Hello all,

My first post here and I have to say it's nice to find a community with so many helpful people on ONE subject. Thanks for being part of it!

I've read some threads and soon found me wanting the 8900. However, I soon learned that Verizon wouldn't support that, so then I got a bit disheartened and decided to come back here and ask for your opinion.

Do you have any suggestions for a Verizon BlackBerry? I realize I could go with AT&T, but I had tried that out with an iPhone and to be honest, in my area, I was much happier with Verizon's reliability over AT&T's... so I think I'll stick with Verizon.

I did read the review here of the Tour, and that looks intriguing, but I'm unsure when that is slated to come out? (Or is it already available?)

Again, if you can offer any suggestions for a Verizon BlackBerry, I'd appreciate it.

I reckon I should describe my usual usage: I would use it for calendar, contacts, some web-browsing, and retrieving/sending email. I'm a school teacher, so I don't really need a LOT of high-performing software apps. Of course, the ability to customize themes is pretty cool (or is that standard on ALL BlackBerrys?)

Thanks for your help!
    Ted
    07-12-09 01:10 PM
    Get the tour. Verizon should get it tomorrow, I think. Go! Go! Go!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 01:13 PM
    The Tour actually hit Verizon stores today. I picked mine up this morning.

I'm not going to say run out and buy it right now. I've only had a few hours to mess with it, so I can't give you a solid review yet...but it's the most similar you'll find on Verizon to the 8900 IMO.
    07-12-09 01:13 PM
    The Tour is available as of today. As an alternative, the 8330 has been out for quite a while and is an excellent choice. It's stable and has most of the bugs worked out. If you prefer not to be on the leading edge with a new OS and new hardware, it might be the best choice for you. It will likely be supported for quite some time.
    07-12-09 01:15 PM
    Wow, I can't get over how fast you all responded and so kindly! Thanks for taking the time to give me some answers.

Kristin, may I ask what BB you had BEFORE the Tour and if you notice (just so far) any pros or cons?

Jeff, thanks for the advice on the 8330... I'll definitely look into that as well. Stability is VERY nice for this old man (at age 42!) LOL!

Again, you all have my thanks... much appreciated!
    07-12-09 01:33 PM
    At the same time, you may find that the Tour works just fine for you.

With Blackberry App world gearing new apps towards the Bold/Storm/Tour/8900 and newer devices going forward, you may find (as I am) that your trusty Curve (8330), while still very reliable and functional, is starting to show its age when asked to do other stuff besides email and calls.

There might be a few glitches here and there with the Tour, but its not like its a brand-new, never before released OS. Its got its roots in the Bold and Storm, so for the most part the OS should have its kinks worked thru already.

07-12-09 02:21 PM
    Go with the tour....we just launched it today...Phone is awsome so far
    07-12-09 02:52 PM
    Thanks, LaTuFu, and Wakesk8er18, for your input as well.

I have a question. I've read that the Tour does NOT have WiFi... and I don't think I've FULLY understood WiFi vs. the Internet that Verizon offers.

What is the advantage of WiFi vs. their regular Internet? I'm guessing that WiFi is useful for when I can't get service (perhaps in a building with thick walls, etc.)... but not sure if that's a correct assumption.
    07-12-09 04:03 PM
    What is the advantage of WiFi vs. their regular Internet? I'm guessing that WiFi is useful for when I can't get service (perhaps in a building with thick walls, etc.)... but not sure if that's a correct assumption.
    That is the advantage. You can still use the phone in a wifi area if your main data signal is weak or missing.

It will also allow you to still receive data/emails while on a phone call. Something a phone without a wifi connection can't do.

07-12-09 04:17 PM
    That is the advantage. You can still use the phone in a wifi area if your main data signal is weak or missing.

It will also allow you to still receive data/emails while on a phone call. Something a phone without a wifi connection can't do.

That's something to definitely take into consideration! I wonder why BlackBerry didn't include WiFi on the Tour?
    07-12-09 04:26 PM
    They did not include wifi because Verizon is not a fan of the wifi system. A regional rep told me that whether it is true or not I dont know. He said that if people are hitting off of wifi they are not using data minutes and I guess some folks do not get unlimited data plans with their smart phones. Who gets a smart phone without an unlimited data plan? As far as I can tell blackberry is an independent sold service with verizon that is only unlimited for $29.99. On that note I would go with the Tour because of the screen and 3.2 meg camera as well as the physical qwerty keyboard. I am a curve fan and I am just waiting for the possibility that there will be a storm 2 with a similar interface as the iphone. Or you could just wait 4-6 months and RIM will release something new. They have released three new berries in the last six months with verizon alone (storm/pearl flip/tour)
    07-12-09 04:41 PM
    I would recommend looking at the Storm and the Tour. Go in to a Verizon store, play with both and pick which ever you like the most.
    07-12-09 05:11 PM
    I have the new 8330 curve it's great my first smart phone and by far the best phone I've ever had it doesn't have wifi but verizon makes you pay and extra 30 bucks a month for an unlimited data plan which unlocked everything which is great to have absolute freedom I would of wated for the 8900 which came out like the day after I got my 8330 but this was cheaper and still an awesome phone It was 198 after everything which inluded a bodyglove case car charger and everything it normally comes with it was a promo at my local verizon store.

07-12-09 06:30 PM
    I have the new 8330 curve it's great my first smart phone and by far the best phone I've ever had it doesn't have wifi but verizon makes you pay and extra 30 bucks a month for an unlimited data plan which unlocked everything which is great to have absolute freedom I would of wated for the 8900 which came out like the day after I got my 8330 but this was cheaper and still an awesome phone It was 198 after everything which inluded a bodyglove case car charger and everything it normally comes with it was a promo at my local verizon store.

Thanks, Metallic.... yes, I like the 8900 too... but since Verizon doesn't offer that... I'm now torn!
    07-12-09 06:38 PM
    If coverage is not an issue at all between both carriers I would say the clear winner is the 8900 IMO.
    07-12-09 06:49 PM
    If coverage is not an issue at all between both carriers I would say the clear winner is the 8900 IMO.
    Hi Xpimp, thanks for responding.

If I didn't have such a sour taste in my mouth with AT&T (I have nothing against them... but in my area, Verizon is MUCH better coverage)... then I would go with the 8900...hands down!
    07-12-09 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD