Hello all,

I have a question for the reps or to anyone that may have done this, I have a brother moving down from up north, he doesnt have a cell phone and wants one, but isnt able to get his own with verizon for obvious reason that have to deal with credit and all.

So my question is this,
    I have a family plan, can I add him anytime or do I need to wait until my annual renewal?

If I get him a bb (cos thats what he wants)(oh and he is payin for all this) and for some reason or other it doesnt work out, can I drop him off the plan at a later time and if so is there a time limit on how long I need to keep that number active?

Thanks for your info all
    11-08-09 08:57 PM
    You can add a line at anytime I believe. If you cancel the line I believe theres a specific contract for each line and there will be fees unless you go to full term. I don't work at Verizon but think that's how it works
    11-08-09 08:59 PM
    As per part one, you can add a line at any time. assuming that you will sign a 2 year contract you must keep line for 2 years or risk paying an early termination fee.

Now forgive me if I offend you by questioning your brother's integrity, but if his credit is that bad that they won't give him a phone period at all, what makes you think he will hold up his end of the bargain? It is my experience that when loaning money or doing something like this to help a family member, more often than not it just ends up with you getting burned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 09:03 PM
    Yes you can add a line at anytime. The normal contract term is 2 years although you can opt for a one yr or month to month. Beyond the initial 30 day test drive period the ETF starts at 175 and decreases 5 dollars each month. Now to help him out you can add a line to your account and after 6 months have him put it in his name. With VZW as long as the account remains in good standing for 6 months and did not initially require a deposit to start he can keep his same phone and number and start his own account with a lowered deposit. It only applies to the first line but it's a good way for someone struggling with credit issues to get started.
    11-08-09 09:11 PM
    Yes you can add a line at anytime. The normal contract term is 2 years although you can opt for a one yr or month to month. Beyond the initial 30 day test drive period the ETF starts at 175 and decreases 5 dollars each month. Now to help him out you can add a line to your account and after 6 months have him put it in his name. With VZW as long as the account remains in good standing for 6 months and did not initially require a deposit to start he can keep his same phone and number and start his own account with a lowered deposit. It only applies to the first line but it's a good way for someone struggling with credit issues to get started.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is great advice and new information to me (about the ability to transfer service after 6 months in good standing.) Thanks for it, I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

/end of hijack
    11-08-09 09:14 PM
    That's something you can do at anytime actually. It's called an assumption of liability and basically transfers the service into someone else's name. The phone, the phone number, and the contract all stays the same but you're freed of the financial responsibility. Good for teenagers starting out on their parent's plan or couples breaking up and things like that since that eliminates the ETF.
    11-08-09 09:22 PM
    Jim.....
    Well your right about the integrity thing, but he's going to college and getting his sh!t straight finally and I wanna help him, but its a big risk as far as money, so who knows I might not do this cos I didn't reliaze there was an etf for that line.

11-08-09 09:30 PM
    If you really want to help him & he is actually in need of a phone, take this into consideration - you can put limits/blocks on the phone, to keep him from running up your bill. If it still doesn't work out, turn off his phone - the most you'd be out is $10/mo.

11-08-09 09:35 PM
    Alternatively, buy him a pay as you go phone as a gift. Then he's solely responsible from the start.
    11-08-09 09:37 PM
    If you really want to help him & he is actually in need of a phone, take this into consideration - you can put limits/blocks on the phone, to keep him from running up your bill. If it still doesn't work out, turn off his phone - the most you'd be out is $10/mo.

The other thing he can do is make his family member buy a phone off Craigslist or eBay and then add the line month to month. If his family member doesnt pay the $10, then he can cancel the line without penalty.

Just another thought.

11-08-09 09:37 PM
    If you really wanna do this, I would recommend making him pay in advance. I understand the wanting to help, but set limits, and tell it how it is. If he crosses you, take his phone and sell it to cover the ETF...... or like dad says if its just a dumbphone you are only out 10 bucks a month
    11-08-09 09:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD