Was in my local Verizon Wireless to get a plan review, but was told that since my Blackberry Curve 8330 was an Alltel phone I would have to change that phone before I could move to a Verizon plan. I have seen the other threads in regards to this, but nobody has given a technical reason why this cannot be done. Just curious.
    02-14-10 06:32 PM
    Simple answer is the Verizon Plan needs Verizon hardware. I have a Alltel Plan on verizon that allows me the best of both worlds, i can use verizon phone and alltel phones.
    02-14-10 06:44 PM
    The standard answer I get as soon as Alltel comes out my mouth is to change plans and phones. Never take local stores word and only about 20% of phone reps advice. Keep calling and you'll find somebody to explain and help. BTW, why do you want to move away from your Alltel plan? I think Verizon is probably the best but until we're all moved away from Alltel plans it'll be somewhat of a struggle. Keep digging and good luck.
    02-14-10 07:38 PM
    So why would you even consider a Verizon plan?
    Or do you not already have a smartphone (smartchoice) plan? and you just picked this phone up somewhere.

If that's the case and you want to switch to a smartphone plan then that would be a plan change and you wouldn't be able to keep your Alltel plan anyway.
    02-14-10 08:35 PM
    The standard answer I get as soon as Alltel comes out my mouth is to change plans and phones. Never take local stores word and only about 20% of phone reps advice. Keep calling and you'll find somebody to explain and help. BTW, why do you want to move away from your Alltel plan? I think Verizon is probably the best but until we're all moved away from Alltel plans it'll be somewhat of a struggle. Keep digging and good luck.
    Wow, I'm sorry that in your experience you have gotten that kind of service from Verizon. All i know is I definitely wouldn't tell you you had to change plans unless it was necessary to what you were trying to do.

With all the Verizon bashing, I guess some people will never understand what goes into providing the services they pay for.
    02-14-10 09:23 PM
    The reason I was interested in changing to a Verizon plan was to save money. Currently on an Alltel 1200 Family Share plan with 5 phones on it. Lines 3,4, and 5 are costing me $20 a piece. One line will be dropping off permanently in May, but the Verizon 1400 minute plan it would only cost me 9.99 per additional lines. Eventually would like to move to the 700 minute plan as on my current plan am only using 500 minutes of alloted 1200 minutes. The next lower Alltel plan looks to be a 500 minute plan. So that is why I am looking to move to a Verizon plan. Any body have any suggestions.
    02-15-10 04:49 PM
    If you do switch to a verizon plan you will lose your 7pm nights and weekends (if you currently have that feature) and you will also lose your unlimited text/picture messaging. I currently have the same plan you have with 3 additional lines, my daughter sends and receives an average total of 10000 messages per month, and my son about half of that. Last time i looked at a verizon plan, i would have to pay for messaging per line and dont even have the option to get the 7pm n&w feature. At the end of the day you have to do what is best for you and your family but me, I'm staying put.
    Last edited by big.daddy; 02-15-10 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typos
    02-15-10 07:32 PM
    Afallucoo, I definitely didn't mean to sound like I was Verizon bashing, although I was perfectly happy with Alltel and think they're going to be a hard act to follow. That being said I understand how the world works and it was inevitable that Alltel would be taken over / merged with a larger company and I was happy that that it was Verizon and not any of the other majors out there. I think the few negative experiences I've had with Verizon stems from the simple fact that with Alltel customers making up a very minor percentage of Verizon customers, the reps, both store and call center, don't have the experience and training to handle heritage Alltel customers. From reading the forums since merger I also have gathered that the Alltel buyout has been a work in progress and corporate has sent mixed signals to reps. All I'm really saying to heritage Alltel customers that want to keep an Alltel plan that fits them better than a Verizon plan is to research this and other reputable forums and know what to expect when you make the call or visit the store. Thanks for your concern and I'll try and look you up in future with Alltel related questions.
    02-15-10 07:40 PM
    Hey, I'm sorry for the problems other verizon reps have been giving you. I know I try my best to provide the best solution to those I'm working with. Please feel free to bring your alltel questions to me, I know I'll try to keep you with what you want, and wouldn't make someone switch unless they want to or it was absolutely necessary.
    02-15-10 09:18 PM
    Afallucoo, what can you tell me further about this situation. And what have you heard about Storm 3. I am up for an upgrade in August, any chance of the Storm 3being available by then? Thanks for the info you have provided.
    02-16-10 05:04 PM
    Now I don't know where this storm 3 rumor had begun but I can tell you the storm 2 is an absolutely fantastic phone more memory space and a much better screen and keyboard to click on. Of you are up in August wait and see what comes out then.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-17-10 08:06 AM
    Pretty happy with my S2 also, but who knows what I will do, when my annual comes up in Oct/Nov and the S3 and whatever Android devices are around at that point.
    02-17-10 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD