Okay, bear with me please as I lay out my situation. I live in Anchorage where there are essentially 2 providers. ACS Alaska offers CDMA and, I think, EVDO. The competitor is AT & T Alaska which is all GSM; no 3G yet.

So......I can get a Pearl or Curve that works on either network but my old eyes can't read those little numbers and my big thumbs can't hit those little buttons. A T & T has iPhones in stock and they certainly look cool. But - I have heard not wonderful things about their GSM network. I've also heard that if I buy an unlocked phone, it will default to A T & T's GSM so I may as well get an iPhone.

However......what happens if I go to Hawaii and buy a Storm? I can set up an account with my current (Alaska) number and then bring it back? The ACS rep didn't really want to tell me but I was able to drag out of her that a Verizon phone would probably work on their network. I am assuming this may be because the Storm is equipped with both CDMA and GSM modes.

Will this work? Any drawbacks, like losing voice mail or having to dial the area code every time to make a local call? Roaming charges? Any other way I can get a cool touch screen phone that works on ACS' CDMA network?
    11-22-08 08:57 PM
    I bought an iPhone today with a 30-day return deal. I'm going to Hawaii on Tuesday for Thanksgiving so I'll try and talk to a Verizon rep when I'm there.

If I love this iPhone, I'm done. If I hate it, I can take it back. If I can figure out how to make a Storm work here, I can give this iPhone to my wife or an employee. We'll see.
    11-23-08 07:55 PM
    It won't work on the CDMA network unless they're willing to add the ESN. It's hard to explain, but CDMA doesn't use SIM cards and therefore needs to add the ESN to their network in order for a phone they didn't sell you to work. On the other hand, if you buy a Verizon storm and unlock it it will probably work on AT&T because, as you mentioned, it's got both GSM and CDMA.

So if I were you I'd call your CDMA provider and be like "here's the deal, I want a Storm but you don't offer it, and I really don't want to leave you for AT&T- will you add the ESN for the Storm for me?" They'll probably say no...but you never know, you are in Anchorage...I know in Yellowknife they're a lot more understanding then they are in Toronto lol.

If not your only option is to used an unlocked Verizon or Vodaphone on AT&T.
    11-23-08 11:01 PM
    Navan summed it up best. Welcome to Crackberry.com
    11-23-08 11:12 PM
    Have a nice trip to Hawaii man. Pick me up a Storm too while you're there.
    Last edited by damage76; 11-24-08 at 10:15 AM.
    11-24-08 10:08 AM
    You can get the storm to work on ACS's network. You just have to find the right person in the service department to help you get the ESN added to their network. I was able to get mine (which I bought unlocked off ebay) added to my ACS account. However I have been unable to get the browser to function. I've only been using it for two days now so I still have a bit of hope on being able to get it up and running. My GF still has her Verison account from NJ and she's always using it to check her e-mail and play on facebook.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get my browser to install on my phone? Hints and tips would all be appreciated.
    05-22-09 01:29 PM
    LOL, somehow I think the OP may have figured it all out by now, since it was18 months ago that he posted this. Kind of a long time to wait.
    05-22-09 02:04 PM
    Okay, bear with me please as I lay out my situation. I live in Anchorage where there are essentially 2 providers. ACS Alaska offers CDMA and, I think, EVDO. The competitor is AT & T Alaska which is all GSM; no 3G yet.

So......I can get a Pearl or Curve that works on either network but my old eyes can't read those little numbers and my big thumbs can't hit those little buttons. A T & T has iPhones in stock and they certainly look cool. But - I have heard not wonderful things about their GSM network. I've also heard that if I buy an unlocked phone, it will default to A T & T's GSM so I may as well get an iPhone.

However......what happens if I go to Hawaii and buy a Storm? I can set up an account with my current (Alaska) number and then bring it back? The ACS rep didn't really want to tell me but I was able to drag out of her that a Verizon phone would probably work on their network. I am assuming this may be because the Storm is equipped with both CDMA and GSM modes.

Will this work? Any drawbacks, like losing voice mail or having to dial the area code every time to make a local call? Roaming charges? Any other way I can get a cool touch screen phone that works on ACS' CDMA network?
    I know that verizon Storms work just fine up here in Alaska. My GF has one (serviced through Verizon in New Jersey) and uses it for everything. I liked it so much I bought a factory unlocked 9530 and am in the process of trying to get the service books so I can get the data hooked up. But if you buy the phone from Verizon and get it hooked up in another state and working you should have no problems running it up here since ACS is an exclusive partner to Verizon up here.

Trying to get the phone setup up here when it is a verizon phone is a real pain (trust me... I'm dealing with that now). I'll start a thread in the Storm 9530 forum detailing how I get it ironed out if I ever do.

Hope that helps.
    05-26-09 10:11 AM
    LOL, somehow I think the OP may have figured it all out by now, since it was18 months ago that he posted this. Kind of a long time to wait.
    Sorry... didn't see the date. Maybe he can give me a few tips if he did get his up and running on ACS (since I'm still trying to get mine fully functional)
    05-26-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD