Hi, new to the forums and I'm not entirely certain where to post this - if it's in the wrong spot I'm sorry!
    I'm being switched to Verizon from AllTel Oct 17th and have two questions:
    My 8130 is an AllTel phone - after the 17th do I continue using AllTel's OS or do I need to get Verizon's version?
    Secondly, as I'm wanting the S2, how would NE2 work going from an AllTel plan to Verizon? My 20 months are up in January and my plan is $89/month which is voice and data included. I pay an additional $20 for my wife's phone which is not a smartphone (LG-AX565). I did visit a store, where a Verizon rep explained that we'd continue on our AllTel plan until we upgraded phones, at which point we'd be getting Verizon phones on a Verizon plan with savings according to a 1- or 2-year agreement. He wasn't certain on the early upgrade fee but did say it could be done. Do we qualify for an additional amount on top of a 2-year agreement, or am I reading things wrong?
    Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 07:26 PM
    When you upgrade phones you will be able to keep your Alltel plan if you so choose and get VZW phones at the contract and NE2 price. The reps. are trying to push VZW plans because they don't make anything on just the phone, I believe.
    10-14-09 09:44 PM
    Hi, new to the forums and I'm not entirely certain where to post this - if it's in the wrong spot I'm sorry!
    My 8130 is an AllTel phone - after the 17th do I continue using AllTel's OS or do I need to get Verizon's version?
    Secondly, as I'm wanting the S2, how would NE2 work going from an AllTel plan to Verizon? My 20 months are up in January and my plan is $89/month which is voice and data included. I pay an additional $20 for my wife's phone which is not a smartphone (LG-AX565). I did visit a store, where a Verizon rep explained that we'd continue on our AllTel plan until we upgraded phones, at which point we'd be getting Verizon phones on a Verizon plan with savings according to a 1- or 2-year agreement. He wasn't certain on the early upgrade fee but did say it could be done. Do we qualify for an additional amount on top of a 2-year agreement, or am I reading things wrong?
    Thanks in advance!

No you do not use VZW updates for your OS - although it really doesn't make that much difference anyway. Still continue to use Alltel.

Your NE2 will be $30-50 most likely for the primary line only. This is just from what I've seen on other accounts with your situation.
    10-14-09 09:45 PM
    When you upgrade phones you will be able to keep your Alltel plan if you so choose and get VZW phones at the contract and NE2 price. The reps. are trying to push VZW plans because they don't make anything on just the phone, I believe.
    Right! They make their commission on the plan itself and not the features.
    10-14-09 09:46 PM
    Thanks in advance!

as far as your OS is concerned, you've never been bound to a carrier in so far as choosing the most recent OS for your specific device. personally, i'm running a 5.0.0.230/.238 on an Alltel branded 8330, the most recent official OS from any carrier world-wide for the 8330 that i have found is 4.5.0.170, but i'm not having any problems with an unofficial OS on the VZW network. if you want to get the official OS from vzw for your 8130, you will have to delete the "vendor.xml" file listed in crogram files/common files/ResearchInMotion/AppLoader and then any carrier's 8130 OS will load on your device. the splash screen will always say alltel, it will never say vzw no matter whose OS you run. my phone says i'm using the alltel network, but since it's actually VZW now and they OWN the network, alltel towers are now VZW towers and any updates to the prl etc apply to all devices on said network.

when i was switched this summer during the southeast conversion, i was having problems sending and receiving text messages as the result of an input error when vzw transferred my alltl account to their system. i called multiple vzw csr's and they were never able to help me, "because it was an alltel account", but that's a cop-out. so i called someone i know on the inside at vzw and they made a single phone call and within 5 mins my problem was solved, even though "it's an alltel account". this experience leads me to believe that vzw simply wants to replace the alltel brand on any devices that are now on their network, you know, run me around until i get tired of limited services because of their own error and just get a vzw device. i won't lie, my almost two year old 8330 needs to be updated, but i'm holding out for a real upgrade, not just jumping in the pool so i can have a vzw branded phone. but you're going to have to do what's right for you.
    10-14-09 11:41 PM
    Thanks for the feedback all! Wish I'd found this site earlier! =)
    Good to know I don't need to worry about replacing my 8130 after this weekend; I was worried there might be some carrier conversion issues and incompatibility with the handset on a different carrier's OS, and not being able to get AllTel's newest OS for my phone again :O My wife has no problem with her phone, I on the other hand have been having data issues for the last 3 months, and there was one incident where I'd shut my phone off for 3 hours in frustration and no one realized it was off - every caller said it rang normal before going to VM. Backed up, wiped handset, and reinstalled later that night...
    And definite plus on being able to keep our plan - that's my wife's biggest gripe, having to pay more with Verizon vs AllTel. If i'm upgrading, it'll be the S2 in January for me, and upon seeing that mayhap I can make a convert outta her eventually.
    Again, many thanks =)

P.S.: Does anyone else hold down shift while typing numbers on a 105-key PC keyboard or is that just me?
    10-15-09 03:40 AM
    I was on Alltel with a Motorola V3a (Razr) in North Carolina (off contract, I've had it over two years). It was changed to Verizon a couple of months ago. If I want to upgrade my phone, I have to go to a Verizon call plan (same cost, less minutes). If I want to change my plan, I have to buy a Verizon phone.

I just moved to California, but my cell number is still a NC number, as Verizon says they can't change the number to a local number unless I get a Verizon phone and plan (and a two year comitment, of course). Real nice - NOT!
    10-15-09 04:39 PM
    For some clarification here...

In order to be on a VZW plan you must be on a VZW device. You can keep your current Alltel plan and change it(vertically not horizontally, i.e going from say National Freedom to Smart Choice Plan is not available but going from SCP 500 to SCP 1200 is available).

Some VZW stores cannot help you, it really just depends what store you call/go into. The stores that HAVE BEEN VZW will be less likely to help you if you are still on a Alltel plan compared to the ones that are recently converted with former Alltel employees.

We make commission on the plan and the features that go with the plan. We get a better commission from a total package then having you come back in later and add data to your plan. Therefore it is more beneficial for us to get you into the complete package you will need, money wise as well as fulfilling the needs of the customer.

Genomos: Depending where you are I know certain areas were having network issues, that has nothing to do with your phone itself, in my area I we had a HUGE influx of customers come in stating people couldnt hear them, they couldnt hear people, texts werent sending/receiving, cell lines were getting crossed etc. So it more then likely wasnt your phone.

As far as the NE2 you SHOULD get the amount based on your rate plan, which 79.99+ is 50$ if I am remembering correctly.

I believe you should be able to switch to a local number without upgrading to VZW plan/device and without renewing any contract. I am not 100% sure on that however as my store doesnt convert untill Sunday and I have not had this question asked before.

Also regarding the early upgrade if you are at 4months to 12months left in your contract on Alltel and VZW there is a $20 fee to upgrade early. At 12months to 24months left you cannot do an early upgrade.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject/questions.
    10-15-09 08:08 PM
    I just moved to California, but my cell number is still a NC number, as Verizon says they can't change the number to a local number unless I get a Verizon phone and plan (and a two year comitment, of course). Real nice - NOT!
    This is because Alltel does not have any available line ranges where you live. If you switch to a VZW number, then your data and other services will not work. So in order to switch you have to go to VZW equipment.
    10-15-09 09:10 PM
    How do I get a rep to upgrade me to a VZ phone (lets just say S2 when it comes out, LOL) and let me stay on my Alltel contract? Do I just keep going into different VZ stores until I find a CSR that will admit it can be done? So far they have all told me I have to get a VZ plan! Would I have better luck if (after the conversion, of course) I just call VZ customer service and buy/upgrade through them rather than in the store? I really like my Alltel contract and I really, really don't want to have to get new phones for all three of my lines right now.
    10-15-09 09:26 PM
    You don't need a VZW plan by any means...

...But I would suggest you get one...
    10-16-09 12:40 AM
    How do I get a rep to upgrade me to a VZ phone (lets just say S2 when it comes out, LOL) and let me stay on my Alltel contract? Do I just keep going into different VZ stores until I find a CSR that will admit it can be done? So far they have all told me I have to get a VZ plan! Would I have better luck if (after the conversion, of course) I just call VZ customer service and buy/upgrade through them rather than in the store? I really like my Alltel contract and I really, really don't want to have to get new phones for all three of my lines right now.
    It could be done, but the problem is that most of your company specific aps and functions will not work and with roughly 3/4 of the data phones, the data on "Alltel's" side does not work on "Verizon's" side. You also run into the problem of MOU versus MB usage with certain phones switching them onto a Alltel plan which could cost you in the long run. Therefor the policy is to just NOT do it across the board instead of taking the risk that something wont work properly or having an extremely high bill.
    10-16-09 12:41 AM
    It could be done, but the problem is that most of your company specific aps and functions will not work and with roughly 3/4 of the data phones, the data on "Alltel's" side does not work on "Verizon's" side. You also run into the problem of MOU versus MB usage with certain phones switching them onto a Alltel plan which could cost you in the long run. Therefor the policy is to just NOT do it across the board instead of taking the risk that something wont work properly or having an extremely high bill.

Not only can it but done but its very common to see a converted Alltel plan with a Verizon phone on it.
    While you're supposed to encourage Alltel customers wanting a VZW phone to switch to a Verizon plan... In no way are you supposed to tell the customer that it can't be done.
    As for the apps... Pretty much all the Verizon proprietary apps won't work if you have a Verizon phone with an Alltel plan. Things like VZ Navigator, Visual Voicemail and VZTones and such will not work... But beyond that data, for the most part works just fine (though there is still no guarantee it will work so some reps may abuse the ability to say that data is not a guarantee).

This is because Alltel does not have any available line ranges where you live. If you switch to a VZW number, then your data and other services will not work. So in order to switch you have to go to VZW equipment.
    This is actually really important... A lot of Alltel customers were looking forward to changing their numbers to Verizon numbers once the conversion occured... Unfortunately, as tsguy stated, this can't happen with out messing things up. Fortunately the ability to change someones number from an Alltel number to a Verizon number without switching to a Verizon plan is blocked, so the stupid reps who don't pay attention don't f-ck sh-t up...
    10-16-09 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD