I currently have a Krzr with Americas Choice 2100. There are a total of 4 phones on the plan. I want to get a Storm when available. This will be the 5th phone on the plan.

I was considering a Curve, and the web site said I had to change to a Nationwide plan. The price and minutes were the same, but I recall reading somewhere that Americas Choice is better than Nationwide. I realize they don't offer AC anymore, so I can't find anything that explains the difference.

What am I losing or gaining, by making that change?
    11-10-08 10:09 PM
    I currently have a Krzr with Americas Choice 2100. There are a total of 4 phones on the plan. I want to get a Storm when available. This will be the 5th phone on the plan.

I was considering a Curve, and the web site said I had to change to a Nationwide plan. The price and minutes were the same, but I recall reading somewhere that Americas Choice is better than Nationwide. I realize they don't offer AC anymore, so I can't find anything that explains the difference.

What am I losing or gaining, by making that change?
    You will not have a choice in the matter. When you make a change on the account, they will automatically switch you to the plan that closest resembles yours if you are lucky they will tell you so you are not surprised when you get the bill. Call CS they should be able to tell you the differences.
    11-10-08 10:30 PM
    The differences are pretty simple.

1. The name

2. How data is billed to dumb phones. Previously you were paying for extra mins for all data; ex. checking for ringtones was costing you airtime for every min you looked. Now you will only be charged for airtime when you talk on the phone. If you transfer data wirelessly to the handset you will be charged $1.99/MB.

The best part about the Nationwide plans is that if you are in the extended network you can now get EV based data services where on AMC2 you could not.
    11-10-08 10:39 PM
    The curve does not require nationwide pricing.
    11-11-08 12:22 PM
    The curve does not require nationwide pricing.
    All new upgrades now require the Nationwide price plan.
    11-11-08 01:07 PM
    I had to do this when I upgraded my Razr to Pearl. And they pissed me off b/c they removed some of the cheaper plans. I don't need a lot of minutes and I swear there used to be cheaper plans with fewer minutes under AC.
    11-11-08 01:50 PM
    The Nationwide plans are almost identical to the America's Choice II plans, the only difference is how data is charged. They are the same monthly cost and same minute allowance.
    11-11-08 03:39 PM
    OK - I understand the AC versus Nationwide is no consequence for my use.

Second question: My primary phone on the account is only 8 months old, so no discounts or NE2 for quite a while. One of the other phones on the account is eligible for upgrade at discount price (been over a year).

Can I get a BB as an upgrade to that non-primary line, and get the discounted price? I am planning to get the Storm when available.
    11-11-08 08:40 PM
    Yes you can the early upgrade on the secondary line, no NE2 though, then change the ESN so the storm is on the line you want.
    11-11-08 08:42 PM
    Can I get a BB as an upgrade to that non-primary line, and get the discounted price? I am planning to get the Storm when available.
    1) Order the storm using the non-primary line.
    2) Activate the storm on the non-primary line first which will extend your contract on that line (you won't be able to activate the Storm on your line until this is done).
    3) Use the online ESN changer and change the Storm to your line.
    11-12-08 07:06 PM
    Thanks. I have a 450 allowance, but 1/2 way through my month I'm already @ 650. If I change up to avoid the $200 in overage fee's I won't be able to go back and wanted to be sure everything would be ok.
    08-21-09 11:05 PM
    I had AC with 500. There is an unadvertised Nationwide loyalty plan which is essnetially my AC but now it is nationwide and they give you 550. But you have to call and ask for the switch.

But be warned. I am thinking about getting a line for my daughter and you may not be able to add a line to the Loyalty plan. So I may have to upgrade slightly.
    08-22-09 02:31 PM
    I had AC with 500. There is an unadvertised Nationwide loyalty plan which is essnetially my AC but now it is nationwide and they give you 550. But you have to call and ask for the switch.

But be warned. I am thinking about getting a line for my daughter and you may not be able to add a line to the Loyalty plan. So I may have to upgrade slightly.
    You can add to the 550, but just watch your minutes closely. Mosy people I've seen with the 550 and 3+ lines go voer.
    08-22-09 02:33 PM
    All new upgrades now require the Nationwide price plan.
    Since when?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 04:32 PM
    Since when?

As long as you go with a basic phone like knack you don't have to change to nationwide!
    08-22-09 04:39 PM
    Only phones that require nationwide are the dumb phones with the enhanced browser. Even though this thread is......from November, im backing up my original 9 month old thread.
    08-22-09 04:54 PM
    Since when?

i quit working for VZW in september 2008, and i believe it was like this before i left...so it's been awhile i'd guess
    08-22-09 08:05 PM
    i quit working for VZW in september 2008, and i believe it was like this before i left...so it's been awhile i'd guess
    No that's wrong.
    08-23-09 12:34 AM
    You can add to the 550, but just watch your minutes closely. Mosy people I've seen with the 550 and 3+ lines go voer.
    My wife only uses hers sparingly at best. I think my daughter will be texting mostly. And we told her if she wants to do that, she can pay the $5 per month to have the 250 texts on her line.
    08-23-09 08:18 AM
    Oh agreed. I'll set a security password and if necessary, monitor the text usage and then lock it out when she hits the limit. Or, she gets to pay for the text overage.

I am pretty much assuming I will up my minutes anyways, for business purposes...I just didn't want to have too many add-ons right off the bat....tougher with the WAF.
    08-23-09 10:04 AM
    Probably worth it to upgrade $5 more dollars and get the unlimited verizon-verizon and 500 out of network...because if you want to set a cap on her texting that program is $5/month anyways
    08-23-09 05:18 PM
    No that's wrong.
    well before i quit they had all of the current pricing that they offer in place, excluding some features/promotional stuff, it's all generally the same...and whenever a new pricing plan comes out, any upgrade/change to account would generally require you to change to current pricing...so if i'm wrong, then tell me when this was initiated...
    08-23-09 08:32 PM
    I just called customer service and they stated that I can retain my NW Loyalty plan and upgrade my phone to a Blackberry and add an enV 3 for my daughter. It's doable.
    09-03-09 11:25 AM
    awesome. doesn't mean they'll do it for everyone
    09-03-09 12:19 PM
    Probably worth it to upgrade $5 more dollars and get the unlimited verizon-verizon and 500 out of network...because if you want to set a cap on her texting that program is $5/month anyways
    Nah. Just confirmed with Customer Care that I can log into my account and temporarily block texting. We'll monitor together. I know she's honest about it. But it's the receipt of messages from friends which are the problem. This way, if we agree that she is at or approaching her limit, I'll temporarily put the lock on it until the billing period refreshes. Who knows, maybe she'll actually use the phone.
    09-03-09 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD