I have been an Alltel customer for about 10 years and a BB user since August 08. Now of course I'm an BB addict! As the complete merger of Alltel and Verizon gets closer, I'm trying to get some feedback on differences, better or worse with the 2 carriers to decide if I want to change. I've asked quite a few Alltel reps and they won't say much. Maybe they don't know. I had one tell me the other day that Verizon is the only carrier that makes changes to the Berry's to make their processor slower so that their network won't get overloaded. Sounds fishy to me, but I don't know much about the technology. I've been very satisfied with Alltel, but that doesn't matter much now.
    I guess I'm considering ATT or Sprint, but their phone service is not that great in my area, nor is the 3G. Very interested in the 9630 too.
    I appreciate any info you can provide.
    04-07-09 08:31 AM
    I had sprint for about 9 years prior to swapping to verizon last year and getting my berry. I had a 3g smartphone (non-berry) before moving and when I moved there wasn't really any change. Service for phone was equally good, "3g" service was actually a good bit faster in my area, the only real big difference, is I pay more monthly, for less minutes with verizon; so yeah, being more expensive sucks.....
    04-07-09 08:43 AM
    im in the same boat as you (i too am with alltel). from what i have seen the plans are more expensive and if you are on a family plan (like me) and have a teenager (like me) the 7pm nights and weekends is a BIG plus but, Verizon does not offer this. i would suggest renewing your alltel contract so that you are locked into a certian rate and phone features (ie. 7pm start) and test the verizon network in your area while still paying alltel rates. if you like it stay, if not once your contract is up, bail out. Thats my plan.
    04-07-09 09:15 AM
    I'm with you on the family thing. And the teenager thing! I have 3 phones and all 3 under different renewals but same family plan. My BB is the longest at August 2010. I wasn't sure if they had to honor the current contract rates after the switch. I was also told that if they changed rates, I have 30 days to change or whatever. With the my circle, it's hard to beat the rates of Alltel. I think the coverage will be the same or better, but higher rates stinks as someone has already stated. I have 1 phone that could renew in June, so if that locks in rates for the whole plan, it may be the way to go. On the other hand, if I don't like Verizon, I'm locked in for another 2 years.
    I'm afraid with only 3 really major carriers, rates are going to be pretty much fixed and you pay what they want because there are no other choices.
    04-07-09 09:39 AM
    they do have to honor the contract after the switch. i hear they are gonna try to entice people to drop alltel plans and move over to verizon plans. If they do decide to just get rid of all alltel plans that would be breach of contract and you would be free to go where ever you want. the big thing is (for me) Att is the only other service provider i would go with. i have had sprint before and it was the worst customer service i ever had so i pretty much blacklisted them. the only good thing i see with verizon is that our service should not change as far as coverage.
    04-07-09 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD