I just ordered a Blackberry Storm today that will arrive tomorrow. I have a family plan with two blackberries already and the storm will be my 3rd. I don't want 3 blackberry lines, I want to swap the storm on my main line and put a cheap-o phone on my new line. Can I do that as soon as I activate the new line or do I have to wait 30 days or something?
    02-17-09 05:57 PM
    You should be able to do it as soon as you get the phone. If they can't do it for you on the phone, go to your local VZW store. I've seen it done there.
    02-17-09 06:05 PM
    So, no penalty for removing the data plan?
    02-17-09 06:06 PM
    Any BB line needs to have a data plan....

As I go back and reread, I don't think what you want to do is possible.

Do you already have a cheapo phone to use on the 3rd line?
    02-17-09 06:08 PM
    Any blackberry or PDA for verizon has to have the $30 data plan per line. If you switch any of your lines to a regular phone you can cancel the $30 data plan for that line only. Otherwise if you have 3 blackberries for 3 lines then you have to have 3 data plans

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 06:15 PM
    Any BB line needs to have a data plan....

As I go back and reread, I don't think what you want to do is possible.

Do you already have a cheapo phone to use on the 3rd line?
    I was planning to get a cheap-o on ebay or craigslist after I activated the line.
    02-17-09 06:19 PM
    Any blackberry or PDA for verizon has to have the $30 data plan per line. If you switch any of your lines to a regular phone you can cancel the $30 data plan for that line only. Otherwise if you have 3 blackberries for 3 lines then you have to have 3 data plans

I know that, I don't want a to use the 3rd line for a blackberry, I want to activate it and then put the storm on my primary line then put a cheap phone on the new line and cancel the data plan on that line. Hope that make sense as I think my OP was alittle confusing
    02-17-09 06:20 PM
    So, no penalty for removing the data plan?
    Well, hold on a second. Did you get any advanced device credits or other promo considerations for your current phones?

If you did, you might see chargebacks you weren't anticipating.

02-17-09 08:31 PM
    Well, hold on a second. Did you get any advanced device credits or other promo considerations for your current phones?

If you did, you might see chargebacks you weren't anticipating.

All I got was the $199 two year new contract price, does that cause me to have to keep it on the new line?
    02-17-09 08:49 PM
    All I got was the $199 two year new contract price, does that cause me to have to keep it on the new line?
    It probably will....its probably in the fine print of the contract.
    02-17-09 09:29 PM
    It probably will....its probably in the fine print of the contract.
    That would suck, I hope it's not the case. Or else I am sending the Storm back...lol.

I looked around their website and their terms and services agreement and could not find any information on if I can swap the new phone and put a non-blackberry without incurring :-(, hopefully a employee will see this thread and clear up if it's doable or not.
    Last edited by dwp1975; 02-17-09 at 10:25 PM.
    02-17-09 10:05 PM
    As far as I understand it, you can. It's actually really simple. You have two current Blackberry devices, each with a data plan, obviously. Buy the cheap phone and add a third line to that one. Then simply swap out one of the other two Blackberry phones with the new Storm.

1. Buy cheap phone.
    2. Add line.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.
    02-18-09 01:27 PM
    I'd call 611 & ask them. Get name & center location in case you need to refer back later.

Some of those promos included advanced device credits (usually $100) and even some carrier-funded rebates.

The advanced credits generally appear as such on your bill, so look them over.

02-18-09 04:11 PM
    I've bought a phone for $20 with new 2 year contract pricing and then sold it a week later for $200 and had my old phone re-activated under that line and no biggie. As long as you keep that line you activated for 2 years they don't care what phone you have on it.

02-20-09 03:08 AM
    That would suck, I hope it's not the case. Or else I am sending the Storm back...lol.

I looked around their website and their terms and services agreement and could not find any information on if I can swap the new phone and put a non-blackberry without incurring :-(, hopefully a employee will see this thread and clear up if it's doable or not.
    VZW employee checking in....

There's no penalty. You will be good to go as long as you don't cancel one of the lines.
    02-20-09 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD