i ported my number from vzw today and i was woundering if the phone can be sold so it can cover the ETF. i dont want to sell the phone and not know if the esn is clean or not. id hate to get someones hopes up to find out the esn is locked
    06-13-09 11:33 PM
    Once canceled, it should be clean, but also make sure that VZW released your devices PIN.
    06-13-09 11:44 PM
    Call vzw cs and tell them you are considering buying a phone you saw on ebay and want to confirm it has a clean esn...viola...you'll know if the esn is clean for sure and they'll have no idea who made the call. Win/win.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 11:45 PM
    Generally, it can take as much as 30 days after the ETF has been paid for the ESN release to propagate through all networks. Be patient.

06-14-09 12:30 AM
    twins is wise beyond his....well, he's pretty old...so he's just as wise as his years? idk how that works...anyway, what he said.
    06-14-09 01:32 AM
    Generally, it can take as much as 30 days after the ETF has been paid for the ESN release to propagate through all networks. Be patient.

what if it was unlocked after being canceled and i sold it to a non vzw user?
    06-14-09 01:38 AM
    well if you're using on GSM you just need the PIN to be released from the BIS/BES profile. the ESN isn't used by GSM carriers (i don't think)...

so you should be okay, might not work. it is a complicated answer without being able to see the old account and new account and know all the details.
    06-14-09 01:58 AM
    Unlocking the phone & releasing the ESN are two different things. Unlocking the phone simply means it can be used by the original owner on any compatible network. Releasing the ESN means there are no holds of the phone.

If a dual mode phone (GSM & CDMA capable) is unlocked, it means you can put a non VZW approved SIM in it - good for when you travel overseas. With a single mode GSM phone, it means you can take your phone off AT&T & put it on T-Mobile or vice-versa. There is no unlocking of a CDMA phone.

The ESN list is inter-carrier. If your ESN isn't clear, it is because of one of two things. Either you haven't paid your final bill or ETF, or the phone is stolen. Reciprocity between carriers exists to ensure a stolen Sprint phone isn't activated on USCellular or a VZW phone that didn't pay final bill or ETF can't be activated on Sprint.

Phones that can be unlocked on VZW include the Omnia, Storm & 8830WE. But unlocking these phones only releases the GSM side, not the native CDMA side. You can't even take an unlocked Storm to AT&T or T-Mobile if the CDMA ESN is losted as having a hold on it.

The ESN list is a positive response list, which is why it might tale a bit to propagate throughout all networks. VZW releases the ESN & lists it as clear. Until the other carriers receive & validate, it isn't really released yet. That could take up to 30 days, but usually is less.

06-14-09 02:02 AM
    so then the GSM carriers register the ESN as well as the info connected to the SIM card...good to know.
    06-14-09 02:07 AM
    Yes, but only to protect against stolen phones or unfulfilled contracts.

I don't believe they even have to ask for it. The info is encoded in the activation process.

06-14-09 02:28 AM
    okay, i will pay the etf (was going to anyway) then call vzw verify everything then sell thanks for everyones help!
    06-14-09 02:32 AM
    okay, i will pay the etf (was going to anyway) then call vzw verify everything then sell thanks for everyones help!
    I never for a moment suspected you wouldn't be paying the ETF. I simply wanted to point out that you'd need to pay it, then sell the phone. It wouldn't work the other way around.

06-14-09 03:17 AM
    I got a phone off my co-worker who ported his number from VZW to AT&T. I had to wait until the end of his bill cycle with VZW before I could activate the phone on my sons account.
    06-14-09 03:51 AM
    i ported my number from vzw today and i was woundering if the phone can be sold so it can cover the ETF. i dont want to sell the phone and not know if the esn is clean or not. id hate to get someones hopes up to find out the esn is locked
    u sold that phone how much would u want for it and would it work with sprint PM me about it please =]
    06-14-09 04:45 AM
    wont' work with sprint. sucks to be you jacob.
    06-14-09 09:54 AM
    I never for a moment suspected you wouldn't be paying the ETF. I simply wanted to point out that you'd need to pay it, then sell the phone. It wouldn't work the other way around.

oh i know i didnt think you were saying that i wouldnt pay lol
    06-14-09 01:09 PM
    With Sprint (and I'm assuming VZW) once you cancel a phone you have to pay off your final bill/ETF before it can be sold.
    06-14-09 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD