Long story short guys, Verizon is letting me upgrade my phone free of charge. I currently have the BB Tour, overall solid phone but it just doesn't do it for me. I'm looking for more modern software, wifi, better camera and video, more apps ect... I am a BB fan so I was comtemplating going to storm 2 but I was a previous storm 1 owner and it was a disaster. I spent hours at verizon the other day playing with Storm 2, then the infamous DROID, Droid Eris, HTC imagio, Touch pro 2 and ofcourse the omnia 2... i do not care for the droid, I think its ugly and the keyboard is flat and don't like it, the droid eris i like better but call me crazy i'm not into the android OS against popular demand... touch pro 2, I do not like the touchflo3D on the phone + windows 6.1... the imagio was prob. my 2nd pick but also not a fan of the touchflo3d interface and i'm sure you can deactivate the but when i was comparing the virtual keyboard on that versus the O2 but i found the o2 that the keyboard is so much easier to type on and also the swype feature I could type incredibily fast on.. i love the amolded screen, I love the size of the screen, I love the virtual keyboard, i love the swype feature, I love the camera, I like the radio on it, I like the DIVX player, it had video editing and picture editing software, and after reading reviews the main concern people had what somewhat laggy.. but researching this on the omnia forums, you can adjust a few things in the registry and its becomes blazin' fast.. the O2 processor is very strong is seems like the RAM is what causes the factory lag..

all in all just wanted to get opinions on the OMNIA 2 and or if there's any takers out there... also what are you opinions on the other phones like the imagio, droid, ect
    Last edited by edhgreatone; 12-28-09 at 03:19 PM.
    12-28-09 03:03 PM
    The Omnia II has one of THE best screens out there.
    12-28-09 04:27 PM
    Yes, you are crazy. Gizmodo reviewed this device and called it a "disaster". I will post a link when I find it.

Link:

Samsung Omnia II Review - Samsung Omnia II - Gizmodo

I cant stand Windows Mobile, but hey, to each his own.
    12-28-09 05:44 PM
    Have to admit, in my own opinion, I would say you made a poor choice. Windows Mobile is fading in market share, and with that there will be fewer apps available in the future. Also, for me last week, the Omnia 2 was the most frequent phone customers called in for help with.

If you were determined to go with WinMo, I would've recommended the Imagio.
    Last edited by Doc_Havoc; 12-28-09 at 06:08 PM.
    12-28-09 06:04 PM
    I wouldn't call you crazy, as you got, one of, if not the most capable WinMo phone out right now. If you prefer the UI of the Omnia 2 over the others, then there is no reason you shouldn't be happy with your decision...
    12-28-09 07:19 PM
    Have to admit, in my own opinion, I would say you made a poor choice. Windows Mobile is fading in market share, and with that there will be fewer apps available in the future. Also, for me last week, the Omnia 2 was the most frequent phone customers called in for help with.

If you were determined to go with WinMo, I would've recommended the Imagio.
    yeah people have the WinMO idea that it's going out, I can almost assure you that it will never fade out and i've read it will be upgradeable to windows mobile 7 when that is released a company thats been around so long such as windows i do not see going anywhere....

I do understand customers calling in for help with the device samsung has covered up windows 6.5 pretty well and to adjust things it can be confusing... but nothing that any above average intelligence person can't figure out
    12-29-09 08:43 AM
    Yes, you are crazy. Gizmodo reviewed this device and called it a "disaster". I will post a link when I find it.

Link:

Samsung Omnia II Review - Samsung Omnia II - Gizmodo

I cant stand Windows Mobile, but hey, to each his own.
    I could find a bad review on any phone in the world...

Samsung Omnia II i8000 - Review
    -gives the phone a great review...

I have the 30-day window trial i'm thinking if this doesn't work out may lean toward imagio or the droid eris and update to 2.0 software... we'll see phone doesn't come in until wednesday
    12-29-09 08:48 AM
    can I ask you guys honestly whats against WinMo? Ppl say the same thing about windows vista, yet it works perfect for me... Before converting to BB I always had windows phones... I love the way it syncs right up with windows mobile on your computer, windows media player sync's song/pictures ect, micrsoft outlook, calender contact, ect. and there's isn't a delay like having to load BB desktop manager or anything...

just some misc. things this has over my current BB Tour:
    -wifi
    -HUGE amolded screen
    -800mhz processor
    -8gb internal memory storage
    -DIVX player with video/picture editing software
    -FM radio
    -touch screen - accellerometer
    -5.0 MP camera
    -swype typing technology
    -widgets

... for those of you that bash this phone i respect your opinion but can you please give more details why other then... "WinMO" .... I think this forum even though its a BB forum that its not as biased as you would expect, so just more reasons why to go or not to go with the omnia 2 and what phone YOU would get! thanks CB
    12-29-09 08:57 AM
    yeah people have the WinMO idea that it's going out, I can almost assure you that it will never fade out and i've read it will be upgradeable to windows mobile 7 when that is released a company thats been around so long such as windows i do not see going anywhere....

I do understand customers calling in for help with the device samsung has covered up windows 6.5 pretty well and to adjust things it can be confusing... but nothing that any above average intelligence person can't figure out
    I wish I could find the article that I read a couple of weeks ago, got the link from Digg. It was about phone OS market share.

According to that article's numbers, the iPhone has passed the WinMo installed base. Which makes WinMo #3 for installed base. A problem for WinMo now, is Android. It's open source, very popular and is getting new developers who are sick of Apple's Vanna-spin-the-wheel-let's-see-how-app-approval-is-going-to-run-today process.

Another problem for WinMo, this one being long-standing, is poor reputation. Windows CE was so bad, and earned such a poor reputation, they changed the name to Windows Mobile when they revamped the code and UI. Most long-time smartphone users (in my experience talking with others, ymmv) get three reactions when you mention a Windows based phone. Clunky interface. Glitchy apps. Unreliable OS.

Not to say that WinMo 6.5 isn't good. It is good. It just looks like it was a couple of years too late to save WinMo from being more than a niche player at this point.

I do feel your pain though. I've been a Palm user since the Kyocera 7135s.
    12-29-09 09:34 AM
    I hope this thread continues. My ATT contract ends today and I will be switching to VZW. I am seriously considering a non-BB smartphone and the Omnia2 seems to be the only option.
    12-29-09 09:50 AM
    I wish I could find the article that I read a couple of weeks ago, got the link from Digg. It was about phone OS market share.

According to that article's numbers, the iPhone has passed the WinMo installed base. Which makes WinMo #3 for installed base. A problem for WinMo now, is Android. It's open source, very popular and is getting new developers who are sick of Apple's Vanna-spin-the-wheel-let's-see-how-app-approval-is-going-to-run-today process.

Another problem for WinMo, this one being long-standing, is poor reputation. Windows CE was so bad, and earned such a poor reputation, they changed the name to Windows Mobile when they revamped the code and UI. Most long-time smartphone users (in my experience talking with others, ymmv) get three reactions when you mention a Windows based phone. Clunky interface. Glitchy apps. Unreliable OS.

Not to say that WinMo 6.5 isn't good. It is good. It just looks like it was a couple of years too late to save WinMo from being more than a niche player at this point.

I do feel your pain though. I've been a Palm user since the Kyocera 7135s.
    thank you, well explained... the cool thing is with the omnia 2 though that if your really that hung up about WinMo that Android software is almost 100% rolled out... and not something that runs on top of WinMo a complete Android OS on the omnia 2... but I've never ran into problems with winmo nor did I playing around with it at the store, given can't take store exerpeince into the true capabilities of the phone but I know within the first 10 mintues wether or not I could get used to the phone, the droid instant no, the driod eris possibly, the HTC imagio another possibly but all around samsung omnia 2 liked the most... we'll see how it plays out with i've got the necessary tweaks and adjustments on it worst comes to worse, exchange it with the 30 day thing...

what phone though would be of you choice other than BB for a smart phone...?
    12-29-09 01:09 PM
    I'd go Android, or possibly the Palm Pre if it ever makes it over to Verizon. Of course MOST likely I will stick with the berry.
    12-29-09 01:31 PM
    I'd go Android, or possibly the Palm Pre if it ever makes it over to Verizon. Of course MOST likely I will stick with the berry.
    main reason why not going android not necessarily the OS more so the phone that are offered... the droid don't like the bulky keyboard, the weight, or the feel of the phone... then one would say okay go ERIS, okay, not worried about the processor slightly slower but I am worried about 5.0 MP camera without a flash?! I honestly use my flash everyday on my tour and when i'm recording videos I alaws use it, I enjoy making small films and movies with windows movie maker and I cuold not live without a flash....

... so here I am back at the imagio and the O2... I like the imagio's 288 ram over O2 128 but I like the look, screen, typing and feel of the O2 better a tough call if you ask me,

well just realized imagio do NOT have a flash camera either... well looks like against popular demand the OMNIA 2 is it for me... if this OMNIA 2 doesn't work i hoesntly may attempt storm 2 or go to droid....
    Last edited by edhgreatone; 12-29-09 at 03:28 PM.
    12-29-09 03:21 PM
    I hate the Droid keyboard. Worst physical keyboard I've seen on a top-end smartphone in years. I do like the heft and solid feel of the phone over all though. But that keyboard is so bad, it's a dealbreaker for me.
    12-29-09 11:31 PM
    I think the reputation of Windows Mobile is almost as much of a challenge for it as some of the other platforms. WinMo is seen as a convoluted, boring, business operating system. Its made plenty of strides since WinMo 5, but still carries its reputation... And lackluster phone models like the Q series didn't help it either...

I personally am enjoying Android because of how much you can customize the phone. It seems that if you have an issue with part of the operating system, you can modify it so it suits your needs... Though, for a lot of it, you need to root your phone...
    12-30-09 12:00 AM
    Expect to see it Q1.
    12-30-09 12:09 AM
    I hate the Droid keyboard. Worst physical keyboard I've seen on a top-end smartphone in years. I do like the heft and solid feel of the phone over all though. But that keyboard is so bad, it's a dealbreaker for me.
    yeah i'd really consider the droid if it didn't have that keyboard... i need a flash camera! I really like the idea of a a physical keyboard on the device but motorola made it too bulky and the design is embarassing, imagine sitting that phone down on a table, had someone not know what its capable of i'd be somewhat embarassed by the looks of it...
    12-30-09 09:04 AM
    I think the reputation of Windows Mobile is almost as much of a challenge for it as some of the other platforms. WinMo is seen as a convoluted, boring, business operating system. Its made plenty of strides since WinMo 5, but still carries its reputation... And lackluster phone models like the Q series didn't help it either...

I personally am enjoying Android because of how much you can customize the phone. It seems that if you have an issue with part of the operating system, you can modify it so it suits your needs... Though, for a lot of it, you need to root your phone...
    oh come on, the orginal silver motorola Q! This was like a legendary phone, well for me atleast. I loved the orginal windows it had and the crappy camera lol I had this phone for almost a year... but I was loyal to the motorola brand, like going way back with the non color motorola flip phone then to the motorola razor, then to the motorola q, then i convereted to BB.. but i do like motorola a little surprised at how they designed the droid considering most of there other phones were all show and no go... boy did the tables turn
    12-30-09 09:08 AM
    Expect to see it Q1.
    Palm Pre: everything you ever wanted to know -- Engadget

wow i'm sorry for ever making fun of these phones... this one dosen't look bad AT ALL...

any other phones to expect in Q1 for verizon next year? I never know where to find that information? Prob the Tour 2 right?

SIDE NOTE: as much as I hate to admit it, I played with the girlfriends iPhone for about an hour last night wifi connected... browsing, typing, the screen, everything is like WOW... and the funny thing is even without wifi, testing the browser b/w the iphone and BB tour using the crackberry.com webiste as a test, the iphone won every time not by like a sec. or 2 i'm talking 5 sec. or MORE and then even with the OPERA mini browser still +3 sec..... other phones has better camera, better processors, more ram ect. but still can't keep up with this phone??? what is it? apple's OS?? I think if apple can perfect there mobile OS then Windows 7 mobile will be no joke, but Windows out of all people knows that maybe right now its not there money maker BUT it absolutely will be in the future when computers/laptops/camera/gps/ ect. all combine into a mobile device like they've been doing, there going to have to put a little Research and Development into this area bc Windows isn't going anywhere IMO.... a true windows fan has spoken, lol.
    Last edited by edhgreatone; 12-30-09 at 09:34 AM.
    12-30-09 09:22 AM
    Indeed. To be honest, that's what most of the calls about the device are. Very few "issues", but a heck of a lot of interface questions. Samsung made most of the original Windows Mobile menu settings impossible to find. (Or at least I haven't found 'em yet.) Thankfully, Samsung's menu system covers most of it, but there's a few missing that I'd like to be able to tweak.

I have one myself, so I've been digging to try and figure ways around those settings, but I haven't managed all of 'em. I'm hoping Samsung will allow this interface to be toggled on/off in a future software release. The interface/launcher is nice enough, and works well for the most part, but I do want a little more control over what comes out of Samsung and what comes out of Windows. :P

SIDE NOTE: as much as I hate to admit it, I played with the girlfriends iPhone for about an hour last night wifi connected... browsing, typing, the screen, everything is like WOW... and the funny thing is even without wifi, testing the browser b/w the iphone and BB tour using the crackberry.com webiste as a test, the iphone won every time not by like a sec. or 2 i'm talking 5 sec. or MORE and then even with the OPERA mini browser still +3 sec..... other phones has better camera, better processors, more ram ect. but still can't keep up with this phone??? what is it? apple's OS?? I think if apple can perfect there mobile OS then Windows 7 mobile will be no joke, but Windows out of all people knows that maybe right now its not there money maker BUT it absolutely will be in the future when computers/laptops/camera/gps/ ect. all combine into a mobile device like they've been doing, there going to have to put a little Research and Development into this area bc Windows isn't going anywhere IMO.... a true windows fan has spoken, lol.
    1. More cached content on browser.
    2. No multitasking. (All system resources except basic phone disabled while running browser.)
    3. Fancy transitions and flick-scrolling cover up bumps in speed or catches while loading or switching programs.

If you're trying to make your device "look" faster:

1. Don't use Opera Mobile in a browser-speed contest. I'm not kidding. Opera is built for "slow and steady loads the page prettier", NOT speed. New IE on WM 6.5 runs pretty fast, though granted does not run on blackberries for obvious reasons. Skyfire may be considered outright cheating, but I won't tell if you won't.
    2. Close programs you are not using, even the basic stuff. Multitasking exists for a reason, but showing off your superfast-browser is not one of 'em. If you're trying to even the playing field, make sure your ginormous calendar isn't open, make sure you don't have email open with your 10k messages, etc... However, if your intention is "Look at all the stuff I can do at the same time!", go nuts and leave it all open.
    3. Leave Calendar in week or month view. That one "view everything at once" view is a processing nightmare, especially on blackberries.
    4. Delete old emails and text messages that you do not need. Especially on a blackberry, which is the packrat of PDAs, these will slow it down significantly.

For what its worth, I've found my Omnia 2 loads and flicks around very fast, making my 'ol HP 210 look like a sloth wearing lead boots. Webpage loading is a breeze, and the new Pocket IE has a few nice new touches in how it renders that make it very easy to read text from a fancier page on a portable screen. However, it is slower at loading the really-huge-Word-File I'm always working on. It seems either Microsoft or Samsung has devoted more resources to the web experience.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 12-30-09 at 06:32 PM.
    12-30-09 05:55 PM
    I'm on my brothers moto droid and I will say this wifi browser is super fast gonna be hard to put this down

Indeed. To be honest, that's what most of the calls about the device are. Very few "issues", but a heck of a lot of interface questions. Samsung made most of the original Windows Mobile menu settings impossible to find. (Or at least I haven't found 'em yet.) Thankfully, Samsung's menu system covers most of it, but there's a few missing that I'd like to be able to tweak.

I have one myself, so I've been digging to try and figure ways around those settings, but I haven't managed all of 'em. I'm hoping Samsung will allow this interface to be toggled on/off in a future software release. The interface/launcher is nice enough, and works well for the most part, but I do want a little more control over what comes out of Samsung and what comes out of Windows. :P

1. More cached content on browser.
    2. No multitasking. (All system resources except basic phone disabled while running browser.)
    3. Fancy transitions and flick-scrolling cover up bumps in speed or catches while loading or switching programs.

If you're trying to make your device "look" faster:

1. Don't use Opera Mobile in a browser-speed contest. I'm not kidding. Opera is built for "slow and steady loads the page prettier", NOT speed. New IE on WM 6.5 runs pretty fast, though granted does not run on blackberries for obvious reasons. Skyfire may be considered outright cheating, but I won't tell if you won't.
    2. Close programs you are not using, even the basic stuff. Multitasking exists for a reason, but showing off your superfast-browser is not one of 'em. If you're trying to even the playing field, make sure your ginormous calendar isn't open, make sure you don't have email open with your 10k messages, etc... However, if your intention is "Look at all the stuff I can do at the same time!", go nuts and leave it all open.
    3. Leave Calendar in week or month view. That one "view everything at once" view is a processing nightmare, especially on blackberries.
    4. Delete old emails and text messages that you do not need. Especially on a blackberry, which is the packrat of PDAs, these will slow it down significantly.

For what its worth, I've found my Omnia 2 loads and flicks around very fast, making my 'ol HP 210 look like a sloth wearing lead boots. Webpage loading is a breeze, and the new Pocket IE has a few nice new touches in how it renders that make it very easy to read text from a fancier page on a portable screen. However, it is slower at loading the really-huge-Word-File I'm always working on. It seems either Microsoft or Samsung has devoted more resources to the web experience.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 07:22 PM
    The droids are also pretty good.

What people need to keep in mind is although Apple may have triggered a PDA revival (after Palm went into Treo-only mode, people were hurting for a nice large-screen PDA), everybody else has had three years of catch-up time. This is one of those nice examples of a situation in which competition breeds lots of cool stuff for us consumers to choose from.
    12-31-09 02:16 AM
    I'm on my brothers moto droid and I will say this wifi browser is super fast gonna be hard to put this down
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    To be honest, I thought I would never get used to the Droid's keyboard. When I first handled it, I thought it was going to be the end of my texting days. The keyboard is WAY to far off center for my liking, and the keys are pretty much too flat to text without looking at it...

But quite literally after just a couple of weeks with it, I found myself being able to tap out messages quite efficiently. Of course I can't type with the speed or precision as I could with the Tour, but I'm willing to give that up for everything else the Droid offers...

If the Omnia II seems to be your preference then you should definitely take it as its a very capable phone...
    12-31-09 08:53 AM
    What's REALLY cool about the Pre is it can cut the cheese!

12-31-09 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD