I finally got the nerve to open up my Verizon bill after a trip to Canada. I was careful: I disabled my Internet-based GPS locator as well as Google Sync, Latitude, and Talk. I left my email working but didn't download images unless it was important, I used the browser sparingly, and I even had to show off the VZ Song ID app to a data connectionless iPhone user. When I opened the bill I was shocked at the cost:

A whopping $3.29 for 1647kB.

My wife spent most of the time in data services "Off when Roaming" mode and had another 37c. A modicum of preparation and International travel bills need not be scary.
    07-24-09 01:44 PM
    lol would have been more suspenseful had you had the total under a hidden button but good job.
    07-24-09 01:46 PM
    lol would have been more suspenseful had you had the total under a hidden button but good job.
    haha that would have been awesome!!!

Congrats on a good bill!!!
    07-24-09 01:49 PM
    You said you "left your email working"...I'm a newbie, but we'll be in Canada for 3 weeks and am interested in getting emails on my BB. Did you keep your whole BB "OFF" and just check in periodically? Is that what you meant? I don't want to use it as a phone (we have a Sprint phone with Canada add-on service for that) but I do want email.
    07-28-09 07:33 AM
    I left it on all the time figuring it's still nice to be able to receive calls and just not answer unless it was from someone important. If you want to really be frugal it's possible that you could save some more data over three weeks by only downloading your emails once or twice a day, but I was there for 4 days so I don't think it would have made a huge impact for me (not that $3.29 was huge to begin with).

The alternative would be to disable/delete the accounts I didn't care about so I'd get less email than normal. My important emails all go to my GMail account, but I've got an AIM account that I use for unimportant messages and things likely to generate spam - disabling my AIM account probably would cut my emails received to about a quarter of what they are normally. The most important thing is to scan through your installed apps and think about whether they access the Internet and start automatically. Latitude is the one I nearly forgot about and probably caused the 37c charge on my wife's phone before she disabled data. Instant Messaging clients would be another that is common and easy to forget.

Just as another helpful hint, you can turn the entire BB off but then you lose the ability to make phone calls and use offline apps - may as well just leave it in your room. You can turn the radio off, this will save battery life and let you use apps, but not send data or receive phone calls. Or under Manage Connections --> Mobile Network Options (you may need to look around where this hides on a Curve) you can just turn data services off. This lets you make/receive calls if you need to and allows for offline apps to work.
    07-28-09 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD