9 17.65%
  • I don't need it but I believe it is a major advantage

8 15.69%
  • I never felt the need for this feature and can live without it

34 66.67%
02-03-10 01:15 AM
47 12
tools
    I'm starting this thread only out of curiosity.

Ever since Verizon pointed out that the AT&T 3G coverage on their "Map ads", AT&T has been coming up with different ads pointing out how their network is better. At this point, as I'm sure all of you have realized, it appears that they have stuck with the "you can browse the web while talking on your cellphone" argument.

I'm just wondering, how many of you have would constantly need a data connection while on a voice call? (I'll put a poll to make the answers more evident).

I'm just saying, being with T-Mobile for so long, I haven't had simultaneous voice and data (except over wifi) until they came out with the 9700 and never thought it was a big deal. I can't really think of a situation where someone would consider the lack of this feature to be a major drawback that should be pointed out in a major advertising campaign.

Just my 2 cents and wanted to get your opinions.
    Last edited by allleee; 01-27-10 at 06:00 PM.
    01-27-10 11:14 AM
    I would go as far as saying that this "feature" is only used by about 5% of all cell phone users on a consistent basis.

I for one don't think it's a big deal. Nor do I care to use both at the same time.
    01-27-10 11:24 AM
    I would go as far as saying that this "feature" is only used by about 5% of all cell phone users on a consistent basis.

I for one don't think it's a big deal. Nor do I care to use both at the same time.
    Thanks for the reply. I feel the same way too. I was just getting sick of all those AT&T ads.

When I got the 9700, I had to actually see one of those ads on TV to remember my phone also did that, and then realized that I'd probably never make use of this ability. Just doesn't make sense to me why they'd advertise this as heavily as they do.
    01-27-10 11:52 AM
    I've never needed to use the net while on a call. Yes, I have wanted to do both at once a couple times, but it honestly wasn't that big of a deal that I couldn't.
    01-27-10 11:55 AM
    Yeah these "ad wars" are really stupid

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 12:17 PM
    I have needed it on many many occasions! If I'm on a long drive, I'm using VZ Navigator to guide me, its frustrating not to be able to make a call during this process. "error msg" on the next turn because of the lack of data/voice

Just the other day I was trying to help a friend on sprint use his BB and get the latest BBM. Trying to explain this was very frustrating in that he was a newbie and I had to explain how to download the appworld first, and so on. Needless to say, he, as with verizon, could not talk and follow the steps at the same time. I think it took about 10 calls back and forth to finally do this.

Would also like the idea of being able to talk on bluetooth, have my phone docked in my car, surf the web or even use BB maps (which you cant now due to the lack of data/voice together (when parked of course)
    01-27-10 12:49 PM
    When I was an ATT customer in the past, I used the feature a few times.

However, the one item that ATT doesn't note in their commercial is that the ability to talk and use the internet simultaneously requires 3G network coverage, and we all can see by the maps how few places that functionality is really available.

It will be a great addition when it comes to VZW; at least it will be available to use in more geographic locations...
    01-27-10 02:39 PM
    When I was an ATT customer in the past, I used the feature a few times.

However, the one item that ATT doesn't note in their commercial is that the ability to talk and use the internet simultaneously requires 3G network coverage, and we all can see by the maps how few places that functionality is really available.

It will be a great addition when it comes to VZW; at least it will be available to use in more geographic locations...
    this is true! Edge does data/voice together equally as good as CDMA on 3g!
    01-27-10 05:57 PM
    the only time you would actually need the simultaneous voice and data is in the scenario that ATT provided in its commercial. Who wants to be a millionaire.
    01-27-10 08:34 PM
    my ear is on my head. when i talk the phone goes to my ear. my ear canal does not have eyes therefore i do not need data and voice at the same time
    01-27-10 09:06 PM
    my ear is on my head. when i talk the phone goes to my ear. my ear canal does not have eyes therefore i do not need data and voice at the same time
    I guess a little thing called bluetooth must of passed you by

But hey, when its finally available under an LTE network, we can just disable for you since your ear canal doesnt have eyes
    01-27-10 10:15 PM
    Some of us don't wear those dohickeys. We have other uses for bluetooth.

Like my bluetooth watch that tells me who's calling when the phone rings.

Plus, I dunno... It seems kinda awkward to have one of those things hanging off your head all the time. Call me an oldie, but I kinda like having an actual, well, phone in my hand.

I'll put up with those little earpieces on Xbox Live, but beyond that, I'll just stick to using the phone normal-people style.
    01-27-10 10:24 PM
    I guess a little thing called bluetooth must of passed you by

But hey, when its finally available under an LTE network, we can just disable for you since your ear canal doesnt have eyes
    I see what you are saying but until they make a BT headset that doesnt look uglier then sin I will keep using my ear canal. If I wanted a brick attached to my ear I would just buy a brick.
    01-27-10 10:25 PM
    I see what you are saying but until they make a BT headset that doesnt look uglier then sin I will keep using my ear canal. If I wanted a brick attached to my ear I would just buy a brick.
    I guess it's legal to talk on the phone <without a hands free device> and drive in your state... good luck trying that on a Base
    01-27-10 10:31 PM
    How about this one?

ThinkGeek :: ThinkGeek Bluetooth Retro Handset

I guess it's legal to talk on the phone <without a hands free device> and drive in your state... good luck trying that on a Base
    Or you could not talk on the phone in the car at all and save yourself an accident.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 01-27-10 at 10:40 PM.
    01-27-10 10:33 PM
    Actually it isn't and I DO NOT talk/text and drive. Ever. I wait until I stop somewhere like a restaurant or something. They just signed a bill to make it illegal here in PA and I couldn't be happier. I have been hit twice (not seriously just a bump) by people talking on a phone and it took all I had to not bounce their phones off the ground. Its pretty bad when someone hits a full size 1980 Ford pickup with a a 6in lift kit and 35in tires because they "didn't see it." Thats the truck I drive by the way

Polychrome I was just making light of BT headsets. There are many nice and slim ones but I just don't have a need for one so I thought I'd make a little joke. Thanks for the link though
    01-27-10 10:39 PM
    The latest recommendation I have for you my friend!

01-27-10 10:40 PM
    That is great but I like Polychromes better! Although that pic is growing on me!
    01-27-10 10:42 PM
    Actually it isn't and I DO NOT talk/text and drive. Ever. I wait until I stop somewhere like a restaurant or something. They just signed a bill to make it illegal here in PA and I couldn't be happier. I have been hit twice (not seriously just a bump) by people talking on a phone and it took all I had to not bounce their phones off the ground. Its pretty bad when someone hits a full size 1980 Ford pickup with a a 6in lift kit and 35in tires because they "didn't see it." Thats the truck I drive by the way
    I live in NYC and the darnest thing happens when you pull over to make a call... some traffic agent walks up to your car and scans your registration for a no standing violation!

I think I'll keep using my bluetooth thank you
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-27-10 at 10:49 PM.
    01-27-10 10:44 PM
    Oh I agree with you. I don't have a problem with people using their BT or a hands free kit in a car. To me that is what they were made for. I just hate it when I see some younger kid actually texting away on their awesome EnV3 while trying to drive down the interstate at 75mph. I don't do it just because I don't drive far enough that I can't wait to talk to someone. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings so if I offended you or anyone else I apologize.
    01-27-10 10:50 PM
    not at all
    01-27-10 10:54 PM
    Polychrome I was just making light of BT headsets.
    And you think I didn't understand that?
    01-27-10 11:15 PM
    I do use a bluetooth. I use the blueant z9i but I bought that so I didn't have to have the phone in hand. Again if you want to surf then surf. I am again old fashoned but the person on the other side of the conversation gets my attention. I usually call them for a reasonand not to surf the web.
    Bring on lte all you want and disable it on me. I had AT&T and never used it.

01-27-10 11:27 PM
    @Polychrome
    Actually I typed that before I clicked the link and saw that awesome BT headset. I just forget to edit it out after I got the joke

01-27-10 11:27 PM
    i cant really see the point of it. i'm not the kind of person who will spend hours talking on the phone (****, i dont even hit 200 min/month), so why would i need to surf the web?
    although my friend on att uses it, and i must say, it was quite annoying being on the other end of the line. all i could hear was the tapping of the keyboard as he looked up something. if its that important, i'll just call you back
    01-27-10 11:48 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD