07-12-09 01:59 PM
40 12
tools
    Alltel customer service, and service in general, was top-flight, when compared to other carriers - many times tying VZW for honors and almost always blowing away Sprint & AT&T. The loss of Alltel was not something beneficial to the cell phone customer base, as it was a loss of a good competitor. So we don't need attacks on Alltel or discussions of which carrier was better. We can touch on what happened & go from there.

Alltel was purchased by VZW because Alltel saw the deal as beneficial for their shareholders. VZW bought Alltel because they felt it was beneficial to their service, their bottom line & their shareholders. The reason all of this went through is Alltel saw they could no longer compete in a manner they felt was keeping with their reputation. Synergies of equipment, areas & customer base made the transaction easier.

Now, what does this mean to the Alltel customer? Plusses & minuses dot my list, but mostly it is positive.

Pros:
    1) Larger coverage area.
    2) Larger & more stable company.
    3) Great customer service, compared with carriers in general.
    4) Same basic technology.
    5) More services.
    6) 4G in the wings.
    7) No coverage loss.
    8) 87.6 million customers to call with no minutes charged.

Cons:
    1) Price, for some customers.
    2) Uglier 8330.

Say what you will, but it has been established that Alltel customers will be allowed to maintain their current price plans as long as they don't want to change. If they want to move up or down in minutes, a change will be needed, but if no change is made, the same plan will remain.

What it all boils down to is all positives for Alltel subscribers unless they want to change plans. No one is forcing them to change plans.

Since those whining are too low on the financial chain to have owned a controlling interest in Alltel, they really don't have any valid complaints. Those who were high enough on the food chain to have had controlling interest liked the idea, as did the majority of all stockholders with voting rights.

It could have been Sprint or AT&T that bought Alltel. The reality is that Alltel initiated the merger discussions. Verizon did not pull off a hostile takeover. With this in mind, VZW can actually be seen as the knight in shining armor, not the bad guy.

VZW has not entered into any hostile takeovers, leveraged buyouts or negotiations involving guns & torture.

If you want to whine, feel free to switch. There are other carriers who would love to have you and even if you have to pay the full-boat ETF, it is less than the therapist would cost to deal with your irrational anger.

Slow down - smile. There are rumors Sprint may be searching for a suitor, especially after the latest financial reports. So you may not be the last of the complainers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Thanks for the response, but you're not really looking at the whole picture. First, let us take a look at your pros and cons list.

1. Larger coverage area. I travel all over the country, west coast, east coast, and points in between. While coverage may look bigger on the map, I have almost always been able to use my phone when needed. One of my associates is on VZW. Sometimes my phone had signal when his did not. Sometimes his phone had the signal. From my personal experience, I do not see the plus here.

2. Larger & more stable company. Bigger isn't always better but I'll count this a pro.

3. Great customer service, compared with carriers in general. In the long run this may be true. So far, since the buy out, Alltel customers have been given problematic (I'm being nice) PRLs and have had to deal with roaming issues and reduced coverage as a result of the transition while still having to pay their monthly bill (Yes, this has pissed off a lot of folks). The latest PRL has improved this situation (still not as good as it was) but the overall lack of communication and inconsistent information coming from VZW personnel has been pathetic. The most consistent info I have heard is "be patient". As you have read, a lot of folks have lost their patience. So far, for Alltel customers this is a "con". I am being optimistic and thinking this will change once the technological switch has occurred and we are fully a part of the VZW system.

4. Same basic technology. Nothing "pro" about this, just a fact.

5. More services. Give me the details...my mind is open on this one.

6. 4G in the wings. Bring it on.

7. No coverage loss. It's a tough sell when VZW starts out by reducing our coverage as part of the transition process. As I said...it's getting better.

8. 8.6 million customers. Give me a break. The number one beneficiary of this is VZW...more customers=more profit. Sure, there are those end users who have a large network of VZW customers. My usage may be different than most but most of my phone calls are to land lines. This is not a plus or pro for me.

9. I am adding "Better Selection of Phones" as a "Pro".

If it is true that VZW will grandfather my plan this is a huge plus..or Pro. I might be wrong, but I thought I read a post stating that in the future I could upgrade my 8330 and still keep my current Alltel plan, as long as I don't change the plan itself. That would be awesome.

In the meantime, the technological switch can't happen soon enough for a lot of us. I am counting on being part of a better network, as promised. We'll see...

Looking at the Bigger picture, this is a time to stop calling people whiners and other derogatory names. It a time for putting sarcasm aside and time for putting facts on the table and for VZW to get their act together and give ALL their new expanded family the same network performance. It can't happen soon enough.
    07-11-09 01:32 PM
    this is a time to stop calling people whiners and other derogatory names. It a time for putting sarcasm aside and time for putting facts on the table
    Amen to that.

I'm a member of several big forums for different things. I realize I'm new here, and I hope its just coincidence, but from what I've seen the few weeks I've been here (and not just in this thread), this CrackBerry forum is by far the worst for snide, elitist, sarcastic comments.
    07-11-09 02:25 PM
    Amen to that.

I'm a member of several big forums for different things. I realize I'm new here, and I hope its just coincidence, but from what I've seen the few weeks I've been here (and not just in this thread), this CrackBerry forum is by far the worst for snide, elitist, sarcastic comments.
    This is an awesome site and has been a huge source of helpful information as I have been learning the ins and out of my Curve. Unfortunately, there are some comments and attitudes that really have no place in a respectful forum environment. I guess you could say we live in a "free society" and some would take that to mean "anything goes".
    07-11-09 02:39 PM
    1. Larger coverage area. I travel all over the country, west coast, east coast, and points in between. While coverage may look bigger on the map, I have almost always been able to use my phone when needed. One of my associates is on VZW. Sometimes my phone had signal when his did not. Sometimes his phone had the signal. From my personal experience, I do not see the plus here.
    I can tell you that Alltel had about a 20% footprint deficit, compared to Verizon. Yes, there were areas where one existed, where the other didn't. Oftentimes, any issues in roaming from one to the other was PRL or device related, while others it was not. Now, you have the holes where one was & the other wasn't filled in.
    2. Larger & more stable company. Bigger isn't always better but I'll count this a pro.
    No, bigger is not always better. But bigger generally means more stability & financial resources. As long as the size does not compromise a company's ability to adapt, it is usually a good thing.
    3. Great customer service, compared with carriers in general. In the long run this may be true. So far, since the buy out, Alltel customers have been given problematic (I'm being nice) PRLs and have had to deal with roaming issues and reduced coverage as a result of the transition while still having to pay their monthly bill (Yes, this has pissed off a lot of folks). The latest PRL has improved this situation (still not as good as it was) but the overall lack of communication and inconsistent information coming from VZW personnel has been pathetic. The most consistent info I have heard is "be patient". As you have read, a lot of folks have lost their patience. So far, for Alltel customers this is a "con". I am being optimistic and thinking this will change once the technological switch has occurred and we are fully a part of the VZW system.
    As you said, it is mostly technical, related to the differing records of each company. Unlike the Qwest acquisition, where there weren't a lot of facilities to transition (Qwest ran home areas mostly on Sprint, which is what caused customer retention difficulties), Alltel came with a large network. Toss in the fact some of that network would need to be spun off to satisfy DoJ requirements, and there have been problems.

Yes, it could've been smoother, but this is what you see when there are government regulations & monitors with their fingers in the mess.

With this, I am not offering a defense of any involved entity - rather, I am just saying how it is. You are correct. It will get better.
    4. Same basic technology. Nothing "pro" about this, just a fact.
    Definite pro here. Fact is, it could've been AT&T - try getting your devices to roam on GSM.
    5. More services. Give me the details...my mind is open on this one.
    Femtos, VoIP landline interactivity, VVM, etc. Look at what Alltel offered, as comprehensive as it was, it still didn't match what VZW has. Do you have an interest in these things? Maybe, maybe not - but they are there if you want to take advantage of them.

6. 4G in the wings. Bring it on.
    Ditto that. Alltel didn't have the financial resources to pull this off fast enough.
    7. No coverage loss. It's a tough sell when VZW starts out by reducing our coverage as part of the transition process. As I said...it's getting better.
    The transitions are always the hardest.
    8. 8.6 million customers. Give me a break. The number one beneficiary of this is VZW...more customers=more profit. Sure, there are those end users who have a large network of VZW customers. My usage may be different than most but most of my phone calls are to land lines. This is not a plus or pro for me.
    Each has a different calling pattern - but having 80 million instead of 30 million means your odds of finding another is much higher.
    9. I am adding "Better Selection of Phones" as a "Pro".
    Interesting - I liked Alltel's selection.
    If it is true that VZW will grandfather my plan this is a huge plus..or Pro. I might be wrong, but I thought I read a post stating that in the future I could upgrade my 8330 and still keep my current Alltel plan, as long as I don't change the plan itself. That would be awesome.
    It is true - keep your plan & it won't change. Somewhere I had a copy of the official VZW letter to Alltel customers. You could keep your plan, as long as you didn't want a change. I believe you could even drop the BlackBerry component & switch to a WinMo device or a dumbphone. But if you want to increase or decrease your minutes, you're stuck.
    In the meantime, the technological switch can't happen soon enough for a lot of us. I am counting on being part of a better network, as promised. We'll see...

Looking at the Bigger picture, this is a time to stop calling people whiners and other derogatory names. It a time for putting sarcasm aside and time for putting facts on the table and for VZW to get their act together and give ALL their new expanded family the same network performance. It can't happen soon enough.
    This might happen if the redundancy of the questions was to subside. I could probably uncover dozens of threads, many of them in the VZW forums, screaming about how Alltel customers didn't choose it but VZW came along, bought up Alltel (with overtones that the transaction was somehow illegal) and now their rates were going to go sky-high. The transaction was perfectly legal, Alltel initiated the negotiations, all hurdles considered, VZW is doing fairly well in the transition, they are not forcing anyone into VZW plans, and no, it isn't a reason to get out of your Alltel contract without an ETF.

There isn't even that big a difference in plan pricing. When I ran the numbers as recently as last fall, I found my per line costs, would be roughly equal. Where they weren't, there was a variation in minutes, or I had to take into consideration the sheer number of VZW lines I caledl would now be chargeable instead of free M2M.

Two things - 1) people get tired of the same old questions day in & day out. Unflrtunately, this is going to happen, as there really isn't a whole lot of things to take about in the BlackBerry world that can't be covered in an hour's chat. 2) some of us are much older than the majority of those who frequent this site. Interestingly, most of the BlackBerry people over 25 I mention this site to are unaware of it & most have no interest in it. Those under 25, especially the under 20 BlackBerry set - they all know about it. So what you have is a bunch of kids coupled with a few beaten up carrier reps and some old goats, like me, who know being politically correct is not only counter-productive, it is wrong.

Nowhere is anyone given the right to not be offended. The quickest way to raise my ire, is to tell me what I can & cannot say. To me, whining is complaining about the same thing over & over again, regardless of whether or not the issue exists - they not taking sound advice or at least doing for youself what is needed to correct that which you are companining about.

Let's put it this way - last year I fired someone for trying to push diversity training at my company - and no, I am not a racist, nor am I white, nor do I try to pick up women at work. But these are discussions for another time.
    07-11-09 03:31 PM
    The biggest positive change is that alltel customers can now call ME for free.

07-11-09 06:45 PM
    I already miss Alltel. It is kinda hard to drive by their fromer corperate offices here in LR and now see Verizon all over the building.

I was always loyal to the good ole home town company even after the Fords sold them to a private group and they screwed us by (not the customers but some employees. luckily I got out before the sell) selling it to Verizon.

Hopefully Verizon will be as good to Arkansas and all it's new customers nationwide as Alltel was.

Goodbye Alltel, you were great for Arkansas for many years and will be missed.
    07-11-09 07:10 PM
    I read today that Verizon let a small percentage of Alltel employees go this week in Arkansas. I hated to read that news story. It didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy towards Verizon. Alltel has been my wireless provider for 2 years now, and I've been very happy with their service. My contract is up for renewal now, and I am just like several others on this forum, trying to decide what to do. Renew now, and not get much of an upgraded BB through Alltel, or wait until we are transitioned over to Verizon and sign up for their BB plans and get a new phone through them. I realize that if I wait, I'll be paying a bit more for their BB plan.

For the record, I'm NOT a young BB user, but a 60 yr. old female who loves new phones and apps!

07-11-09 08:11 PM
    Its been made clear that us Alltel people are stupid morons who can't read . . . but for us ignorant ones (or at least stoopid ol' me), there is still a question of if we can get a new phone at the discounted rate AND keep our current Alltel plans.

All I've read on here was a "no" which was edited and changed to "yes". That is all I've seen here on that particular question. If it has been answered elsewhere, then I'm an ***** for not finding it. Whatever.

Yesterday, a Verizon rep called me. He had taken my name a few weeks ago as one being interested in the Tour. (I was impressed that he in fact did call me back.) I asked him if I would be able to get the discount pricing on a new phone AND keep my current plan. He said: "Oh, I don't know about that, we'll have to wait and see after you are moved and find out then".

I also just found out yesterday that I'm not being switched over to Verizon until later this fall, so here's what I'm going to do: Rumor has it that US Cellular might be getting the Tour this fall. If that happens, I will wait and try them out for 30 days and see how their service is around this area. If its good, I'll just stay with them and close my Alltel/Verizon account. If USCC is not a good experience, then I'll stay with Verizon and take whatever they feed me.
    07-11-09 08:46 PM
    [QUOTE=tsguy52;3013120]And again. It doesn't matter if you wait. You will still have access to alltel plans.

uh, Ok..when I visited my Alltel rep this past Thurs. , she did not seem to know that info.

07-11-09 08:48 PM
    Yeah there were some that lost their job, but Verizon has promoted and hired many more. Over 70 tech jobs and over 200 customer service positions with plans to expand that much further. Those who were laid off have great experience and can get a job fairly easy. They were not just average Joes and some were even offered jobs other places so they can relocate.

No offense, but your wrong. Verizon has pretty much kept the call center jobs open, but have cut a lot of the better paying jobs in LR. I lot of my excoworkers have or are in the process of losing their jobs. In this economy it is not easy to just turn around and get a new job.

I am not bitter towards Verizon. I realize they can't have duplicate position and had to cut those positions in LR. I just hate it for LR economy.
    07-11-09 08:55 PM
    No offense, but your wrong. Verizon has pretty much kept the call center jobs open, but have cut a lot of the better paying jobs in LR. I lot of my excoworkers have or are in the process of losing their jobs. In this economy it is not easy to just turn around and get a new job.

I am not bitter towards Verizon. I realize they can't have duplicate position and had to cut those positions in LR. I just hate it for LR economy.
    A lost job is a lost job, regardless of skills or talents. Again, it's a hard hit for those who lost out:-)

07-11-09 08:59 PM
    If that includes me in its intention, please show me where I've bashed or head hunted.?.?.
    It was not meant at anyone directly. Just stating to all who view the thread and want to speak on pricing, service, etc. VZW is working really hard to make it a seemless transition.
    07-12-09 11:32 AM
    I can tell you that Alltel had about a 20% footprint deficit, compared to Verizon. Yes, there were areas where one existed, where the other didn't. Oftentimes, any issues in roaming from one to the other was PRL or device related, while others it was not. Now, you have the holes where one was & the other wasn't filled in.

No, bigger is not always better. But bigger generally means more stability & financial resources. As long as the size does not compromise a company's ability to adapt, it is usually a good thing.
    As you said, it is mostly technical, related to the differing records of each company. Unlike the Qwest acquisition, where there weren't a lot of facilities to transition (Qwest ran home areas mostly on Sprint, which is what caused customer retention difficulties), Alltel came with a large network. Toss in the fact some of that network would need to be spun off to satisfy DoJ requirements, and there have been problems.

Yes, it could've been smoother, but this is what you see when there are government regulations & monitors with their fingers in the mess.

With this, I am not offering a defense of any involved entity - rather, I am just saying how it is. You are correct. It will get better.

Definite pro here. Fact is, it could've been AT&T - try getting your devices to roam on GSM.
    Femtos, VoIP landline interactivity, VVM, etc. Look at what Alltel offered, as comprehensive as it was, it still didn't match what VZW has. Do you have an interest in these things? Maybe, maybe not - but they are there if you want to take advantage of them.

Ditto that. Alltel didn't have the financial resources to pull this off fast enough.
    The transitions are always the hardest.

Each has a different calling pattern - but having 80 million instead of 30 million means your odds of finding another is much higher.

Interesting - I liked Alltel's selection.

It is true - keep your plan & it won't change. Somewhere I had a copy of the official VZW letter to Alltel customers. You could keep your plan, as long as you didn't want a change. I believe you could even drop the BlackBerry component & switch to a WinMo device or a dumbphone. But if you want to increase or decrease your minutes, you're stuck.

This might happen if the redundancy of the questions was to subside. I could probably uncover dozens of threads, many of them in the VZW forums, screaming about how Alltel customers didn't choose it but VZW came along, bought up Alltel (with overtones that the transaction was somehow illegal) and now their rates were going to go sky-high. The transaction was perfectly legal, Alltel initiated the negotiations, all hurdles considered, VZW is doing fairly well in the transition, they are not forcing anyone into VZW plans, and no, it isn't a reason to get out of your Alltel contract without an ETF.

There isn't even that big a difference in plan pricing. When I ran the numbers as recently as last fall, I found my per line costs, would be roughly equal. Where they weren't, there was a variation in minutes, or I had to take into consideration the sheer number of VZW lines I caledl would now be chargeable instead of free M2M.

Two things - 1) people get tired of the same old questions day in & day out. Unflrtunately, this is going to happen, as there really isn't a whole lot of things to take about in the BlackBerry world that can't be covered in an hour's chat. 2) some of us are much older than the majority of those who frequent this site. Interestingly, most of the BlackBerry people over 25 I mention this site to are unaware of it & most have no interest in it. Those under 25, especially the under 20 BlackBerry set - they all know about it. So what you have is a bunch of kids coupled with a few beaten up carrier reps and some old goats, like me, who know being politically correct is not only counter-productive, it is wrong.

Nowhere is anyone given the right to not be offended. The quickest way to raise my ire, is to tell me what I can & cannot say. To me, whining is complaining about the same thing over & over again, regardless of whether or not the issue exists - they not taking sound advice or at least doing for youself what is needed to correct that which you are companining about.

Let's put it this way - last year I fired someone for trying to push diversity training at my company - and no, I am not a racist, nor am I white, nor do I try to pick up women at work. But these are discussions for another time.
    At the end of the day, you and I will probably agree on most of these points and agree to disagree on others. That's what makes us individuals. As for how we should be conducting ourselves in this forum I am pleased there is an attempt to give us guidelines. There are "Forum Rules & Policies." Under this there is "Basic Member Conduct." In bold letters it says, "Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!" I know that this is open to interpretation, but name calling is neither nice, helpful, or respectful.

I certainly understand the frustration of dealing with redundancy. I wish more of these posters would try the "three Rs"...Read, Research, and Review. There would be far fewer posts. Maintain that sense of humor that I see you have and don't let the redundancy and the generation gap get to you.

Cheers....i_hiker
    07-12-09 01:02 PM
    I was an Alltel customer since 1989. I just got off the phone talking to a VZW CS rep and to tell yah the truth.......I was impressed. It seemed that he was very willing to listen to my question and yes he answered it in full and I liked what I heard. Maybe this merger won't be so bad after all.
    07-12-09 01:07 PM
    It was not meant at anyone directly. Just stating to all who view the thread and want to speak on pricing, service, etc. VZW is working really hard to make it a seemless transition.
    Thanks for participating in this thread and your thoughtful responses. Sometimes, to really understand a situation, you have try and put yourself in the other person's shoes. From my point of view, VZW has NOT done the right things to make this a seamless transition.

Mergers and buy outs happen...it is just part of the business world. Unfortunately, the end user is often caught in the crossfire of change. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute. We use our phone mostly for business and to stay in touch with family that includes aging parents. Fortunately, we work hard and have a condo at the beach and a cabin in the mountains. The condo is closer and gets visited a lot. The BB works well there and we're off to a long weekend. Time to check in on 84 year old Dad. Oops...no signal! No warning, no nothing, no signal...new PRL! More new PRLs and still no signal at the beach! Finally...PRL 40051 and my signal is back (weaker, but back)! This is not seamless.

To say "Be patient" is not part of a seamless transition policy. I made the mistake of thinking my Alltel service would stay the same and then get better when the take over and system merger was complete. My mistake. Folks all over the country have experienced loss or diminished signal in the early stages of this process. In a seamless transition world, we would have been sent some type of notice that PRLs would be changing and might experience some temporary outages for a period of time. We would also have been given a time frame for when the system switch over would be complete. NO SUCH MESSAGE. We've been told about billing but not the network. What we ended up with was confusion and dissatisfaction that deteriorated into anger and disrespect. This happened because there is NOT a seamless transition policy...and poor communication.

If I ask a question, I get a different answer, depending on who I am asking. Rep in the store gives one answer, CS rep on phone gives another answer, rep on CB gives yet another answer. This is NOT a seamless transition policy. There are different answers to the same question and it appears an emerging shift in policy from VZW. This is NOT a seamless transition. Frankly, I don't really care WHAT the answer to a question is...just give me a truthful answer that sticks and means something.

Question: What is the VZW policy on Alltel contracts? Are we grandfathered in until the expiration or end date of the contract term? Are we grandfathered in as long as we keep our current devices? Can we move to a VZW phone and keep our Alltel contract? If so, for how long?

Question: My main home (and cell phone home base) is in Tallahassee, Florida. When will my phone be on a system that combines the VZW and Alltel towers?

Are these questions too difficult to get a consistent and correct answer from a VZW employee?

At this moment VZW is not involved in a seamless transition...they are playing catch up...and until all employees have the same answers to questions, they will continue to play catch up.
    07-12-09 01:59 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD