I tried asking on 2 other threads today, but it didn't get answered. This is probably the most appropriate forum though.

I've had a Pearl(TMobile) the last two years, and it's taken me all of the last month to decide between the Bold and the Storm. I think I'm going to ignore the "safe" pick, and go with the Storm...it's upside is higher, to borrow a basketball term.

So, I want to order from Amazon, because they have it for $150. Let's say I get a flaky Storm. Do I call Verizon to get a replacement? I would I have to go through a return with Amazon? Because once I activate, my number will be transferred, and my TMobile account cancelled. Or can I go to a VZW store and order one and wait for it to swap it out? Or any of the above?

Hopefully I can just get one through Verizon, phone order or a store, because I only have the one line of cell service, no land line, and don't want to be without a phone for days.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    12-17-08 06:50 PM
    If you get a bad one, you go though Amazon. To port in you number call VZW cs and they will start the port process. The storm will get an temp number. DO NOT cancel you other account until the port goes though.
    12-17-08 08:13 PM
    If you get a bad one, you go though Amazon. To port in you number call VZW cs and they will start the port process. The storm will get an temp number. DO NOT cancel you other account until the port goes though.
    Ugh, really??

That stinks, I was all ready to order one. Unless if it's bad they would send me a new Storm and then I send back the old one when I get that. But I'd MUCH rather just deal directly with Verizon at that point.

So are you sure that's the case?

Has anyone else ordered that way and had an issue?
    12-17-08 09:19 PM
    I have heard about issues with Amazon returns for the Bold in one case but it could be an isolated incident and it might be different for the storm. Who knows...
    12-17-08 09:28 PM
    AD-

Their return policy is pretty clear...I just don't know about exchange policy....get I get a new Storm(or Bold) easily?

What was the issue you heard about?
    12-17-08 09:35 PM
    Ugh, really??

That stinks, I was all ready to order one. Unless if it's bad they would send me a new Storm and then I send back the old one when I get that. But I'd MUCH rather just deal directly with Verizon at that point.

So are you sure that's the case?

Has anyone else ordered that way and had an issue?
    I am sure, being I work for VZW. If a device is not bought from a corporate store or authorized dealer, then VZW will not cover any warranty.
    12-17-08 09:36 PM
    Dealing with Amazon when it comes to cell phones can be a very mixed experience. IF everything goes right and the phone works perfectly it's great to get to get phones at the prices they offer. Their return process is a mess and so is their rebate system. (not carrier rebate but the amazon one they sometime offer) Personally I'd pay the $50 extra and go through verizon.
    12-17-08 09:39 PM
    lastraid-

So Amazon is not an authorized VZW dealer?

Thanks for the info.

quik-

That's what I'm kinda thinking now. I've never had a problem with their rebates, but I'm nervous about the return thing. If I go Amazon, I'll probably get the Bold.
    12-17-08 09:42 PM
    No they are not. Most of thedevices you see on their site do not come from Amazon. I bet they dealers that se Amazon as a conduit to market the product. Some of these dealers may or may not be authorized dealers. Even if they are you would need to contact them if there is a problem
    12-17-08 09:49 PM
    Wait....I just thought of this...literally about 4 seconds ago.

I have a Pearl now, through TMobile, and I bought the Pearl on Amazon. After about 8 months I had a problem with the speaker. I called TMobile, explained teh problem(speaker didn't work), and I was within my 1 year warranty, so they sent me a new one. I don't even think they asked me any questions about where I got it. When I got it, I activated and sent the old one back.

So why would this be different with the Storm/Verizon??
    12-17-08 10:08 PM
    OK, I'm not trying to doubt anyone here, but I'm getting conflicting information.

I just called my Verizon Wireless store and talked to someone about the Amazon thing. They said that if I had issues I could bring it to them to do the exchange/order a new one. I plan on going in there and talking to a manager to make sure though, just because of what lastraid has said...to make sure.
    12-18-08 11:51 AM
    A rep worth their weight will check they system. If they see the phone was not puchased from VZW, they should not replace it. I will not say this does not happen
    12-18-08 05:23 PM
    And I would check the agreement with the manufacturer. If VZW is an authorized RIM warranty dealer (they are), they just might have to.

And if the phone is branded Verizon and the person a VZW customer, why wouldn't they?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 05:58 PM
    I meant exchange, sorry. Amazon just wouldnt send him a replacement. Kept saying they would and his order status was pending for a long, long time although amazon said they'd ship it out soon.

AD-

Their return policy is pretty clear...I just don't know about exchange policy....get I get a new Storm(or Bold) easily?

What was the issue you heard about?
    BTW, check out the latest AT&T and BOLD thread I posted for good savings from AT&T itself. Why worry about third parties?? It'll cost you $50 more but give you peace of mind as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/sig...s-bold-118479/
    Last edited by ADberry; 12-18-08 at 06:02 PM.
    12-18-08 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD