This week I purchased an Alltel Blackberry Curve 8330 off ebay. Before purchasing, I called VZW 3 times to make sure I could use my new phone on their network, even though it was an Alltel phone. Each time I got the same answer, "Yes sir you can. Just take it into a VZW store and they will flash it over" "Your sure about this? Is it free?" "Yes it's free". I went ahead and bought the phone, $190 for a black Curve. The phone arrived yesterday, I drove to the store, waited in line for an hour, got a blank look from the rep behind the counter, "Uhhh we don't do that here, it takes 6-8 weeks and we need to send the phone out". I was slightly discouraged at this point, but I knew the name of the reps that I talked to on the phone, so I felt OK. I got into my truck and immediately called Verizon to get the info I needed to storm back in and get my new phone working. The rep I talked to on the phone was very surprised to hear the rep at the store told me it would take 6-8 weeks, he told me that he would be able to walk me through flashing my phone over using their website. I wasn't home at this point so I told him I would call back, he told me he would call me back at 9pm and that I had no need to call. 9pm rolls around, no call, 915 still nothing, I called at 930. I got a different rep that told me they didn't have to flash, and asked me for the ESN. She gave me some line about there being duplicate ESNs in the system and that I couldn't use the phone. I asked for "Fabian", the rep I talked to before hand, and I got another woman, NOT Fabian. She told me that Fabian had no idea what he was talking about, and that there is no flash for any Alltel phone. I was very angry at this point, so I asked for the Tech dept. The tech told me Fabian was incorrect and that I'm SOL with this phone. Luckily the company I bought the phone from also sells Verizon Curves and are willing to exchange the phone at no cost. I'm sending the phone out today so hopefully I'll have it next week.
    05-29-09 04:48 PM
    I hate when that happens, sometimes it seems like the tell you what you want to hear so they can get you off the phone. im glad you were able to swap phones good luck on the new one.
    05-29-09 04:53 PM
    If the one lady told you that it was a duplicate ESN, it sounds like the Alltel Curve was already activated on someone else's account....
    05-29-09 04:57 PM
    If the one lady told you that it was a duplicate ESN, it sounds like the Alltel Curve was already activated on someone else's account....
    Yea, you have to watch that when you buy cdma phones on ebay. I bet if it wouldn't have been a duplicate esn they would have activated it.
    05-29-09 05:02 PM
    Well she didn't seem to sure on the duplicate ESN and couldn't elaborate much, so idk about that...But I did get some nice info from one of the reps about Alltel phones. She ran the list off to me about Alltel phones that can be activated on the VZW network. It had about 7 Kyoceras, 5 LGs, 3 Moto and a couple other phones, NONE of which were Blackberry's. So all Alltel Blackberry's cannot be activated on the Verizon network, the ESN brings up an error message.
    05-29-09 05:05 PM
    wow.. I mean truthfully I wondor why you didn't just buy a verizon curve to begin with but it does seem like you got the walk around.
    05-29-09 05:29 PM
    wow.. I mean truthfully I wondor why you didn't just buy a verizon curve to begin with but it does seem like you got the walk around.
    Have you seen the Alltel Curve? It's hot, nice and black. I wish Verizon had it in black last year when I got mine.

05-29-09 05:59 PM
    It was black, cheaper, and was supposed to work. Why wouldn't I have bought it?
    05-29-09 07:26 PM
    i know this is a little off topic but, i spoke to an alltel rep here in NC and he told me that they could activate verizon phones with no problem. He did however say that if it was a smartphone (bb) the data would not work, but you could make phone calls.
    05-29-09 09:28 PM
    Alltel phones will not work on Verizon's plans. Alltel customers can keep their alltel plans and activate VZW phones. not the other way around, unfortunately.
    05-29-09 11:47 PM
    Alltel phones will not work on Verizon's plans. Alltel customers can keep their alltel plans and activate VZW phones. not the other way around, unfortunately.
    IF an alltel rep will activate a verizon phone (and, again, I stress the IF) it's a very real possibility only voice services will work. text, brew, data...all bets are off there. Also, that's even if they can get it programmed. If it won't OTA then programming may not be all that easy....
    05-30-09 01:21 AM
    It was black, cheaper, and was supposed to work. Why wouldn't I have bought it?

Didn't know it was cheeper but color really doesn't matter to me unless its pink of course... ahha

I usually put some kind of case on my phone so the color really never bothers me..

but I see where your coming from if it was cheaper .
    05-30-09 03:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD