I went into a Verizon store about 20 days ago interested in the Storm and porting over from Alltel to Verizon. I live in Dallas and have a Missouri based number. The rep talked to me and said I should do a "test drive" to see if I like the service and if so I can switch if not return the phone and pay for the service I used and walk away.
    Last night I decided I would port my service and keep the storm...I go to Verizon expecting to spend 30 minutes and be out of there. Even if they can't port the number since its a Missouri number and Verizon doesn't have service there, I figured they could close out the other acct and give me a new phone number (the temp number I've used for the past 20 days is fine). Well, after 2 hours of standing around, they come back and say there is no way they can do anything for me. I can either pay the ETF through Alltel or give the phone back and wait 2.5 more months and come back into Verizon and get an acct from scratch They said that since all the overlapping markets were sold off, there is no way to port a number from Alltel to Verizon anymore. The guy said he would have his manager call me today but that he didn't know of any way for me to get out of my contract. WTF happened in the past 20 days? When I went in it wasn't going to be a problem. According to the rep I talked to last night in order to port, Verizon gives a number to Alltel, and Alltel gives a number to Verizon but they have to be in the same market to make this happen. Thats the problem.. They don't share any markets anymore...any help would be appreciated...just getting a little frustrated....
    03-28-09 01:49 PM
    You should not have any problem porting your number if you wanted to. However, if you are not within 3 months of the end of your contract with alltell you would have to pay the ETF. Alltell customers are no completely merged yet.

They can start your port process over the phone if you do not want to go into a store.
    03-28-09 01:55 PM
    I'm within the 3 months but according to Verizon i'm not a portable number...thats what the whole situation is about i mentioned in the thread...
    03-28-09 02:00 PM
    Actually, Alltel is honoring the Verizon 4 month early renewal which is even better than 3. :-). Latest word is that the billing systems will be finalized and converted over to Verizon with the September statments. Please feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 02:02 PM
    Verizon does have service in Missouri. I've been with Verizon since they bought out Cellular One and I've lived in Missouri the whole time. I would say that was not what the problem was.
    03-28-09 02:06 PM
    I'm within the 3 months but according to Verizon i'm not a portable number...thats what the whole situation is about i mentioned in the thread...
    Your number might be divested. If that is true then you are correct.

You can check your # here: LNP - Local Number Portability
    03-28-09 02:07 PM
    Please read the thread. I know the policy on 4 months until end of contract. I know Verizon doesn't have service in Missourri. I need to know if there is anyway to get around the "rules of porting" where the 2 companies exchange numbers in the same market. That is the whole problem. We were going to have my number changed to a different market and port that way but again, we came up with the problem that none of the verizon markets overlap the alltel markets and vice versa since the merger.
    03-28-09 02:46 PM
    Like the pervoius person said seems like your number may still be a alltel only number. Verizon is still in the process of mergering with alltel so alltel is still there own company. Not all the numbers are portable and the merger is more likely to be completed 3rd to 4th quarter. so thats like november december time. My best advise would be getting a new number if you really want to move over if not it may be a while before your number can be moved over.
    03-29-09 01:21 AM
    Not all Alltel customers are going to be Verizon customers.
    Due to monopoly laws some Alltel numbers and towers will be sold off to
    other companies. So that makes the porting process a bit complicated.
    It sounds like your number is one of those numbers being sold off.
    If your are not technically out of contract with Alltel yet I'm not sure
    what you can do.
    My bf has Alltel but I found out his number is not one that will be kept
    by Verizon, so we are waiting to see who will be getting his number before
    he figures out what he will do with his line.
    03-29-09 04:22 AM
    Also keep in mind that the areas being divested areas that VZW already has coverage (as explained to me by a very high ranking VZW person). Not 100% sure that or how this affects Alltel numbers. They should be able to brought over VZW, but we as VZW employees cannot proactively offer or persue it, not if the customer brings it up, thats another story.

VZW employees have a tool that will tell us if it can be ported or not.
    03-29-09 09:27 AM
    I went into a Verizon store about 20 days ago interested in the Storm and porting over from Alltel to Verizon. I live in Dallas and have a Missouri based number. The rep talked to me and said I should do a "test drive" to see if I like the service and if so I can switch if not return the phone and pay for the service I used and walk away.
    Last night I decided I would port my service and keep the storm...I go to Verizon expecting to spend 30 minutes and be out of there. Even if they can't port the number since its a Missouri number and Verizon doesn't have service there, I figured they could close out the other acct and give me a new phone number (the temp number I've used for the past 20 days is fine). Well, after 2 hours of standing around, they come back and say there is no way they can do anything for me. I can either pay the ETF through Alltel or give the phone back and wait 2.5 more months and come back into Verizon and get an acct from scratch They said that since all the overlapping markets were sold off, there is no way to port a number from Alltel to Verizon anymore. The guy said he would have his manager call me today but that he didn't know of any way for me to get out of my contract. WTF happened in the past 20 days? When I went in it wasn't going to be a problem. According to the rep I talked to last night in order to port, Verizon gives a number to Alltel, and Alltel gives a number to Verizon but they have to be in the same market to make this happen. Thats the problem.. They don't share any markets anymore...any help would be appreciated...just getting a little frustrated....
    The reason the port couldn't be completed is because Verizon Wireless doesn't have service in the area where your number originated. Local number portability only works when Verizon offers service in the area where the number originated. I have experience with this kind of thing since the there is a regional carrier just south of the city in which I live and work. We can't port any of the local numbers from within that area since Verizon Wireless does not have service in that area. That area is on Verizon's extended network, but Verizon doesn't have any Verizon-owned towers there.

The Verizon rep that helped you could have used the Local Number Portability tool to verify that your number could have been ported before starting the whole transaction. I apologize that they did not do that.

Hope that helps you understand why.
    03-29-09 11:23 AM
    I am having a similar problem. Verizon says there is no service in my area and I know that I will be a Verizon customer in a little over 3 weeks. If my number is not portable now will it be by July 11th witch is supposed to be my change over date. Its really frustrating because I want to move over and want to keep my numbers.
    06-20-09 04:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD