10-23-09 02:03 PM
50 12
tools
    I'm sorry I even started this thread now. There was no whining, just someone wanting to discuss something carrier related.

@imp42: It wasn't my intention to offend you and I apologize for having done so, by the statement "spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management" I was referring to someone who actually exhibited all of those qualities, I wasn't meaning to stereotype. Please accept my apologies. I agree with you, nobody seems to be 100% in their advertising anymore, a sad but undeniable fact.

@djs3322: My wife is worth much more than $49.99, she is priceless to me. In a months time I'm looking forward to being able to spend that $49.99 on her. :-)

I think I will stick to my usual theme, OS and device discussion areas from now on. Seems there are too many people in this one just looking for a chance to pull peoples posts apart, throw the true point in the corner and try their best to stir the pot. I apologize in advance to those that frequent this verizon carrier forum that don't fit into that category, you certainly aren't included in the above collation. As for those that are, I suggest you take your pot stirring attitude somewhere where you can't air it without taking the risk of a physical response, perhaps then you will learn to find something better to do with your time.

End of thread.
    10-22-09 04:43 PM
    Seems there are too many people in this one just looking for a chance to pull peoples posts apart, throw the true point in the corner and try their best to stir the pot.
    Nah dude, we're all over crackberry. Really, we don't have much of a life outside of the internet, and not much else to talk about, so we have to do SOMEthing to feel important. That's what the internet is for!

You know how many times I've gotten myself a new a$$hole ripped for starting a thread?? Do a search for "Lack of Free Apps Just Me?" Take it all with a grain of salt cause it ain't worth anything....much like anything a company advertises
    10-22-09 04:48 PM
    No, it's not that bad, just something we can't afford to spend right now. I suppose my main gripe is about misleading advertising.
    gotta read the fine print
    10-22-09 05:13 PM
    I realize that each bb requires a data plan, I actually get this for 23 a month with my employers discount, this isn't relevant anyway. I cannot afford to pay for the phone THIS MONTH, I'm 39 years old with a wife, children, a home, vehicles and all the bills that come with it. Not a spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management. Month to month, the data plan costs for both my own berry and the one I had hoped to surprise my wife with are budgeted for and affordable. As those of you of a similar age and in a similar life situation will understand, some months extra costs come in leaving you with very little cash until the next pay day. Besides, my ability to pay $49.99, $30, $149.99 or $149,000.99 is irrelevant to the original topic of this thread, I was simply wanting to underline that Verizon's advertising is misleading to a normal, non-employee, customer.

@TheSultan:

You're absolutely right. I too want to know the ins and outs of every decision I make before I make it, I had a very friendly conversation with a Verizon rep this morning as there were obviously details that were escaping me.

I suppose I just wish that companies in general would be more forthcoming with information for their advertisements, instead of just putting up 'the bait' and dealing with the unspecified t's and c's as they come. Oh well, commerce sadly drives the world in which we live.
    I think the issue raised was that if you can't afford 50 now, how can you afford a similar amount each and every month. If your finances are that tight, the berry plan is not going to help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 05:22 PM
    Oh well, commerce sadly drives the world in which we live.
    Sadly? If it weren't for commerce, we'd not have a national phone network, much less a mobile phone network that can connect you to all corners of the earth with voice & data. No miracle medications, no cars, no radio, not much of anything.

By the way, I just looked at the upgrade & promo info on the VZW, AT&T & T-Mobile sites. Nothing misleading on any of them. You simply have to take the initiative to READ more than the headline. Headlines are intended to spur interest, but they don't tell you the whole story. If you choose to not read the story, that's your problem.

All straight-forward & to the point.

By the way, if you put some money away each month instead of spending every last dollar, you'd have the $49 for the phone. Instead, you want a free phone to spend more money on each month instead of saving anything. I have you by almost 20 years - maybe it will take you that long to learn how to save. Then again, maybe not. If my income ceased today, I could live in the manner I do today for about 30 years. It was something I learned very young - like in the 1950s.

10-22-09 05:49 PM
    It really is like flies around ****, isn't it. I just have to laugh at this point.
    10-22-09 05:53 PM
    We have to buzz around something. You just happen to be the best pile right now.
    10-22-09 05:55 PM
    Nothing personal, I just think your making a bad choice.

10-22-09 05:56 PM
    I understand that ads can be very misleading that's nothing new with all companies, unfortunately. It's designed to attract consumers like you and me.

Secondly, I understand that you have "grown-up" expenses that take precedence over a simple phone, but $50 bucks man come on. Just add it to your bill and pay over time maybe an extra $25 per month.

Bills or not you can find some way to squeak out $50. Come on now Russ.
    10-22-09 06:07 PM
    It really is like flies around ****, isn't it. I just have to laugh at this point.
    Don't be upset with the guys Russell Crackberry is NOT for the faint of heart. They really mean well deep down inside.

$50 Russ come on el cheapo... just kidding.
    10-22-09 06:18 PM
    I cannot afford to pay for the phone THIS MONTH, I'm 39 years old with a wife, children, a home, vehicles and all the bills that come with it. Not a spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management. Month to month, the data plan costs for both my own berry and the one I had hoped to surprise my wife with are budgeted for and affordable. As those of you of a similar age and in a similar life situation will understand, some months extra costs come in leaving you with very little cash until the next pay day.
    Hilarious.. What happens when your car breaks down or you get sick and you cannot provide for your family? Where is your savings? You really think someone with a clue about money management would put themselves and their family in a position that they squeeze every last dime each month to make it, but still have a BlackBerry? What do you use it for? Certainly not work, because that employee discount would be 100% Your priorities are not in order.

20 year olds aren't required to save at this point and most cannot, because they are in the same position as you are. I don't know any 20 year olds that are cruising around in BMW's with Blackberry's just for fun. So even though you didn't mean to offend a specific person here you just generalized an entire age group.

And actually most 39 year olds are making enough to drive around in nice cars and chat on their brand new BlackBerry's. So I'm not sure if you can really relate to the majority of 39 year olds.

Bottom line: You can't afford the phone, because you failed to comprehend the obvious "If eligible for New Every Two credit with 2yr renewal or $49.99 with new 2yr activation."

Allow me as a rep to break this down to you:

Are you eligible for a 2 year contract renewal?
    If no - then stop here. If yes - continue to the next question.

Are you eligible for a New Every Two credit?

If no - then stop here. If yes - your BB Storm will be free.

In the mean time don't buy a BlackBerry for your wife. She will appreciate it more if you go watch some Dave Ramsey or something.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 10-23-09 at 12:26 AM.
    10-23-09 12:21 AM
    Does anyone else ever notice the pattern with the modern irresponsible consumer?

They misunderstand something because they didn't read.

They go out in public trying to tell people how BIG BAD COMPANY was dishonest, misleading & fraudulent.

People in public respond by saying they knew the details, understood it & didn't feel that the BIG BAD COMPANY was dishonest, misleading or fraudulent.

Instead of the individual admitting that maybe they were in error & apologizing for said error & their ignorance, they respond by saying HEY, I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW TO LOOK OUT FOR THE BIG BAD COMPANY! Then they proceed to sling insults at the intelligent people, since they can't bring themselves to admit their ignorance.

Sad... very sad.

As an extension to tsguy52's sentiment, can anyone tell me what is misleading about the ad?

It is misleading if you're overcome with ignorance or blindness.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 10-23-09 at 12:56 AM.
    10-23-09 12:53 AM
    All this bickering....

And in the end....

She probably won't like the phone....
    10-23-09 03:27 AM
    This has gotten out of line, no need to get personal about it. And I don't agree that most 39 year olds have money for nice cars, etc. Look at the statistics, especially in the last couple of years. The guy is trying to support his family, who are we to tell him he's not doing a good job of it?

10-23-09 08:34 AM
    Not a spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management.
    Good thing I'm 21 and this doesn't apply to me...
    10-23-09 09:00 AM
    To someone who does not work for Verizon and knows all the ins and outs of contracts, does this not seem to denote a 'new every two credit'?
    No, it sounds like someone, someone I see on a daily basis, who doesn't take the short amount of time to understand how upgrades work. It's not an "in or out" that someone who works with this information would only know, it's something that EVERY CUSTOMER should know and understand.

And I'm sorry, I simply don't understand how you can afford two data plans a month but not a one time purchase of 49.99 for a phone.
    10-23-09 09:03 AM

And I'm sorry, I simply don't understand how you can afford two data plans a month but not a one time purchase of 49.99 for a phone.
    Could be living paycheck to paycheck, certain bills go through on certain days, we don't know and honestly I don't know why ppl care so much? It may not make sense but isn't the issue at hand that he got annoyed because of what he thought was "false advertisement"???
    10-23-09 09:06 AM
    When I get annoyed I leave...
    10-23-09 09:47 AM
    When I get annoyed, I stand up & fight...
    10-23-09 09:50 AM
    I realize that each bb requires a data plan, I actually get this for 23 a month with my employers discount, this isn't relevant anyway. I cannot afford to pay for the phone THIS MONTH, I'm 39 years old with a wife, children, a home, vehicles and all the bills that come with it. Not a spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management. Month to month, the data plan costs for both my own berry and the one I had hoped to surprise my wife with are budgeted for and affordable.
    I know you have already stated your apologies on the “spotty 20 year old” comment, but I’m still a little ticked off. I don’t see how any person would try and classify all 20 years as being spotty with no money management skills. It’s funny an all because I am 20 years and have great money management skills.
    I bought my blackberry right before I turned 19. Also I have never missed paying a bill either!
    I bought my own car and pay it off by myself &I pay my own insurance.
    I live on my own and pay my rent and all other bills!
    Notice: Mommy and Daddy aren’t mentioned in there ONCE!

Next time you want to make a judgment call on 20 year olds, maybe you should bite your tongue and not say what you are thinking.
    10-23-09 10:46 AM
    I told myself I wasn't going to come back to this 'out of hand' thread, but I'm going to one more time. I'll keep it short, sweet and to the point with some repeats:

1) My wording on the 20yr comment was bad and I've apologized already, I will also do so again. A better way to say it would have been "A 20 year old who as well as being 20 years old also does not have any money management skills". I could have also said "A 39 year old who as well as being 39 years old does not have any money management skills". I apologize, the statement was badly thought out and came over very offensive. Once again, I am deeply sorry and didn't mean or want to offend anyone. I'm sure we've all said things that aren't well thought out when we've been feeling upset by something. I deeply regret the statement, I've admitted it was wrong and have apologized, what else can I do? I'm an imperfect human just like everyone else.

2) I do have savings, but my savings are there for taking care of financial emergencies, such as a car braking down etc. I do not use my savings for paying for nice to have's such as mobile phones. My wife and I also decided not to use them for the things that came up this month as we had sufficient in our checking account to cover them. I don't understand why I'm even discussing this as it's irrelevant to the point of the thread.

3) My expenditures are all budgeted, I am well aware that another blackberry would have added a second mandatory data plan to my bill. This is not an issue financially and is not the issue in this thread.

4) My sole purpose of this thread was to say that I found Verizon's advertisement misleading. As for reading the small print or terms and conditions, there were none on that advertisement. Clicking the 'Learn More' button simply gave pretty much the same information, hence I called customer service for assistance when I didn't understand the price.

5) From reading the reps replies to this thread it has become obvious now that there is a substantial difference between 'new every two' and a 'new every two credit'. This really isn't obvious, a customer could easily come to the conclusion that a 'new every two credit' is what they receive when their 'new every two' date comes up. If I understand the posts by the reps properly, they seem to deal with this misunderstanding a lot. When a person thinks they already understand something, they don't tend to delve deeper. In retrospect, I suppose that the correct statement is that the advertisement is clear as to what is required to be eligible for the free upgrade, however, average consumer knowledge is inadequate for proper comprehension. It would be a good idea if Verizon made the distinction between a 'new every two' and a 'new every two credit' clearer in a place where the average consumer will be brought to it's attention.

I have no doubt in my mind that there will now be a barrage of the same replies that have already been repeated over and over in this thread, to each their own. I would also like to say thank you to those who have understood the original point of my opening post and to apologize once more to those that were offended.

I shall not post in this thread again.

Best wishes to all,

Russ.
    10-23-09 11:14 AM
    You can send a private message to pkcable to get this puppy locked down if you wish.
    10-23-09 01:00 PM
    I know you have already stated your apologies on the “spotty 20 year old” comment, but I’m still a little ticked off. I don’t see how any person would try and classify all 20 years as being spotty with no money management skills. It’s funny an all because I am 20 years and have great money management skills.
    I bought my blackberry right before I turned 19. Also I have never missed paying a bill either!
    I bought my own car and pay it off by myself &I pay my own insurance.
    I live on my own and pay my rent and all other bills!
    Notice: Mommy and Daddy aren’t mentioned in there ONCE!

Next time you want to make a judgment call on 20 year olds, maybe you should bite your tongue and not say what you are thinking.
    You want a cookie Thinkamp because you're doing what thousands of people ur age do everyday.

The guy apologized for the ignorant blanket statement so let it go.
    10-23-09 01:04 PM
    You want a cookie Thinkamp because you're doing what thousands of people ur age do everyday.

The guy apologized for the ignorant blanket statement so let it go.
    Totally agree. This thread is unbelievable, it needs to get closed. Leave the poor OP alone already.

10-23-09 01:12 PM
    Actually yes I would like a cookie.
    As I stated right before I went into my little life line I know he had already apologized, but I wanted to throw my opinion out there. Thanks for being captin obvious and all but GTFO.
    Whatever!!! I just hate when people gangbang an OP who really wasnt that rude, just cheap.

All jokes aside though I am proud of you. Keep grinding Thinkster.
    10-23-09 02:03 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD