07-12-09 12:59 PM
40 12
tools
    Found in Alltel Threads:

On Friday July 10 at 11pm Alltel.com will no longer be available to us. Verizonwireless.com will be our new destination to manage our accounts. Have you compared your current Alltel plan to a comparable VZW offering? Here is mine:
    Alltel: MyCircle 10 Smart Pack 1200--$109.99/month
    VZW: Nationwide Email & Message 900 with 5 Friends and Family--$119.99/month
    So...if the VZW plans remain the same, and in 18 months I decide to sign on with VZW, I'll pay $10 more per month, have 300 fewer talk minutes, 6 less Friends and Family (I currently have 11) and "nights" start at 9 rather than 7. VZW motto is "We're not satisfied unless you are..." I'd say they have a long way to go to fulfill those words.
    07-09-09 05:28 PM
    Verizon Wireless is working hard to make it a seemless transition for those customers. However, you have to take a step back and think that the company you signed a contract with was bought out. Verizon Wireless doesn't have to fulfill any of those contracts that you signed with Alltel even though VZW has been working really hard to make things happen.

Also if you check on pricing plans you can see that you can get the Nationwide Select 900 for 79.99. Throw a Email & Web package on there for 29.99 and now we are talking $109.98 /mo. And you still get the 5 f&f.
    07-09-09 05:34 PM
    ^^^I wanted to say that but just couldn't bring myself to say it!
    07-09-09 05:49 PM
    ^^^I wanted to say that but just couldn't bring myself to say it!
    haha why is that?
    07-09-09 05:50 PM
    You worded it better than I would have. I typed it out but it sounded like I was a complete *** about it!
    07-09-09 05:53 PM
    Welcome aboard to the VZW employee family.

And if most chose Alltel due to coverage and c/s than I think they will be just fine as VZW customers lol.
    07-09-09 05:58 PM
    bs1two and tsguy52...thanks for the thoughtful responses. I have been patiently dealing with the "growing pains." One of the first effects of the buy out was a change in Alltel PRL that left a lot of us with diminished roaming. My roaming is now better with the latest PRL...but not as good as it was. As for 86+million customers...not all of them are happy campers...just look through the VZW threads. Same can be said for Alltel clients. Yes, there are some unreasonable folks out there and at the end of the day, there are always going to be those that are not pleased.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 contacts in my Address Book. Most of these numbers are not mobile numbers and I spend a lot of time on the road. From a business view point, the VZW plans are a step back for me.

What bothers me the most is the motto "We're not satisfied unless you are..." Do you really feel that this is an honest and sincere statement? While the end result for me will hopefully and probably be a superior network, (once the two systems are combined) the VZW BB plans in their current form are inferior to what I have now.

The good news for me is that I have 18 months left on my current plan. I have had excellent help with Alltel tech support when I have needed them and my retail rep has taken very good care of me over the years. I can only hope that VZW does the same.
    07-09-09 06:33 PM
    I live in Central Nebraska. We have three choices for service, Alltel, US Cellular, and Viaero (a small GSM carrier).

I've been with Alltel for 10 years. Will that customer loyalty move with me, or mean anything to Verizon?

I have a Windows phone on a smart phone package (similar to "i hiker") that also includes tethering. It costs me just over $100/month. I want a Blackberry Tour, but if I want to do the same thing with a Blackberry on Verizon that I have on Alltel now, its going to cost $130/month.

I understand that Verizon has a reputation for good service and coverage. I also have to say that overall, Alltel has provided me good service and coverage. It works, I can't complain.

This leaves me wondering ... is Verizon going to rush right out here next week, tear down all the Alltel towers and put up new, taller Verizon towers in their place? (There are no Verizon owned towers here). Are they going to come out here and put a Verizon tower between every Alltel tower to double our coverage? How is my service going to improve under the Verizon name? I really don't expect to see any change at all.

Almost all my time is spent right here around my home (Alltel) area. What improvement in service will an extra $30/month provide me next week when I write my check to "Verizon" instead of "Alltel"? It will be the same towers that we're on now.

I don't need to talk to 86 million people. I need to talk to the ten or so friends and family that I'm already talking to now. Most everyone I talk to now is also an Alltel customer because for years, Alltel (Nebraska Cellular) was all we had.

I understand its not the same for everyone, I'm just talking about my own situation and the way it is here. I really don't see how this merger is going to change anything for us here other change the name and raise our prices.

I really want a new Tour, but I can't justify the extra $30/month that will come with the new Verizon contract. I'm hearing that US Cellular has good service and coverage around here now (they also use Alltel's towers) and if they get the Tour this fall (hopefully), I'll be able to do what I need with them for about $90/month. They are saying they will be all 3g by the end of the year. Will Verizon upgrade all this Alltel stuff to 3g by the end of the year? I don't know, but I doubt it.

So, I'm waiting to see what USCC does. If they bring the Tour or another new BB out in the next few months, I'll likely become their customer and buy something crazy (like food or utilities) with that extra $40/month.
    07-09-09 07:37 PM
    Technically Alltel is already 3.5G EVDO Rev A (might be a few small areas that are still 1xRTT and EVDO Rev 0) so no need to wait for it! And with Verizon being "the largest 3G network", they will make improvements where need be and will be rolling out LTE very soon. It's called capital - something that Alltel lacked to a certain degree when it came to new technology and expanding the network.

With Verizon you also have people traveling all over the country to test network coverage to make it better. They carry with them phones from the main competitors in the wireless industry to test their coverage as well (just for bragging rights). So the Verizon guy running around saying "Can you hear me now?" is actually really happening on a day to day basis.

Tethering with Alltel costs $30 - a lot of people use it without paying for it and assume it is included in their plan or whatever, but it's not. Not saying you don't know what you're talking about - but you should be paying at least $30 for tethering with current pricing.

Your loyalty with Verizon means just as much as it meant with Alltel. When you call in for help we can see at first glance how long you've been a customer. That's how important it is and is also a determining factor in terms of what we can do for you. That means going out of our way and bending the rules a little to keep you happy.
    07-09-09 07:55 PM
    Alltel customer service, and service in general, was top-flight, when compared to other carriers - many times tying VZW for honors and almost always blowing away Sprint & AT&T. The loss of Alltel was not something beneficial to the cell phone customer base, as it was a loss of a good competitor. So we don't need attacks on Alltel or discussions of which carrier was better. We can touch on what happened & go from there.

Alltel was purchased by VZW because Alltel saw the deal as beneficial for their shareholders. VZW bought Alltel because they felt it was beneficial to their service, their bottom line & their shareholders. The reason all of this went through is Alltel saw they could no longer compete in a manner they felt was keeping with their reputation. Synergies of equipment, areas & customer base made the transaction easier.

Now, what does this mean to the Alltel customer? Plusses & minuses dot my list, but mostly it is positive.

Pros:
    1) Larger coverage area.
    2) Larger & more stable company.
    3) Great customer service, compared with carriers in general.
    4) Same basic technology.
    5) More services.
    6) 4G in the wings.
    7) No coverage loss.
    8) 87.6 million customers to call with no minutes charged.

Cons:
    1) Price, for some customers.
    2) Uglier 8330.

Say what you will, but it has been established that Alltel customers will be allowed to maintain their current price plans as long as they don't want to change. If they want to move up or down in minutes, a change will be needed, but if no change is made, the same plan will remain.

What it all boils down to is all positives for Alltel subscribers unless they want to change plans. No one is forcing them to change plans.

Since those whining are too low on the financial chain to have owned a controlling interest in Alltel, they really don't have any valid complaints. Those who were high enough on the food chain to have had controlling interest liked the idea, as did the majority of all stockholders with voting rights.

It could have been Sprint or AT&T that bought Alltel. The reality is that Alltel initiated the merger discussions. Verizon did not pull off a hostile takeover. With this in mind, VZW can actually be seen as the knight in shining armor, not the bad guy.

VZW has not entered into any hostile takeovers, leveraged buyouts or negotiations involving guns & torture.

If you want to whine, feel free to switch. There are other carriers who would love to have you and even if you have to pay the full-boat ETF, it is less than the therapist would cost to deal with your irrational anger.

Slow down - smile. There are rumors Sprint may be searching for a suitor, especially after the latest financial reports. So you may not be the last of the complainers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 08:04 PM
    And hey folks - I was not saying that anyone in particular was whining - just a lot of pent-up fatigue over the merger & the barbs thrown out went into my above post. If you're not whining, so be it. But a lot have been.

Just so you know where I was coming from.

07-09-09 08:12 PM
    It has definitely been growing pains for people where I live at. I moved into the heart of Alltel country, and a lot of people have been waiting on letters saying who was going to be their provider. The next closest provider is VZW, and it was assumed that is who it would be...some of them got letters this week that companies they had never heard of would be taking over their service and not VZW. The real funny part is one person got a letter that company ABC would be their provider and then their literal neighbor across the street got a letter that VZW would be theirs. Definitely an up in the air time for some. This too shall pass!
    07-09-09 08:19 PM
    We are still 1x here.

Tethering is specifically included in the package I have with Alltel. When I got on this package, I said that I need to use my phone as a modem and the Alltel rep said "ok, then you need this package which has that included". I rarely use it, but with my business, I need it when I need it and it's saved my bacon a few times when my DSL was out or when I was traveling.

Its good that Verizon is going to honor Alltel's plans and prices. It just happens that for me, my contract with Alltel is up and I want/need a new phone. That will mean a new, more expensive contract with Verizon.

I'm not complaining. I'm not whining. I'm just looking at the facts, all my options and stating what they are in my case and that I'm seeing the same situation as the OP. As I said, we all don't live in the same areas with the same coverages and situations. What Verizon is doing in New York doesn't change what I need and have available here at my home.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for what I do, where I am, and the way I use my phone, I don't believe I will see any change in service after the name switch. That is just a fact as I see it. Even if I were to complain, that will not change a thing.

I don't owe Alltel or Verizon anything, and they don't owe me. I pay for a service and they provide it. All I'm saying is that if Verizon is not going to think twice about making me pay more for the same service I have now, then that shows me where I stand with them . . . take it or leave it . . . and in this case, I have to watch my own bottom line and when it comes time, I may just have to leave it.

Yes, after 10 years with Alltel, I'm a little disappointed that its come to this, but if Verizon doesn't give a flip about us "bottom of the financial chain" people, then so be it. If they don't care, then I won't lose any sleep over switching carriers if it comes to that.

You can look down your nose at us rural customers if you want, but that doesn't change a thing. Higher rates for the same service will push many of us lower forms of cellular customers away.

Call it whining if you want, but that's just the way it is.
    07-09-09 09:03 PM
    You can look down your nose at us rural customers if you want, but that doesn't change a thing. Higher rates for the same service will push many of us lower forms of cellular customers away.
    No one is looking down at rural customers (I'm pretty sure I have lived in just as much of a rural place as you - farming and everything).. I meant small areas as in most have been converted, but they are still working on the ENTIRE network I'm sure. I didn't want to be wrong and say "oh yeah it's EVDO everywhere!"

What made Alltel have a great position in the market place in terms of coverage was the fact that they were mostly rural and bigger carriers traded nationwide coverage for rural coverage - giving Alltel the largest network not only geographical, but nationwide too.

The benefit with VZW is they are going to look at it like this: "What areas do not have at least EVDO coverage? Fix it. Make it better." They want to not only be the biggest, but also be the best.

I have no idea why I sound like a commercial tonight.. lol
    07-09-09 09:10 PM
    The benefit with VZW is they are going to look at it like this: "What areas do not have at least EVDO coverage? Fix it. Make it better." They want to not only be the biggest, but also be the best.
    If/when they do that, then we will at least be able to see some kind of added benefit for the extra cost. Until then, its simply more money for the same service as we had with Alltel.

You or I don't know when those upgrades may happen. It may be next week, or it may be next year, or more. There is A LOT of Alltel area to cover/upgrade.

Since we are the bottom of the cellular financial chain, I don't expect Verizon will rush right out here and make major changes to a system that is working the way it is. Maybe I'm wrong about that . . . I hope I am . . . time will tell . . . but in the mean time, paying 30% more for "The Largest 3G Network Everywhere But Here" is simply difficult to justify into my own budget.
    07-09-09 09:56 PM
    Its good that Verizon is going to honor Alltel's plans and prices. It just happens that for me, my contract with Alltel is up and I want/need a new phone. That will mean a new, more expensive contract with Verizon.
    Your contract is up. You need a new phone. Neither means you have to change plans.

If you want to change, then you change. If you like what you have, just keep it.

I know of more than one person who had USWest, then Qwest. They are now VZW. They have picked up several new phones at discounted prices, but are still on the same rate plan then had 12 years ago, before VZW existed.

The plans are grandfathered.

07-10-09 01:17 AM
    Edit: you can keep your Alltel plan and upgrade to a new Verizon phone. My bad!
    Hey - it happens. We all write wrong from time to time.

Now, my question is this: Will I be able to keep my VZW plan & upgrade to Omnia2?

07-10-09 08:42 AM
    I don't see what the fuss is about... VZW is going above and beyond for you Alltel people to keep things the way they are. Even as far as letting some of the VZW aspects to be billed under that Alltel plan. For instance VCAST can be added to an Alltel plan. There are many more instances but this is just one to note.

How bout you guys give ole VZW a shot before you come right out of the gate bashing and head hunting. We are working as hard as we can to make things as seemless as possible. Every VZW rep in every store has put in a lot of time trying to educate themselves about this merger to make it easy for the customer.

And while the motto that the OP brings up is true... we can only work so hard and please so many people. Please understand it is growing pains for us just like it is for the customer.

I would be willing to answer any question you have and if I don't know it I will make sure to find out the correct answer. **** I have even went as far as answering questions by bbm. It's part of my job to help those who have questions. Do I get paid for it while I am off the clock... nope! But it helps when I don't have an angry customer standing in front of me (or knowing I saved another rep) yelling and pissed off bc they weren't informed.
    07-10-09 08:50 AM
    Hey - it happens. We all write wrong from time to time.

Now, my question is this: Will I be able to keep my VZW plan & upgrade to Omnia2?

If it's anything like the Omnia 1 then I am steering clear of that phone...

But it looks promising from photos and videos I have seen.

And No you can't keep your VZW plan. HungKungPhooey out of Latvia has sole rights to that plan. You will need to be on the Allizon Network in order to acheive level 7 rogue status to purchase and activate that device.
    07-10-09 08:53 AM
    So, if that is true, I was thinking that I should go ahead and make my plan a "Blackberry" plan on Alltel now and then get the new Tour through Verizon after the change over.

I just now called Alltel and asked about making my smart phone plan a Blackberry plan. She said "Your plan is a Blackberry plan now, its just a matter of changing the features on it to make it work with a Blackberry rather than your HTC." (Ok, cool.)

I then asked her if I would be able to get a new Blackberry with Verizon and keep my current plan and costs. She admitted she didn't know for sure, but she thought that Verizon would require me to move to a "Verizon" plan when purchasing a new phone with them (and again stated she was not sure on that).

If I can do that . . . get a new Blackberry and keep my current plan (including tethering) for what I'm paying Alltel now, I will likely stay with Verizon.

She also added that here in Nebraska, we're not going to be in this weekend's move. She said we will be in the 2nd round of moves and she didn't know when that will be.

I have some notes here as I've been trying to decide what will be the best way to upgrade to a new Blackberry (Its bad timing with all this move stuff). Over the last month, I've talked to three different Verizon reps, and two Alltel reps. No, I'm not trying to be a pest. I keep calling back because every time I've called, I've gotten a different story on some part of what I can or can not do at this time. Its very frustrating that I can't seem to find at least two people who are giving me the same answer.

The last time I talked to a Verizon rep, he took all my info and made statements that totally contradicted what other VZW reps told me earlier. I called him out on it saying "well, another rep said ... I need to know who's right so I can make a decision." His reply was "he could very well be correct, I don't know as I'm not even looking at your account".

So, I'll wait. I got a new battery for my HTC that will keep it going until this mess is over.

Then, after we are transitioned over I'll see if I can get a new Verizon Tour and keep my current plan. If I can, I'll probably stay with Verizon.

If Verizon is going to make me pay an extra $30/month, then I'll look at the options of a USCC Blackberry, or continuing with this Windoze Mobile thing on my current plan.

They tell me patience is a virtue. I don't think "they" were waiting to get a new Blackberry when they came up with that statement.
    07-10-09 09:33 AM
    How bout you guys give ole VZW a shot before you come right out of the gate bashing and head hunting.
    If that includes me in its intention, please show me where I've bashed or head hunted.?.?.

I'm not anti-Verizon . . . I'm sorry, but also not a Verizon worshiper.

I'm just a guy who needs a new phone to go about my business.

I want a Blackberry for its messaging features. I don't want to start with a two year old curve when a new phone is coming out now. If I can get that new Blackberry and keep my monthly cost the same as it is now, I'll be happy, and Verizon will retain my business.

If getting that new Blackberry means I'll have to pay 30% more a month for even less features on the exact same system as I had the day before, then I will look into going about my business with another provider.

That is not bashing or head hunting.
    07-10-09 10:10 AM
    To the OP, I feel your pain. I also want a solid answer to this, If I buy a TOUR off ebay will VZW activate the device and allow me to keep the Mycircle 10 Smartpack 1200 coming from a WinMo device?
    I bet they will not allow this but I may be wrong.

To the person who said they will be paying more for the same service. That may be true for you but I will be paying more for less service.

American greed, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Although if I'm not mistaken I believe Vodafone has interest in VZW, so not truly American.

BTW, who needs CS when you have this website
    07-10-09 12:14 PM
    BTW, who needs CS when you have this website
    You need CS cause there things they access to, both info and ability to change an account that this site does not have. ALso a 1000 other things i can think of but will not list
    07-10-09 12:34 PM
    You need CS because no one here can help you with your verizon needs.

No one listens to the words written here anyway. How many times does it need to be noted that alltel customers will be keeping their current plans?

07-10-09 06:07 PM

No one listens to the words written here anyway. How many times does it need to be noted that alltel customers will be keeping their current plans?

I don't know how many times I've explained that very thing.

I think people find that disappointing because they would like to lose their plan so they can complain about how there getting screwed.
    07-10-09 06:48 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD