08-17-09 02:52 PM
67 123
tools
    Dude... I'm a paramedic... I've been hit, bit, had a gun pulled on me, you name it. People get pissed. They swear. It isn't anything to cry about.
    I must have forgot at which point I said that being a tech was the hardest job in the world. Thanks for your service.
    08-14-09 11:27 PM
    I work in customer service for a cable TV company. I've been at this job for 13 years, in the call center for the first 18 months, and ever since then at a walk-in customer service center.

When I was on the phones, I was screamed at, cussed at, etc. One guy even said he was coming down to our building to kick my @ss.

At the walk-in location, it's not usually as bad, but most of my customers have been coming in to my office every month for the 11 years that we've been at this location, so they know me and know that I know my stuff. One of the girls at a different location had a customer spit in her face once. If that had been me on the receiving end of that, I would have gone across the counter, and that would have been the day that I lost my job.

Over the years, I've learned to not take it personally when they want to act stupid. And I also learned many years ago to reveal very little personal information, because you never know who might want to look you up.
    08-15-09 12:34 AM
    Women get abused in call centers. They get the perverts who think the woman has a nice voice & whether or not they act out on it, they imagine the number they called had a 900 NPA.

Then they get the Middle Eastern wackjobs who consider women to be second-class citizens who exist for one purpose.

There are also the assorted dopes who think a woman doesn't know what she is talking about.

Maybe the caller is one of those nutcases who thinks he can intimidate a woman - you know, the putz on a power-trip.

Throw in the modern freaks who don't realize their use of profanity is a sign of stupidity & a poor vocabulary...

All of the above are seriously deficient in some major area of their being.

Mind you, I am an American man of Middle Eastern descent who can intimidate 99% of all humans alive with a stare & a scowl. But don't cross me & I am as gentle as a lamb.

Years ago, while managing a team @ AT&T, I found one of my girls on the phone in tears. She was being hammered by some bozo on the phone. Mind you, there was never an acceptable reason @ AT&T for a rep to disconnect a customer. But as a manager, I could. I Y-jacked with her for a moment to get a bearing on the conversation. I looked at her terminal & couldn't believe what I saw - the customer was a CPA who lived three doors down from me. Not only was he a geeky little worm - I had roughly a twelve inch height advantage & probably 130 pounds on the guy - he was one of those kinds who thought he was superdude on the phone with women.
    I cut in & took over the call. After his surprise over the sudden takeover waned, he started to let me have it - he already was on too much of a roll, built up from abusing one of my people. Language was blue & threats were frequent - all over calls to his mother that he felt he was being overcharged for. Sorry sir, but it is your fault you're calling mommy during the peak 0800-1700 hour time period. Even though I properly introduced myself, he didn't put two & two together. He had no clue he was now abusing his neighbor.

Until I mentioned what kind of car he drove - a wimpy FWD Toyota Camry - and his wife's name. When it did hit him, his reaction was a quick switch - he exclaimed OH F--- & he suddenly had something more important to do & disconnected.

About a week later, he was pulling into his driveway. I was walking the dogs, heading toward his house. My intention was to just keep walking & if he started a neighborly conversation, I'd let him. But all he could do was continue pulling into the driveway while staring at me, eyes wide. I wasn't fast enough to speak up & instead watched incredulously as he drove through the garage door he forgot to open & plow into his wife's car in the garage.

Two weeks later, a For Sale sign appeared & they moved out. Never saw him again.

Culture, idiocy, immaturity, bravado, perversion, stupid parents - these can all be reasons people act the way they do on the phone. Sometimes, it is a combination of these problems.

If you can't handle people who might have these types of problems, you shouldn't be in a call center or customer service. And if you are someone with these problems, remember - it could be the mutant giant of a soul who lives on your street & scares your dog that you're trying to intimidate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 01:15 AM
    I get the customers on the phone as you described who feel like women are less. I hear it from the female reps and I hear it from customers talking about their wives. Like Twins said, it's mostly Middle Eastern and/or muslim men.

I hear the "Shut the **** up" or the "Why are you backtalking" or the "i called back cause I didn't wanna talk to a woman." The thing is they always come back to me and are like and laugh and justify it to me like I agree with them.

It's amazing how I do not do anything to help them when I hear this stuff. It's so amazingly degrading, you want credit? Learn how to treat your wife.
    08-15-09 02:50 AM
    Awesome story Twins! One just cannot make that stuff up, that made my morning.

08-15-09 02:57 AM
    ha try working at verizon-in the collections dept (10 years) for res & bus landline customers-you want to talk about being screamed & cursed at-you'd think some people would be a little nicer since their phone is off & they want it back on-i've been called a c*nt-a b*tch-some guy told me i can suck his dingaling- of course his choice of wording it was a little different thank god i have a supervisor who will just take the call over if he hears you having a problem-people just dont understand that service will be suspended if you havent paid in 6 months but you know they had other bills to pay & they actually tell you that-i have way to many horror stories-we get to warn them that if they dont stop with their potty mouths we will drop the call
    08-15-09 03:24 AM
    You ever get one of those people who isn't angry at anything, but they just cuss...and cuss...and cuss...and cuss again like a sailor? (Or a 10 year old trying to sound big on Xbox Live.) I dunno why, but I always have to hold in a laugh at calls like that. They're not mad at you or anyone else, but they cuss to a rediculous degree. I find them amusing for some odd reason.

I do too, they aren't upset at a thing, that's just how they speak. It's hilarious.
    08-15-09 06:39 AM
    Cool. Trolls deserve Sprint.

Just wait till you experiance THEIR customer service and tech support... now, THATS service...

oh yeah thats sarcastic.
    08-15-09 07:11 AM
    Forgot to mention the customer I had yesterday... his blackberry storm wasnt getting email; he had three emails an outlook web access; gmail and yahoo. After t/s the issue determained that the issue layed with the outlook web access account and needed to be troubleshot with his business it dept. He got mad because it took some troubleshooting to rule out blackberry and our service. After said and done ( and resolving the other two emails ) he said he might as well of gone to the DMV because nothing got accomplished and it took too damn long...
    "sorry I fixed your email; thank you for calling verizon wireless"
    08-15-09 10:57 AM
    Vzw Customer here. I have to say that overall I have been satisfied with Verizon's customer service when I would call them with a problem. Their stores on the other hand just suck. I avoid having to do any business with the stores. A long story but I will not go into it here. Mostly if you are not coming into the store to buy phones on new plans they treat you like crap.

But overall I will remain with Verizon because they are the best by far. Thanks to all the customer reps that have helped me in the past.
    08-16-09 06:36 AM
    One thing that's always worked for me is in a firm but professional tone, explain to the customer the exact process of what is happening at that moment.

"Sir, I am attempting to help you resolve your issue, however you are raising your voice and cursing in a way that is making it harder to do my job. Simply put sir, the louder you get, the slower I work. I'd like to help you resolve this, but I'm going to need your cooperation to get it done."
    08-17-09 12:43 PM
    Great story twins! I almost never hear abuse of women(except for the occasional perv that likes the voice on the other end and asks stuff like what are you wearing but never things like c*nt. I can't imagine calling another human that.
    08-17-09 12:54 PM
    I had a guy tell one of my female reps that he wanted to take her to the hampton.
    08-17-09 01:34 PM
    I had a guy tell one of my female reps that he wanted to take her to the hampton.
    You should have showed up instead, with several others, and several bats.
    08-17-09 01:35 PM
    The funny thing was his wife was an account manager on the account.
    08-17-09 02:39 PM
    Ouch should have made a call to his wife and said hi your account has been flagged because of the sexual/offensive language used by your husband and let that her deal with him lol
    08-17-09 02:49 PM
    I should have . Had it been a repeat offense I may have.
    08-17-09 02:52 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD