Ok folks, I know I've been slightly outspoken about Verizon store and phone center service reps not knowing their head from their rears sometimes and I'm not one to put a lot of faith in what they tell you about plan changes, or in this case when the Curve is coming to VZW. I'll just wait till its here, then get exicited!
    However, something did come up in a converstaion with a vz rep yesterday while discussing the new unlimited plans.
    I asked about the Curve and the girl said she had no idea about it, which I took as an honest statement. BUT! She said that VZW also just released the ability to take a competitors phone and use it on the VZ Network. Just bring your own ESN and it works just like it's supposed to. I clarified by asking, "So I can get an At&T Curve and jsut turn it on VZW with all SMS, MMS, and Blackberry data and it would work the same as if on its primary carrier?" Yes.
    Now, this may have been around a while, I"m not sure. But many of us are under some kind of contract and would have to pay full pop for a new curve when it comes out anyhow, so why wait for VZW branded?
    Obviously more information needs to be gathered and this may be old news, but first I heard of it and didnt see any forum talk recently.

Does anyone know if this would actually work?

T
    02-20-08 09:52 AM
    No, it will not work. ATT uses GSM for their phone service and uses SIM cards. Verizon uses CDMA and the two technologies are not interchangeable. You could, theoretically, take a phone from Sprint to Verizon but not from ATT or T-Mobile.
    02-20-08 09:56 AM
    Wasn't there something a little while back about Verizon opening up data?
    Anyone?
    02-20-08 10:26 AM
    Opening up Data/Network... yes. Making one technology work with another... no. Not yet anyway. Once Verizon moves to 4G sometimes closer to 2010 even their phones will have SIMs and the technology in the US will have gone back to one-type instead of two (GSM and CDMA). At least that's the theory anyway.
    02-20-08 10:29 AM
    Good to see another Connecticut-er here TeeJay!
    02-20-08 10:49 AM
    Here is an article discussing what you are talking about. Pigs Fly, **** Freezes Over and Verizon Opens Up Its Network -- No, Really | Epicenter from Wired.com (sorry you'll have to search it...i don't have 10 posts yet and can't post url's)

The network will be open to CDMA devices only. It is my understanding that by 2009, you will be able to build your own cell phone if you wanted to and bring it to the network.....i don't know why you'd want to do that but you'll be able to.
    02-20-08 12:30 PM
    But if i.....
    02-20-08 12:31 PM
    .......wait to post a few more lines.......
    02-20-08 12:31 PM
    ....then the 10 message minimum will be lifted.....
    02-20-08 12:32 PM
    02-20-08 12:32 PM
    Opening up Data/Network... yes. Making one technology work with another... no. Not yet anyway. Once Verizon moves to 4G sometimes closer to 2010 even their phones will have SIMs and the technology in the US will have gone back to one-type instead of two (GSM and CDMA). At least that's the theory anyway.
    Woohoo! About the same time the Curve hits the store! Come on 2015! I can't wait for the 9000 series!
    02-20-08 12:34 PM
    Woohoo! About the same time the Curve hits the store! Come on 2015! I can't wait for the 9000 series!
    Well, too bad we won't be around to find out how good 4G is. Skynet should be bombing the world any day now and the Terminators will take over..... or did that get postponed too. :lol:
    02-20-08 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD