I do not load Memory Up. Just seems like a lot of my memory is eaten up. And the rapid loss of free files, or memory is frustrating.
    05-24-09 10:01 PM
    If you really want to find which app is using the memory, you'll have to remove them all and add them back one at a time. Viigo used to have a memory use issue. I don't know if it still does or not. A rapid drop of 5M that stabilizes isn't really a memory leak. It's just an app using memory. It isn't necessarily indicative of a bad app.
    05-24-09 10:07 PM
    Well that makes sense. I deleted Viigo some time ago because I did not really use it. I am using Berryweather which maybe dropping my free files.

Still wondering how I used so much memory up. I do have the full install of Docs-To-Go (so far been a waste - had it on my Palm and wanted to get it back, but I don't use it much and it cost about $75). I think that is a hog - not in terms of "leaking" but I think it takes up a lot of space. I deleted an RSS for the WSJ which I suspect also drained a lot of memory.

Not sure I want to delete all the apps. My phone works, and I do not want go through that much hassle if I can avoid it.

Thanks again for your responses.

Paul
    05-24-09 10:14 PM
    If you really want to find which app is using the memory, you'll have to remove them all and add them back one at a time. Viigo used to have a memory use issue. I don't know if it still does or not. A rapid drop of 5M that stabilizes isn't really a memory leak. It's just an app using memory. It isn't necessarily indicative of a bad app.

+1

its memory leak is one that you look at your blackberry at one point and it has 30 mb free then u look again and u have 20 mb free then u look later and you have 8mb free etc etc

same go's for a pc with app using up crazy ram.. its actually more common then people think.
    05-24-09 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD