10-23-09 01:03 PM
50 12
tools
    I've been waiting to surprise my wife as her new every two came up for renewal today. She's wanted a BlackBerry for ages and we haven't been in a position to spend the money recently, when I saw Verizon's advert on their website "Get the Storm for free, if eligible for new every two credit with 2yr renewal or $49.99 with 2yr activation" I've been looking forward to surprising my wife with a BlackBerry for free when 10/22/09 came around.

I logged onto the VZW site this morning and applied for the upgrade only to be presented with a $49.99 price tag. I called customer service and was told that the free Storm deal was only valid for a primary line.

Supposedly, if I'd walked into a store as a new customer I could have gotten a family plan with two lines and two free Storms. I know that Verizon needs to attract new customers, but keeping their existing customers should be just as, if not more, important.

Verizon needs to be a little clearer in their advertisement, or at least have small print stating that the free Storm was just for primary lines.

Glad I didn't let the wife in on what I was going to do, she would have been disappointed.
    10-22-09 09:10 AM
    Is $49.99 really that bad? I know its not free, but its not $200.00 either!
    10-22-09 09:15 AM
    No, it's not that bad, just something we can't afford to spend right now. I suppose my main gripe is about misleading advertising.
    10-22-09 09:21 AM
    Yea that is very misleading...I would tell them look on the advertisment is didn't say anything about it having to be the primary line. That is false advertisment and they need to give you it for what you saw!
    10-22-09 09:30 AM
    Isn't an NE credit only given on the primary line with the new policies?
    10-22-09 09:57 AM
    Sweating the $50 now when you're going to be paying $30 per month extra?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 10:00 AM
    Isn't an NE credit only given on the primary line with the new policies?
    On the website for my account, it shows a new every two progress bar for each line on my account. It even came up with a pop-up box today for my wifes phone reminding me of the ne2 eligibility.
    10-22-09 10:01 AM
    You are eligible for NE2 on secondary lines - it gives you reduced pricing on a new phone, which could equate to free.

You only get the additional NE2 allowance on primary lines - the full priced line.

EXAMPLE
    $200 phone without contract becomes
    $50 phone with new contract
    This is for primary or secondary lines
    The primary line would get that PLUS $30/$50/$70/$100 NE2 allowance.

Please don't confuse the NE2 pricing with the additional loyalty bonus.
    10-22-09 10:19 AM
    Yea that is very misleading..
    There's nothing misleading about it, it clearly says "if you are eligible for the extra new every two credit". Secondary lines do not qualify for that extra credit. 49.99.

And the comment about it being different in the stores is incorrect also. I haven't been to work in over a week, but as far as I know, the bogo on the Storms is still on, so it's 149.99 up front for the first phone, second phone is free out the door. There is a one hundred dollar mail in rebate for the phone you pay for.
    10-22-09 11:18 AM
    "Get the Storm for free, if eligible for new every two credit with 2yr renewal or $49.99 with 2yr activation"

Verizon needs to be a little clearer in their advertisement.
    That seems clear to me.....
    10-22-09 11:18 AM
    A new customer would not have gotten them for free.

How can you afford 30 a month but not 50 for the phone? Look at a Rogue.
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 10-22-09 at 11:30 AM.
    10-22-09 11:28 AM
    Not sure where the 30 instead of 50 came from? I was under the misapprehension that I could get a Storm1 for my wife for free not for 49.99. I was in error about my assumption of a what a brand new customer could achieve.

As for the advertisement, it states "Get the Storm for free, if eligible for new every two credit with 2yr renewal or $49.99 with 2yr activation". If I log into my account at VZW and click on the 'Upgrade your phone' link I am presented with a screen which shows all the lines on my account (3 at the moment) and each one has a 'New every two' upgrade status indicator. My wife's was eligible for new every two today on 10/22. To someone who does not work for Verizon and knows all the ins and outs of contracts, does this not seem to denote a 'new every two credit'?

My point is this, the advertisement is misleading, simply that. It may not seem so to those of you that work for Verizon, but please try and see if from a customers point of view that doesn't have your in-depth knowledge.

Yes, I do think that even 49.99 for a Storm is a good deal, that's not my point even though I cannot afford to spend 49.99 right now.
    10-22-09 02:28 PM
    Not sure where the 30 instead of 50 came from? I was under the misapprehension that I could get a Storm1 for my wife for free not for 49.99. I was in error about my assumption of a what a brand new customer could achieve.

As for the advertisement, it states "Get the Storm for free, if eligible for new every two credit with 2yr renewal or $49.99 with 2yr activation". If I log into my account at VZW and click on the 'Upgrade your phone' link I am presented with a screen which shows all the lines on my account (3 at the moment) and each one has a 'New every two' upgrade status indicator. My wife's was eligible for new every two today on 10/22. To someone who does not work for Verizon and knows all the ins and outs of contracts, does this not seem to denote a 'new every two credit'?

My point is this, the advertisement is misleading, simply that. It may not seem so to those of you that work for Verizon, but please try and see if from a customers point of view that doesn't have your in-depth knowledge.

Yes, I do think that even 49.99 for a Storm is a good deal, that's not my point even though I cannot afford to spend 49.99 right now.
    The extra 30 is for the monthly data plan
    10-22-09 02:32 PM
    If you cannot afford the $50 for the phone, how are you going to afford the monthly cost for the BB plan?
    10-22-09 02:33 PM

That does sound confusing, russnash, but unless all your lines are on a single line plan, you wouldn't be eligible for NE2 on all 3 lines. That is definitley a mistake, if that's what it shows. I wasn't there when you were on the website so when you quoted what it did tell you, I assumed that was pretty straight forward of a notification. You obviousley received other misleading information. But if 50.00 is out of the budget for the Storm, the data plan for 30.00 might be as well.

Oh and NE2 is not available for new customers, so you do get an extra incentive as an existing user. New customers would not get the Storm free, they would get the 2-year price of 49.99. Maybe wait for the Storm 2 to release, it might drop the Storm 1 to free or cheaper.....
    Last edited by supermario28; 10-22-09 at 02:40 PM.
    10-22-09 02:38 PM
    NE2 credit and NE2 renewal pricing are two different things. You are eligible for the credit, the secondary line is not.

Get it? SHe gets reduced pricing with renewal, you get reduced pricing and a credit with renewal.
    10-22-09 02:41 PM

The 30 comes from the required data plan that is 29.99 a month for the entire time that you have the blackberry activated on the account. No, it cant ever be removed.
    10-22-09 02:42 PM
    Looks like there's even more confusion in this thread! lol

You have to assume whenever a company advertises ANYthing, they're trying to make money. Whether it's a carrier giving a deal on a $500 phone, Best Buy selling washing machines or a used toaster on craigslist. I always make sure I ask lots of questions before signing on the line.

Did you contact Verizon with "lemme get this straight...." kinda question? If not, I'd recommend doing so in the future. It makes for a more educated decision.
    10-22-09 02:42 PM
    And you need a data plan for EACH blackberry.
    10-22-09 02:44 PM
    I realize that each bb requires a data plan, I actually get this for 23 a month with my employers discount, this isn't relevant anyway. I cannot afford to pay for the phone THIS MONTH, I'm 39 years old with a wife, children, a home, vehicles and all the bills that come with it. Not a spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management. Month to month, the data plan costs for both my own berry and the one I had hoped to surprise my wife with are budgeted for and affordable. As those of you of a similar age and in a similar life situation will understand, some months extra costs come in leaving you with very little cash until the next pay day. Besides, my ability to pay $49.99, $30, $149.99 or $149,000.99 is irrelevant to the original topic of this thread, I was simply wanting to underline that Verizon's advertising is misleading to a normal, non-employee, customer.

@TheSultan:

You're absolutely right. I too want to know the ins and outs of every decision I make before I make it, I had a very friendly conversation with a Verizon rep this morning as there were obviously details that were escaping me.

I suppose I just wish that companies in general would be more forthcoming with information for their advertisements, instead of just putting up 'the bait' and dealing with the unspecified t's and c's as they come. Oh well, commerce sadly drives the world in which we live.
    Last edited by russnash; 10-22-09 at 03:06 PM.
    10-22-09 03:01 PM
    Not a spotty 20 yr old with no clue about money management.
    I am 20 years old I do in fact have a very good sence about money management from month to month. I do not like the fact that just because sombody is young, people automatically assume they have no clue how to manage their finaces.
    Last edited by IMP42; 10-22-09 at 03:08 PM.
    10-22-09 03:05 PM
    Also, slightly more on topic, what company is 100% clear with their advertising?
    10-22-09 03:07 PM
    Oh wow, I am a 57 year old that doesn't know hot to manage money, sir. And if you were so intelligent, you would have got all the facts, hence managing your purchase wisely, therefore not whining in a forum, insulting strangers. Like the responsible adult that you are.
    10-22-09 03:14 PM
    Your wife is not worth finding an extra $49.99 for??? You better hope she doesn't find out about that!!!!!! =-)

10-22-09 03:21 PM
    LOL! OP = George from Sienfeld.
    10-22-09 03:26 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD