Was just listening to the radio and heard an AT&T commercial.

In this commercial, there was a male & female having a conversation about AT&T Wireless & the Curve2. Normal, right? Well, almost. This was the third time I heard this radio spot in the last day or so on both KSLX 100.7 FM & KDKB 93.3 - both serving the Phoenix market.

I know this is a paraphrase, since I didn't write down the ad - but this is what was being offered on their version of the Curve2:

GSM technology means you can use your phone most anywhere in the world, included with the phone.

Full GPS with AT&T Telenav for turn-by-turn directions anywhere on the AT&T network, included with the phone.

Then they went on to say that the Curve2 required a BlackBerry data plan at extra cost.

I find it interesting that they went out of their way to tell me in their radio disclaimer that a data plan was required at extra cost, but worldwide roaming & full GPS are included with the phone.

I wonder how many people will be throwing fits when they see that $9.99 Telnav charge, as well as the astronomical roaming rates.

I post it here, in the VZW forums, as a way to illustrate that it isn't a good idea to be slamming on one carrier (VZW) because another carrier doesn't have misleading advertising. We've had so many people claiming VZW advertised this or said that, especially with regards to GPS. Yet I heard the AT&T ad loud & clear telling me that Telenav & worldwide roaming were included with the Curve2.

Every carrier out there says things which may be interpreted in many ways. Some of the interpretations are valid, some not so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 04:16 PM
    God bless the advertising dept.

05-13-09 06:47 PM
    They said "included" not "included for free," right? CYA.

This is one of the many reasons why a clear understanding of the English language is so very important.
    05-14-09 08:32 AM
    They said "included" not "included for free," right? CYA.

This is one of the many reasons why a clear understanding of the English language is so very important.
    A few years ago, Verizon said "GPS included." They did not say full turn-by-turn directions included for free. They did not say "Full GPS capabilities" and never once compared it with Garmin or TomTom. Yet we still have dummies running around who've read their own interpretation into it and didn't exercise their WFG.

And, when the ad says "included with the device" without ever stating it is an extra-cost feature, the courts and the language both hold that it comes with the device - standard.

It would seem the understanding of language needs to be improved on your end.

05-14-09 09:05 AM
    A few years ago, Verizon said "GPS included." They did not say full turn-by-turn directions included for free. They did not say "Full GPS capabilities" and never once compared it with Garmin or TomTom. Yet we still have dummies running around who've read their own interpretation into it and didn't exercise their WFG.

And, when the ad says "included with the device" without ever stating it is an extra-cost feature, the courts and the language both hold that it comes with the device - standard.

It would seem the understanding of language needs to be improved on your end.

Or just ask; don't - a s s u (n) m e
    makes an out of u n me
    05-14-09 09:18 AM
    I understand just fine, but thanks for your concern.
    I'm not assuming, I'm reserving judgment until I read the fine print.
    05-14-09 10:06 AM
    And the other thing is that the "curve 2" that they're advertising is the 8310, not the 8900...

05-14-09 10:06 AM
    If I bought every new Callaway or Taylor Made driver, each year, that claims I will get 20 more yards off the tee I would be knocking it about 600 yards by now. If I changed my auto insurance and saved 15% or $250 every time I went from one carrier to the another they would soon be paying me to insure my cars. Advertising is advertising. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!
    05-14-09 10:17 AM
    I understand just fine, but thanks for your concern.
    I'm not assuming, I'm reserving judgment until I read the fine print.
    Apologies if I sounded harsh earlier - was a rough night and I think I misread your first point.

As you said - the proof is in the fine print. My point was in reference to the ongoing chatter about suing VZW for GPS claims - especially when VZW lost no cases in the matter and, in fact, no cases went to trial & none were settled in favor of any plaintiffs.

Advertising is just that - advertising. Laws are in place to protect consumers against false or misleading advertising, but those laws are being ignored more & more in recent years.

Still, if I am told that "turn-by-turn" GPS directions are "included with every Curve2" AT&T offers, most people would take is as exactly that - it is included with EVERY one of them & not just the ones I pay for an extra service on.

05-14-09 03:32 PM
    They have to provide those disclaimer's legally.

Nice to see someone else from the valley around.
    05-14-09 04:23 PM
    Buyer Beware.

Don't trust anyone, anywhere, for any reason.....unless they're a Crackberry user of course
    05-14-09 04:51 PM
    Apologies if I sounded harsh earlier - was a rough night and I think I misread your first point.

As you said - the proof is in the fine print. My point was in reference to the ongoing chatter about suing VZW for GPS claims - especially when VZW lost no cases in the matter and, in fact, no cases went to trial & none were settled in favor of any plaintiffs.

Advertising is just that - advertising. Laws are in place to protect consumers against false or misleading advertising, but those laws are being ignored more & more in recent years.

Still, if I am told that "turn-by-turn" GPS directions are "included with every Curve2" AT&T offers, most people would take is as exactly that - it is included with EVERY one of them & not just the ones I pay for an extra service on.

No offense taken, but thanks for elaborating.
    I do find this information interesting, and as always, enjoy reading your posts, so I'd hate to sidetrack them, or be perceived as a troll, because that is certainly not my intent.

I have learned through experience (on both sides of the fence) that companies will push the limits in advertising as far as possible.
    There will always be some consumer's who will misinterpret information to justify their indignation on one point or another.
    My point was, and is, it is very important to listen to the details and read the fine print, and always be skeptical of a deal which sounds "too good to be true."
    Some folks will still invariably ignore the fine print, and then get upset when it costs them, but a few will listen; and after all isn't it all about reducing support calls and making more consumers happy? Especially since I'm one of the consumers.
    Have a good night.
    PLH&GH (Peace, Love, Happiness, and Good Health) ~AC
    05-14-09 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD