I have Verizon and my Wife has Alltel. Any idea when we will be able to talk on our cell phones without running up the minutes? I was just wondering if when the deal is sealed it would be considered verizon to verizon calls.
    01-06-09 12:31 PM
    The deal is to be sealed Jan 9. Details have not yet been announced. Does your wife have your cell in her "circle"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 01:52 PM
    Even when the deal is sealed who knows if they will allow Alltel to Verizon calls for free.

Alltel customers may just be given the option to switch over to a Verizon plan and phone at their convenience regardless of contract status. This merger could be handled a hundred different ways so you'll have to wait for something official from either company.
    01-06-09 05:18 PM
    This is an article from BerryReview.

Verizon and ATT have been neck and neck for the right to call themselves America's largest carrier, but on January 9th there will be one clear leader. Verizon has announced that their purchase of Alltel, the fifth largest telecom in the United States, will close on January 9th. The merger will bring Verizon's total share of the market to a whopping 85.2 million wireless subscribers.

The deal includes paying $5.9 billion for Alltels privately held equity, as well as assuming $22.2 billion in debt. To finance this massive purchase Verizon Wireless has received commitments from eight financial institutions to provide $17 billion of cold, hard liquidity. It looks like the Verizon can you hear me now' guy will be working overtime to check up on all his new customers.

01-06-09 05:47 PM
    Alltel customers may just be given the option to switch over to a Verizon plan and phone at their convenience regardless of contract status. This merger could be handled a hundred different ways so you'll have to wait for something official from either company.
    I'm hoping this is how vzw does it personally. Me and my wife have 6 months left on our alltel contract but are wanting to upgrade and get blackberries. Just wondering how soon this could happen............the 10th maybe?
    01-06-09 05:57 PM
    Hi again and thank you for the replies. Yes, my Wife has me in her Circle which makes it a free call for her so that is half the battle. I guess we will see how it evolves when the time comes.
    01-06-09 06:21 PM
    we will be offering IN calling to our new family members from Alltel. That however, will not take place until after the merger is complete and both networks are combined
    What is IN calling?
    01-12-09 09:24 PM
    In calling is when you call to anoohter phone on the VZW network. Does not count against your plan minutes.
    01-12-09 09:59 PM
    Ya in a few months go to alltel.com and type the zip and go to alltel merger info at the top right
    Yes in a few months you will be able to call free because its not a merger its actually a buy out of almost all alltel properties cept a few up north. They said its underway now and prolly by march some time alltel will oficially turn into vzw and they say they may bring some sort of my circle to vzw. Let's hope. To check on current info as what I said go to alltel.com and type ur zip code then up at the top right it will say sompthin about merger info!

Yes in a few months you will be able to call free because its not a merger its actually a buy out of almost all alltel properties cept a few up north. They said its underway now and prolly by march some time alltel will oficially turn into vzw and they say they may bring some sort of my circle to vzw. Let's hope. To check on current info as what I said go to alltel.com and type ur zip code then up at the top right it will say sompthin about merger info!
    Y
    Yes in a few months you will be able to call free because its not a merger its actually a buy out of almost all alltel properties cept a few up north. They said its underway now and prolly by march some time alltel will oficially turn into vzw and they say they may bring some sort of my circle to vzw. Let's hope. To check on current info as what I said go to alltel.com and type ur zip code then up at the top right it will say sompthin about yamerger info!

01-13-09 08:39 AM
    Sorry my phone is screwed up and can't see the message right =} o well

01-13-09 08:40 AM
    Sorry my phone is screwed up and can't see the message right =} o well
    It isn't your phone - it is a glitch in the vBulletin wap version that isn't always rendering the posting data correctly. vBulletin is the software backbone this forum operates on and is rather bloated - some things do not always work as intended.
    01-13-09 08:49 AM
    I absolutely hate this. Our "my circle" plan is what we are with alltel for. My circle let's you call ANY number for free as long as its been typed into the my circle database online. IN calling is crap compared to my circle, alltel had something similar (as every other provider does) that was called mobile-to-mobile and was free anyway. vzw makes it sound like some kind of "special deal" when its just a crap way of trying to compete.

I don't see many alltel customers moving over after their contracts expire since vzw doesn't offer any plans remotely close to the alltel plans. I definetly will not be.

01-13-09 06:22 PM
    Well where I'm at its pretty much Alltel or AT&T.

We have sprint and t-mobile here, but I know 1 person with sprint and none with t-mobile.

And the day I go back to AT&T after the screwing me and my wife took is the day **** freezes over!
    01-13-09 10:45 PM
    as taken from the official press release:

"Alltel customers in markets to be retained will receive a letter during the next few weeks informing them about the purchase and the wide array of new and advanced services that will be available to them when they transition to Verizon Wireless, including the latest wireless data services delivered on the nations largest 3G high-speed wireless broadband network. In addition, when Alltel systems are upgraded in the near future, Alltel customers will have access to the largest mobile-to-mobile calling community in the country, allowing them to use their mobile-to-mobile minutes for calls with Verizon Wireless customers without using their plan minutes."
    01-14-09 12:00 AM
    as taken from the official press release:

"Alltel customers in markets to be retained will receive a letter during the next few weeks informing them about the purchase and the wide array of new and advanced services that will be available to them when they transition to Verizon Wireless, including the latest wireless data services delivered on the nations largest 3G high-speed wireless broadband network. In addition, when Alltel systems are upgraded in the near future, Alltel customers will have access to the largest mobile-to-mobile calling community in the country, allowing them to use their mobile-to-mobile minutes for calls with Verizon Wireless customers without using their plan minutes."
    i understand that this is just a press release but just as one of the above posters posted, everyone already has "in" (mobile to mobile) calling. i guess im still trying to wrap my head around this, no 7pm start and no circle business. Although it is still early and things could change but i guess we will see. maybe i'll just take a trip over to vzw.com to see exactly what their plans are.
    01-15-09 01:46 PM
    IN calling is crap compared to my circle, alltel had something similar (as every other provider does) that was called mobile-to-mobile and was free anyway. vzw makes it sound like some kind of "special deal" when its just a crap way of trying to compete.
    It isn't a "crap way" at all. When you have the most subscribers (avg over past ten years) it is a huge benefit. Think of the number of Alltel lines vs VZW. I recently heard (unconfirmed) a 16:1 ratio. This means I probably don't need any gimmicks or "circles" as they are more likely to be on VZW.

If I were to switch to another carrier, I'd have to double my minutes, at a minimum. I have about 60 people I call regularly - at least once per week and about half of those at least three times per week. Two-thirds of them are VZW.

An Alltel rep analyzed my bill last year and concluded the same thing I already knew.

Then let's see - the Circle plans cost more; in many cases more than VZW (or AT&T) plans. Its like the Cingular/AT&T Rollover plans. I pay more so I can roll over some minutes I might not have used to begin with. If I use all my minutes, I paid more than I shlould have.

Then there is potential rudeness to the other party...

Joe: Hi Cindy! I added you to My Circle so I can call you more!

Cindy: I don't do "My Circle," you're on a small carrier and you're running up my bill, you stalker. Buzz off Joe!

Apples to apples & oranges to oranges. Leave the sour grapes out of it.

01-15-09 03:46 PM
    Does the merger mean that Alltel will be expanding to new markets (Buffalo NY) because it will be using Verizon's network (or they will be the same, something like that). I'd rather switch to them for MyCircle because no more than 3 people I know are on the same network. That and un-crippled phones :-P

01-18-09 09:10 AM
    Alltel will not be expanding - Alltel will no longer be an entity when the merger is complete. Do keep in mind though that there are markets that VZW will sell off and will be held sperately till done so.
    01-18-09 09:14 AM
    i think Alltel was a good company with good call quality. But i also think they HAD to have My Circle because their customer base was so small that the mobile to mobile calling didn't cover a lot of calls. The only people i knew that even heard of Alltel were here in South FL. None of my friends or family in PA, CO or TN knew of them.

Just by volume of customers, chances are when you call someone they are most likely to be on ATT or VZW. And now VZW has over 80 million...i like those odds.

i'm happy that VZW bought Altel and look forward to awesome coverage in rural areas.

Alltel customers may find that they don't need the My Circle because their mobile to mobile is soon greatly expanded!

It's neat that they could call landlines in the Circle...but i know, for me, i don't know too many people with a landline anymore.

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-18-09 at 09:29 AM.
    01-18-09 09:24 AM
    It's my understanding that verizon will drop the ' My Circle ' service altogether. Which is to say, that there will be no NEW m.c. Plans available. However, any existing customers that already have the feature, will get to keep it.
    01-18-09 11:04 AM
    From what I have heard the circle plan will stay on board during the merger. Once an Alltel customer upgrades their device or wants to change a plan, they will need to convert to a VZW plan. At that time the circle plan will drop off.
    01-18-09 11:06 AM
    That makes the most sense, Lastraid. i sold Cingular during the buyout and that was how it worked there were att blue (legacy, att wireless) and att orange (cingular) customers.

If the legacy customers wanted to upgrade their plan or phone they had to go onto an att mobility plan (rollover).

i don't know of VZW will keep MC or dump it. Guess we'll find out soon enough! Maybe VZW will offer a MC-like feature on future VZW plans. Who knows.

01-18-09 11:52 AM
    Well I just asked a very close family member of mine who is a store manager for alltel and he said that when vzw merges billing and name on stores and personnel is trained to be under one name then "my circle" will be no more. But for now all plans are still alltel so it probably will be something like lastraid was saying.
    01-18-09 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD