9 17.65%
  • I don't need it but I believe it is a major advantage

8 15.69%
  • I never felt the need for this feature and can live without it

34 66.67%
02-03-10 02:15 AM
47 12
tools
    i cant really see the point of it. i'm not the kind of person who will spend hours talking on the phone (****, i dont even hit 200 min/month), so why would i need to surf the web?
    although my friend on att uses it, and i must say, it was quite annoying being on the other end of the line. all i could hear was the tapping of the keyboard as he looked up something. if its that important, i'll just call you back
    let me give 1 more very humble point. Say your talking to your girlfriend... dont want to hang up, but, you want to check movie tickets and there is no computer next to you. So you have your device on speaker phone (or bluetooth) and you back out into the home screen to check the movies app or fandango app. With no data and voice together, the app will not work. So the next step is, "oh darn honey, I have to call you back."

With data and voice together, I can stay on the call, read her the movie times, and heck, even buy the tickets right there on fandangos app without calling her over and over again, remembering showtimes and what not.

Its a simple concept with many many uses... Its astonishing that you or anyone else do not care or want this feature just so you can say Verizon is that much better than AT&T. It is better!!! But not blindly better!

Coolaid? No thanks, I pass!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-28-10 at 08:03 AM.
    01-28-10 07:52 AM
    Lets try one more case in point: Your downloading a file, but a phone call comes in. If the file important enough to hang the call up? If you pick up, you will surely cut off the download and get error'd out. If you hang up, you have to call back after the app is installed.

What a choice to make when data/voice together can make it soooo convenient!

But I guess some of you dont want that.... oh well.... I DO!
    01-28-10 01:03 PM
    Trust me if I had I would be happy too, but I would not switch to At&t to get it.
    01-28-10 01:52 PM
    I have a hard enough time concentrating on a phone call why would I want to have to try to browse the web on top of it.
    01-28-10 02:39 PM
    let me give 1 more very humble point. Say your talking to your girlfriend... dont want to hang up, but, you want to check movie tickets and there is no computer next to you. So you have your device on speaker phone (or bluetooth) and you back out into the home screen to check the movies app or fandango app. With no data and voice together, the app will not work. So the next step is, "oh darn honey, I have to call you back."
    I think your girlfriend will forgive the 30 seconds it takes to order the tickets.

Seriously now. It's not like you're paying attention to her anyway while you're looking up Zombie-topia or whatever.

What a choice to make when data/voice together can make it soooo convenient!
    You do realize SMS still works?

With me, if it's not a cell calling me, it's my mom calling me to nag me about something or other. She can wait the five minutes for the download to finish.

Granted, if you're fast enough with the call, the download will simply continue.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 01-28-10 at 03:02 PM.
    01-28-10 03:00 PM
    Should have been an option for "I dont need it but it is a MINOR advantage."

It would be nice but whatever, Verizon can deploy this if they so desire, it's just a software update.
    01-28-10 03:11 PM

It would be nice but whatever, Verizon can deploy this if they so desire, it's just a software update.
    Its more than a software update. It requires a different chip and a revamp of all towers to support rev b.

But thats a good view, as far it being a small advantage. I'm not going to leave verizon simply for data/voice.... but the comments I've been seeing here are like "ANTI-Data/voice!"

It boggles my mind!
    01-28-10 10:57 PM

I thought about putting that in but figured that it's a given advantage. Even if you don't need it, in my opinion, it clearly is a feature.
    Would have added it on but I don't think you can change the polls once they're posted?

Its more than a software update. It requires a different chip and a revamp of all towers to support rev b.

But thats a good view, as far it being a small advantage. I'm not going to leave verizon simply for data/voice.... but the comments I've been seeing here are like "ANTI-Data/voice!"

It boggles my mind!
    I don't think anyone's anti data/voice. I just feel like everyone seems to be confirming that there is no point in AT&T running such a major ad campaign for something no one really misses.

Sure, you might miss it more if you're using a bluetooth headset (or a wired one for that matter) but I don't feel like there are thousands of people that are going to switch to GSM just because Verizon (or Sprint) don't have this right now.
    01-29-10 01:15 PM

It boggles my mind!
    CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

The meat of this press release states this:

"A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure."

So CDMA2000 devices will be able to use voice/data simultaneously. Here is another portion of the same press release:

"About CDMA2000
    CDMA2000 is a widely deployed 3G technology, with 288 operators in 103 countries and territories serving 472 million subscribers. Counting 2G cdmaOne subscribers, there are over 480 million CDMA users worldwide. CDMA2000 1xEV-DO is a widely-deployed 3G CDMA (IMT-2000) solution offering mobile broadband to 120 million people across a wide range of devices. CDMA2000 has been chosen by operators in both developed and emerging markets, and is deployable in the 450, 700, 800, 1700, 1900, AWS and 2100 MHz bands. More than 2,110 CDMA2000 devices from over 115 suppliers have been introduced to the market, including more than 528 Rel. 0 and 118 Rev. A devices on 107 CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 and 66 Rev. A systems. More information on CDMA2000 is available on the CDG Web site at www.cdg.org."

And here is Wikipedia's description of CDMA2000:
    CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Im fairly certain al that is required is a software upgrade, I also remember TwinsX2Dad stating the same thing.
    01-29-10 01:57 PM
    our phones are not equiped with CDMA2000 chips as of yet. And theres no word as to whether it will be available prior to LTE
    01-30-10 10:36 AM
    I believe it requires a seperate chip in the phone for svdo . Doesn't require a massive revamp or rev b.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 12:16 PM
    I believe it requires a seperate chip in the phone for svdo . Doesn't require a massive revamp or rev b.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Incorrect. it does, and it requires an upgrade to all existing towers to rev b, which is why Verizon is bypassing it for LTE
    01-30-10 12:50 PM
    Incorrect. it does, and it requires an upgrade to all existing towers to rev b, which is why Verizon is bypassing it for LTE
    How about some proof instead of just your opinion??

It does seem CDMA2000 is different than just regular CDMA, I still don't think it is going to require a major overhaul though. Different chipsets in devices probably.
    Last edited by cenloe; 01-30-10 at 02:15 PM.
    01-30-10 02:13 PM
    How about some proof instead of just your opinion??

It does seem CDMA2000 is different than just regular CDMA, I still don't think it is going to require a major overhaul though. Different chipsets in devices probably.
    I'm not calling you a liar ricanmedic78. But I'm fairly certain that is not the case. I will post some info to back this up, when i assemble the links. But at most it would require some software updates to the network to handle the change in traffic volume etc. If that. The phone is the reason it can't do both. It needs a chip to communicate with the evdo and the 1x at the same time. Currently it can only do one or the other. Which is why you can send SMS and talk at the same time. SMS travels via 1x and so does voice. However MMS requires the packet data. Verizon already is CDMA 2000 1xev. The SVDO would communicate with the same air interface as EVDO which is already running on verizon's network. It's a handset/chip upgrade that could communcate with rev 0. evdo or rev. a.
    Last edited by strunke; 01-30-10 at 02:51 PM.
    01-30-10 02:46 PM
    I'm not calling you a liar ricanmedic78. But I'm fairly certain that is not the case. I will post some info to back this up, when i assemble the links. But at most it would require some software updates to the network to handle the change in traffic volume etc. If that. The phone is the reason it can't do both. It needs a chip to communicate with the evdo and the 1x at the same time. Currently it can only do one or the other. Which is why you can send SMS and talk at the same time. SMS travels via 1x and so does voice. However MMS requires the packet data. Verizon already is CDMA 2000 1xev. The SVDO would communicate with the same air interface as EVDO which is already running on verizon's network. It's a handset/chip upgrade that could communcate with rev 0. evdo or rev. a.
    I have read that it will be a software upgrade for the current towers to work with CDMA2000. So maybe its minor hardware adjustments only, if that. But I'm willing to bet that its far more complicated than whats on the net. The QUALCOMM report is from 2007 and we are already in 2010 and still, our devices wont see the light of day when it comes to rev b.

So if it was simple, it would of been done already as a bridge to LTE. Bypassing it by Verizon (and sprint as well btw), only tells you that its more expensive than meets the eye...
    01-30-10 03:09 PM
    Qualcomm Announces EVDO Rev B Chipset

discuss Total posts: 1

by Bryan Gardiner
    CTIA Complete Coverage

Qualcomm announced on Monday that its new Mobile Station Modem MSM7850 chipset, which will support EVDO Revision B, will be available later this year.

As an update to the recently launched Rev A—the wireless radio broadband data standard that some CDMA mobile carriers like Sprint and Verizon are now using in certain U.S. locales—Qualcomm says the newer version of the spec will surpass revision A, allowing for download speeds of up to 9.3 Mbps.

In February, Verizon Wireless launched its EVDO Rev A network along with the USB720 wireless modem. That modem, in combination with the speedier network, gave Verizon users download speeds of around 450-800 kilobits per second.

EVDO Rev B, while maintaining the capabilities of the latter revision, will enable future applications like mobile TV to run more smoothly on cell phones, Qualcomm said. Additionally, users will be better able to run concurrent applications, like streaming music while making a voice call, or conducting a VoIP conversation while simultaneously browsing the Internet or transmitting multimedia content over the network.

"The evolution of CDMA2000 networks from EVDO Rev. A to EV-DO Rev B allows network operators to remain leading-edge in their service and performance offerings without the need for any infrastructure hardware changes," said Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, chief operating officer of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies in a statement Monday.

"Qualcomm's technology will allow 3G CDMA networks to meet next-generation data requirements," Jha added.

According to Qualcomm, the MSM7850 device chipset will support for EVDO Rev B, along with full backward compatibility and will start sampling in the next couple months.

The wireless communications company also said that a software upgrade release that lets its Cell Site Modem CSM6800 solution (a series of CDMA digital baseband modems) support multi-carrier EVDO Rev B will be available by the end of this month.

Qualcomm expects the first commercial EVDO Rev B products to be data modems available in late 2007. Additional wireless devices will be released next year.
    01-30-10 03:14 PM
    This was in march 2007 and we are now coming onto February of 2010
    01-30-10 03:15 PM
    I have read that it will be a software upgrade for the current towers to work with CDMA2000. So maybe its minor hardware adjustments only, if that. But I'm willing to bet that its far more complicated than whats on the net. The QUALCOMM report is from 2007 and we are already in 2010 and still, our devices wont see the light of day when it comes to rev b.
    That's the thing. Rev B. and SVDO are too different things entirely. For a Rev. B upgrade it would definately be a little bit of an overhaul on the backend. Because Rev. B is an improvement on data speeds, latency, and capacity. Which would provide high end cable modem like speeds. SVDO can be implemented indepedently of Rev B.
    So if it was simple, it would of been done already as a bridge to LTE. Bypassing it by Verizon (and sprint as well btw), only tells you that its more expensive than meets the eye...
    Yes that may very well be the case, it's possible. I have a feeling if At&t keeps pushing this "doing both at the same time" thing in their ads as their only retort to verizon's superior 3G network coverage and overall speeds they will start having manufacturers start making the handsets and start hitting back at them. They just don't see the need at the moment.
    01-30-10 03:23 PM
    When you tether your blackberry to your laptop for your primary internet connection, this is a big deal. Coming from a verizon customer who does this, i dont know how many times i get knocked off the internet because I cant use voice and data at the same time.
    01-30-10 05:02 PM
    When you tether your blackberry to your laptop for your primary internet connection, this is a big deal. Coming from a verizon customer who does this, i dont know how many times i get knocked off the internet because I cant use voice and data at the same time.
    At this time tethering is and never was meant to be a primary access to the internet. I understand though and this can be a pain. This shyuld be resolved for you over the next year or two as LTE arrives
    01-30-10 05:08 PM
    If you really think about it, for 4/5 of Verizon's coverage map, AT&T can't 'talk on the phone and surf at the same time' either.
    01-31-10 10:37 AM
    our phones are not equiped with CDMA2000 chips as of yet. And theres no word as to whether it will be available prior to LTE
    Take a look at CNET's review and spec's of the Tour.

RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Directly underneath the prices it lists the Tours spec's as being;

Band / mode: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900 / CDMA2000 1X 1900/800

So my Tour does have a CDMA2000 chipset and according to the press release from the CDMA Development Group, our phones would be simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) capable just as they are, although software and possibly some tower upgrades could be necessary.

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

Because CDMA/1xRTT will be used until around 2020, I can envision Verizon upgrading their network. Not all devices will be LTE capable, and those that will be may take some time to come to market.

Verizon Wireless to accelerate LTE, keep CDMA and lower data prices Boy Genius Report
    02-03-10 02:15 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD