So here is the situation
    I am on a family share with the rest of my family, no other blackberrys and no data plans
    this is the verizon family select plan
    I want to add a blackberry but not the data plan which costs extra
    i just want to buy one off ebay and put it on for the music/schedule/coolness of it
    will i still be able to use the aim/web(per mb) without having to add a data plan for extra $$$?
    thanks
    -jeffg
    07-31-08 08:13 PM
    You cannot activate a blackberry on vzw without a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 08:16 PM
    and how much more is it to add a data plan to my regular family plan?
    07-31-08 08:21 PM
    29.99/month
    07-31-08 08:22 PM
    If only there were 35925 more threads about not having a data plan.

07-31-08 10:11 PM
    You may be required to put a data plan on when you activate the BB, but you DO NOT NEED A DATA PLAN ON A BLACKBERRY..... sorry about that. If you don't want the plan you can cancel it immediately. My friend has Verizon and a BB and has no data plan.
    08-01-08 09:05 AM
    You are certainly welcome to believe that but Verizon will not let you have a blackberry active without a data plan. I'm sorry your "friend's" account was handled incorrectly but that doesn't mean other people will have the same experience.

08-01-08 09:21 AM
    Interesting, he and his wife have Curves and no data plan. I guess they both got lucky....I know there are a lot of threads about this, mostly from people who have never tried or done it, but it is possible.
    08-01-08 09:32 AM
    I've heard u have to start a data plan to activate the berry, but then u can cancel after one month of use

08-01-08 09:34 AM
    Unfortunately, this is incorrect. You CANNOT have a Blackberry through Verizon, and I don't really honestly care what anyone has to say on that. My mum and several friends all work for VZW - and I am pretty sure they know what they are talking about, not to mention the countless reps who have said the same thing to me personally.

Besides, honestly, it comes back to this age old debate: What good is a Blackberry really without a data plan?
    08-01-08 09:40 AM
    I work for Verizon and while it is *possible* for you to have a Blackberry with no data service, we are not supposed to activate a blackberry without it. So whoever has one without data either got lucky and got a new or misinformed employee or knows someone that works for Verizon and had them remove it.
    Last edited by darkmoon66; 08-01-08 at 01:28 PM.
    08-01-08 01:26 PM
    darkmoon66 - my friend had it activated with a data plan and then cancelled the data plan. I'm not sure if this was 'legal' but they now have BB Curves with no data plan. Maybe it all depends on who you get when you call Verizon Customer Service.....
    08-01-08 01:35 PM
    darkmoon66 - my friend had it activated with a data plan and then cancelled the data plan. I'm not sure if this was 'legal' but they now have BB Curves with no data plan. Maybe it all depends on who you get when you call Verizon Customer Service.....
    Well, perhaps we just arn't supposed to remove it at retail store locations and customer service over the phone can. Even though they may say no it is worth a shot anyway. I just know that my activation system will give me an error message if i try to activate a blackberry without data or remove it and not add a different data feature.

BTW/FYI: Verizon has 3 data plans for Blackberry:
    $44.99 for Unlimited IMAP/POP3 email sync and web.
    $29.99 for Unlimited POP3 email sync and web
    $24.99 for 10MB IMAP/POP3 email sync and web

So if they don't let you activated without a data plan, you stuck with at least $25 a month
    08-01-08 06:58 PM
    That's not right... I have the 29.99/month plan and all of my email accounts are IMAP, and they all sync to my BlackBerry.

Here's how the data plans *really* go:

For older smartphones (XV-6700 et al) it's 44.99/month, no questions asked, unlimited data.

For new smartphones (XV-6800/6900, 8330, et al) it's 29.99/month, unlimited data.

The next plan down is 24.99/month, 10mb allowed, $0.015/kb over - this plan is NOT AVAILABLE for BlackBerry 88/83/8130's.
    08-01-08 11:04 PM
    That's not right... I have the 29.99/month plan and all of my email accounts are IMAP, and they all sync to my BlackBerry.

Here's how the data plans *really* go:

For older smartphones (XV-6700 et al) it's 44.99/month, no questions asked, unlimited data.

For new smartphones (XV-6800/6900, 8330, et al) it's 29.99/month, unlimited data.

The next plan down is 24.99/month, 10mb allowed, $0.015/kb over - this plan is NOT AVAILABLE for BlackBerry 88/83/8130's.
    $24.99 plan is still available for Corporate/Business accounts, even on the 88/83/8130s.

Yes you are right about IMAP sync on the $29.99 plan, my mistake. However, with this plan you will not be able to sync email with a BES, you need $44.99 to do that, although I doubt the original poster will need to do that.

Also another thing to bring up while we are talking about the data plans is that while it does say "unlimited data", it is capped at around 5Gb.

$29.99 is the gonna be the best data plan to go with for most people.
    08-02-08 03:26 AM
    There have been recent changes to the systems that will not allow any rep to remove a data plan while a line has a blackberry active I'm not saying "your friend" doesn't have a bberry with out data but you can't do it now its not possible. If you have a blackberry you have a blackberry data plan that's it.

08-02-08 03:27 PM
    Also another thing to bring up while we are talking about the data plans is that while it does say "unlimited data", it is capped at around 5Gb.
    The way I understand it, the cap only applies to tethered data usage. If I go into My Verizon and look at my bill, it tells me kb used/allotted and under "allotted" it says "unlimited."

Also - my mistake about the 24.99 service plan, and you are correct about the BES plan being 44.99.
    08-02-08 03:51 PM
    its not capped at 5gb

you can go over the 5gb cap, but you'll be charged 25 cents/mb for every mb over the 5gb
    08-02-08 04:10 PM
    its not capped at 5gb

you can go over the 5gb cap, but you'll be charged 25 cents/mb for every mb over the 5gb
    Thats for using the phone tethering or a broadband card. With the data devices like a blackberry, they will just limited your access after 5GB of data have been used.
    08-02-08 06:38 PM
    right now the 29.99 plan is the best for vzw customers
    08-02-08 06:55 PM
    right now the 29.99 plan is the best for vzw customers
    Yes, I agree
    08-02-08 07:06 PM
    So for the $29.00 a month I should have internet access on my BB curve yes? I just got it today and I have email POP, but no web access
    08-02-08 08:09 PM
    So for the $29.00 a month I should have internet access on my BB curve yes? I just got it today and I have email POP, but no web access
    Do you have a browser Icon? looks like a globe?
    08-02-08 08:28 PM
    Do you have a browser Icon? looks like a globe?
    I didn't create that BB user information, I am now surfing fark on it
    08-02-08 08:44 PM
    You cannot activate a blackberry on vzw without a data plan.

There have been people that do this, but its pointless. No internet, No email, just regular txt msging, Kind of like getting and enV. Lol Just have to know the right people to write it into your account.

and how much more is it to add a data plan to my regular family plan?
    Its just $29.99 extra on the phone line that will have the blackberry on it. Not much at all. Cheaper then the $44.99 PDA/TREO Plan.

PIN me and ill help you get the info.
    or
    Do this: Goto Options->Advanced Options-> Host Routing Table
    Then click on the top one. ( ie. Verizon [240]) might look like that
    This will re-push the applications down. And it should re-connect you to BIS and work.

If not, Do a hard reboot - Pull the battery. And see if it works now.

Hope this helps.

-J
    Last edited by mazdaboi; 08-05-08 at 09:52 PM.
    08-05-08 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD